“Great holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great holiday”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed on Kuramathi for ten days in early September following a four day trip to Dubai. All in all, we had a brilliant time despite pretty poor weather for the first five days (not too much rain really, but very overcast with rough seas).

Firstly this is a very big island by Maldives standards, and whilst this suited us due to the numerous dining options, those looking for the 'desert island' feeling may not like the mini-bus which acts as a shuttle around the resort.

The 'select all inclusive' package is a must in our view - the a la carte restaurants here are exceptional, we ate lunch in the Italian Restaurant or Coffee Shop (Burgers etc off the menu) everyday and were massively impressed. At dinner we tried all six of the 'a la cartes' and enjoyed them all (although watch out for some frankly weird combinations in the Dhoniye restaurant). Our favourites were the Island BBQ and Siam Garden, the steak at Island BBQ is amazing (but the 3x Chilli options at Siam are extremely hot so think carefully before choosing them). Our only real experience of the buffet food was at breakfast, which to be honest is only average at best, we tried the Maldivian breakfast at the Coffee shop once, which was an experience but fish curry at 9am didn't quite feel right.

Bar service was exceptional at all three bars, and again the AI package is very generous with genuine premium brands included (Chivas Regal / JW Black Label etc).

Our biggest regret (only regret really) was the room. We went for a standard Beach Villa, which was of a good size but stuck in the jungle and very dark, in retrospect we wish we'd gone for the Deluxe Beach Villa which are located at the tip of the island, and whilst smaller (and semi-detached) have a lovely setting over-looking the beach and ocean. These villas also have an indoor bath in addition to the outdoor rainfall shower, which would have been appreciated as we did have an encounter with a massive (8 inch) spider in the outdoor shower on our first night (although we never saw one again).

Snorkelling here was great, there were even fish to be seen in the lagoon to the left of the infinity pool for the less adventurous, although we found the best spot to the be to the right of the entry jetty. The sunset cruise is well worth doing too, some great photo opportunities as well as a chance to take a look at Veligandu island resort which is nearby.

All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had an amazing time and I couldn’t fault the island. I spent a long time researching the islands as I wanted to make sure we picked the right one given how much it costs to go to the Maldives! We selected Kuramathi because it was a larger island with 5 bars and 6 a la carte restaurants as when you are there for 10 days, one bar and one restaurant can get a bit monotonous. We booked through Jai at Travel lab as he offered us the best price and his advice and service was top notch. I would recommend getting a quote from him. I also asked him to request a room for us which we got.

We went for 10 days, flying with Qatar airways, seaplane transfer (a must) and we had a superior beach villa with Jacuzzi (no. 146 is by far the best, but 142 -145 were also nice) on the select ala carte basis.

The villa was really lovely, spacious and modern and it opened on to a patch of beach with a good view of the sea (30 foot away). Some villas have a lot of vegetation in front and little or no beach. The bed was very comfortable and pillows were really good. I slept really well here apart from the noisy bird that started squawking every morning so take earplugs! There were only a couple of drawers but plenty shelves were in the wardrobe for clothes. There weren’t many hangers but our room boy bought more for us. The bathroom is open air and is very nice although you can get bitten by mozzies whilst out there. The Jacuzzi was good although the water smelt a bit funny. We requested they change it but it still smelt the same. I would definitely pick this room again. we never had any mozzies in the room but we did take a jungle formula plug in. they also provide a blue beach bag in your villa which we used to carry snorkels etc. hairdryer was really powerful so no need to take your own ladies. Our villa was close to the bottom of the island, so near the reception, Island BBQ, Coffee Shop, Indian, Sand and Fung Bars and the infinity pool so a great location.

We opted for the select ala carte and it was well worth the money. You can check the restaurant menus on the Kuramathi website. The restaurants were available to book for up to 3 days in advance at 7pm/8pm/9pm and your table was yours for the night. The restaurants were quite quiet and we didn’t have any trouble getting our choices booked for the 8pm slot. I recommend you book your first 3 nights on check in at the island. Our favourites with the Island BBQ (Steak Diane!), the Indian, the palm and the coffee shop for lunch. This island serves some of the best steak I have ever had! Try the Wagyu beef at the Duniye speciality restaurant and the chocolate truffle tarte to follow! We had to eat in the buffet (Haruge) for breakfast and it wasn’t anything special although the service was good. I wouldn’t have liked to have had all my meals in the buffet restaurant. The breakfast just wasn’t as good as I would have expected given the quality of ala carte restaurants.

We found the service in all the bars to be good, the Laguna bar for the stingray feeding which is a must. Make sure you get there early at 5.30 for 6.30 feeding the sand and fung bar was our usual before dinner. It was lovely to sit on the beanbags on the sand or in the round pods having cocktails looking up at the stars. The cocktail list is extensive and there are known brands used, not just local spirits. The live band ‘The Wood’ play on the island a couple of nights a week and they are really good. There is also a cinema night on the beach at the Sand bar on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

The snorkelling was fantastic, shark soup! There were plenty of reef sharks and although they are not harmful to humans, it is still unnerving to see one swim past! We were also lucky enough to see a turtle. We snorkelled in channel 1 mainly but also tried a few of the other (2 and the furthest one up sandspit) and they are all a bit different. More coral growth on 2. make sure you go and get your snorkel and flippers when you arrive as these are well worth it and free.

The beach – we liked to sit almost outside our room as then we could pop back to the toilet, get drinks etc. there was never a battle for sunbeds but we did put our beach towels down on way to breakfast. We were based on the reef side right by snorkel channel 1 which was handy for an afternoon snorkel. The other side of the island is the lagoon side and is a bit bluer I think and less sea walls/blocks. There is a nice patch by the Palm restaurant. We sometimes went here for sunbathing followed by lunch instead of coffee shop. They have nice pastas and pizzas here. Also the Ice cream shop is there! Try the screwpine (the island fruit)

We didn’t go on any of the excursions but we did go on the sunset cruise which was included with the select ala carte package. This was booked and a time given to us at check in. it was lovely to go out on the boat for an hour, enjoy a glass of two of bubbly and we were lucky enough to see a pod of dolphins.

We had a couples massage whilst we were there on the open air pavilion followed by the bath with sparkling wine. It was $213 (ncluding 10% + 8% tax). The massages were good and the bath was a nice to do but the air con unit on the wall had terrible damp under it in the room with bath which did ruin the ‘look’ of the room a bit! The spa pool etc was nice and different from the infinity pool at the other end of the island. The infinity pool is beautiful at night with the lights in it.

We had perfect weather for the 10 days, 30 every day and no rain. We were worried about going in September but we needn’t have. One of the waiters told us to avoid the Maldives in May, une and July.

Tips:

- take plenty of mozzy spray, as you will need it from when you arrive. I got bitten at check in. we wore mozzy spray at all times, even over the top of suncream and we put it on jut to go to breakfast. You need spray within minimum 30% deet. We took 3 bottles with us and a jungle formula plug. I still managed to get bitten around 10 times and the bites swelled up pretty big! I guess they must love my blood. They didn’t bite me when wearing 100% deet though!
- Women don’t need to take heels – flats/flip flops as there is sand everywhere as expected with the exception of the restaurants and most of the bars.
- Make sure you visit the sandspit when the tide is out so you can try and walk to the very end!
-Also take your camera, we got some amazing pics of the sandspit and these are going to make lovely pics for my bathroom!
- Coral is a bit sharp on the sea floor so we took coral shoes to wear in the sea.
- Take factor 50 suncream as the rays are stronger here

A few nit-picking points:

-The resort photos do not show the man made sea wall/reef blocks that are needed to protect the island sealife. These are mainly on the reef side and they do spoil the view a bit from your sunbed on the reef side. I don’t think there were many of these on the lagoon side.
-They use golf buggies and a minibus to bus people around the island, using a raod down the middle. I don’t think golf buggies are out of place but a minibus did kind of spoil the island feel but I really am nit picking!
- the cost! not a cheap holiday but worth every penny!

If you are thinking about booking this island, then do it! You will not be disappointed!! If we get to go again, which I hope we will, I think we will try 5 days in a SBV and 5 days in a water villa.

Please send me a message if you have any questions.

3 Thank Rhianna P
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed October 1, 2013

In addition to all the wonderful reviews I will just point out their excellent customer service. The rooms are cleaned 2 times a day; if you need extra coffee in your room, they gladly provide it. Everyone - everyone-smiles and greets you whenever you are on the island.

For those concerned about things to do: walk around the island; snorkel; swin in different parts of the island; rest by one swimming pool and then by the other one; exercise in the great fitness center; have massage with your loved one at the SPA; read books (plenty of them in different languages); watch a movie by the sea; have cocktails; play tennis; try wind-surfing ....

We stayed in Deluxe Jacuzzi Beach Villa, so you can have a late night jacuzzi with your loved one and some champagne.

We almost cried when leaving the place. You should definitely go! And if you don't like it, blame me for it :)

Room Tip: We hesitated between a water villa and a jacuzzi beach villa at first but never regretted it as the...
1 Thank Vladychynska
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful place. You truly never believe that a place like this exists until you see it and you want to go back for more. The disappointing element was a few excursions were cancelled due to the weather which is not the hotels fault but the weather/ rain wasn't for too long so the excursion could have just been delayed rather than cancelled altogether. Overall a wonderful place to have your honeymoon or anniversary and seen as though I went for my honeymoon I would definitely like to return for an anniversary.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just returned from 5 nights here on our honeymoon.
We spent 5 nights in Dubai then flew the 4 hours from dubai to the Maldives. Our flight was at 3am and I would recommend if you do have a long flight or one that is through the night the get the sea plane from Male to this resort which we did, as it takes just 20 mins as opposed to 1 hour/1.5 hours.
Just for advise if you do travel on sea plane your luggage must be 20kg for hold luggage and 5kg for hang luggage- no matter what it states on your international flight allowance so if you want to go over this the speedboat transfer may be best. However they do calculate the weight across all bags in the party, we were about 6-8kgs over and it only cost 20 dollars so not too bad, and as we got speedboat back we did not have to pay twice.
We stayed in water villa with a Jacuzzi which was amazing!!!! there is nothing like waking up to those views every morning, I could not sit still when sunbathing i was up and down every few minutes to look in the water and see the fish and the sharks.
We managed to see dolphins swim by on our last day about 2.30pm - for those who want to keep their eye out the dolphins apparently pass early am and late afternoon?
For the romantics out there you can book private meals for extra costs, the serenade meal take place at the end of a jetty over water which we really wanted but was unfortunately fully booked so i would suggest you book this straight away- or before you travel if there is an option to do this. There is another option though which is to have dinner on the beach which was just as lovely.
The snorkeling trip was great and lovely to see more of the reef although on our trip we did not see much more than we had seen on the reefs around Kuramathi. The Sunset cruise was really nice. I would also recommended venturing the the end of the island the sun sets at the catch this as it was really lovely.
Watching the rays being fed was such a sight too!
Cant really put into words how much I enjoyed this holiday my only wish would be that we stayed a little longer.
Also i would urge everyone comfortable in the water to ensure they get their free snorkeling kit as the sights you see are truly amazing!
One thing to mention is there are two all inclusive packages, basic one which includes all drinks etc but only buffet food, or select all inclusive which includes all a la carte. I don't know what the price difference is but would ask your travel agent as we did not remember being told about the two differences, and I was a bit disappointed when we arrived on our honeymoon to be told we were on a basic package, as from someone who worked in catering for years I am not really keen on buffet restaurant holidays but I have to say the food was amazing, but would just would have liked the option so good to note for anyone travelling here. Oh and anyone trying the a la carte the Siam Garden- the thai restaurant the food is amazing!!!!! My husband would go back again just to eat another bowl of the soup!
Fareed our server in the buffet restaurant was lovely and attended to our every need. And although i feel uncomfortable using this term our room boy was amazing, our room was spotless, well stocked with drinks, without us asking the jacuzzi was refilled with fresh water each time we used it.
Only think I would change at all is the beds were a little hard, slept well but did wake up sore from the bed- not wanting this to be a negative but hopefully a note for future if ever look to make it even better.
Can not wait to return one day, think this is the most beautiful place I have ever been.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Water villa with Jacuzzi, spectacular view, high quality, loads of space and detached. Room 280 in p...
1 Thank Vicky C
uk
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We would definitely stay here again. Deluxe beach villa was wonderful. Our deck area opened out on to the beach and the beautiful lagoon was steps away.. Gorgeous weather at the beginning of July and it only rained a little at night. Food and drink was very good and we only upgraded once to the a la carte restaurant because it was a special birthday. The staff were excellent especially our restaurant waiters. It is a big island so you can walk a lot around the place. I want to go back now please!

Room Tip: Deluxe beach villa was very nice. If you want even more romantic go to the water villas
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank donnarhi303
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here after 9 days in Sri Lanka where we got married.
We booked a garden villa but when we got there had a beach villa which was lovely.
The staff were friendly and the food was good (although we were spoilt with fab Sri Lankan food so it was hard not to compare) the all inclusive package was good. Drinks anywhere on the island are free (68 cocktails to chose from!) but your food is only included at the buffet restaurant. I think this is pretty standard though.
The pools were lovely and clean.
Everything was lovely, clean and you felt like you are on a honeymoon.
It was even suitable for our 2 year old.
The seaplane is a must, great experience.
All in all I don't have anything bad to say about Kuramathi. It's one if the bigger islands so there is a bit more to do - walks etc which was good. We really enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Flacks05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!