Spent 7 night in Kuramathi. We had previously spent the week traveling around Sri Lanka and the bar had been set very high. We arrived on the island (vis a wonderful sea plane flight) very tired and in need of a bit of a rest and relaxation. We were not disappointed.
We traveled with two teenage daughters and we booked 2 Beach Villas. As previous reviewers stated these are not directly on the beach but a bit of research beforehand had prepared us for this already. There is quite a lot of vegetation between you and the sand, however, the paths are clear and well lit and we could see the sea and walk to it within 20 to 30 paces. We felt they were ideally placed as, to be frank, come the middle of the day this is a blessing as it does get very hot and a shaded veranda is something to be grateful for, plus it meant that the villas were private with no one walking directly past your outside space. They are also situated on the best side of the island for swimming but only a 3-4 min walk to the snorkelling channels on the coastal side.
The rooms themselves were large and well presented with comfortable beds and an excellent standard of cleanliness was maintained throughout our stay.
As there were 4 of us and we had already spent a lot touring we opted for the Standard All Inclusive. We loved it. Our allocated restaurant was about 5 to 10 minutes walk away (depending on how hot it was and how many cocktails you had sampled). You are allocated a table and a waiter (Abou was wonderful) which meant he soon got to know what we liked to drink and was very friendly without being intrusive. There seems to be some concern regarding the Standard All Inc and comments about getting board with the buffet. This is simply not the case, but probably arises from the assumption that the evening buffet is set out on the same basis as the lunchtime which is incorrect. Each evening has a set theme. French, Far Eastern, Americano, Maldivian, Italian, Indian and Tex Mex, were on offer during our stay and this works on a 14 day rolling plan. Within that there were various starters, a good range of meat, fish and veg dishes, a fresh cook station, as well as fruit, pastries and various other deserts. Wine by the glass was good (white and red I did not try rose) and whilst it was classed as house wine the variety seemed to vary from night to night depending on the theme. Overall we were impressed. It suited us as one of our daughters is quite a fussy eater. As it turned out she tried things whist on holiday that she would never try if ordering from a restaurent menu, safe in the knowledge that she could always try a small amount and not go hungry if she did not like it.
We chose the island initially as it was large compared to some of the others and we felt we might go stir crazy confined to a smaller area. It was a good choose as there was plenty to do but we never felt the island was busy (despite the fact that it was full). No shortage of sun beds, always plenty of seating in the bars, and never long to wait to be served. The evening entertainment was varied, we went to the stingray feeding, listened to a band one evening and my daughters went to the film nights whilst we worked our way down the cocktail menu. We took full advantage of the snorkelling equipment (to many varieties of fish to name, sharks, eels, sting rays and turtles) and I would urge you to try it, was bit out of my comfort zone to start with but then became addicted. My husband and youngest daughter went on the Deep Sea fishing trip and caught a huge sale fish (which they cooked up for us to eat in the evening). On our last night we went on the sunset cruise and it was a fitting close to a wonderful holiday.
Our only disappointment was not seeing the dolphins - luck was on our side. During our sea plane ride back to Male we saw a wonderful sunrise and then the dolphins came out to play. Fantastic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Rasdhoo Atoll , Kuramathi Maldives is 1.8 km in length and tapers to a pristine stretch of white sandbank, lending a dramatic quality to the idyllic surroundings of turquoise lagoons, tropical jungle and flora. Catering to all budgets, 12 distinct choices of villas are on offer, ranging from the individual Beach Villas to the idyllic Water Villas with Pool. A splendid pick for families and friends travelling together is the Two Bedroom Beach house. Savour exquisite dishes from 12 superb restaurants catering to diverse taste buds. Sip exotic cocktails in the 7 bars located in beautiful settings around the island. The island's vast size opens up to a wide range of activities. Immerse in therapeutic healing at Kuramathi Spa as we revive the holiday psyche. Younger guests find thrilling options at Bageecha Kids club, featuring fun and educational experiences. There is something for everyone on this paradisiacal haven that embodies Maldives in a natural setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Kuramathi Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuramathi Island Hotel Kuramathi
- Village Hotel Kuramathi
- Kuramathi Village Hotel
- Kuramathi Cottage Spa
- Kuramathi Island Resort Maldives