“Paradise Island” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at Kuramathi for our honeymoon for 10 days in September after it was recommended by the Kuoni agent who had sent her daughter there on their honeymoon. We flew Emirates via Dubai (which had excellent service throughout) and arriving at Male was perfect. Ok there were queues getting through immigration but after that the service by Kuoni then the seaplane transfer were efficient and faultless. The transfer via plane is 20 minutes, much quicker and better views than the speedboat (which we got on the way back due to early transfer). We were greeted with cold towels & a drink then a quick welcome and taken to our rooms. We had a superior beach villa with jacuzzi, number 122. To be honest I probably wouldn't bother with the jacuzzi if we went again as it took a little getting used to and took a while heating up.
Now I know everyone says you must go select all inclusive but we opted for the basic all inclusive. You get allocated a restuarant dependant on where you're accomodation is, then have a table allocated to you. You get so much choice with the food and a different buffet is on every night. We had a free candlelight dinner as it was our honeymoon which was on the beach with waiter service. We also ate out at the Island Barbecue and Siam Gardens (thai) which was amazing. You get your drinks free and also 20% off the food so it didn't work out that expensive (about £30 for thai and £50 for barbecue for both of us - that's starters and main). You have to sign for everything, drinks/food/gifts even if you are all inclusive (the bill just shows as 0) then if you have bought anything you just pay when you check out.
Out of all the bars, Laguna was our favourite, it's at the top of the island and where they do the stingray feeding. It's a bit quieter than the Fung and Dhoni bar but very friendly and make sure you see the band 'Wood', they are really good.
I really loved Kuramathi and would recommend it to anyone. We got lucky with the weather, only a few showers late at night so not a problem, but it is a tropical island so you take a chance in monsoon season. Also mosquitos are a problem so take a good strong spray with you!
Things I would recommend doing:
Feeding of the stingrays - never seen anything like it!
Walk to the tip of the island at sunset - beautiful
Sunset cruise - watch the amazing colours in the sky with a glass of fizz
Film night on the beach - romantic

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappyTravellers05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We honeymooned here in mid Sept 2012 and it was jsut heavenly.
We arrived by seaplane which was lovely and smooth. The lounge in the airport was fab with its air con. Didnt have long to wait and off we went (Our pilot had no shoes on which i loved). We were dropped off basically in the middle of the ocean and waited for a boat to collect us.

We arrived at Kuramathi and were greeted with a smoothie and a cold facecloth and stunning views. Reception area was lovely and friendly. We arrived early and our room wasnt yet available. A buggy took us to the nearest bar where we had a drink and then lunch in the buffet restaurant. We booked a deluxe beach villa and were in room 346. Our bar was laguna bar.

The room was fab, spacious, lovely view from the decking and fairly private (apart from the german couple who decided to use our garden as their private area for 2 days). You can see neighbours but it wasn't a problem (i thought it would be).. Loved the outdoor shower. The roomboy comes twice a day (we only seen him once) and does a wonderful job.

We went Select AI and I was delighted with this. We are foodies. We used the buffet maybe 6 times in total (3 for breakfast, 2 for lunch and once for the maldivinan buffett) and we were kinda bored of it. Food was great but I'm not a carvery person at the best of times so it just wasn't for me. We tried all the restaurants apart from the indian and had no complaints with any of them. Our favourites were the Reef and the BBQ (Steak diane cooked by ibrahim = heaven). Also if you like spicy food try the papaya salad in the thai - so good.

We also tried all the bars. Laguna was our "local" and our favourite. We loved watching the beach crabs playing at night time. We also loved the cigar bar (only discovered it on the last night). Its an indoor bar so lovely and chilled and it has Karaoke. We were brought there by friends after a few drinks and it was empty so we had a ball acting the maggots. We went to the film night in sand bar and it was fun. Chilling out on beanbags with cocktails outside. Our rep told us all the films are pretty rubbish, (ours was The pink panther 2, didnt expect much but it was a bit of fun). We seen the resort band "The Wood". Hubbie is a drummer and he thought they were decent enough. I enjoyed them as well. SI includes chose of 64 cocktails (tried a lot and loved majority), beer (corona is extra) we drank san miguel and carlsberg, Spirits and wine. Not a bad choice.

We had the hot stone couples massage with herbal bath and it was out of this world. So relaxing. Definitely recommend it out on the pavilion. The sparkling wine and fruit was a nice touch in the bath.

The stingray feeding is definetly recommended to see as Is the Sandbank. Amazing walking through the woods and then seeing that view. We did the sunset cruise and it was quite nice as something different to do. We took a snorkelling lesson and this was a bit of a letdown. She had another couple on the class and as we were very nervous she carried on with them and said sorry to us but still charged us $70. Def waste of money. We got more from just braving it ourselves. There is lots of fruit bats around which was great fun at first.

The buggies and little buses were so handy and we used them a lot as it was too walk to walk the whole island. We were lucky with the weather the very last night it was torrential rain and supposedly it bucketed down for 3 days after.

There was two pools - the sports pool and infinity pool. We loved both but heard after that the mozzies love the sports pool. We found it odd too that the pool bar at the sports pool didn't serve alcoholic cocktails but did serve beer. We are not divers and are first time snorkelers. We didnt go to far but black tip sharps come right into the shallows which was great fun. Seen a few big jelly fish as well (not so fun) and lots of finding nemo fish. So you dont have to go far to see lots.

We got the speedboat back to male but we were too hungover and tired to notice anything. We slept most of the journey. We used the premier lounge in the airport thanks to Kuoni.

Two cons to the resort - The mosquitoes and the rats. Even with protection I got eaten alive by the mozzies and we seen 3 rats on the island but neither of these put us off enough.

All in all an excellent resort. Would have no hesitation in recommending the island and hope to return someday.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. I stressed a lot about if my room was in a good location etc. and I'd say i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cuthieruthie
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Upon arriving at Male airport early in the morning we were shown to the modern Kuramathi lounge and was on our way to the island in a sea plane within half an hour. Check in at the island took place with the same efficiency. We loved the privacy offered by our deluxe beach front villa. I can recommend number 351 since we had a lovely beach and enough shade.

I did plenty of research prior to selecting Kuramathi and this island was perfect for us. Since I am an early riser I could go for a walk around the island every morning at sunrise. The sand bank is exquisitely serene at sunrise. The gym is well equipped and I went for a 20 minute run every second morning.

We would go snorkeling at approximately eight o’clock every morning. The snorkel channels can be accessed even at low tide. You also have the option to snorkel at the jetty close to reception. The snorkeling is excellent at Kuramathi. I discovered a passion for snorkeling during this holiday. We saw eagle rays, eels, sharks, turtles and the most beautiful Maldive reef fishes imaginable. The fishes are often large and you can find big schools of fish which is a real treat.

Kuramathi is a very romantic holiday destination. The trees and gardens are beautiful and walking to your villa at night is really special. Sunsets at the sand bank are any photographer’s dream.

We booked the Select All Inclusive option and enjoyed fine dining at The Reef, Island BBQ and Siam Garden. The staff was always friendly and the food was fresh and delicious. We can recommend the Coco shrimps at Island coffee shop and the Madagascan prawns, steak Diane and scallops at Island BBQ. The Chinese Sweet and Sour Red snapper and Australian caramalised scallops at The Reef were divine. The yellow crab curry and papaya salad at Siam garden and the screw pine ice cream at The Palm were very enjoyable.

When it comes to entertainment we loved the disco night - the DJ was surprisingly good. We also enjoyed the three piece band and The Wood. Our favourite cocktail was the Maldivian Lady.

We went kayaking and it was a good opportunity to take some photos of the island. The sunset cruise is fun. We saw a manta ray and really enjoyed the sparkling wine and atmosphere on the boat.

Some practical tips: Remember to pack plenty of factor 50 water resistant sunscreen, a snorkel vest/second skin, a lip balm with sunscreen, a good quality snorkel mask (and defog drops), mosquito repellant, underwater camera, flat shoes only, at least 2 swimming costumes and a bit of laundry detergent and maybe some nice body butter. You will regret it if you arrive in jeans and a black T-shirt. Wear pants made from a light material and layer your clothing. We travelled with Quatar Airlines and our luggage was booked straight through from Johannesburg to Male so we did not need prescriptions for any medication in my first aid kit. Pack sundresses or sarongs for easy cover up. No need to pack a hair dryer since the hair dryer in the bathroom is adequate.

We visited two other smaller Maldivian islands (four star deluxe and five star rated) following our 7 night stay at Kuramathi. I can not imagine visiting the Maldives again without including a stay at Kuramathi. I loved every minute and could not wait to start each new day since Kuramathi kept suprising me!

Room Tip: The deluxe beach villas offer privacy. Villas 348, 349. 350 and 351 can be recommended. At the bot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank CuriousMeerkatjie
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

What can you say about this place apart from its amazing.

To watch all the wildlife right infront of your eyes is a dream.
Food and drinks great, service good, Island very well kept.

Points to watch.
Some of the beach villas do not have a beach infront of them, depending where you are, so if you have children who want to play in front, try to research and ask.

The island is fairly long, so if you want to be able to wander off and leave your little ones for a few mins, that wont be possible here, as it is too big......but not massive, we loved walking around the island, and due to its size it was rare to see anyone else !

You will eat and drink too much !
What else? go and see for yourself...
Would I go back, a big yes !

Oh a must is walks out onto the sand bar......go there you will see what I mean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Nikkisun B
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for ten nights during my honeymoon.

We were absolutely astounded at how perfect this place is. (I regularly travel a lot with work and can do up to 40+ flights a year and stay in various hotels right from 2* through to 5*)

We have a Beach villa for the first 4 nights, and then moved into a water villa for the remaining 6.

Both villas were outstandingly clean, (I dont even know how they manage it with all the sand!). The staff were extremely courteous and pleasant and willing to help no matter what.

I cannot think of anything to fault the place, like nothing whatsoever!! and trust me I can be really fussy about service levels and cleanliness!

The food - brilliant, the drinks excellent. the facilities were great.

I am a divemsater and regualrly dive throughout the world, the staff here were excellent and done a great job with my wife who had never dived before. Dive sites were excellent, if your thinking of doing the Hammerhea dive , don't think about it just do it. I only seen 2 hammerheads which were quite a bit deeper than us, however the water is beautiful when you drop in at dawn with all the phosphorescents (sp?). I also went and done 3-4 other dives and seen Manta's (awesome!) and loads and loads of reef sharks, and even had a great encounter witha large grey reef shark. There are squadrons of eagles rays regularly. If you ever want to dive this is the place to do it.

The sandbar at the top of island is a lovely walk in the evening. In fact anywhere on the island is great.

I searched and searched for the perefct mix of privacy and not being bored in the Maldives and this is what came out as the best. Its not the cheapest, but at the same time not the most expensive either. Right bang in the middle of the Budget range and worth every single penny we spent!

We rented a Kayak and went up to the sandbar, was a lovely view.
We also used the spa for a couples massage out over the water, it was excellent also. I did fall asleep though it was that good.

The stingray feeding is a must see, but get ther early to geta seat right at the front. There must be 20+ sting rays each nigth along with sharks getting fed.

I would recommend going select all inclusive (see below) and if your looking for the best tour operator check out tropical warehouse (part of bluebay travel) they were brilliant for us (see below!) .

My mate asked me what I though of Kuramathi and this is what I sent to him:

"The minimum is all inclusive, which means you eat at your designated buffet restaurant at mealtimes but all food and alcohol at all bars is included, you can use the other restaurants on the island, but you have to pay (and it’s not cheap!). The next option up is called SELECT all inclusive (sometimes they call it a la carte inclusive) your designated your buffet restaurant which you can eat at whenever you want, but you have the choice of 5 or 6 other restaurants on the island also, you just need to let them know in advance which one you wanna eat at that night.
The island is huge by maldivan standards, but it’s all the better for it. It’s not busy like you see lots of people all the time and can’t get around, it’s just perfect if you ask me. There is shed loads to do , diving is out this world, they have two pools on the island both which are excellent. They have canoes and windsurfing, plus you can do big game fishing if your into that, and wakeboarding waterskiing, etc.
They have a kids club for young ones and its all enclosed so they are safe and lots of other kiddies there, they have baby parrots and stuff in the nursery! Think you can drop kids off there for a good part of the day, just like normal nursery.
The service levels are the best I have ever came across, everyone could not be nicer. The place is absolutely spotless and all rooms and facilities are perfect – They have roughly 700 staff and only take 650 guests, so more than a 1:1 ratio!!!
If your gonna do a 7-10days trip I would defo recommend going SELECT all inclusive it’s well worth it and gives you loads of freedom. If less then a week then maybe the standard all inclusive would be ok.

The island is a Kuoni only resort, so you have to book through them. I tried going direct to them but it didn’t get any cheaper, in fact I had a better price going with a travel agent (and I detest travel agents!)
Check these guys out - http://tropicalwarehouse.co.uk/ this is who I booked with, when you call ask to speak to a guy David – he lived in Kuramathi for a year as a dive instructor. No nonsense guy, got us the best deal going and gave us sound and reliable information. "

Room Tip: Water villa's with jacuzzi are excellent and the decking gets sunshine most of the day as they a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Superjohng
Orpington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just returned from 11 wonderful days on Kuramathi during Sept/Oct. First things first, Kuramathi is without doubt one of the most idyllic tropical island locations I have ever been!

As ever with TripAdvisor, the key is to look for themes rather than individual comments; everything is subjective and contextual but one thing I would say is the comments in other reviews about service levels should be disregarded - some staff are happier/more enthusiastic/efficient than others of course but overall the service level is great and what you would expect of a quality resort.

The good:
Island: The island is just beautiful. It is superbly maintained and the staff are working on it constantly behind the scenes to keep it spotless. It is stunning.

Accommodation: we paid for a beach villa and were upgraded to a superior beach villa with jacuzzi! Excellent start! Of course not everyone will be that lucky but all the accommodation was modern looking and right on the beach or sea front. Our room (143) was spacious and modern. We had two day beds; one inside one out and a large entrance deck with private sun loungers. The bathroom had a big rain-head shower which is partially outside leading to a walled garden area where the jacuzzi was - although in truth we never got round to using it! I won't bother listing below in the 'the not quite as good's' but we did feel there was a slight lack of storage space - not a major issue.

Food and drink: the 'Select all-inclusive' is an absolute MUST for everyone. It was excellent. All restaurants, any snack or food, ice creams, deserts and milkshakes at any time during the day, a selection quality wine by the bottle for dinner, and best of all, almost every cocktail on a four page menu. The three buffet restaurants are varied and provide a huge and excellent choice for every meal but for dinner I recommend eating at the al a carte restaurants - they were great with a full menu of chef cooked food in everyone. TOP TIP: have the Steak Diane in the Island BBQ restaurant, it is cooked in front of you and was fantastic - had it three times in 11 days!!!

Bars: there are several bars (five I think?!) around the island. All table service and efficient. Most directly on the beach or over the sea - a superb way of rounding off the day with a cocktail. Sand Bar was our favourite: very chilled, low light and on big bean-bags on the sand. Über cool.

Facilities: not a lot to say, everything you would expect and more. There is an island shop for any essential you have forgotten to bring or for souvenirs; two or three dive centres, a water sports centre; gym and spa; and, a camera shop for developing photos or buying an underwater camera. I used the gym four times, it is excellent for a hotel facility; very large and well equipped. We also had two spa treatments which cost extra but they were excellent value and the couples massage was great fun.

Snorkelling: You are given snorkelling equipment as part of the package and you only need swim fifty foot out into the very shallow house-reef before you find yourself in an aquarium of stunning and varied tropical fish of every colour, shape and size - they are amazing. There are also turtles, dolphins and black-tipped reef sharks to spot as well. Simply amazing!

The not quite as good's:
Weather: we took a risk going in Sept/Oct as it is still part of the monsoon season. As much as international hotels like to control every element of their guest's experience their ability to influence the big man upstairs remains limited! I wouldn't go again at this time of year: the temperature is always hot but it rained a lot over the 11 days and with little else to do apart from relax on the beach it is not worth the risk. The rain brings cloudy skies and a slightly chilly wind and the sea starts to get choppy. Pick a time of year with guaranteed sun!!!

Island size: as beautiful as Kuramathi is, it is not the picture that i had in my mind of a Maldivian island - it is big! Nearly 2k long, it takes 40 mins to walk from bottom to top. The majority of accommodation is at the bottom of the island, as a result the reality is that despite the shuttle services running around the island, it is a hassle getting to the other end of the island. For example, the gym was about a 10-15 minute walk from our villa. Also, at night it is very poorly lit and signage is limited so you find yourself walking to restaurants at the top of the island like The Reef or The Palm in the dark and from the bottom of the island both are a 25/30 min walk. It is a popular island too, there are over 300 rooms so there were quite a few more people than we anticipated - although it wasn't overcrowded. It didn't feel quite as exclusive as we thought it would be - this might be a good thing if you are after a livelier destination of course...

Travelling to/from the island: get the seaplane there and back!!! we took it from Male to Kuramathi and it was a great experience and just a short flight. However, coming back we got the speed boat - a mistake! We had a late morning flight back to the UK (11.45) and because only one boat was going to Male that morning we were told to meet in reception at 5.45. We got to Male at 7.15 nearly 2 hours before we could even check in at 9.15! Following which we then had to wait until the flight at 11.45. The whole group were very annoyed by this - it put a dampener on the end of the holiday and added about another 4 hours onto our journey back to the UK!

Mozzi's: are everywhere!!! we got bitten daily and whilst there is no risk they are incredibly annoying... beware and bring mozzi spray (not that it made any difference!)

Room Tip: South of the island is the busier end of the island. The superior beach vilas with jacuzzi are new a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Screddie
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at Kuramathi for 9 days last November to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and had a wonderfully relaxing time. We stayed in a JWV, originally we were right at the bottom end which was a little shallow to get into the water/reef from the deck so we asked if they might have anything available at the top end and they moved us the next day when one became available. We had JWV 277 which was a couple from the end near the Palm restaurant, this was much better for entering the reef from the deck although the channel at this end could only be used at high tide and providing the water was not choppy. The channel in the middle had much easier access and you could easily swim to it by staying close to the villa decks. We saw lots of marine life from the deck including rays, sharks, dolphins, swordfish and flying fish.
The housekeeping was excellent, twice a day, lots of towel art and flowers on the bed every day. The restaurants were all good, I think the Palm was the best and the Reef a little over-rated. Being right in the middle of the island we regularly walked to and fro and never felt the need to use the minibus transport. It was much more fun to walk the sandy paths barefoot even in the darkness when it was never too dark to see. We were amazed how quiet the island seemed even though there were clearly a lot of guests, we could always find plenty of space by the pool or beach.
The weather was good to us and we only had one day of rain, the rest was a mixture of sun and cloud but always warm.
The seaplane transfers were fun and everything well organised.
The one disappointment we had was that the time went too quickly and we would have loved to stay much longer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteveNorman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!