“Great Island and Resort... Go for All inclusive select package!”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Paris
“Great Island and Resort... Go for All inclusive select package!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Definitely a beautiful Island and resort... The Island is a large one for the Maldives (1.8 kms long) which allows to walk a lot, and to get the impression that there are not many people in the resort as all the bengalows and the restaurants are very well dispatched on the Island...
One Important tip: Go for the All inclusive Select Package... This allows you to choose your restaurant (Choice of 8 restaurants in the Island), which makes a huge difference vs the basic all inclusive package where you have to stick to your main restaurant with its buffet which is not so great... So, even if it is an extra price, the all inclusive select is a MUST...
Other Tip: you have to book your restaurant at 8 AM 2 days in advance.... Be there at 8, as the best restaurants get fully booked in less than 10 minutes, and you then have to have the not as nice ones or the buffet in the main restaurant...
Lots of super things (or Positives) in the resort:
- The size of the Island that allows to walk and never to get bored...
- The superb beaches with white sand on one side of the Island and the Coral reefs on the other side...
- The amazing tropical garden & forest, full of flowers that is so well maintained... This makes it a pleasure to walk in the Island...
- If you do not feel like walking, they have an electric shuttle system that takes you from one place to another
- Outstanding for snorkeling... You see so many fishes, rays, sharks... We are not scuba divers, and did not feel like it as there was already so much to see...
- Great restaurants if you have taken the all inclusive select package... The best is by far the reef... Book in advance... Outstanding fishes perfectly cooked, great deserts, etc... The Indian and the Thai restaurants are also quite good... Duniye is the new one, supposed to be a gastronomic one: good, but the Reef is really superior...
- Lunch at the coffee shop is the best option, they have fresh fish, and lots of other good options... (The Italian restaurant is quite disappointing)...
- They grow they own vegetables, greens, salad, etc on the Island... This is impressive, and allows to have them fresh which is really good... And visiting where they grow all this is a good experience...
- Great resort for couples on honeymoon, but also great for families with kids...
- Great show where they feed the sting rays in the evening in front of one of the bars...
- Amazing spot at the end of the Island on a large sandbank where you can experience the sunset at the end of the world...
- Spa is great... Yoga teacher (Reeta) is outstanding

Now, a few things are not as good, and a little bit disappointing for this resort: the owner should really try to work on them:
- First of all, the resort is too commercial oriented... A few really nasty things: if you want to use the sailboats, the kayaks, the paddle, you have to pay an extra for it... Also, they had organized a cocktail for New year eve on the sandbank... You had to pay for the cocktail, even people that had the all inclusive select package... And they also try to get you out of the island as early as possible the last day, scheduling your plane trip back to Male 6 hours earlier... And your all inclusive package stops at noon... Even if you checked in the week before in the evening (which is dishonest as you pay per day, full days...) - Those things are nasty and do not change the greatness of the place, but frankly speaking, given the price paid, these are small savings for the resort that are inappropriate, and that you would not find in other resorts... So, a really bad point there...
- Another negative: no natural juice, and very limited fruits... If you want a natural juice, it is not included, even in the select package... The orange juice and other fruit juices at breakfast are artificial ones... Frankly speaking, a resort of that level should offer free juices and more fruits... Even if it is an island, they should bring oranges... (Tip for the owner: why don't you grow mango trees?)
- Another negative: the buffets in the main restaurants are not that great (which is why you need to go to the other restaurants)... And the Italian restaurant is VERY disappointing... Pizzas and pasta are mediocre, at best, and deserts are limited to ice creams... They do not even know how to make a chocolate sauce with it (tip: ask the coffee shop their recipe, it is much better...)
Well, this is a good summary of our stay... We really enjoyed it a lot, and will probably come back...

Room Tip: The garden rooms are more economic and very well located... Obviously, the bengalows on the water ar...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Valjluc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Well, I travelled in August 2009 with my boyfriend when we were 18! It was amazing, I can't believe I forgot to leave a review especially since I use Tripadvisor so often.

I have to say i've looked at the reviews of when me & my partner visited this Island and I can't believe the amount of negative reviews. Yes they were doing construction on the Island but that didn't even bother us in the slightest. We actually used to watch them doing the work because we were amazed that they had no shoes, t-shirts or hard hats!

Staff - I would like to make a comment about the staff - previous reviews said that the staff weren't friendly and weren't helpful. Well maybe if you were a bit more polite and friendly they would want to help you! My boyfriend was really ill on the way to the Island so we visited the reception to ask for medical advice and they took us straight away to the doctors. He was checked immediately and they put him on a drip.

Sunbeds - Yes there were no sunbeds when we visited and I knew that from looking at reviews, this didn't bother us at all, towels on the sand it was then!

Food - We didn't have a problem with the food at all, yes there were some nights where we had more of a choice and other nights we had less choice. Oh well, I was never hungry the whole holiday. We actually had a candle-lit dinner one evening on the beach because my boyfriend had been to this Island 3 years before with his parents. (They even remembered and put us in the same room, which was sweet.) Some nights I had a waiter who used to stand behind my boyfriend and stare at me while I ate dinner, yes it was slightly uncomfortable, but to be honest I used to laugh and as soon as my boyfriend turned around he would shake his hand! I could moan and say this ruined the holiday but frankly compared to how amazing this trip was I couldn't care less.

Weather - We travelled late August and day 1 the weather was amazing, however 4 out of 7 days we were there it rained heavily (but not all day) and we could tell when it was going to rain because we could see the clouds in the distance. This again was fine - it was still so hot even when it rained.

Room - The room was fine, I loved having a shower outdoors. A bit weird at first because you always fear someone is lurking in the trees! It was just perfect for sleeping in :) There aren't any T.Vs in the room - I knew this before too! (Do your research people) We had bought a portable DVD player which was perfect for when it rained.

I can't believe how amazing this Island is. I would love to go back especially after the changes and improvements they have done. It looks even better than before!

This holiday is literally a pure relaxation holiday and would not suit people who love night-life!

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LarysaRose
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed in a "water villa with jacuzzi" It was immaculate and spacious. But if I went again i'd cut my costs in half by booking the basic villas because they're all good and all within metres of the ocean.

If you go then pay the extra for all inclusive and all the restaurants, they are all fantastic and if you don't pay beforehand it IS very expensive. You have to reserve the restaurants 2 days in advance (get to reception at 8am to do this). The Island BBQ was our favourite, they flambé the steak right in front of you (they wheel a mini kitchen to your table) and the beef ribs are one of the best things i've ever tasted. All of the restaurants were too good. So do yourself a favour and pay the £200ish in advance for them (your flying to the Maldives, treat yourself).

The staff can't do enough for you and even give you lifts around the island. unlike other all inclusive resorts I've been to where you have to tip the staff to get good service, here you get good service and don't need to tip (but we did because of how good it was).

Room Tip: I don't feel like it would have made our holiday any less enjoyable had we had a beach villa rat...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lukeis2cool
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

To sum up our holiday to Kuramathi ... Paradise!!!
We stayed on this amazing island between 29 sept - 10 Oct 13 on the select all incluive basis. Due to booking early with Kuoni we revived the next room upgrade therefore stated in a delux beach villa, prior to our arrival I contacted the resort and requested particular rooms due to reading reviews from other guests, which was accommodated by the hotel. We stayed in villa 356 and would certain ally recommend this room to anyone who wants to just open the door walk few steps and be on the white sand!! These few rooms are defiantly in the best location of the island and would request this area/ room again!!
The service from restaurants, spa, drivers and bar was impectiable. Manjula the bar manager from the Laguna bar (which was on our door step) could not have done enough for us and made our holiday. Food was amazing, had we not booked select all inclusive we may have got fed up with eating in the same restaurant the whole time. Island BBQ, the Reef were both outstanding along with the Tandoori. The other restaurants were also very good, however the previous were my favourites.
The island band were very good and infact we watched them a few times, never had time to watch movie on beach, they did this twice a week, however one of these nights is children's film.. Could do with more movie nights!!
The spa was amazing, we had a couples massage over the water, although it was around $150 it was worth paying for experience and bedside tips it was our only additional spend.
The only down side to our holiday was that we did not book for longer, 10 days just passed too quickly.

We can't wait to go back, even if we had an unlimited budget we would choose Kuramathi over any other island.

Tips:
=Select all inclusive
=Sea plane transfer- if can only afford one way make sure it's on your return journey otherwise you could be up and off island by 0600am as opposed to mid day
=Deluxe beach villa- or book early pay for beach villa and get the free upgrade if available
=Stay for as long as you can afford

Room Tip: Deluxe beach villa 356
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kate L
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed on Kuramathi in November 13. I've been lucky enough to travel all over the world and I can honestly say that absolutely nothing compares to this amazing place. The water really is as blue as it looks in brochures, the vegetation on the island was green, food was amazing and so were the staff. The diving was incredible, but even for non-divers, there was still so much to do.
I really can't recommend Kuramathi highly enough and whatever I say will not do it justice.
Obviously holidaying in the Maldives isn't cheap, but i would be happy to pay over and over again. Another plus side is that British Airways have started a direct flight from London Gatwick to Male, then from there it's a short flight on a seaplane or a slightly longer boat transfer. Brilliant.
For an all inclusive the food was spectacular and all the drinks were premium brands.
Our waiter, Shaah was assigned to our table for the whole trip and he was brilliant. It was always a pleasure to go for meal and he always had a smile on his face.
Thank you for such an unforgettable holiday and thank you to all the staff on the island that make the experience even better.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DLC_86
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'm in love with Maldives and believe it's a best place for human being. Kuramathi is the best place in Maldives for small children.

My husband and I traveled thier this summer with our 3,5 years old baby and we had a wonderful vacation. There is a great kids' club with playground and a swimming pool close to it, where babies can swim. The island is big enough to walk in different directions: the island spit is a separate attraction. There are also 2 small parks and a tiny museum. Show includes ray feeding and live music each evening (one band is fantastic, the rest are moderate). More than enough for a 10 days vacation.

Food is of a very high quality and my baby eat everything - no problems even without kids menu.

Also, there is a great beach with shallow water to enjoy swimming on the both sides of island.

Staff is more than very friendly!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria G
Shipham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I been to Kuramathi 12 times and I can't believe this is the first time I'm reviewing it!!

Kuramathi has changed a lot over the last 12 years and mostly they're improvements - it's a wonderful island, with the most amazing staff quite a few have been there every time we've visited - I always stay in the village at the large end of the island on all inclusive - we had several room boys, all of whom have high standards of cleanliness, the Haruge Restaurant is brilliant, you are given the same table/waiter for your stay Abul 'the Top Banana' is our friendly banter name for him is a great man and always very friendly and always has time for a chat, Nashid our waiter last year is a very talented great waiter and is very attuned to our 'carafe' and light tea requirements - if you get him you'll be very pleased with him.

The Fung bar is a very lively place on occasions, depending on the entertainment schedule. Jahangar (apologies Jahangar if I've spelt your name wrong),is the long standing bar waiter, and what a credit to Kuramathi he is, he is soooooo attentive and a really nice bloke it'll be a sad day for Kuramathi when he retires (which is a long way off I know). If you choose to sit at the bar, then the bar staff will keep your glasses filled too.

The island is kept spotlessly clean, with gardeners constantly attending to the flowers, boarders, pathways and beaches.

I'm trying a different island this year, as I thought I should after 12 years, and probably won't go back for another couple of years as I do want to try other Maldivian Islands, but Kuramathi has a special place in my heart, I'm always sad leaving and always wanting to stay, so I will be back it's a wonderful place.

If you have any doubts booking Kuramathi , don't, you won't be disappointed .

Room Tip: Rooms on the lagoon side have better beaches
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShiphamSynt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
W Maldives
W Maldives
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!