“Fantastic honeymoon”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a 10 night stay beginning on the 16th April and had the most amazing honeymoon. We booked a deluxe beach villa and after having looked around the island we both agreed they seem to be in the best location, tucked away at the top of the Island nr the sand spit. We were in room 334 which had a nice strip of beach directly in front of it, along with some foliage which offered some shade and added privacy.

We opted for the select all inclusive package and as many reviewers have stated, we were so pleased we did. The choice of restaurants is very good and all of the food we had was delicious. Our favourites were the island coffee shop for lunch and the reef and island bbq for dinner - we ate at both of these restaurants three times each. Others have mentioned difficulties with booking the restaurants however we stayed when the hotel was at 95% capacity and never had a problem booking somewhere to eat. We tried the buffet restaurant on two occasions and the food was ok but I don't think I would not have enjoyed eating every meal there.

There is plenty of opportunity to go snorkeling and it really is a must do! Neither my husband or I have any previous experience of snorkeling but both picked it up pretty quickly. You can use the snorkel channels to swim out over the coral and then swim along the coral wall where we saw some big reef shark, a turtle and lots of different fish. A fantastic experience!

Overall a fantastic honeymoon holiday, we were very sad to leave the beautiful island!

3  Thank Donna P
There are newer reviews for Kuramathi Island Resort

Reviewed May 13, 2014

For our honeymoon we spent a week in Sri Lanka touring the cultural triangle then came to Kuramathi for a week.

I couldn't imagine anywhere better.

ALL INCLUSIVE - we were on the Select All Inclusive and it was fantastic to be able to dine at all the restaurants plus our buffet restaurant for breakfast. Certainly go for Select All Inclusive if you want the luxury and variety. To be honest, we would have been happy dining at buffet for all meals as the food was so good.

RESTAURANTS - we dined at every restaurant on the island. Palm was great for pizzas at lunch and fantastic pineapple dacquiri! Our favourite was the Island BBQ for flambed steak diane. The thai restaurant Siam Garden and Duniye (new fancy a la carte) was delicious. The only one I wasn't too fussed about was the indian - food was incredible but there were others we preferred but that is just personal preference! Oh and 'Reef' fish restaurant was one of my all time favourites, sat overlooking the beach with freshly caught local fish perfectly cooked

SNORKELLING ON THE REEF - just wow! There were snorkelling options for all levels. My other half had never snorkelled before but loved it that much he went on the 'snorkel safari tour' from the hotel. From the hotel however you wouldn't need to leave the island and you still see fantastic sealife - we saw turtles, reef sharks and so many colourful fish daily plus crabs and stingrays

SO BIG YOU CAN FIND YOURSELF SECLUDED BEACH - we travelled in early May, not sure if it was low season but there is so much 'island' you get plenty of space and privacy to have your own beach if you want! The walk from one side to another is over 1.8km. We walked to the top end of the island for sunset which was beautiful

WHICH LEVEL OF ACCOMODATION? We stayed in an overwater villa with jacuzzi and if we went again I would want to stay in one as it was so amazing to have our own private terrace overlooking the sea with steps down into the sea. However, we have already said we want to go back ASAP and would be happy to stay in all the other accomodations, we walked past most and the beach villas and garden villas look lovely. Only thing I would say is that you might need insect repellent and quite a bit of it for the beach and garden villas

WORKERS / TIPS - There are so many workers, they keep the island looking incredible and they are happy to help, very professional. We did tip $2 per bag to the porter and would tip bar staff and restaurant but only very small dollar denominations however know service charge is added to those not on All Inclusive packages

SPA / YOGA - I went to yoga every day which was through the spa, it was the most incredible place I have ever done yoga - out on a jetty in the middle of the sea. It wasn't well advertised so I thoroughly recommend going to ask about it at the spa

I already want to be back there - I cried when I arrived it was so incredible, I cried when I left. Such a beautiful beautiful place you can get away from every day life, walk around bare foot, swim every day, wander round paradise.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LifesBigAdventures
Reviewed May 12, 2014

just back from a trip of a lifetime , so sad to have left this paradise island, just the most fantastic place , loved it from the minute i stepped off the seaplane
i went to celebrate my 50th birthday and couldnt have picked a better place
we went select fully inclusive which i advise to do the food was first class in all 5 restaurants
swimming with sharks took some getting used too but i did it and have video to prove it
the staff was very nice but not in your face which we liked but nothing was too much trouble when they found out it was my birthday a cake arrived without us asking and sung to me :-)
we stayed in water villa which was lovely but we thought we would be able to swim off our decking but this wasnt possible because water was never high enough , but we still loved it
the snorkelling was out o this world, the coral and fish is something to see
i have nothing bad to say about this place , if your thinking of going dont think just book it, you wont regret it

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Julie D
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Great service, beautiful beaches lots of little coves for getting total privacy. Although it's a big island it feels deserted. As mentioned on other reviews food is good and the menu varied, lots of choice and if you fancy something in one of the a la carte restaurants you receive a 20% discount. The snorkelling is fabulous and you can snorkel from the beach or take a boat trip. We saw lots of dolphins on the sunset cruise, a few people saw turtles on the snorkel trip.
Sunset at Laguna bar is a must or stroll to the sand bar.....longest on the Maldives. We tried all the bars (rude not to) and the they have various entertainment, my daughter liked the d j night she was pleased he had lots of up todate sounds. Useful to have the same 3 pin plugs as per uk.

Room Tip: We had a jacuzzi beach villa close to everything near to the infinity pool and the best bar which wa...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank earthexplorer
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My new husband and I have just returned from the most amazing 2 week honeymoon. After spending a year reading reviews nearly everyday, it's safe to say I had high expectations for Kuramathi, and was concerned that these expectations would not be met! However from the minute we arrived at the lounge for there sea plane I was not disappointed!

We took the sea plane....wow what an experience, very very hot after a 10 hour flight but the view was sensational. We were greeted with a much needed cold flannel and drink. We were staying in a garden villa, it was beautiful, and like so often said before we were right on the beach and only a few steps from the sea, much closer to the beach and sea than the vast majority of the beach villas. The room was cleaned twice a day to a very good standard and the mini bar was always re stocked.

We upgraded to the select all inclusive package and is a must! The restaurants we spectacular we couldn't choose a favourite, the Duniye, the Island Barbeque and the Reef were incredible. The Wagyu beef in the Duniye a must, the steak Diane in the Island Barbeque and the steak tenderloin in the Reef, were my personal favourites, I'm not a fish eater, my husband enjoyed the simply grilled whole fish of the day in the Reef! The cocktails were fabulous!

Whilst on the island we visited the spa and had massages in the over wart pavilion and then the bath and bubbles, this was lovely and a lovely way to spend a morning relaxing together. We also spent an afternoon big game fishing, as non fishers this was great fun, we caught 3 big fishes and were able to eat it in the buffet restaurant the day after. We even saw dolphins when we were out fishing.

All in all we had the most amazing two weeks and would do back in a heart beat!!!!!

3  Thank krissieu
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Kuramathi for 10 nights at the end of April 2014 for our honeymoon.

We stopped in a Beach Villa on the lagoon side of the island for the first 5 nights and a jacuzzi beach villa on the reef side of the island for the second 5 nights. We used the jacuzzi twice more out of a sense of obligation, I would say the addition of a jacuzzi really isn't worth the extra cost.

However, the villas on the reef side of the island are a lot more modern; that is not to say that we didn't like the first Beach Villa but I would describe it as more 'traditional' that will soon be in need of modernisation. The reality is that you will probably spend very little time in your room anyway; we were advised to upgrade to Select AI over room type and I would recommend the same approach if you are constrained by budget (though the Jacuzzi Water Villas do look amazing!).

Kuramathi is a BIG island; it is well worth taking the time during your first couple of days to familiarise yourself with the island as a lot of areas look the same and it can be quite disorientating. I would say that if you wanted to walk from one end of the island to the other it would take roughly 20-25 minutes. Of course if you are feeling lazy you can always use the island 'taxi', but this is sporadic and you may be waiting a while.

One point to note is the intensity of the heat; I am relatively dark skinned but still wouldn't consider anything less than a factor 30 - the sun is very strong this close to the equator and it will burn you very quickly. Luckily, the trees along the beaches provide plenty of shade.

The Select All Inclusive is an absolute must; we only used our allocated buffet restaurant for breakfast. The remainder of the time we used the island coffee shop and the palm which are both open for lunch, offering a large range of fresh dishes to order.

Our favourite a la carte restaurants were the island BBQ and the Palm (visited 3 times each); fine dining at Dinuye is a great experience (twice) and we also enjoyed the Indian and Thai restaurants. The steak Diane at the island BBQ is not to be missed! You can book the restaurants up to two days in advance and there are sittings at 7, 8 and 9pm. We had no issues whatsoever with availability, I really don't understand any of the comments on here about the restaurant booking system.

Also included in the Select AI are an excellent selection of wines; 5 each of red, white and rosė. All are of a high standard and once opened, if you haven't finished the bottle you can take it back to your room. All spirits are well known brands and judging by the strength of their mojito's and gin and tonics they certainly don't hold back on the measures.

You have to sign for your select all inclusive meals; I would estimate that over the course of the 10 nights we would have spent about US$4,000 had it not all been included on the select AI - so well worth the upgrade cost. An evening meal with wine would have typically cost around $300.

The breakfast selection at the Haruge buffet restaurant was plentiful and fresh; the waiter service in here however was not on a par with other restaurants and everything seemed like a chore for the waiting staff. One other thing that the hotel really needs to address - they make you sign for bottles of water at breakfast; a complete waste of time and just generates extra paperwork and delays. All other drinks are free so this should just be eliminated!

There is no dress code in any of the restaurants; gents are able to wear shorts and flip flops with no requirement for long trousers or closed toe shoes.

If you like nature then you will love kuramathi; you will see lizards, fruit bats, crabs and herons - and that's just on the walk to the beach! Snorkelling in the house reef is simply amazing (all equipment can be hired free of charge from aqua centre) - you will come face to face with reef sharks, turtles and more fish than I can list on here. It's well worth getting a book to understand the different fish types; there are some Titan triggerfish in the reef and as I discovered they can be aggressive! Once educated we just gave them a wide berth. We went on the snorkel safari and saw eagle rays; once you have been on this it also gives you the confidence to explore more of the house reef and go out further. Overall the setting of kuramathi is amazing and a trek to the tip of the island on the iconic sand bank is a must do before the end of your break. Take note of the tide tables available from the aqua centre; it is quite rough at high tide so we always preferred the period 3 hours or so beforehand for snorkelling - it lets you get closer to the fish as well!

There are plenty of beds on the numerous beaches to choose from, we changed almost every day to get all the different aspects of the island. Be warned though, some people are very possessive about the patch in front of their beach villas even though there is nothing 'official' to say that certain beds are reserved for certain villas. I guess some people are just lazy; who would want to sit on the same patch of beach every day on such a large and beautiful island! Beach towels are provided by the resort so don't waste your luggage allowance....they'll replace them instantly on request.

The sunset cruise (included) is also very good; we had dolphins swimming around us whilst enjoying a glass of bubbly - a great end to the holiday.

We were lucky to experience the spa as a wedding gift; the 'kuramathi moment' package is a 90 minute massage for two which takes place on the spa's over water jetty. It's a dramatic setting and probably the best spa experience either of us have had, though expensive!

Nowhere accepts cash on the island (even the souvenir shop), you settle in cash or card on checkout. I'd recommend taking some US dollars for tips - we generally tipped the room staff a couple of dollars a day, a couple of dollars for lunch and $5 in the evening (and a dollar or two if drinks before and after). The staff work tirelessly to top up your drinks and are very polite and efficient, the least you can do is to show some appreciation.

The sea plane transfer is a great experience; though arrivals and departures at Malé are an arduous experience - our transfer by plane was only 15 mins but it work over 3 hours to get to the hotel after landing from Dubai. Take a pen to avoid queues to fill out forms at immigration.

Overall we had a fantastic honeymoon and I could not recommend kuramathi highly enough - a beautiful island with a large array of wildlife and great facilities, where the staff work tirelessly to keep it immaculate.

IF only we had the money to go back as often as we'd like!

4  Thank jca1979
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Just returned from 10 days in paradise!

Transfer process from the airport was so quick and easy, I was very impressed. We took the seaplane both ways. It’s not as hot and loud as I was expecting after reading other reviews. But I do recommend grabbing a bottle of water and your camera before they take your hand luggage. We landed from Dubai at 8am and were in our room by 10am!

The first 5 nights we stayed in a Beach villa. Very nice room with outdoor shower. They really should call it an Island villa as they are not on the beach, it would avoid customer disappointment. I knew this in advance, so I wasn’t surprised. I did email in advance for a room closer to the beach and we got it. Right across from the Aqua center -great spot. We spent the first 5 days getting to know the island, doing a day trip to Radshoo (recommended for cheaper gift shopping), I spent a lot of time at the spa (which is amazing), yoga, and gym (great facilities). Tip, if you like Red Bull, it’s not on the AI menu, the cost is $9.50 a can, we got them at the local island for $2, then just ordered vodka at the bar.

The last 4 nights, but 5 full days we spent in a Jacquzzi Water Villa. WOW. If you can, ball out! It’s worth every penny. The views are amazing, it’s so private, the hot/cold tub is so relaxing, and we could snorkel right off the end of our hut. Once we were here, we rarely left other than to eat – we even skipped the sunset tour, we had great views from the villa! On our day to check out, we found out our seaplane wasn’t until 4:45pm, so we asked for late check out and got it! Cost was $50 which was well worth it. I was in heaven knowing I had an extra day to enjoy and relax.
Food – SO good!! If you like to eat and drink (which we do), then you have to get AI. We never had an issue getting a reservation, but we were eating at 9pm, I think if you want 8pm, you need to get up early and go. 7 and 9 sittings were easy. All of the A La Carte are great, some highlights:
Siam Gardens: curry crab and garlic crab are both amazing! My husband loved the red curry shrimp w/coconut milk and the shrimp fried rice. We ate here 3 nights we loved it so much.

Indian: excellent, the flavor of the meat was so good, it was well marinated. My hubby loved the tiki masala. I enjoyed the bbq and yogurt. We would have gone again, but ran out of time.

Island BBQ: Steak Diane lived up to the high expectations, as did the flamed shrimp and desserts. We ate here twice it was so good.

Reef: nice views, food was good, not as memorable as above.

Duniye: HOT – there is no air circulation. We were both sweating, it was so uncomfortable. Food was just okay; maybe I was just too hot to enjoy it.

Palm: we ate here almost every day for lunch, the pastas and pizzas are really good.

Service everywhere was good, we never had issues. Some are friendlier than others. We tipped $5 for each meal and $1 for drinks, but it’s not required, we just did for good service.

Bugs – not bad at all, but it was dry season. We had 10 days of sunshine. There was rain one night, but not many bugs. I did wear bug spray in the evening and only came home with one bite!

Entertainment – brutal. The band that everyone raves about on here has left and the new Cuban band only played Spanish music from what we heard. The DJ was terrible, couldn’t mix if his life depended on it. But we weren’t there for entertainment, just to relax and enjoy. And we did!

Suggestions to management for a better trip:
•More frequent buggies. We gave up on the service, it was so random and it always seemed to be going the other direction of where we were going. I’m glad we were in the middle of the island. If you are staying up at the sand bar end, you’ll be walking a lot….or waiting.

•Room service would be nice to call for breakfast. Or any meal really. Especially in the bungalow’s. I didn’t want to leave!

•Serve drinks at the spa pool. They call it a health area? Just because some are at the spa or gym, doesn’t mean others at the pool can’t enjoy a drink! Also, I think they need an adult only pool. Both pools had screaming kids EVERY DAY we were there….makes it hard to relax, especially since one pool won’t even let you have a drink!

•Ability to take drinks to the room. Why are they so strict? I could take the balance of our wine bottle, no problem. I could also purchase wine or champagne. But we couldn’t take a cocktail. FYI for those champagne lovers out there, there is no champagne on the AI list, but they do have a Cava for $45 and Prosecco for $55. Otherwise, champagne starts at $130/bottle. Plus 18% tax and tip.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cutecdnchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!