“Mixed feelings”

Baldock, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Kuramathi
Kuramathi was our 6th visit to the Maldives. I chose this island as it was originally planned for a family holiday with children but my family could not afford the high cost in the end. I also thought my husband would prefer it as it was a large island with plenty of dining options. I did a fair bit if research and decided that a DBV would be the best option for us. As most people cover most topics well I thought I would just highlight the good and bad points for us. I have given Kuramathi 4 stars as we have been to several islands and you cannot help but compare.

The good things for us.
The staff were just the best, they could not do enough for you. In the Farivalhu they were wonderful and so friendly. In all the bars we were served as we sat down we never had to wait. I think they deserve 5 stars.

The Select All inc was great. The drinks were really good, all branded and good cocktails. Wine selection was good too. Restaurant selection was good and I used to book each day 3 days ahead and always got the restaurant we wanted. We enjoyed the Siam Garden and Duniye the most. Our least favourite was the Reef apart from the setting and the Island Barbeque.

The bars, we really liked them all. Nice views, comfy seats, nice atmosphere, great drinks and lovely staff. It was great to walk around the island dropping in to a different bar.

Island was such a beautiful island especially to walk through and around. In places it was spectacular. It was also always immaculate everywhere. The guys that swept everywhere kept the paths clear constantly. Everyday we walked around the island
Snorkelling was reasonable especially down by the Eco Centre and Jetties where we saw the turtles several times. Sometimes it was hard to access the snorkelling channels near our DBV but we did see large schools of fish.

The not so good for us
By far the worst thing for us was the Mosquitos. I was so looking forward to relaxing outside our villa but this became impossible because there were so many Mosquitos about even during the day. We love getting up and having a coffee outside, again fine if you wanted to be bitten. I don't usually suffer that much from Mosquitos and took so much repellant but nothing really worked. We ended up having to go to the other side of the island where we could sit away from bushes. It really did spoil our holiday as we had so many bites which I am sure contributed to my husband feeling unwell for most of the holiday.

Small fruit flies also seemed to be a problem when we eat at the Island Coffee Shop lunchtime and one day there were so many I had to leave my lovely Jack Fish I was eating. Towards the end of our holiday the Palm also starting getting these tiny flies lunchtime.

Our second dislike was our buffet restaurant Farivalhu as it was so dark inside with hardly any sea views and no outside seating. We really did not want to go and eat there but thank goodness for the staff it made breakfast bearable. The food was okay especially the Maldivian night which was the only meal other than breakfast we had there. I suppose all other resorts we have been to have had so much nicer buffet restaurants.

Finally having walked around the island so many times I can honestly say there is no accommodation I really think is in a lovely location as there is always some draw back. Again other islands have been better. The problem always is the accommodation with big islands as it is difficult to get it right.

The snorkelling we did was good but it was very limited to when you could swim out to the reef due to low tides unless you went to the area near the Eco Centre and again we have been to better.

We enjoyed our holiday but I do not think we would return for our reasons above. Unfortunately I chose Kuramathi as my husband was going off the Maldives and I thought this island would be better for him but it actually did the reverse and I will have a hard job to convince him to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sueH1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner began our holiday to the kuramathi island resort at the 1st May 14. We had booked over the phone a fantastic free guaranteed upgrade from a superior beach villa to a water villa without jacuzzi. I booked the select all inclusive. Adam, the salesman also asked if this a special occasion. I told him that this was going to be proposal. He said that he would organise with the kuramathi staff to make it special
After nearly 24 hours of travelling we were welcomed to a nice cold drink, a presentation and welcome package.
Soon after we were taken to the room of 214. This was not what we were told we were getting and was in fact the room we were meant to be upgraded from. Very angry, tired, hot, sweating with my pregnant partner, I went to the reception where we spoken to Kuoni rep, she was about as helpful as a banana.
They had no record of us being upgraded to a water villa. After a crackling line back to Kuoni in England, we were told the bad news that Adam had left and that he had actually booked us into a Deluxe beach villa to Superior beach villa. At a cost of £5750 for 10 nights, it turned out not only were we in the wrong room but we had only the basic all inclusive.
In the end we were getting nowhere with the useless Kuoni staff, so I paid $900 and upgraded to the room we had actually booked, with only having to spend a night in the Superior beach villa with jacuzzi. In all fairness the room wasn't bad at all apart from one thing. The toilet is outside. Why on earth anyone would let you have to cr*p outside in 32* heat, I'll never know!
The next day we were taken to our upgraded room (that we should all ready of been in!)
Wow! Room 314. Absolutely fantastic! It is situated on the lagoon side, opposite to where the water villas with jacuzzi were which are on the coral side. If you prefer stunning scenery go for the lagoon side, if you prefer to be snorkelling stay on the coral side of the island. The lagoon side is the more blue, bath tub like water and goes as far as the eye can see. Stunning.
Advise. Without being snobby, make sure you are not on the basic all inclusive package like we were until we got sick of it. It is so basic, you end up only being able to put things on your plate that do not go. Very Samey, and very boring.
After the 4th night of this unspeakable cr@p, basic food, enough was enough. We booked on to the select all inclusive at $120 per night for two where you could eat in the a la carte restaurants.Even though we were supposed to be on this package, we had to upgrade. You can pay for it without upgrading but we found your constantly watching your pennies. The select all inclusive is absolutely amazing. In order the best places to me were: no1) Duna, save this for your last night. 2) BBQ. 3) (not far behind 2) The Palm. 4) Siam garden 5) The Reef 6) tandoori mahal. All very high standard a la carte.
The coffee shop is also fantastic. Very good food for morning/ day time.
Must. Go to the sand bank. Unbelievable! It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Make sure you go there when it's sunny around mid day. When the sun hits it it is just glowing blue, crystal clear. This is where I proposed, and it was just breath taking. The perfect place! She said yes by the way :D
One little pick, not the end of the world. There's not enough buggies driving around. Sometimes you can be waiting 25mins for them. It's a massive island so walking so far nicely dressed up can be a real chore. And waiting for them in humid hot weather isn't nice.
The free complimentary half hour massage is 10/10. Highly recommend.
All in all, we had an absolutely amazing time. Apart from paying through the nose to get there, but that was Kuoni's fault. The staff are very friendly and helpful. (That doesn't go for the Kuoni staff). With upgrading and whatnot I'd give the island a 9/10. Before we upgraded etc a 4/10. Kuoni on the other hand will never get any business from me again. With nothing sorted and not even one apology I am disgusted with them.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dominic J
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 10, 2014

You can reach Kuramathi Island resort either by sea plane or by speed boat. Taking a sea plane will of course be the more expensive option, but it will give you a unique, amazing flight over some of the Maldives' beautiful islands.

You are welcomed onto the island with a refreshing tropical drink in a modern, open reception area with a paradise like atmosphere, surrounded by palm trees.
Kuramathi is one of the biggest resorts in the Maldives with 9 restaurants and 6 bars. And although that may sound large and less idyllic, the way the resort has been set up with its lush vegetation makes you feel as if you are on a perfect, unspoilt tropical island. The different bars and restaurants give you the option to choose a different place to eat and drink almost every night, with a completely different atmosphere in each of them.

You have 9 different types of villas to choose from, ranging from a simple but comfortable 'Garden Villa' with 45m2, grouped in blocks of 4 villas, to the most luxurious 'Honeymoon Pool Villa' of 310m2 with a private pool, jacuzzi and all the luxury the Maldives is famous for.

The resort offers a lot of activities, a good Spa, a gym, a tennis court and a Kids Club. Because of the size of the resort, the different restaurants and bars and the wide range of facilities, to me Kuramathi is one of the best resorts to spend a longer holiday because there is enough to keep you entertained. It also has great beaches to just sunbathe and relax.

Kuramathi is a great 4-star resort and good value for money.

Room Tip: That really depends on your budget but all rooms are good. A water villa would be the type of villa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We visited here a few years ago (but Tripadvisor only let me go back to July 2013) and it appears from their website that they have now done the whole place up, and while there were 3 separate resorts on the one island when we were there, they are all one now. It takes a bit of effort to get there and I have to say - the sea plane was an experience!! And not one I'd like to do again!!! We were booked into one of the most expensive land rooms - think it was call the Blue Lagoon at the time, and within one day we had requested a move. I could hear almost everything that was going on next door including a woman crying and their radio early in the morning. Access to the sea from this room was slightly difficult as you had to make your way through some mangroves with a person sized hole in the middle. Not exactly the 5* we were expecting. We moved to a Water villa in the middle of the island the following day due to the noise - but we still ate in the Blue Lagoon restaurant. The food there was very good - I have no complaints. This is a pretty small island and for us there just wasn't enough going on other than eating and drinking. The spa was the only real option and was v expensive. Also - during our visit they seemed to have a problem with rats...That may have changed since - but honestly, that wasn't the nicest part. I saw rats running through the branches of the palm trees and even in the rafters of the bar. It was nice but not worth the money we paid, and we wouldn't go back. It didn't suit our personalities as there was very little to do. The island is so small you can cover it in about 30/40 mins so not much walking can be done. Oh and one more thing - they charged us ridiculous money to use their internet as we had no phone coverage - and we found out after we got home, not one of our outgoing emails were received....Not exactly 5*eh?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChoosyDublin
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We spent 10 days on this beautiful island in May in a Beach Villa booked through Kuoni. The room (343) was very good and included a deck outside with 'day beds' and a small section of beach with 2 sun loungers which appeared to be almost a private beach.
We flew direct with BA - excellent flights both ways - in part because both planes were well below capacity. We also opted for the sea-plane transfers which are "interesting" and do give additional time in the resort particularly with a late afternoon flight from Male coming home.
We were on the 'Select All Inclusive' meal plan which meant we were able to use any of the a la carte restaurants - which we took full advantage of. The Select All Inclusive also gives the option of taking lunch at the Island Café which was a big advantage over the 'Basic All Inclusive' under which you can only eat in your allocated restaurant. This is a significant advantage in that if you preferred to spend your day at the beach by the house reef of the infinity pool area but had a 300s room number you would need to go to the far end of the island to take lunch - a 15 minute walk each way or a wait for the buggy ride - or alternatively pay at the Island café.
All of the a la carte restaurants are very good but in our order of preference:
Reef Restaurant - Specialising in sea food and overlooking the lagoon.
Island Barbeque - Excellent Steak Diane and Crepes cooked at the table
Palm Restaurant - Italian but also with excellent varied menu
Duniye Restaurant - Pretentious 'Fine Dining' but excellent food quality and service
Siam Garden - Good quality Thai food
Tandoor Mahal - Indian Restaurant - but food a little bland for my liking.
These restaurants need to be booked on the 3rd day before you wish to dine there which we did at breakfast and had no problem getting the restaurant of our choice.
Unable to comment on dinner/lunch at the allocated buffet restaurants but the breakfasts were adequate and we did not hear any complaints. We particularly wanted the option of a la carte dining but this is an expensive option - 10 days Select All Inclusive is a similar cost to 14 days basic all inclusive.
The main bars were good although we mostly used the Lagoon bar at the end of the island closest to our room. Good quality spirits and cocktails although the wines by the glass were poor - under the select all inclusive option there is a limited selection of acceptable wines available by the bottle with any remaining wine available to take back to the rooms. Service was good and staff excellent - although occasional language difficulties.
I decided to complete my Advanced Open Water diving qualification there and would categorically say that this was the best organised and 'user friendly' diving operation I have had the pleasure of diving with - particular thanks to Nadia and Lily for their patience and assistance with my air consumption and appalling hand writing! Diving and snorkelling are excellent with a wide variety of sea-life and corals nearby - sharks can be viewed any day from the beach and we were fortunate enough to film an eagle ray whilst snorkelling at the house reef.
In summary and excellent location and beautiful island with the hotel geared for honeymooners but does lack the 'vibe' and activity of the good Caribbean resorts.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We've just arrived home from Kuramathi, but we wish we were still there! The island is truly a paradise. We'd never been to the Maldives, but had dreamed of going for years. Kuramathi resort lived up to our expectations - and them some. It's a perfect place to just relax, as we did. There are also plenty of activities should you wish to enjoy these as well. The sea life is incredible; we had a water bungalow with jacuzzi. The variety of wildlife on our doorstep was a marvel: it's like having the biggest and best tropical fish tank right outside your door. Swimming in the lagoon and the ocean was fabulous. The sunsets over the lagoon - well make sure you have a camera. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent - we highly recommend the buffet in Malafaiy restaurant. We want go back as soon as we can, you should go too!

Room Tip: Water bungalows with jacuzzi are more private.
4 Thank John M
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What can I say that others have not...Kuramathi is a truly wonderful place for a honeymoon! Most of what I will probably say has been said before, yet I do hope some will benefit from my experience when making a choice to visit. Traveling from the United States to the Maldives is no easy task, so when we arrived at Male we were anxious to get to the resort. Once we got our luggage it was easy to find counter #4 to get our seaplane transfers and ride over the the terminal. Now the Kuramathi-desingated lounge was a bit rundown and the food options sparse, yet it was nice to sit down a relax a bit before the flight. Once we boarded the seaplane it was a very short,yet breathtaking ride to the resort. You will not get these views from the boat so please take the plane!

We arrived at the island and were greeted by a presentative (intern) who was pleasant, but not overwhelmingly enthusiastic about greeting us to the island. This kind of thing does not bother me, but for some it could be an issue. Now I did MUCH research into what specific villa I wanted and had actually sent in 4 options in order of preference and did not get any of them, but that was fine since the villa we did get was THE BEST! We stayed in Deluxe Beach Villa 354 at the far end of the island close to the sand bank. For those who want to be in a quiet place this is it...plus 354 has the largest beach out of all the deluxe beach villas from what I saw. Room was fantastic: clean, spacious and by far the best feature was the outdoor shower. I never even used the indoor shower and so wish I could install one here in Houston.

Now moving on to the food and this is wqhere I have seen some negative comments during my research. We honestly did not have one bad meal period. Do the select all inclusive so you can experience all the restaurants on the island, as each has their own ambience that is unique. My favorite was Island BBQ and my wife's as the Thai Place Siam Garden, but all had superb choices. The daily buffets were phenomenal and we ate all breakfasts and most lunches there. The only complain I had on the buffets was the breakfasts did not change much and could have used some more variety. Be aware that if you eat lunch outside at the Palm there are little gnats that won't leave your food alone...site under cover if at all possible!

Staff on the entire island were very friendly and almost every one said hello and good morning to us. You should definitely experience drinking from a coconut on the beach if you like that sort of thing and the grounds staff will be happy to grab you one. Just be sure you have a dollar or two to tip them. Most of my time was spent at the Laguna Bar, so I cannot comment too much on the other drinking establishments. I will say the only time I went to Fung Bar I had to wait ten minutes for a beer which is unacceptable. If you do go look for Shayne or Thushara at Laguna and they will take good care of you!

My biggest disappointment was the Havana Club and the service associated with it. I went around 6:30 PM one night and it was completely empty. I wanted a cigar and had to go to the Dhoni Bar just to get someone to help me out. It was awkward then thinking about smoking a cigar in an empty place so I just took it and left. A real shame because the bar is very nice inside. Also be aware nothing in Havana is Free.

I've also seen many reviews indicating how bad the mosquitos are...well they were non-existent. Maybe it was due to the fact that we have worse 'mozzies' in Texas, but I did not see hardly any of them. Be sure you do take sunscreen and bug repellant with you, though, as if you don't you will be paying a fortune on the island for it.

5 Thank Robert S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!