Kuramathi Island Resort
$41
$49
$345
  • Breakfast included
Starry Night at Ukulhas(Ukulhas)(Great Value!)
$50
Holiday Heaven Ukulhas(Ukulhas)(Great Value!)
$55
$50
Velidhu Island Resort(Velidhoo Island)
$172
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
$315
$105
  • Beachfront
Gangehi Island Resort(Gangehi Island)
$138
$132
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
Bathala Island Resort(Bathala Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
VOI Maayafushi Resort(Maayafushi Island)
TripAdvisor
4,230 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssunset cruiseall inclusive packageour honeymoonkuoni repsea planedeluxe beach villawater villalagoon sidefishbuffet restaurantkuramathi islandsand bankallocated restaurantcoffee shopreef sharksmain reception
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Kuramathi being one of the bigger islands in Maldives, there is lot to explore and wander around... The sand bank is an amazing experience... right from the Kuramathi waiting lounge at Male International Airport, the sea plane transfers or the stay at the resort itself… we enjoyed each and every single moment… Also there are lot of activities and things to do here or if you want to just relax and get a tan, you can go to different spots on the island each time... spend evenings at any one of the bars...
The resort is a five star experience with friendly staff and excellent service... We stayed at the deluxe beach villa with jacuzzi which was awesome... although we think any room on this island would be worth it... We had taken the basic all inclusive option (is completely fine if you are her for less no. of days like 5 days 4 nights) and had got the Malaafaiy restaurant... We enjoyed the food and never got bored because every time the menu was different...
Outside the package, we tried the Indian restaurant Tandoor Mahal... the food was delicious here too... Also went for a couple spa and it was a wow experience getting a massage while you can hear nothing but the waves... The sting ray feeding is also something which is not to be missed... We also had a trip to the neighboring island and a sunset cruise although we only went for the cruise...
The weather was sunny during most of the days except for one evening when it rained for a short time and we even got to see a rainbow... Wish we could have stayed longer because it was simply out of the world experience...

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My girlfriend & I recently returned from a week at Kuramathi, and I honestly can't think of anything the resort could have done better. It was easily one of the best holidays I've ever had. Our room, a standard water villa on the lagoon side, wasn't as private as I would have liked, but the direct access to the water made up for it. In general, it's a perfect destination if your goals are to relax on a beach or next to a pool and occasionally dive or snorkel around the reef.

We were on the Basic All Inclusive package and mostly ate at the buffets, which were decent enough (certainly as good as a buffet possibly can be), and even as a vegetarian, I found plenty to eat.

Our room was in good shape with a comfortable bed and the twice daily cleaning was great considering how much sand can be inadvertently tracked in. I'm rating the "room service" as average because for some mystifying reason, the only way to get beer in the mini-bar is by ordering cans for takeaway from the bar and putting them there yourself. It was kept well stocked with water, though.

As for the island itself, it's astoundingly beautiful, very well maintained, and despite being fully booked when we were there, it never felt crowded. I read some reviews before we went that were complaining about mosquitoes, but the only times we were bitten by insects was at the pool next to the spa. Maybe January is just a good time to avoid mosquitoes, or they've stepped up their pest control measures recently, I don't know, but it didn't really warrant bringing more than a single bottle of repellent.

Some suggestions for anyone planning on booking:

- Make sure to have a seaplane transfer from the airport. The speedboat is an hour and a half of bumpy monotony.
- If you want privacy as you're lounging around your room and can afford it, steer clear of the water villas w/o jacuzzis as well as the lower-priced beach and garden villas on the lagoon side.
- If you book a package deal, your travel agent might try to convince you to buy access to the "premium lounge" in the Male airport. Don't bother, it really isn't worth it.
- At a minimum, book a "Basic All-Inclusive" package.

Room Tip: We stayed in a water villa on the lagoon side (one of the ones that don't have a jacuzzi) and it wasn't as private as one would like. I would suggest either going with either a water villa w/ jacuzzi, or stepping down a price level and staying in one of the deluxe beach bungalows with a jacuzzi.
5  Thank znxxo
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just back from Kuramathi and what can I say, its all the good things that people were saying, and more. We were looking forward to this being the holiday of a lifetime and it certainly lived up to all our expectations.
We certainly didnt get off to the best of starts, when I handed in our passports in Dubin airport, to be told that it was my sons passport and not mine that I handed in. With no chance now to make the flight, a very kind person from Emirates rebooked our flight from Paris that evening and in the end we arrived in Male at 3pm instead of 8.30am that morning. A few hours missed, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Getting to Kuramathi:
The Emirates flights from Paris to Dubai and then getting an upgrade from Dubai to Male, made the long trip very pleasant and the service on Emirates was excellent. Male airport to Seaplane lounge was quick and efficient and after just 40 mins in the lovely cool lounge, we were on our way to Kuramathi. Seaplane was an experience and loved the quick 20 minute journey. You do get dropped off on a platform far from the island and wait for a boat. The platform can be a bit wobbly, so if you dont have good sea-legs, take a tablet in advance.

Arrival in Kuramathi:
Meet and greet is very nice and easy going and before long we were being driven in a Golf buggy to our Water villa (with Jacuzzi). First impressions were exactly like the photos and we were just in time to watch the sun go down from our deck. I should say that based on feedback from this site, the first thing I did at the meet and greet is ask could I book a restaurant? There was only ONE choice available, the Palm Pizzeria and we booked that. (more later). Our Villa was fantastic, well layed out, beautiful view and of course spotless.

Kuramathi:
I dont have any other Maldive island to compare with, but Kuramathi was a piece of Heaven. It was big enough to have a choice of places to go and small enough that made all parts of the island easily accessed. It was extremely well kept, with staff constantly making sure the pathways were cleaned and everything looked pristine. Everytime you passed a member of staff , they went out of their way to greet you and made sure you wanted for nothing. The Lagoon side of the island has the most clear blue sea and was fantastic to swim in and just walk along the waters edge, where there were very few people. We were surprised that although we were told they had a full 500 people booked in, there were very few people to be seen as you walked around the island. The sand bank was the exception, as a trip there one morning and again at sunset, we saw loads of people enjoying the sand bank and taking photos. It does get pretty hot up there after awhile, so take water. The restaurants, food and staff were first class. We were only in Kuramathi for 5 days, and went to the Reef twice, BBQ twice and Palm once. We did also have lunch in the Island Tea shop. I wanted to write an honest review, so I have to now mention my one and only gripe with the Island. The booking of restaurants was a major let down for me on what was 5 start treatment all the way. They have a new restaurant called Duniye and we failed to get a timeslot in this restaurant during our 5 days. It was highly recommended to us and yet we couldnt manage to eat there. We only got the Reef because of a cancellation one night and were limited to eating on 3 nights at 9pm, instead of an earler time. You can go to reception at 8am to book a restaurant , up to 2 days in advance, but we found that the restaurants were either booked out or only a late timeslot of 9pm was only available. It is wrong to pay so much money for the holiday of a lifetime and not be able to eat in a restaurant of your choice, at a time of your choice. This is something that they are going to have to sort out. While we would normally eat late on holidays, we did find that the 9pm time was late on the island with staff anxious to close up by around 10.30pm.
We did try the snorkelling for our first time and it was unbelieveable. We went out through the channel near our villa and spend an hour swimming around and enjoying the most amazing views of the reef with all its exotic fish. It was a fantastic experience and luckily enough I had purchased a cheap underwater camera in Lidl, which allowed us to take some great photos. They do also sell disposable cameras in the shop on the island, and I believe they are only about $25. They also sell the water shoes in the shop that gives you the Snorkelling equipment and these are really worth purchasing, again $25.
Tipping was a question I had before going and there were varied responses about what was acceptable or not. I brought approx $100 and the reception were very happy to exchange my notes for $1 bills, so that I could decide what I wanted to give. I tipped our Dinner server, Villa person and also sometimes the barservers, who were always available to bring a cocktail to your seat, with a smile.

I cant finish without mention of Mozzies. I purchased spray with 100%deet, which I didnt use. I bought Jungle formula 50%deet, which I sprayed a little on feet , arms and neck, when going out at night. But my secret weapon, which a chemist friend recommended, was I took 2 Brewers Yeast tablets each morning, up to 2 days before I went. Being a natural Mozzie magnet, I was amazed to only get one bite in the 5 days and we did walk from end to end of the island, especially late at night through all that vegetation. I have to presume that the Tablets really did work.

In summary:
Kuramathi was a fantastic experience and I would strongly recommend it as a destination. From the time we arrived in the Maldives, to the time we left, the people of the Maldives were unbelievable and really do know how to treat tourists. I know I originally said that it was the holiday of a lifetime, but I now have the bug and have already started saving to repeat the experience sometime in the future. It really was a little piece of Heaven.

2  Thank ShepIreland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I returned to Kuramathi in November. Most enjoyable stay, could not fault the standard of food in the restaurants. All staff most friendly and helpful. The dive centre staff were very professional, helpful and conducted themselves in a most friendly manner.The accommodation was to a very high standard and kept in a spotless condition. This is a stress-free place.

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions carefully, there may be facilities which some travelers will have no use for or others which are not on offer for certain categories.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hecmacChesham
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Possibly the best holiday I have ever had, and I would love to return. I will one day if I get my own way !

An amazing island, and to walk out on the sand bar, words simply express the feelings.

The all inclusive is very good, and the food lovely and varied.

We stayed in a villa on land, as we have children, the location of ours was not ideal I would say, as we were a distance from the sea, and the beach area infront of our area of villas was very limited indeed, others were much better...but this really is my only negative comment.

Lots of great reviews..and well worth them.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family