“How soon can I go back, please?”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
London
“How soon can I go back, please?”
Reviewed July 30, 2006

I can't even begin to explain what a wonderful holiday we had on Kuramathi. Maybe it's because we've never been out of Europe before. Maybe it's because we found an unbelievable deal (£660 p/p for a week all-inclusive - all meals, drinks, flights, upgrade to superior room and sea plane transfer). Maybe we were lucky to have good weather virtually all week despite it being Monsoon season. Whatever the reason I cannot recommend it highly enough and suggest anyone reading the negative points in the other reviews take them with a large pinch of salt.

Our Monarch flights weren't too bad and luckily we didn't experience any delays at all. True, there is no more leg room than on a short haul flight which is quite hard going on a 10 hour journey outward and 11 hour journey inward but I didn't feel in any position to complain bearing in mind the overall cost of the holiday. There were two films each way and two meals.

I heard from other guests that the rough 2 hour boat transfer was a bit of an enduance test after the tiring flight. We took the sea plane so it was only a 20 min flight (great fun and fab views!) with a 30 min wait at the airport. Highly recommended for the outbound trip as it's nice just to get there quickly. We took the boat transfer on the return journey and found it absolutely fine so again, perhaps we were just lucky.

When we arrived on 14 May at the reception at Kuramathi Village we were welcomed with an glass of fresh orange juice and cold towels... bliss. Our superior room beach hut was very clean and we loved the outside shower. I have attached a picture of the bunch of bananas we showered under, took me a while to get my head around that - a bit different from home! The room was serviced twice a day and if you leave a dollar or two tip on your pillow they do a clever design in the top sheet.

The restaurant offered a great variety of different foods (including curry for breakfast??), some evenings there was a buffet and some evenings it was a la carte. Tip - the first time you go there a waiter greets you and he remains your waiter all week. You will sit at the same table for all meals so make sure you pick one you like. We arrived at around 1pm and while most people had headed straight for their rooms we made a beeline for lunch and got a great spot overlooking the bay.

There is plenty of wildlife on the island but nothing will hurt you. The fruit bats are very large and fascinating, the lizards scuttle along harmlessly, the hermit crabs are hilarious and the fish in the sea... well... the best analogy I heard from a fellow guest was "it's like sticking your head in a posh aquarium"! Such an amazing array of multicoloured fish of all shapes and sizes, we even found Nemo.

The scenery is breathtaking, the beaches are quiet, the ocean is crystal clear, the cocktails are delicious and the weather is hot. I read previous reviews complaining about the lack of sun loungers but does that really matter?!

With regards to trips we had two included in our package, a shopping trip to Rashdoo and a sunset cruise. The first was OK but I felt a bit pressured by the locals to go in every shop and buy their goods. The second was lovely and if you are fortunate do do it on a fine evening the skies glow a fantastic colour, we did the cruise on our last night which was a nice touch. The other trip we went on (but paid for) was the Coral Romance trip. Without a shadow of a doubt this was the best thing we have ever done. We stayed overnight on a tiny exclusive island and experienced total luxury. It was the most perfect, perfect, perfect 48 hours of our lives... so much so that my boyfriend proposed at sunset on the veranda of our water bungalow and we are now engaged! Treats on the trip included a couples massage with flower bath, champagne and fruit afterwards, the exlusive use of many relaxing spa areas, 4 course lunch on both days, a romantic candlelit dinner on the beach and a champagne breakfast served in our room.

I honestly can't think of a downside to this holiday and that is not just because I am glowing with post-engagement-contentment! If you are realistic about what you expect for your money then you cannot go wrong with Kuramathi Village. I never dreamt of being able to afford a trip to the Maldives but we did it for an incredibly reasonable price and actually spent far more on a basic villa holiday to Portugal last year. Puts it in to perspective really.

• Liked — The beautiful setting
  • Disliked — Air conditioning could have worked a bit better
  • Tips/Secrets — Take plenty of suncream as they only sell very low and very high factors in the shop, nothing in between.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
29 Thank mrsbgoestravelling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Just back from a weeks holiday on Kuramathi Village booked at very last minute through Kuoni. Service from Kuoni was excellent as usual !

Having been to the Maldives 3 times before to the same Island (White Sands) we decided to try somewhere different and were a little apprehensive about which other islands to try. We got a great deal on this one so decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed in the slightest.

Travel by Monarch was fine if a little cramped. Speedboat was fine too although the noises the woman behind me made as we bounced through the ocean were interesting to say the least !!

Reception was swift, friendly and efficient and off we went to our Standard room. This was fine, everything that was necessary although would have liked the more traditional outdoor shower. The room was serviced to a high standard and had fridge and air conditioning. The island itself was well laid out with plenty to keep the interest. Excellent Dive Centre, perfect for snorkelling (with channels to protect the coral) good pool, excellent dining area and welcoming and comfortable bar. What more could one ask for ?
It was heaven to simply sit, read and while away the hours with a cocktail and all the benefits of all inclusive. (even a couple of trips and free snorkelling equipment)

This was a holiday to simply enjoy in surroundings that made it easy ! Kuramathi certainly got the thumbs up and took away any fears of changing islands, in fact it might be an idea now to start working our way round many of the others over the next few years. 4th time to Maldives and we will definitely be back

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — indoor shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't worry too much about mosquitoes as island is fumigated every week, but still take some cream just in case !
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank iainh57
Glasgow
Reviewed July 16, 2006

The Kurumathi Blue Lagoon is a perfect place for you to go, relax and switch off from the world! We stayed in a beach bungalow and found it to be absolutely beautiful with access to the beach only 5 steps from our balcony. We were originally disappointed that we did not manage to book a water bungalow but once we were there we found that the beach bungalow actaully offered more privacy and more seclusion.

The other 2 resorts in the Island were also wonderful but the Blue Lagoon does offer a quieter holiday as it is at the narrow end of the island and is the smallest of the 3 resorts.

The only peice of advise I can give anyone planning a trip to Kurumathi is not to fly Monarch. Prior to our trip we had read some very poor reports about Monarch but in reallity nothing prepared us for how bad it was!! We had a 15 and 1/2 hour delay which is bad enough but Monarch did not appear to know what was going on and communicated very poorly with us during that time. We had booked to fly from Manchester but we stopped at Gatwick on both legs of our journey to pick up/drop off passengers.

11 Thank AnnonymousGlasgow
london
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We went to Karamathi village with Kuoni and Monarch on the 19th June for a week. It did rain for the first few days (it is monsoon season!!) and did have a very rough boat journey but neither of these things spoilt what was a fantastic holiday.
In the grand scheme of things it is very easy to get to (10.5hr flight + 2hr boat) compared with other 'exotic' destinations.
Monarch was fine, yes we did have a 3hr delay and the plane lacked many standard entertainment features but for the price?!

I just cant fault it, not only because it was such a lovely destination but because it was simply so cheap (we paid around 620pounds per person all inclusive). Many other destinations require that money for the flight alone.

We did have the coral romance excursion booked, which was cancelled due to bad weather, but we simply re-arranged for the end of the week, and it was amazing. Going from a compararively large island to a tiny island which was very luxurious - especially if you go for the water bungalow.

This doesn't detract from the great time we had at karamathi, when it rained we chilled out, played some cards and read some books, simply knowing we were paying the price of a top london hotel for a few nights.

The sea life was also very impressive, dolphins, turtles, reef sharks ...

My only slight disappointment was being in the resort you don't really get a sense of the maldivian culture, you need to go on an excursion to really see their way of life.

I'll definately recommend karamathi, not sure what it would be like if the resort was full and was peak season.

8 Thank hayc99
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2006

My Partner and I have just returned from a week at the Kuramathi Village. We are both well travelled, but have lately seemed to go for Carribean locations, and this was our first trip to the Maldives. We chose the Kuramathi Village, as The Kuramathi Blue Lagoon had been reccomended to us, but we found an especially good deal to the Village, and thought we'd try it, as on the same island.

We booked with Kuoni, and our flights were with Monarch. After reading reviews/forums etensively, I had expected the flight to be a total nightmare, but it really wasn't so bad. I found the leg room Ok, and I am 5'6, so average for a woman. My 6ft partner found it OK too. Complimentary soft drinks and coffee, plus wine with meals were provided. The food was no better or worse than other flights really. ON arrival to male, we easily found our Kuoni rep outside the arrivals area, and were directed to the small cafe to wait. After about 40 mins, the rep collected everyone going to kuramathi for the boat transfer. The boat wasn't really a speedboat, more of a motorcruiser, and we sat inside with Air conditioning. I have occasinally been seasick before, but found the boat Ok, and slept for the journey. I didn't notice anyone being sick, although one couple did mention sickness at the welcome meeting, and opted for the seaplane tranfer on their return to male.

On arrival at Kuramathi, chgeck in went very smooothly. You just sit with your welcome drink and the rep calls your name then brings you your room key, a map and details of the all inclusive. You tell the room boys which is your case, and ours arrived at our room 5 mins after we had.

Our room was meant to be a standard, but we were upgraded for free to a Superior Wooden Bungalow. It was fine, simply furnished. No open air shower as expected though, but an indoor bath and shower, and on the South side of the island, probably the least attractive beaches. We looked into an upgrade to a Deluxe room, but upon seeing the other room, although it was beautiful, decided the $35 a night didn't make it worth it, so stayed put. We then found our side of the island best for snorkelling, which we liked, and we spent days at the Fung bar, sitting on the beach. There was a fridge in the room, which we got water and cola from the bar for each evening. Our room was cleaned faultlessly twice daily. No beautiful bed decorations, but after my partner phoned housekeeping to reqeust one, the bed was beautifully done that night.

Food in the main restaurant was lovely. Alternate days had either a buffet lunch and A la carte Dinner with a mini buffet, or A la carte Lunch with mini buffet, and full buffet dinner. Each meal had delicious freshly cooked marinated beef, fish or chicken, some sort of pasta, and a selection or rices, potatoes, meats cooked in sauces, curries, vegetables etc. The Italian Buffet dinner night was very good, I loved the carpaccio of fish. Breakfast was buffet every day, and had a good selection of cooked items (no bacon though) and pasrties etc. We went to the Indian restaurant for the buffet night. Well worth it, lovely food, and would have been a good choice for vegetarians I imagine too. We also had the lobster beach Dinner, which was great, 5 courses, and the lobster course came with chips and peas, which made us smile, but lovely nontheless. It had been raining, so we had our lobster dinner in the Barbeque instead of on the beach, but I don't think it made it any less pecial, they sat us away from anyone else. We went to the Island barbeque on the last night. The ceasar salad was great, and large, and I had rib eye steak. The steak was nice, but a little too well done for my liking, and in all honesty, could have been better, but I still enjoyed it.

The all inclusive plan was excellent, and good value. We were a little worried about overspending, due to charging everything to the room, but it if you ask the waiter in the bar, they will show you which drinks are included, which are most,(cocktails, brandies, whiskies, baileys etc) and the bar staff mention if you order anything not all inclusive. Soft drinks and wine by the glass or Kuraf are included in the A La carte restaurants.

The spa was beautiful. We had a Pearl harmony treatment on the last night, and it was well worth the money, even my initially reluctant partner thought so. The staff were brilliant, the surroundings perfect, and the scented bath after the massage was extremely romantic, especially as it was dark outside by then, so by candlelight.

Evening entertainment was either background music, a disco or small band. the band were excellent, especially the two piece. Evening dress is casual or smart causal, with many ladies wearing long skirts and strappy tops and guys in smart shorts. No shoes or flip flops was the order for footwear, and high heels are a definate no no, as all the paths are sand. Beachwear covered with a srong is fine for ladies at breakfast and lunch.

High factor sunscreen is a must, and we took insect repellent, but didn't use it and weren't bitten, although others had a few bites depsite using it. You won't need towels, as these, including beach towels are provided in rooms, although bath towels are a little small, but adequate.

Staff were overall friendly and helpful, and spoke quite good english. Service was excellent, although occasionally a little slow in busy periods, or the restaurant, but they did seem to have a lot of staff to a few guests. We did sometimes tip, but the service was good regardless.

We did see one rat, but it didn't bother me. The place was immaculately cleaned to a very high standard, and I didn't get the slightest hint of a tummy upset while away, nor did anyone else I spoke to.

We knew it was the wet monsoon before we booked, and so knew we took our chance with the weather. It was overcast one day, rained half a day and the day we left, then a coupld of times at night, once while eating dinner which was really a storm. Umbreallas are rovided in rooms, and I didn't feel our holiday was in any way spoiled by the weather. I have enough to chat to my partner about to sit in the bar with him for a relaxing afternoon. We also knew there were no sunbeds, and although this had put me off slightly, it didn't bother me at all, I just laid on my towel.

Overall, it was a wonderful, relaxing holiday away from our chidlren for the week. There was little that could have been improved on, maybe coffee makers in the rooms, and a little more choice in the main restaurant, but I doubt these would have done much to improve our holiday. I would reccomend the island for anyone, maybe for those who like a little more luxury the Bule Lagoon, but we found the village lovely, and I would go again for the Spa alone!

Feel free to email with any questions or for photos!

16 Thank jackson1998
Herts
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Pros: Spacious clean rooms, curteous friendly staff, all branded drinks and cocktails included in All Inlusive deal. Lovely beaches and sea, mini fridge, no need to take any towels, no need to take travel adapter, outside shower, recliners by the pool only, flights (Sri Lankan airways).

Cons: No tea & coffee making facilities, no TV in room, no hairdryer, take travel sickness pills for speadboat journey if sea is rough, All Inclusive doesn't include use of pool or other restaurants, food good but repetitive. Poor evening entertainment. No beach recliners only chairs.

Highlights: Stingray feeding every evening at 6.30 PM, staff, drinks, beach and sea.

7 Thank chan1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

My bloke and I stayed at the Cottage and Spa on Kuramathi for 14 nights.... we stayed on a B&B rating to give us maximum flexibility on food choice/restaurant. Our accomodation was a water bungalow and thanks to this site, we requested a bungalow as far from the desalination plant as possible (which when we wandered past it later in the hol was extremely noisey, and would have kept us awake, so thanks for all those pointers, tripadvisors!). Room 265 and beyond seem to be the more secluded water bungalows I think.

Our flight out there with Monarch was fine... we took a sea plane transfer which was delayed by about half an hour due to a re-fuelling mess up, but was well worth the extra dosh. Fab experience.

Our room was nice, but definately a 3 star(ish) room... I say 'ish' as its obviously in a wonderful location, but the fittings weren't exactly luxury, and no real 'wow' factor apart from the surroundings. Very comfortable beds though, and impeccable housekeeping services/cleanliness standards. If the hotel got new towels and robes (the one's provided were old & scratchy, not fluffy), made sure all the fittings and finishes are tip-top and replaced lampshades if they look jaded I think it would have improved things a little.

The breakfast buffet was fine... we always left absolutely stuffed and there is plently of variety. Highly suspect 'bacon' on some days though! Plenty of local fresh fruit, croissants/patisserie and yogurts though if you don't fancy something from the massive hot selection.

Having eaten at every bar and restaurant on the island at least once, I would recommend the La Laguna Bar and Grill for having the nicest food and best ambience (but save for the first and/or last night as its also the most expensive). The Havana Bar near our reception at cottage (go through the Dhoni Bar and its kind of hidden at the back!) is a really smart bar. Nice to have a shisha pipe after dinner with a few glasses of wine. Would be nice if they had live jazz evenings in there...

The food isn't massively cheap (but I live in London, so am used to extortionate prces for food and alcohol!)... some things are a complete rip off though, and it really bugged me by the end of the holiday. Just because you save for a holiday in the Maldives does not mean you want to be treated like a cash machine!

4 dollars for a single scoop of what tasted like ultra-cheap ice cream in the Dhoni bar? 6 dollars for some hairspray in the local shop? I am all for tipping good service, and for paying a fair price for a product, but sometimes it was an insult, and lessened the positive experience by a long long way. Be aware that 10 percent is added to literally everything you buy, so don't feel like you have to tip left, right and centre. You sign for most things so any dollars you bring will be for excursions to shop (fun but nothing extraordinary), tips and for airport supplies/smaller duty free.

Other meals and light lunches were pretty good value, but varied in quality. Village coffee shop did the cheapest snacky food surprisingly. Nothing incredible, but yummy toasted sandwiches, burgers and fairly ok pizzas. Try the nicest lemon ice tea there as a refresher.

On a lighter note, I can heartily recommend the Mongolian BBQ evening... eat lots of small portions though, so you can try every single thing and get the most from the experience. The puddings are the best we had, so why they don't try and and use more of the same in other restaurants, I have no idea.

Service was pretty good (definite difference in Cottage and Village)... though we did have one waiter in The Village who was really rude to us for no legitimate reason (telling us really sarcastically that our drinks were on the way after we casually enquired, having already received our food order). It was so out of the blue, that I kept convincing myself it was a cultural/language barrier, but on reflection I think he just didn't want to be there, despite our smiles and politeness. Fair enough... just didn't tip and made it clear we weren't impressed at the end of the meal, just I would do anywhere else.

Water sports are plentiful as you'd expect when a nation is about 80% water! Plenty of impressive snorkelling by our water bungalow. We didn't scuba dive but have promised ourselves that experince on our next visit to the maldives! Nice friendly water sports guys in centre... small place but plently of choice for everyone.

Had a couple of treatments in the spa... the pearl harmony massage as a couple was really relaxing & fun and I loved getting a pedicure too. Lovely facilities and the staff seemed welcoming.

As for the weather, we had 2 overcast days and one afternoon when it chucked it down over the 14 day period, so the wet season was fine for us. Even on the overcast days you can get burnt badly... its only 4 degrees from the equator, so watch it. Take loads of sunscreen and a some insect repellent (Boots do an aftersun with repellant which is handy). Take a torch, as you do walking at night and although the the island is lit beautifully, there are dark patches with plenty of fruit bats, hermit crabs and tree rats to keep you on your toes!

All in all a really wonderful holiday with nice staff and some incredible scenery...I get the impression from this and other forums though that there are nicer islands to visit. I would have to agree; although it was great, I doubt I would go back to Kuramathi. But with so many other islands to explore, why go to the same place twice?

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Halaveli Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!