“Heavenly holiday!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Heavenly holiday!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We travelled to Kuramathi with BA direct WT+ from 27 Jan - 11 Feb 2013. Our flights with BA were very comfortable and we enjoyed the food, drinks and inflight entertainment. The WT+ was worth it for us as I have long legs and so struggle for long haul flights if I haven't got much room.
As many have already said, the seaplane lounge is a lovely place to relax for the short wait for your seaplane and the seaplane ride was a great experience to start the holiday! As we approached Kuramathi, I recognised it straight away after having already spend months pouring over their website and the Trip Advisor pages for any information that I could glean! I couldn't believe that we were almost there!
The island is absolutely wonderful. The grounds are all immaculate and very well tended to each day. The beaches are like holiday brochure paradise and all very spread out and empty so don't think that you will be battling for sun loungers or for a nice space by the sea, you will have most of the place to yourself! When we were there the island apparently had 600 guests on it, it did not feel like there were 60 at times. You never felt like there were many more people than the few that you saw about the day.
I am now going to try to focus on bits of information that I really wanted to know before we went away.
Accom - we stayed in the deluxe beach villas with jacuzzi. These villas were brilliant, clean, spacious and well located centrally on the island and on the beach. Some people don't seem to be fussed about the jacuzzi, however we used ours every day! There is nothing nicer after a scuba dive or hours snorkelling than to relax in a hot tub in the garden and enjoy a cheeky glass of vino! So we really enjoyed having the jacuzzi. The day bed was lovely for lounging on but we found that it was too hot during the main part of the day and we preferred to lie out on our beds on our terrace or the beds on the beach. We walked around all of the other accom during our stay and we thought that all of the villas looked good. there are none that I would advise to steer clear of, and whilst the garden villas are not directly on the beach, if you can walk a few metres without trouble, you really are not far enough for it to matter. The water villas looked lovely to us. They are a bit smaller than the ones with jacuzzis, but they don't deserve the bad press that they get from reviewers, they looked lovely! Of course the over water villas with jacuzzis look amazing and they do benefit from spectacular views. My only comment against them would be that our beach villas were considerably more private. We could walked around how we pleased to our outdoor shower and jacuzzi without any worry about being seen, whereas everyone snorkelling or passing on dive boats can see if you have your bikini on in your jacuzzi or not! Just a thought...
Food - we went a la carte inclusive and possibly saved one million pounds doing so! Slight exaggeration but we ate every evening for 2 weeks in one of the a la carte restaurants, with wine with dinner and often enjoyed either brunch or lunch at on of the cafés or restaurants rather than the main buffets. The buffet restaurants that you can be allocated to are fine, but we would not have enjoyed that choice or selection for 2 weeks. The omelette station for breakfast is good though! The Dunye restaurant had just opened and was spectacular - food and service, but is a struggle to get a reservation for! We found ourselves on a couple of occasions having to be at the reception desk at 0800 to book either there or the Reef as they get booked up within minutes. One down point I would say. All of the restaurants are brilliant and have great service and food so you cannot really go wrong. I think the Thai was a particular favourite for us and the other restaurants do amazing seafood and fish dishes so that you don't feel like you must go to the Reef for that.
Drinks - extensive cocktail and drinks list included in the a la carte inclusive. We did not feel the need to stray outside of all the drinks that were available to us. The wine lists are good and there's plenty of choice. Some people are worried about not being able to drink in your villas. You can take drinks from the bar to your villas no problem - no sneaking required! We often ordered a second bottle of wine with dinner and the staff think nothing of putting the cork in, leaving the screw top on or whatever if you say it is for taking back to your villa. So you can have a nice bottle chilling in your villa fridge or a red by your drinks area for enjoying the next day on your terrace or in your jacuzzi! We did not feel that we suffered only having soft drinks stocked up in the fridge, and in the heat, we needed them!
Weather - hot, sunny days every day. A nice breeze off the sea which is much needed! Not a drop of rain until a light shower on our last day! Absolutely fantastic!
Scuba diving - great dive team, very friendly and good fun! We enjoyed 6 dives including a night dive and they were all good, although a couple were with some cheeky currents!
Snorkelling - out of this world!!!!! I have never been somewhere were the snorkelling is as much fun as this. We saw sharks, rays, turtles, so many fish just on the reefs whilst snorkelling, it was really exciting each day! If you have never tried this before - do here! We tested out our waterproof camera with outstanding results!
WIldlife - lots of little creatures to keep you amused, geckos, fruit bats, herons, sharks etc. We did find that were were getting eated during the day and not just the night so we put some mozzie spray on during the day and evening. They were not big bites though like I have had with mozzies before and they didn't itch with that unrelenting irritation that some bites can for days. They were more of a 24 hour inconvenience and then left marks so that you did look a bit eaten at times in your bikini or strappy dress. I would just make sure that you use a spray that works for you, either Jungle Formula with diet or Repel 50! We had no problem with mozzies in our villa at all.
Staff - we found all of the staff to be friendly and polite. I think if you can say please and thank you, smile and have generally good manners yourself, then you will not have any problems.
Size of the island - we walked everywhere without the need for the bus and we did not struggle with any of the routes or distances, whether bare foot or in sandals etc. The bus looked to be quite regular and accessible, so if you cannot walk any distance or have small children, then you should find the buses convenient. We did manage to lose our bearings a few times which was a laugh! The island is subtly lit in the evenings so no need for torches, although some folk do seem to like pretending to be miners with head lamps??!! The evening walks are beautiful and the night sky is crammed with stars!
Spa - serene, professional and very enjoyable! I had a pedicure and we enjoyed a couples massage and both treatments were value for money and great. I liked that we got to enjoy our treatments without the hard sell of products or other treaments that we should try straight after, which we have experienced before and somewhat takes the shine off things. We just enjoyed our massage and were allowed to sit and relax watching the sea with a drink after before heading off. No pressures at all!
All in all we had an absolutely amazing and wonderful holiday and it is fair to say that we both felt a bit low in our spirits upon coming home as we just want to be back there! I sometimes look at our photos and can't believe we were there now. I would go back in a flash. Although this was our first Maldives holiday and I suspect there are many more wonderful islands and resorts to try too!
However, we would go back.
I hope this review is of some help to some of you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Biscuits_in_love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Kuramathi Island Resort in Feb 2013, and I have to say that my first experience of the Maldives was a magical one due to the paradise that is Kuramathi.
The beaches and the sand surrounding the island is beautiful white sand. The water is very warm and shallow. The sandbank is Breathtaking!
We stayed in the Deluxe water villa with jacuzzi which was on the reef side of island was superb, very comfortable, the view and sunbeds were fantastic and, during my stay, I felt that we were situated at the best part of the island.

Food: We were booked on All inclusive basis. The allocated restaurants are very good and there was always a good mix of things. You don't get bored as they have different theme going on for every day of the week.
We tried all the restaurants once mostly for dinners. The food is excellent!

Spa: Spa was good! We opted for couples massage and bubbles bath which was accompanied by sparkling wine and exotic fruits.

Bars: Its nice that there is more than one bar to visit as each one has a different atmosphere, our favorite was the Dhoni bar which sells shisha -a must do, its great to chill, drink cocktails and while away the hours. The cocktail list is endless. The best hangout is sandbar which was both romantic and fun.
Overall, I would safely recommend this resort to anyone. It is not as expensive as some resorts, has better quality sea and sand and also all-inclusive (this was the major factor for us to chose Kuramathi).

nuneaton
Reviewed March 13, 2013

By Maldivian standards this is a big island! 1.8km long, it boasts 3 receptions, 3 buffet restaurants and at least 6 other restaurants and 8 or so bars. Movement around the island is either walking or wait for the minibus which comes along every 10 minutes or so. We had a water villa which was good as it was at the far end of the island in the less busy part but the balcony faced north so no sun!! You need to book the water villa with jacuzzi which are on the other side of the island if you want sun. Food in the other restaurants was very good but in all my visits to the Maldives it was the first time I have encountered a surly member of staff (he was consistent in his attitude over our whole visit).The island was a bit too big and crowded for my liking but we did enjoy the experience. Take the seaplane transfer, speaking to those who came b boat, it was not for those without sealegs!

2 Thank popesterNuneaton
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I came back from 10 days at Kurmathi on 1st March and I have to say that my first experience of the Maldives was a magical one due to the paradise that is Kuramathi. We had a water villa which was really nice and, during my stay, I felt that we were situated at the best part of the island. We opted for All Inclusive a la carte and it was totally worth it. The 6 restaurants were out of this world, my absolute favourite being Dunieye which to me was not only superb food wise but atmosphere and staff could not be surpassed. Truly wonderful. The standard of service was also excellent and, although the island was fully booked when we went, I have to say we didn't feel over crowded and indeed most days I had the beach to myself! The sandbank is truly beautiful. Sadly due to humans there is a lot of rubbish washed up on the beach but this is cleared away by Kuramathi gardeners ( I was shocked on two occasions to fidn them just dumping the rubbish back in the sea on the other side but I raised it with reception and didn't see it happen again). I am glad I picked Kuramathi for my first trip to the Maldives as it really came up to the mark. Not sure I can afford to go back but left with fantastic photos and memories.

Room Tip: The water villas are lovely but if you can afford it go for the deluxe WV with jacuzzi. They are bea...
1 Thank NMcD
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had been dreaming of the Maldives for a long time and Kuramathi didn't disappoint! the island was sooo beautiful, we opted for the select all-inclusive package and wow! the food was fantastic! our favourite restaurants were the island BBQ (try the parmesan and pesto crusted veal and steak Diane) and the Palm Pizzeria and gelataria (the pizza's and prosuitto entree were fabulous) we could not fault the restaurants at all, they were all fantastic. We loved the food at Dunye however the night we went was extremely humid and there was not enough fans but the food and service was impeccable. The reef sharks and eels did turn us off a little for swimming, although we were told they don't hurt, we saw just how fast they could swim! We enjoyed the pools each day as well. The bars were all great except they make your drinks so strong so we had to ask for half shots, my favourite cocktail was the little dingy. Hopefully we will return one day to beautiful Kuramathi, if you are looking for total relaxation and great food, dont go past Kuramathi!

Room Tip: we were in room 248 which was an overwater villa with jacuzzi, was quite central, the overwater vill...
london
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After lots of research, zeroed upon Kuramathi - Water Villa Full Board with Sea Plan transfer package.

Positives:
Extremely beautiful island and beach.
Water villa was posh and the sound of the waves with an excellent view of the sea creatures from the balcony was an experience.
Sea plane transfer was fast and the view of the islands from the plane was breathtaking.
Snorkelling was a wonderful experience and the reef was beautiful. I am a beginner and would very much recommend it.
Island was very well maintained.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

Negatives:
Since I chose full board, I didn't have the option of trying out different restaurants, instead need to stick to the only buffet restaurant where food was below expectations. But food being my last priority, I wouldn't complain much.

Room Tip: Water villa with sea plane transfer is a good option.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pramo
Kent
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This review is a little late but no less heartfelt, after just printing and ordering an album of our honeymoon photos I thought I should write our review finally.

My husband and I stayed at Kuramathi in a deluxe Jacuzzi beach villa from 4th June 2012 for 10 nights for our honeymoon and we are still talking about our amazing stay in paradise we would go back tomorrow if we could!
We stayed on the select all inclusive package which made our stay even more perfect. Dining out each night at one of the different restaurants the Island BBQ and the Thai were my favourite and for my husband the Island BBQ and the Italian, but we ate at all the restaurants and they each were outstanding.

After the stresses of the lead up to our big day arriving on the Kuramathi Island was excellent we had a wonderful balance of relaxation and entertainment.
All the staff were very friendly, helpful and chatty, no matter how many times we visited a restaurant they treated us like it was our first visit. We didn’t want to leave.
We did 3 nights in Dubai on our journey home and we both now wish we had stayed in paradise for the fortnight.
Initially we wanted a watervilla (which looked like perfection) but after spending very little time in our deluxe beach villa we are pleased we didn’t spend the extra money on a watervilla but upgrading our all-inclusive package.

Days lazing by the pool drinking cocktails or coffee or reading a book whilst my husband snorkelled (even swimming alongside a couple of baby sharks) memories neither of us are likely to forget.
Will we return? DEFINITELY within a heartbeat. We plan to make a return trip for one of our future wedding anniversaries, however if we win the lottery tomorrow we will be on the first flight out of the UK for a longer stay.
Did we get bored? no way there was so much to keep us busy on the island or on excursions out.
We would highly recommend paying the extra for the select all inclusive the food was amazing. We tried the local buffet restaurant allocated to our villa on a few occasions just to try breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food was very good.
However we just loved the idea of waking up when we felt ready taking a stroll to the Island coffee shop for brunch and coffee then entertaining ourselves before heading back to the villa to get ready to go out to dinner at one of the many restaurants. The fresh prawns, mussels and scallops were AMAZING and the steak Diane at the Island BBQ was FANTASTIC so much so on our last night (third visit) we just couldn’t be persuaded to try anything else.
We spent several evenings watch the stingray reading and sun setting at the top of the island, amazing views that a picture just not do any justice to.
Our room was cleaned twice a day and neither or just were bitten we always sprayed ourselves in insect repellent to be sure we were not bitten.
We wanted our honeymoon to be something we would never forget and Kuramathi Island gave us just that – heaven, paradise and just completely amazingly wonderful you all must go and visit…!
We do not dive but the fish we see snorkelling we amazing on their own it was like Finding Nemo live and the stories we heard from other guests about the dives sounds fabulous.
We had wonderful weather for our whole stay, on our last night there was a storm and we got to take some amazing scenery shots.

PARADISE sums up Kuramathi
Jealous already of all those visiting this year, enjoy you will not be disappointed 

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on the select all inclusive and stay in a beach villa.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KentPiglet79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!