Kuramathi Island Resort
Aloha Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)(Great Value!)
$100
$74
Acqua Blu Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)(Great Value!)
$54
$503
  • Breakfast included
$44
$38
Travelocity
Holiday Heaven Ukulhas(Ukulhas)(Great Value!)
$90
Hotels.com
Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
$237
$194
  • Beachfront
Gangehi Island Resort(Gangehi Island)
$257
$198
$189
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Kandolhu Maldives(North Ari Atoll)
$840
  • Breakfast included
4,193 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssunset cruiseall inclusive packageour honeymoonkuoni repsea planedeluxe beach villawater villalagoon sidefishbuffet restaurantkuramathi islandsand bankallocated restaurantcoffee shopreef sharksmain reception
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I visited Kuramathi for our honeymoon, and stayed for 10 nights. I had done some extensive research, so we knew what to expect when we arrived, and it met our expectations in every way.

After a long journey, we finally arrived and were met with a cold towel and a cold drink. We could feel ourselves relaxing almost immediately. Check-in was quick and we were taken to our room. The room was lovely (Beach Villa with Jacuzzi), a good size and spotless. The bathroom was open to the small garden area, which we were a little apprehensive about at first. We needn't have worried as there were very few bugs in the bathroom (just 2 friendly little lizards), and it was great standing in the shower listening to the birds and crickets outside.

Food and drink on the island was very good, with the Steak Diane being the highlight. The Siam Garden was also very good (we had a very friendly waiter), as was Duniye. The Tandoor Mahal was a little disappointing, but we were there on buffet night so it may be better on normal nights. Lots of cocktails to choose from, and draft San Miguel which was a plus! Breakfast buffet was of a good standard, as was lunch when we used it. Island Coffee Shop was very good for lunch. Ice cream at the Palm was lovely!

It takes a couple of days to get your bearings, but after a little while you know where you are going with paths etc. Gardens were kept immaculate by the friendly gardeners, with some beautiful flowers. The wildlife on the island is great as well, with so many things to look at. The bats are pretty big, but keep away from you. We did suffer from some mozzy bites, but these were a minor irritation and to be expected. However we did find the top half of the island (Palm upwards) seemed to be a little worse for them, perhaps that was just us. Sealife was amazing, and we saw lots of fish while snorkelling and even standing on the jetty outside reception. We used to watch a heron fishing in amongst the sharks each morning, and these herons were often popping up around the island. They tried to steal some food at the stingray feeding, which is definitely worth a watch. Saw lots of crabs as well.

The staff were all very helpful (apart from one unhappy guy in our buffet restaurant!), and always had a smile and a hello for you. the only problem we had was with our Jacuzzi, which wouldn't heat up. The Kuoni rep said she would speak to maintenance, but we never heard any more.

The seaplane transfer is exciting, and gives some great views on the way. It is pretty noisy and hot, but not too bad for a short flight. We did have a 2 hour wait though when we arrived in Male, due to a technical issue with the seaplane. The lounge was comfy enough though, and we grabbed a little sleep while waiting.

Overall we had a great time at Kuramathi, and would definitely recommend it. If you are considering going, just book it! This was our first time in the Maldives, and we loved it. The beaches and sunsets were beautiful. The highlight of our holiday was having a pod of dolphins appear next to us in the lagoon while we were out on the glass bottom kayak. This was truly magical, and something we may never experience again. One final note on the weather. It was hot and humid, but probably not quite as bad as we thought it might be. We had a couple of cloudy days early on, and then pretty much solid sunshine for the rest of our time there. Had about 5 spots of rain on our first day and that was it for the whole 10 days! The sun is very strong though, and you can burn very easily, even if you are used to sunbathing in hot weather.

1  Thank Lightning1977
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had avidly been glued to all the reviews for the resort for over a year because for us its something we have never done before.. as you can see from all the past reviews that I have written! I had many worries and doubts about transfers, what all inclusive we should have an where the villa would be situated!! Anyway here goes.

It is a fantastic place. We booked through explorer travel.. a young lady called Vicky so got a discount on the kuoni prices which was fab. She had been there before so did know the Island as well which helped. Originally we were booked on the boat transfer both ways but we upgraded to sea plane as there is only one transfer back to Male ay 6am in the morning which would ruin your last night there and result in a very long wait at Male airport for your flight home!. We booked BA flights which I felt was the best way as its non stop and has reasonable flight times. So firstly the boat transfer was almost instant when you got off of the plane.however it was a bit arduous.. our 14 year old started to be ill after about an hour on the open seas and it wasn't really choppy so I would recommend a sea plane transfer really. The return journey by sea plane was quick and really amazing as we did the " last look flying over the island thing" which brought a tear to my eye. It did scare me at first though as the plane is tiny and stacked up with luggage and people.. and you go out to a pontoon in the middle of the sea to get it.! Its HOT and noisy on board but better than that boat any day.
So the villa...we had a beach villa. Number 37. Lovely setting, could have done with a bit more sun on my veranda but no worries as the beach was seconds away. Cleaned twice daily and new beach towels every day. We looked at the other villas and didn't see much point in booking anywhere else.. the water villas looked ok but the sea seems a bit choppy underneath them.. didn't see the point in a Jacuzzi or private pool unless honeymooners are so wrapped up in themselves which is a shame because I think you should be there to look at the amazing beach and ocean! We especially enjoyed our little bit of beach which was close to Haruge restaurant, sea was calm there as opposed to the other side of the Island which seemed a little more choppy .Easy to get in and out of the water here too.

All inclusive. Reading the reviews I thought we had made a big mistake not booking select package but I was thankfully so wrong! The buffets were amazing and changed every week so even if you had a Chinese buffet one week the following week would be different. Lovely selection of grilled fish, meats, salads.. you name it, in the end we were so full by the end of the holiday !! They try to big up the other restaurants saying you really must book in advance but they looked a bit empty when we were there....Only one thing we missed on the all inclusive bit.. the thing our 14 year old girl loved.. Ice cream and milk shakes were extra of course! But no shortage of cocktails for me though! We had all our meals in Haruge and no complaints at all!
Spent a lot of time in the Fung bar too which was nice and did the open air movies!
We did sunset cruise which was a freeby and lovely but didn't bother with the trip to the next door Island with the 2 masts on it luckily cos apparently it wasn't up to much!
The snorkelling...Fantastic . We mainly went for channel 1 but it was a little choppy out there so do heed the marine biologists warnings about times and tides. We also saw a great deal where we were sunbathing.. even a shark ventured round there one day!

Do go to the end of the Island and walk along the sandbank and DO go sting ray feeding!
We made plenty of use of the lovely spa and had some lovely treatments there so do book one of these if you can
The wildlife is amazing too.. I have NEVER seen so many bats, lizards and geckos. Those bloomin birds though in the morning!!
So any complaints...not really so my other half moaned about the mosquitos.. which were tiny and got you morning, noon and night ,repellent or not but it didn't ruin my time. My only moan was the shops really soooo expensive even for some ear plugs 25 US dollars!!! 70 dollars for a beach bag! Also half way up the Island near the sewage bit.. hmm may want to avoid a villa there.. bit of a pong.
Weather was fine, couple of cloudy moments and a day of rain..

All in all though a fantastic trip of a life time!

Room Tip: beach villas are fine.. even the garden villas are close to the beach if you are on a budget!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank karenb21
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a wonderful holiday, only neg is the mozi's, but you get that anywhere. We went for 10nights & could have stayed longer. Would recommend to couples who want a quite holiday to go out side school holidays as noticed a few more people & noise on beach last few days as more families arrived. Recommend the AI Select eating plan; we had, 5* dinning every night with good selection of bottled wines and top rate spirits e.g. Bombay Gin & Smirnoff Vodka and lost more! My in-laws live in Barbados & we have been many times to the Caribbean; the indian ocean is soooo much nicer & that's saying something when my husband agrees. Plenty of staff who couldn't do enough for you & very attentive. Sunset cruise brilliant, we were lucky & saw lots of dolphins. Also saw many different fish, swam with sharks (harmless), rays & a mantaray & turtle whilst snorkelling. Lots of fruit bats (one pooped in my hubby mouth & beard when looking up at the Banyan Tree whikst taking photos) ha ha. Herons everywhere but not a problem when taking a dip with you in the infinity pool! Moved to 2nd room after two nights, much better position as could see & hear sea from our room. kuramathi was our first stay in the Maldives, it was just right for us. We would go to the Indian Ocean again in a heart beat & would be happy to return to Kuramathi. Took PG tea bags, Cadbury chocolates, and wine gums for our Kuoni rep Nicole. She was so grateful & am sure she would love to recieve more home comforts. Tell her I recommended you bring it. She should remember me & my hubby (beard & tattoo legs) when you mention PG tea & chocs.

2  Thank teddysalad1
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I visited Kuramathi island resort with my husband for our honeymoon during the first two weeks of July 2013. As an overall honeymoon we had a fantastic time although experienced a few little niggles which did not met my expectations when spending such a large amount of money on a luxury holiday.

The good

The island is beautiful and whilst it is quite a large island and we were told it holds around 600 guests it didn’t feel crowded or busy. There was always a table available in the island café for lunch and a table or seat in the bars in the evening. All areas are kept spotlessly clean and there were gardeners going around keeping the paths/gardens tidy.

The wildlife was wonderful to see each day, from the fish and the sharks in the sea to the fruit bats flying over head. We did get a number of mosquito bites but that can only be expected from such as lush Tropical Island.

The service was very good, on occasion a little slow waiting for drinks at the bar in the evening but generally of a very high standard, they remembered the drinks we had and brought more, and refilled drinks during meals in the restaurants. The room again was spotless clean, the room boy came twice a day and I was impressed that there was never any sand in our villa.

The food was probably some of the best food I have ever eaten in my life, we booked as select all inclusive and I think that’s the only way to go. We only ate in the buffet a few times for breakfast. We had lunch most days at the island café which had a really good choice of food (although would be nice to have more breakfast style dishes for if you get up too late and miss the buffet as we did a few times.) Pizza at the palm was lovely for lunch too. Each night we ate in a different restaurant, I think our favourites were the Siam Garden (Thai) or the Island BBQ however I can honestly say we didn’t have a bad meal anywhere and we struggled to choose which restaurant we wanted to go back to as they were all so good.

We had the serenade dinner on the pier on our last night as it was my birthday. This was really special and they had decorated the table for us. We had a personalised menu and the waiter was very good. When we got back to the room they delivered a birthday cake which was a lovely surprise.

The not so good

We had a very unsettled start to our honeymoon. We had booked through Travel Counsellors with Kuoni in July 2012 and were told when we booked that we would receive a complimentary room upgrade from Beach Villa to the next available room category which would be Deluxe Beach Villa.
We flew direct to Male with BA and then took the seaplane to Kuramathi. We arrived very tired and hot after our long journey at around 12pm to be told our room was not ready (yet everyone else who arrived at the same time as us were able to go to their rooms!), this was disappointing after a long journey and as it was our honeymoon. We were taken by buggy to the other end of the island to wait at the bar, finally at around 1:30pm we were told that the room was ready. On entering the room we were immediately disappointed by the size of the room, it was really not what I had expected especially as this was supposed to be an upgraded room. There was only really room for the bed, no other place to sit and there was no storage (6 coathangers in the small wardrobe for a 2 week holiday for two people!) and only 2 shelves and no drawers. The patio doors opened onto a small decked area and then a small bit of beach completely shaded by palm trees with no where to lie out in the sun. The bathroom was small and the outside shower was nothing special, just a normal shower without a roof. Outside the front of the room there was a scaffolding structure with what looked like a water tank in it, this was definitely not the dream honeymoon villa I had imagined from looking at the pictures/reviews. We spoke to the Kuoni rep to express how we felt and decided that we would upgrade our room so we could fully enjoy our honeymoon however we could not upgrade until the next day so we went to dinner and had an early night without unpacking. We upgraded to a superior beach villa with Jacuzzi at a reduced rate, this villa was much better, slightly larger with a proper outside bathroom, and with a large decking area leading straight onto a lovely bit of beach. After moving around lunchtime on our second day we settled in and could enjoy the rest of our honeymoon. I would also say that apart from flowers on the bed and a card there was no other acknowledgement at any time during our stay that this was our honeymoon.

My next small issue comes with the booking system for the restaurants. You have to book these two days in advance, so my first problem with this is that I am not sure what restaurant or time I will feel like eating at in two days time. Secondly each restaurant had 3 sittings 7pm, 8pm or 9pm. For a relaxing holiday it was quite annoying being constrained by a time and having to wear a watch in the afternoon/evening to ensure that you not miss your booking in a restaurant. The third problem with this was that the restaurants got booked up very quickly, the bookings opened at 8am to book your restaurant for 2 days time, there was usually a queue in reception from around 07:50 of people waiting to book. Luckily I am usually an early riser so this was ok for us but on the day I overslept and went to book our restaurant at around 10am I was told there was only space available in the Indian restaurant!

My last niggle is with the buses/buggies that are provided to help you travel around the island. There were sometimes a long wait for one to come, which again could cause a problem if you had a restaurant booking at a certain time! One night we waited for over half an hour for a buggy!

In summary we had a fantastic honeymoon, but it was just not quite as perfect I was expecting. I would go back to the Maldives but probably not to Kuramathi.

3  Thank Hayley S
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I'm not sure there are enough words to say how amazing this beautiful island is. We have just returned from an incredible two weeks celebrating my husbands 50th birthday.I would definately recommend the sea plane as its an amazing way to see the islands. We had fantastic weather and never saw a drop of rain even though we though we were in the monsoon season.
Absolute musts - Go Select All Inclusive if you enjoy amazing food. particularly the Island BBQ and Duniye, are an essential visit
If you can afford to go for a deluxe beach Villa ask the hotel (they are active Facebook users) if you can have a villa nearer the sandbank. I asked them if this was possible and we were in one of the last 5 villa's at the end of the island.
You are allocated a particular buffet restaurant where you can have all your meals if you want, and what was so lovely is that you are allocated a table for your whole holiday and also the same waiter. Suhail was a lovely waiter who was attentive and so friendly.
Take advantage of the sunset Cruise that you can go on, we saw dolphins on our trip and had a couple of glasses of bubbly.
The Island Hop excursion is well worth doing, we visited three islands, and had a BBQ on a deserted island for lunch, real robinson crusoe stuff!
On my husbands birthday they surprised us by decorating our room with lovely flowers, and then surprised him with a cake in the evening after dinner in Duniye.
We swam with turtles, and reef sharks, rays and an amazing aray of colourful sealife, and that was just snorkelling.
Although this is a big island, you barely saw anyone apart from in the restaurants and everyone was so friendly.
The only downside to the entire holiday was the flights. If you can afford to spend a bit more and fly emirates, i would recommend it. We flew Qatar Airways and never again!
This was our first visit to the Maldives, and we are already looking forward to going again. Its a fabulous place and a wonderful island.
Thank you Kuramathi for making our stay and my husbands birthday so special.

Room Tip: Don't be frightened to email then and request a particular area or room. They will do their best to accommodate you. The deluxe villa near the sandbank are the quieter end of the island
1  Thank Jowinfield448