“Total relaxation”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I returned from Kuramathi 2 months ago, and have only just got on top of my waistline problem.
The whole experience was just fantastic from the moment we stepped onto the island to the point we took off by seaplane.
After a 10 hr flight on BA we had opted for boat transfer to the island, now if you are not a seasoned sailor and suffer from sea sickness perhaps you may want to think about how you transfer to kuramathi as it can be a bit of a rough crossing from male, as one of the passengers on our crossing was a little ill during the boat trip, made me smile thou !!!!!!!!

As for the island, it is about 1600m long with all types of accommodation and restaurants spread across it. There is a shuttle bus service running up and down but there is no schedule to it, so walking is the best option, but helps walk off the daily intake of calories. There is to levels of all inclusive, one restricts you to eating in the buffet restaurant you are allocated on arrival and select all inclusive which allows you to eat anywhere,, and from my experience I would recommend going for the select option as the food in the restaurants is excellent without any exceptions.
I would defy anyone to find fault with the food and service you receive on the Island, and my wife and I are well travelled around the world and could not write anything negative about the resort.
So in short go and enjoy the experience offered here and come back totally relaxed and with an increased waist line !!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If staying in deluxe beach bungalow ask for room 355 as it has a sun deck over the water, so all the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rse
Write a ReviewReviews (4,057)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stopped here for 4 nights on the way home after a 2.5 week tour of Sri Lanka. This was the best bit of the whole trip and I hate beach holidays and only agreed to it for my wife's pleasure. Safe to say I can't wait to get back there. The food is amazing and I would say definitely go for the all inclusive select option and take a cheaper room.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank randnet
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We first visited Kuramathi in 1996 and have returned many times since . In a nutshell it is a beautiful island well looked after by a team of hardworking ground staff . Have always found the staff friendly and helpful . The select all inclusive option is excellent value and the snorkelling is excellent , yes the reef suffered the coral blanching in 1998 but if you want to swim in an aquarium...... you won't be disappointed . So I endorse all the good things that have been written about Kuamathi , sadly some people will always find something to complain about but for us - it's paradise

1  Thank DianaukSmallfield
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We returned recently to Kuramathi for our 11th visit to the Maldives. We loved it even more 2nd time.
FOOD
Select AI is a real treat. New since 2012 Duniye offered great food (wild boar, reindeer, goat, moose!!!) and great service. The Island BBQ was still excellent, a real bit of food theatre having food flambéed at the table. Booking the restaurants is a bit of a pain but we mostly got our choice.
All the staff were lovely and, remarkably, several recognised us from last year which was nice.
ROOMS
We stayed in a Beach Villa, bit of a misnomer, whilst perfectly serviceable, not on the beach and among so much vegetation no sun either. In fact we feel that the location of some of the rooms on Kuramathi is nothing flash in general, the cheaper garden villas have one of the best locations. The JWV's are pleasant but lack the wow factor of the water villas on Athuruga, for example. The beaches are mostly quiet and pretty but the staff have a fulltime job keeping them clean of flotsam etc.
REEF
The reef at Kuramathi is magnificent especially from the first JWV's to the sand spit. In fact only the snorkelling at Vilamendoo was better in our experience. Some of the entry points get a bit shallow in lower states of tide so be careful when returning to shore.
WILDLIFE
Kuramathi has herons, fruit bats, myriad fish in its favour but not in its favour are the mossies (not too voracious with care) and the odd rat. We saw several of these but nothing like Meeru in the late 1970's when rats ran along the bar tops whilst the barmen fixed the drinks!!!

SUMMARY
Would we go back? A resounding YES. Food, staff and snorkelling are top notch. The island is big enough to get plenty of walking in. We chose to do 4-5 miles a day, which helped justify the industrial amounts of food and alcohol we consumed. The hot stone massage at the spa was good as well. And we loved the pool near the spa. All in all by Maldivian standards the cost of Kuramathi is not remarkable considering the standard and diversity of the facilities. Thanks for an excellent visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulWN
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was our honeymoon we opted for the upgraded All Inclusive to include the fine dining restaurants which is well worth the money!! We stayed in a Water Jacuzzi Villa which was AMAZING! After this I would never go to the Maldives any other way it was so relaxing having you own private area to come back to and relax then get in the sea and snorkel around the amazing reefs! The all inclusive restaurants are amazing quality and the staff are lovely you wouldn't get this anywhere else, the choice is great it felt like we had something new to do each night rather than a holiday becoming really repetitive. I cannot recommend this resort enough!! The days went so quickly and we weren't clock watching, we went by sunset to tell the time of day. I thought I might get bored because normally I like a holiday with things do to and see but this holiday was so much better than I thought it would be so good I would say it was my best holiday so far! I would love to go back and maybe one day we will but as it was our honeymoon we feel it may not be the same the second time round part of me wishes we hadn't gone here for honeymoon because then we could revisit. The island takes about 45 mins to walk from one side to the other but does have buggies to take you round the island. It is definetely one of the largest islands in the Maldives. When you go here you realise why the Maldives is so pricey because everything has to be imported and they maintain everything (roads, garden, staff living quarters etc....) all on the island and it always looked spotless. The staff work very hard and they should be proud because it pays off! Thankyou to all at Kuramathi!

Room Tip: Go for Jacuzzi Water Villa its well worth spending the extra!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

What a resort, everything from the food, staff, location, entertainment and activities was as near to perfect as one could get on a holiday. We stayed in a beach villa and the room was perfect, the only small tiniest minute issue we had was the fact that there was only a single thin sheet on the bed as a duvet. We ate in most of the al a carte restaurants apart from the Indian (the wife can't handle the spices) and the food was amazing. Of particular note was both the Steak Diane at the BBQ and the Duniye restaurant where the food was out of this world. I am not one for sunbathing and passed the days snorkeling on the reefs, it truly was amazing with lots of different fish to see. We had the couples massage out on the jetty which was a very relaxing and great experience. All in all we had a wonderful honeymoon and hope to return to Kuramathi next year. The weather was just nice, there was a couple of showers, mostly at night which gave way to pletny of sunshine during the day. If you only ever get the chance to go to the Maldives once in your life I would highly recommend Kuramathi Island Resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was my 4th Trip to the Maldives and the biggest Island I’ve visited. It was not my favourite.

Not many smiles. I’m not used to this in the Maldives, as usually everyone is very smiley and friendly. In this resort, nobody bothers to learn your name, you are simply referred to as your room number.

Room
We had a Jacuzzi Water Villa. The room was beautiful and exactly as shown on the website. We had no issues here and the Room Attendant was wonderful. The Jacuzzi is great. It was filled with fresh water for our arrival and our room boy changed it every day for us.
The towel heart on the bed with flowers and anniversary card were a nice touch.

The “Free” Wi-fi in the room cost me £18. Beware! I think if the signal drops, your phone defaults to normal network coverage which has very high charges.

Good
The Island is very big, but where we were (Room 266), it was very peaceful and quiet. The Island never felt overcrowded.
The transport buggies are well thought out. They save long walks in the intense heat.

Not so good
No alcohol is allowed in the rooms. This is ludicrous! The website says you can sit in your Jacuzzi with a glass of bubbly but unless they mean a glass of sprite, you’re stuffed. I fought them for weeks prior to my arrival to get a bottle of Prosecco in the room (which cost us $65 including GST and service charge, if you want to know)! We made it last 2 nights with the use of a good wine stopper, but we would have like the opportunity to buy another bottle, however this was out of the question. We appreciate that this is a Muslim Country and Alcohol availability is limited, but this is not acceptable. When I spend £5000 to come to your resort, if I want wine, for which I am prepared to pay 10x the cost of a bottle at home, you GIVE me wine!

Tips
A service charge was added to everything. I believe good service should be rewarded with tips, not an enforced service charge. No wonder they weren’t smiley. Staff were not appreciative of tips when they got them, except the room boy who was delighted with his.

Snorkelling
My Husband said there were a bigger variety of sea creatures than previous Islands, certainly we seen some very interesting beasties including a massive school of Dolphins passing by which was an amazing sight however the coral is very dull and bleached.
There are clearly marked snorkelling channels for use at low tide, which is a great idea, as high tide doesn’t come until late afternoon. Beware please use the snorkel channels because either at Low or High Tide the reef beside the Water Villas is only just below the water surface and will give you a nasty gash/scrape if you catch yourself on the coral.

There is no undercurrent that we experienced and if you get tired there are fixed buoys to have a rest at in the channels

Darling Husband accidently head butted a Turtle whilst snorkelling and the Turtle turned round and gave him a look as to say “idiot tourist”

Having Snorkel at Rannalhi, Chaaya Island Dhonveli, Gangehi Island Resort and now Kuaramathi , Rannalhi still has the best reef.

The Dive centre is very well equipped and will loan you snorkelling gear and flotation aids free of charge. This was a nice touch.

The annoying Kuoni Rep didn’t give 2 hoots about us on departure. She was too busy inviting the new arrivals to meetings! There was nobody to wave us goodbye on departure. This was very poor! I have been to an Island (Rannalhi) where we were personally walked to the boat by the Manager, who shook our hands and bid us a safe trip (maybe I should go back there!)

All in all, it wasn’t the worst Island I’ve been to, but not the best either. This is why I’m giving it an average mark.

I wouldn’t go back.

NOT RELATED TO KURAMATHI (and therefore does not contribute to the score)

Kuoni
Booking was fine. Free Access to the Gatwick Lounge (for repeat custom) was a nice extra.
The rep at the Island was irritating and kept asking us to meetings! Welcome meetings, departure meetings… I am not in the Maldives to attend meetings! I get enough of that at work!

Airport
It’s improved a little since my first visit in 2009 but it’s still a dismal, unfriendly place. Don’t expect great things here. Food is extortionate - $12 for a BK Whopper anyone? Ladies, cover your shoulders and knees please, to avoid further unpleasantness.

Seaplane Transfer
Awful, awful, awful. If you are even slightly claustrophobic please choose a speedboat transfer. Being stuck in a 6x18 foot cigar tube with no fresh air feed is most unpleasant.
On arrival, we were put out of the plane onto a floating plank (seriously) and left for a good 15 minutes while a boat came to get us.
On departure we were delayed 30 minutes, then put on a Dhoni and literally thrown around for at least 3 times the time it took to get there, meantime, I was getting soaked to the skin as the boat only had a cover on one side! By the time we got to the seaplane I was wet and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Jacuzzi Water Villa - You won't regret it.
2  Thank Dizzy80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
19 mi away
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!