“Wonderful place to go to”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here for 12 nights and thought it was wonderful, nice size island to walk around. We upgraded on the food and could not fault the restaurants and the staff could not do enough for you. The villa was spotless and clean with a view through the trees to the sea. Can't wait to go again, loved the sea plane from Mali and seeing all the islands as we flew in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kateSoutheast

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have just come back from our honeymoon where we spent 7 nights in an overwater bungalow with Jacuzzi in Kuramathi. Kuramthi is a slice of paradise in the Indian Ocean. The villa was spotless and private on both sides. The staff were very freindly and helpful. It is amazing waking up to the sound of the waves crashing against your villa. An important recommendation is to make sure that you go select all inclusive as if you go basic all inclusive you need to pay to eat in the amazing Island barbeque and it is expensive. With select all inclusive you can eat and drink what you like in any of the restaurants and bars. The snorkelling is amazing and as it has its own house reef you do not need to leave the island to see amazing sea life. There is plenty of reef sharks about. For a complete break from reality we would recommend Kuramathi and would love to return. Suzanne and Kieran

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This has got to be the best place on earth, i was there in December 2012 and have rebooked to go back in Oct 2013, and cannot wait, perfect perfect perfect is all that need to be said. The staff, the location, the food, the entertainment were perfect. Little rainy in Dec but that didnt matter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here with our teenage children in August 2012. Beautiful resort, fantastic snorkelling, beaches, wonderful, good quality food and restaurant service, and Eco centre where you could attend fascinating lectures about sea life. We saw reef sharks, rays, eels, and turtles and the children even swam with dolphins. Unfortunately we were irritated by a few things. The room service was sporadic but improved when brought to hotels attention. There were quite a few rats which were NOT due to unhygienic circumstances as the resort was spotless. The staff worked really hard to keep them under control. The service at the bar near the swimming pool was rude, but this changed after we complained. It was not clear where to get beach towels. The most annoying thing was having to get to reception by 8 in the morning to book your preferred restaurant despite being all inclusive. Buggies to take guests to restaurants ran well, jacuzzi in shower area lovely and relaxing. Having said all this - wonderful holiday in a piece of paradise and our issues were dealt with promptly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 695Anon
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We were there for 7 nights and towards the end wished if had done the booking for two weeks instead! I snorkelled with my son and wife for the first time and was stunned by the amazing sea life around the resort. The resort is clean with really hospitable staff and a wonderful kids club! I am told by my wife that the spa was out of the world experience , maybe ill try it next time. The ride to the resort can get a bit choppy so stay inside the speedboat and cover urself with mosquito repellent , it's tropical island and one can expect the usual dose of mosquito bites in one word it's worth every bite! Swimming with the reef sharks watching the sharks hunt down the anchovies with Mr Heron was mesmerising , needless to say we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank mindreadingmystic
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Paradise!

I don't know that I can add much more than Glee Geeks and KeenBean so do read their reviews.

I would add that it seems to us a no-brainer to upgrade to the select all inclusive, although the food in the allocated restaurant was absolutely fine - the thought of 10 days of buffet didn't float our boat. One of our dinners in the a la carte restaurant cost $250 and on the select all inclusive this was free - so you can guess what we would have spent over the course of 10 nights when we ate at the a la carte for 8 of our nights. The select all inclusive also means that ALL of your drinks are paid for - this would soon add up when every bottle of water has to be paid for and every soft drink etc. Even the ice creams are included in the Select All inclusive - and the ice cream bar was a visit for us every afternoon. I really can't recommend this option enough.

As part of the honeymoon package we got the sunset cruise, $50 to spend in the shop (spent on factor 50 suncream!) and a candlelit dinner - which was very nice indeed. If I were to grumble it would be that I had to get up at 8am every day in order to book the a la carte restaurant - if you weren't there at 8am then you may not get the time or choice of restaurant (limited sittings at the 7pm / 8pm and 9pm slots in order to avoid having to ask you to vacate the table - but I did get up so we always got what we wanted.

We had the superior beach villa with jacuzzi and the room was absolutely lovely - the aircon stayed on all day, and we were 10 steps from the beach, but still secluded by some trees and shrubs in front of our villa. We used the jacuzzi most evenings, even though my husband questioned why we wanted it originally - we got a can of beer each from the bar on the way back from the gym and sat in the jacuzzi drinking it - could of course also had the soft drinks from our mini bar (which are included in the Select all inclusive).

We also used the brilliant gym 7 nights out of 10 - only on one occasion were there 2 other people in the gym!

The spa is amazing - we did the $200 ($240 including taxes) lovers spa which was an hour in a Ylang Ylang essence bath with floating flowers and a bottle of cava and fruit followed by a 90 minute thai massage which we booked in the over ocean pavilion (for no extra cost) and it was an amazing experience, that just added to our overall holiday.

Be warned there is a 10% local tax and then an 8% service charge added to anything that goes on your room bill - you DON'T pay this on anything that you get through the all inclusive select system though.

The snorkelling was great - and I'm a complete beginner - again with the all inclusive select the hire of equipment was free. My husband swam with a turtle and hasn't stopped going on about it since. different parts of the island offer different conditions so do change around - don't just stay in one spot.

The food was absolutely fantastic in the a la carte restaurants - I had the largest king prawns that either me or my husband have ever seen and they were so tasty - that was in the newly opened Dunihy restaurant (my personal favourite) - the chocolate torte was to die for too. for 10 nights, with the a la carte options you just couldn't go wrong - it made the holiday.

The buggy service around the island was really good - and saved those sore flip flop feet on occasions.

Ladies - do not take posh shoes with you - it is a sand island mostly and even the roads have a sandy/dusty layer - so the only time I wanted to wear posh shoes I went barefoot to the restaurant and then put my shoes on. I got dressed up for all of the dinners, but you didn't feel pressurised into it - my husband wore smart/casual shorts every night with a shirt - his trousers and black shoes didn't come out of the cupboard.

There are no mosquito's - but I did get bitten by something - so if you are prone to bites, take some anti histamine to take so you don't scratch them the next day.

Check your transfer time if you are on the boat leaving the island - our excellent travel agent at Travel Designers phoned me a few days before we were going on holiday to say that the transfer times had changed to around 6am no matter what flight you were on - even ours which was at 4.15 in the afternoon - he suggested that we changed our transfers around and we got the boat inwards and the seaplane outwards - which worked perfectly as we left the island at 12pm instead.

If you are going to book the seaplane do it BEFORE you travel to the island as we paid £50 here and it was $141 dollars on the island - and the seaplane is the coolest thing I've ever done - we were lucky and had to land to pick up extra passengers so we got to land and take off twice - it's so brilliant.

I can highly recommend this Island, though I have nothing to compare it to in the Maldives as this was my first trip. But I have travelled extensively and if you are looking for a little bit of romantic paradise - then this is it. This is how everyone else we spoke to on the island felt as well.

OK, have waffled on for long enough! We LOVED it.

Room Tip: We had a superior beach villa with jacuzzi and outside shower and daybed - it was amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravellingLex
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for honeymoon in June 2012, as it had been recommended by several of our friends. We had the most incredible time. If you are considering going, definitely choose the select all inclusive option, as the food is some of the best I have ever had, and you get to choose wine by the bottle. They will even let you take a bottle back to your room if you want to from the restaurants. The thai restaurant was particularly good, and the prawns in the taster meal for 2 were the largest I have ever seen! The snorkelling around the island is wonderful, just make sure you wear a t-shirt as you may burn...watch out for the trigger fish though as we saw one! The sharks are all harmless....wish we could go back! The resort is very tidy and despite there being 290 rooms, you could easily wander around and hardly see anyone. Definitely would recommend saving the money on the room, as they are all nice, and spend that on the select all inclusive option!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KatieandSim0n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!