We travelled to Kuramathi with BA direct WT+ from 27 Jan - 11 Feb 2013. Our flights with BA were very comfortable and we enjoyed the food, drinks and inflight entertainment. The WT+ was worth it for us as I have long legs and so struggle for long haul flights if I haven't got much room.
As many have already said, the seaplane lounge is a lovely place to relax for the short wait for your seaplane and the seaplane ride was a great experience to start the holiday! As we approached Kuramathi, I recognised it straight away after having already spend months pouring over their website and the Trip Advisor pages for any information that I could glean! I couldn't believe that we were almost there!
The island is absolutely wonderful. The grounds are all immaculate and very well tended to each day. The beaches are like holiday brochure paradise and all very spread out and empty so don't think that you will be battling for sun loungers or for a nice space by the sea, you will have most of the place to yourself! When we were there the island apparently had 600 guests on it, it did not feel like there were 60 at times. You never felt like there were many more people than the few that you saw about the day.
I am now going to try to focus on bits of information that I really wanted to know before we went away.
Accom - we stayed in the deluxe beach villas with jacuzzi. These villas were brilliant, clean, spacious and well located centrally on the island and on the beach. Some people don't seem to be fussed about the jacuzzi, however we used ours every day! There is nothing nicer after a scuba dive or hours snorkelling than to relax in a hot tub in the garden and enjoy a cheeky glass of vino! So we really enjoyed having the jacuzzi. The day bed was lovely for lounging on but we found that it was too hot during the main part of the day and we preferred to lie out on our beds on our terrace or the beds on the beach. We walked around all of the other accom during our stay and we thought that all of the villas looked good. there are none that I would advise to steer clear of, and whilst the garden villas are not directly on the beach, if you can walk a few metres without trouble, you really are not far enough for it to matter. The water villas looked lovely to us. They are a bit smaller than the ones with jacuzzis, but they don't deserve the bad press that they get from reviewers, they looked lovely! Of course the over water villas with jacuzzis look amazing and they do benefit from spectacular views. My only comment against them would be that our beach villas were considerably more private. We could walked around how we pleased to our outdoor shower and jacuzzi without any worry about being seen, whereas everyone snorkelling or passing on dive boats can see if you have your bikini on in your jacuzzi or not! Just a thought...
Food - we went a la carte inclusive and possibly saved one million pounds doing so! Slight exaggeration but we ate every evening for 2 weeks in one of the a la carte restaurants, with wine with dinner and often enjoyed either brunch or lunch at on of the cafés or restaurants rather than the main buffets. The buffet restaurants that you can be allocated to are fine, but we would not have enjoyed that choice or selection for 2 weeks. The omelette station for breakfast is good though! The Dunye restaurant had just opened and was spectacular - food and service, but is a struggle to get a reservation for! We found ourselves on a couple of occasions having to be at the reception desk at 0800 to book either there or the Reef as they get booked up within minutes. One down point I would say. All of the restaurants are brilliant and have great service and food so you cannot really go wrong. I think the Thai was a particular favourite for us and the other restaurants do amazing seafood and fish dishes so that you don't feel like you must go to the Reef for that.
Drinks - extensive cocktail and drinks list included in the a la carte inclusive. We did not feel the need to stray outside of all the drinks that were available to us. The wine lists are good and there's plenty of choice. Some people are worried about not being able to drink in your villas. You can take drinks from the bar to your villas no problem - no sneaking required! We often ordered a second bottle of wine with dinner and the staff think nothing of putting the cork in, leaving the screw top on or whatever if you say it is for taking back to your villa. So you can have a nice bottle chilling in your villa fridge or a red by your drinks area for enjoying the next day on your terrace or in your jacuzzi! We did not feel that we suffered only having soft drinks stocked up in the fridge, and in the heat, we needed them!
Weather - hot, sunny days every day. A nice breeze off the sea which is much needed! Not a drop of rain until a light shower on our last day! Absolutely fantastic!
Scuba diving - great dive team, very friendly and good fun! We enjoyed 6 dives including a night dive and they were all good, although a couple were with some cheeky currents!
Snorkelling - out of this world!!!!! I have never been somewhere were the snorkelling is as much fun as this. We saw sharks, rays, turtles, so many fish just on the reefs whilst snorkelling, it was really exciting each day! If you have never tried this before - do here! We tested out our waterproof camera with outstanding results!
WIldlife - lots of little creatures to keep you amused, geckos, fruit bats, herons, sharks etc. We did find that were were getting eated during the day and not just the night so we put some mozzie spray on during the day and evening. They were not big bites though like I have had with mozzies before and they didn't itch with that unrelenting irritation that some bites can for days. They were more of a 24 hour inconvenience and then left marks so that you did look a bit eaten at times in your bikini or strappy dress. I would just make sure that you use a spray that works for you, either Jungle Formula with diet or Repel 50! We had no problem with mozzies in our villa at all.
Staff - we found all of the staff to be friendly and polite. I think if you can say please and thank you, smile and have generally good manners yourself, then you will not have any problems.
Size of the island - we walked everywhere without the need for the bus and we did not struggle with any of the routes or distances, whether bare foot or in sandals etc. The bus looked to be quite regular and accessible, so if you cannot walk any distance or have small children, then you should find the buses convenient. We did manage to lose our bearings a few times which was a laugh! The island is subtly lit in the evenings so no need for torches, although some folk do seem to like pretending to be miners with head lamps??!! The evening walks are beautiful and the night sky is crammed with stars!
Spa - serene, professional and very enjoyable! I had a pedicure and we enjoyed a couples massage and both treatments were value for money and great. I liked that we got to enjoy our treatments without the hard sell of products or other treaments that we should try straight after, which we have experienced before and somewhat takes the shine off things. We just enjoyed our massage and were allowed to sit and relax watching the sea with a drink after before heading off. No pressures at all!
All in all we had an absolutely amazing and wonderful holiday and it is fair to say that we both felt a bit low in our spirits upon coming home as we just want to be back there! I sometimes look at our photos and can't believe we were there now. I would go back in a flash. Although this was our first Maldives holiday and I suspect there are many more wonderful islands and resorts to try too!
However, we would go back.
I hope this review is of some help to some of you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Measuring 1.8 km long, this idyllic resort in North Ari Atoll is dotted with lush flora and fauna, turquoise lagoons and tapers into a pristine sandbank. Catering to all budgets, the choices for villas are many, and ranges from the simple yet stylish Garden Villas to the ever popular honeymooners' favourite over water choice, Water Villa with Jacuzzi. Early 2016, Kuramathi is set to extend the options with new villa categories that will features villas over water, several with private pool and also two bedroom houses suitable for families or friends travelling together. Savour exquisite recipes from over 10 restaurants catering to diverse taste buds. Imbibe tropical concoctions in 6 bars conveniently placed around the island, and they have the added plus of regular evening entertainment. Leave your worries behind, and choose our great-value all inclusive packages to enjoy the best that Kuramathi has to offer. The Basic All Inclusive includes a wide range of premium beverages while the Select All Inclusive is ideal if you wish to have a taste of Kuramathi at its best where you wine and dine at any restaurant of your choice. Rejuvenate, revitalize and beautify at Kuramathi Spa, with its blend of diverse therapies using signature product line Voya, which comes from Ireland and is made from hard-harvested organic seaweed. Dive with eagle rays, friendly sharks and explore world class dive sites. Become a certified sailor at the only Royal Yachting Association certified water sports school in the Maldives. Bond with your family at Bageecha Kids Club and let the children indulge in fun yet educational programs. Learn more about the thriving organisms both in and out of water at the multi award winning Eco Centre. There is simply something for everyone on an island that is naturally Maldives - Kuramathi Island Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, TravelUp, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Kuramathi Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuramathi Island Hotel Kuramathi
- Village Hotel Kuramathi
- Kuramathi Village Hotel
- Kuramathi Cottage Spa
- Kuramathi Island Resort Maldives