“Review from a long-staying guest (nearly one month)”
Review of Alpa City Suites

Alpa City Suites
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mandaue
USA
“Review from a long-staying guest (nearly one month)”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Alpa has previously received favorable comments, and Alpa received a 2013 award from TripAdvisor. Hence, you don’t need a repeat of what has already been said.

My review will focus on what it's like to be a long-staying customer at Alpa.

OVERALL SUMMARY OF THIS REVIEW: If you have a need for a hotel for a longer stay in greater Cebu, you may want to consider Alpa City Suites. In my opinion, Alpa’s routine amenities, which are mostly quite good by Philippines standards, can make a longer stay more comfortable than many other choices in Cebu. Many of Cebu’s most popular tourist sites and malls / restaurants are within a P125 (or less) taxi ride from the hotel. If you are budget-minded, jeepneys are available near the hotel for transportation to many destinations. Alpa’s small kitchenette is very helpful and convenient, especially if you’re diet-conscious, or if you get tired of always eating out. Cheerful attitudes and good customer service appear to be the norm at Alpa. The hotel restaurant serves good food at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet, included with the room price, is well-above average for Cebu and the Philippines.

If you need details, I encourage you to keep reading.

DETAILED COMMENTS: Due to unforeseen circumstances, my stay in Mandaue / Cebu was extended to a total of about 30 days. Initially, my stay was scheduled for seven to 11 days. I had the opportunity to move to a different hotel several times during my unplanned lengthy stay in Cebu.

There are many hotel alternatives in the greater-Cebu area. Since it’s currently the rainy season, and the low tourist season, getting a room reservation on short-notice would not have been a problem. However, I chose to stay at Alpa, and not change hotels. Remarkably, it was an easy decision to stay at Alpa. What follows are some of the reasons I preferred to stay, and I did not change hotels.

The Alpa rooms have a small kitchenette, including both a medium-size refrigerator (with a moderate freezer compartment), and a microwave oven. Many hotels in Cebu have a very small refrigerator, only, with no freezer compartment. For a short stay, a small refrigerator with no freezer is fine. But, I like a particular brand of ice cream while away from home, and having a freezer to store it is necessary. The refrigerators at Alpa have room for numerous items, even though Alpa’s convenience mini-bar takes up some space. I had no problems keeping ice cream, bread, leftover food from restaurant take-outs, several 2-liter bottles of cola, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread, and other items. A microwave oven, in each room, is not too common in Cebu, even in the higher-priced hotels. For long-staying travelers conscious of their diet and expenses, it really helps to occasionally buy food at a market, and preparing it in your room.

The breakfast buffet is a highlight of the hotel stay, and it never disappointed me…..NOT EVEN ONE TIME! It has numerous main-course items (e.g., today, it had Bistec Tagalog, chicken croquettes, and a couple of other items). Eggs are cooked, to order, if desired. A high-quality soup is always available. The brewed coffee is good, and could be a lot better if they used slightly more coffee in its preparation. The coffee has good flavor, but it was simply too weak, most of the time. Nevertheless, I recommend it!

I found the overall customer-service attitude at Alpa to be better than most hotels. Also, it seemed most of the employees enjoyed working at Alpa. Frequent smiles by employees, combined with overall good customer service, can often be attributed to good hotel management, fair compensation of employees, and good work conditions.

ANECDOTE: On one occasion, I had an embarrassing emergency, and since I was traveling alone, I had to ask for unusual assistance for a short time. A young hotel employee cheerfully came to my room, and provided help that was urgently needed. He expected nothing in return for his help, but I insisted on an immediate gratuity. OK….OK….I will tell you, exactly, what happened. LOL! While performing my routine exercise regimen, I dislocated my shoulder. I was about one kilometer from the hotel, at the time of dislocation. A shoulder dislocation, if you don’t know, is a true medical emergency, and immediate medical attention is required. A shoulder dislocation means the arm bone is dislodged, temporarily, from the shoulder socket. Immediately after the injury, I knew I had a problem, but the pain was manageable, so I decided to go back to the hotel to take a shower, prior to heading to the hospital emergency room. Waiting, and not heading to the hospital, immediately, and returning to the hotel, first, was a big mistake on my part. About five minutes after the dislocation, and while in my room cleaning up prior to going to the hospital, the pain became overwhelming, and I could no longer move my arm in any direction without severe aggravation and even more pain. Thus, I was unable to dress myself, and I called for help from the hotel. The Alpa employee was there in a few seconds, and he helped me put my clothes and shoes on. Then, he helped me get a taxi. NOTE: I was offered an ambulance, but I cheerfully declined. LOL! Those of you familiar with the ambulance service in most cities in RP will understand my attempt at humor.

Room Tip: Higher floors, if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed two night here while I was in the city. I was impressed at how nice the room was and for a low price, under 30 USD per night. It is nicely located between the two malls, about 3km to either one. The breakfast Buffet had a good selection of typical breakfast foods, and even some things that would be considered lunch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, Philippines
Reviewed July 4, 2013

one of the best hotels i've stayed at.. people are so warm just like typical Cebuanos. the staff is incredibly helpful. i'd definitely stay here again. The suites are very roomy and facilities inside the suite are clean. Cable TV inside the room is one of the best i've seen. There is a LAN cable that you can use for your laptop which has a really fast internet connection. definitely best for those who are on a business trip or just going solo or having a couple's trip..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I'm staying at this hotel for another 4 days, and I am very happy. This hotel has everything!
It's new
Has nice clean rooms with a lot of space.
There is a great restaurant in the hotel.
There's a good free breakfast in the a.m. with many food choices.
It is quiet.
It's near many attractions.
The service staff is knowledgeable, and helpful.
I am used to paying $75.+ for a room like this, so currently it is a steal to stay here. Check this hotel out on hotel websites & you can get all of the information about this place.
This is a wonderful hotel at discount prices.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 4 days and we enjoyed it. The room had an ok size, the tv had a lot of channels, and cool view over mandue. THe room service delivered as asked for and food was good. We also tried the laundry service and got our white shorts back completly clean for every stain.
We took a taxi when going to Ayala but you can also take the jeepney down the road, like we did one day when we wanted to go to the market.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed June 12, 2013

i have a perfect and relaxing experience in this hotel,....great service, very clean room, the staff were friendly and accommodating, food also was hard to refuse for it was so tempting.i highly recommend alpha city suite to my friends and all the travelers who wants to experience a home away from home...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 12, 2013

we stayed here for 2 nights and are extending for 2 more nights. hotel is nice, all the staff seem helpful. room is spacious- nothing fancy, bed is comfortable, there's a writing desk, flat screen tv with cable channels, fridge, sink. with hot and cold shower with good water pressure. buffet is good. they serve rice, bread, corned beef, fruits, cereal etc. (i'm not a heavy breakfast eater so i go for the fruits.) my son loves the mango shake they have which costs P100.00. we had the 3-course meal last night. the steak was very, very good (P888). the soup and dessert, i can do without. (sorry, chef! ) taxi is pretty accessible, about P70-120 pesos to ayala depending on the traffic. the place is close to whatever you need. there's a store and a laundry place within walking distance. WIFI is soo slow and very frustrating at times.

the only issue i ran into was the misunderstanding regarding the payment. i reserved online directly to ALPA suites and i was charged P460.71 to hold the reservation and this would be deducted from the whole amount. my receipt told me the remaining balance payable to the hotel was P460.71 (deducted already along with EVAT 12% of total room charge). when i was paying i was told that the P460.71 went to DirectWithHotels Ltd and therefore couldn't be deducted from my bill. i showed the receipt and the staff and i went back and forth about this. i emphasized to them that i had no problems paying IF i was informed byt the hotel reservation person about this BUT the receipt clearly SHOWED that what i initially paid was my deposit. if it was being paid to someone else, then the hotel should inform us when we book so we know because it is misleading the customers. the hotel rectified this by finally crediting the amount to me hence issue is now settled. thanks to reina, jv and the girls. I truly appreciate it.

wifi- it is sooo slow so make sure you have your own internet connection or go somewhere else because you can't do your work here fast. perhaps this is one thing the management needs to fix: WIFI please!

we are enjoying our vacation in cebu. it is a wondeful city, with nice people. a bit calmer than manila. but i'll write about cebu next time.

as you can see from my other reviews, customer service is a big deal to me. despite the issue about that deposit, i would recommend this hotel. the staff is accommodating, respectful and helpful (they resolved my deposit issue right away). they are hardworking and are always willing to assist. not once have i seen an unfriendly face here. everybody , and i mean everybody, has a ready smile for you. i'm sure they get tired too but they always look happy.

THANK YOU, alpa suites staff. you are making our stay comfortable and fun.

room 415

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaue
Andy Hotel
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 90 in Cebu City
Quest Hotel and Conference Center - Cebu

Been to Alpa City Suites? Share your experiences!