Kuramathi was our 6th visit to the Maldives. I chose this island as it was originally planned for a family holiday with children but my family could not afford the high cost in the end. I also thought my husband would prefer it as it was a large island with plenty of dining options. I did a fair bit if research and decided that a DBV would be the best option for us. As most people cover most topics well I thought I would just highlight the good and bad points for us. I have given Kuramathi 4 stars as we have been to several islands and you cannot help but compare.
The good things for us.
The staff were just the best, they could not do enough for you. In the Farivalhu they were wonderful and so friendly. In all the bars we were served as we sat down we never had to wait. I think they deserve 5 stars.
The Select All inc was great. The drinks were really good, all branded and good cocktails. Wine selection was good too. Restaurant selection was good and I used to book each day 3 days ahead and always got the restaurant we wanted. We enjoyed the Siam Garden and Duniye the most. Our least favourite was the Reef apart from the setting and the Island Barbeque.
The bars, we really liked them all. Nice views, comfy seats, nice atmosphere, great drinks and lovely staff. It was great to walk around the island dropping in to a different bar.
Island was such a beautiful island especially to walk through and around. In places it was spectacular. It was also always immaculate everywhere. The guys that swept everywhere kept the paths clear constantly. Everyday we walked around the island
Snorkelling was reasonable especially down by the Eco Centre and Jetties where we saw the turtles several times. Sometimes it was hard to access the snorkelling channels near our DBV but we did see large schools of fish.
The not so good for us
By far the worst thing for us was the Mosquitos. I was so looking forward to relaxing outside our villa but this became impossible because there were so many Mosquitos about even during the day. We love getting up and having a coffee outside, again fine if you wanted to be bitten. I don't usually suffer that much from Mosquitos and took so much repellant but nothing really worked. We ended up having to go to the other side of the island where we could sit away from bushes. It really did spoil our holiday as we had so many bites which I am sure contributed to my husband feeling unwell for most of the holiday.
Small fruit flies also seemed to be a problem when we eat at the Island Coffee Shop lunchtime and one day there were so many I had to leave my lovely Jack Fish I was eating. Towards the end of our holiday the Palm also starting getting these tiny flies lunchtime.
Our second dislike was our buffet restaurant Farivalhu as it was so dark inside with hardly any sea views and no outside seating. We really did not want to go and eat there but thank goodness for the staff it made breakfast bearable. The food was okay especially the Maldivian night which was the only meal other than breakfast we had there. I suppose all other resorts we have been to have had so much nicer buffet restaurants.
Finally having walked around the island so many times I can honestly say there is no accommodation I really think is in a lovely location as there is always some draw back. Again other islands have been better. The problem always is the accommodation with big islands as it is difficult to get it right.
The snorkelling we did was good but it was very limited to when you could swim out to the reef due to low tides unless you went to the area near the Eco Centre and again we have been to better.
We enjoyed our holiday but I do not think we would return for our reasons above. Unfortunately I chose Kuramathi as my husband was going off the Maldives and I thought this island would be better for him but it actually did the reverse and I will have a hard job to convince him to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Measuring 1.8 km long, this idyllic resort in North Ari Atoll is dotted with lush flora and fauna, turquoise lagoons and tapers into a pristine sandbank. Catering to all budgets, the choices for villas are many, and ranges from the simple yet stylish Garden Villas to the ever popular honeymooners' favourite over water choice, Water Villa with Jacuzzi. Early 2016, Kuramathi is set to extend the options with new villa categories that will features villas over water, several with private pool and also two bedroom houses suitable for families or friends travelling together. Savour exquisite recipes from over 10 restaurants catering to diverse taste buds. Imbibe tropical concoctions in 6 bars conveniently placed around the island, and they have the added plus of regular evening entertainment. Leave your worries behind, and choose our great-value all inclusive packages to enjoy the best that Kuramathi has to offer. The Basic All Inclusive includes a wide range of premium beverages while the Select All Inclusive is ideal if you wish to have a taste of Kuramathi at its best where you wine and dine at any restaurant of your choice. Rejuvenate, revitalize and beautify at Kuramathi Spa, with its blend of diverse therapies using signature product line Voya, which comes from Ireland and is made from hard-harvested organic seaweed. Dive with eagle rays, friendly sharks and explore world class dive sites. Become a certified sailor at the only Royal Yachting Association certified water sports school in the Maldives. Bond with your family at Bageecha Kids Club and let the children indulge in fun yet educational programs. Learn more about the thriving organisms both in and out of water at the multi award winning Eco Centre. There is simply something for everyone on an island that is naturally Maldives - Kuramathi Island Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TravelUp, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Kuramathi Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuramathi Island Hotel Kuramathi
- Village Hotel Kuramathi
- Kuramathi Village Hotel
- Kuramathi Cottage Spa
- Kuramathi Island Resort Maldives