“Holiday of a life time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kuramathi Island Resort

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
“Holiday of a life time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Words cannot express how wonderful this place is. The resort is pristine. The accommodation is beautifully situated. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Want to know anything, Amir is the person to ask. Anyone going to this island will be blown away by the beauty. Azure blue water with easy access to the reef for snorkeling. As an older couple we stayed at the Laguna end of the island where the sting rays are fed. It is quieter although the bus runs every 10mins and walking is also an option to the main reception area. We ate at other restaurants as well as the Reef but they did not come up to the Laguna standard. Chandan, the Sri Lankan chef is top class and every meal was of immense high standard. We chose the all inclusive which included drinks. I would certainy suggest this option as one does drink more especially water. The cocktail menu is extensive but don't have "the island" unless you like Campari. We had 7days of perfect weather. The snorkeling was terrific and chose a luxury beach bungalow on the side of the reef. The marine life is amazing. This resort is really well situated as it is only 15 mins from Male by sea plane. The Kuramathi representatives at the airport are very professional, taking care of our luggage and also showing us around Male if you have time to spare before your return flight home. A week is not enough time so we will definitely be returning to this little piece of paradise!

2 Thank Lazilizard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our 1st trip to the Maldives but hopefully our last.

Very few Aussies seem to go here as I think we believe its too pricey! Boy are we missing out.

The main thing for me was the quality of service! Nothing was too much trouble, the drinks refilled quickly and strongly and with a smile and gracious chit chat! I had pre arranged the serenade dinner before we arrived and kaamil our waiter was amazing! He arrived with perfect timing but also departed with perfect timing;) the Sri Lankan boys in the Fung bar chatted about World Cup cricket and other sports while not skipping a drink making beat!

Our room cleaner amazed us one day by bringing in our washing off the line and it was neatly folded on our bed!

I agree with some of the other reviews in regards to staying the lagoon side. Our over water villa with jacuzzi unfortunately was right on the reef and the the strong breeze we had for a few days we couldn't swim off our villa. We had to walk down to the beach entry for the snorkeling channel!

If I was to stay in one if those again request one next to the snorkel channels.

Next, the food! Omg I have put on 5 kgs in 7 days! We had select all inclusive and it's the only way to go. The palm was our fave and we ate there often. The steaks were amazing and perfectly cooked! We also loved the Indian. Such good flavors and not too hot spicey!

Would have loved the Australian channel on the tv as we missed the afl grand final BUT the Internet worked a treat and we listened to the radio feed of it;)

The island itself is beautiful. We also did the rashood island trip and its sobering to realize how much we have on our special island while they have so little. Next time we will bring the local kids some balls and school stuff! They are pretty poor!

We did the tubing and intro dive. Both great fun and by no means were we ever bored in our 7 days. I could easily have stayed another 7 days.

I have no other Maldives experience to compare it to but I loved kurmathi! I would return any day. I found it great value for money and the service amazing! I saw many rude guests in my time there and not one rude waiter or receptionist! The chefs at the palm came out to shake our hands when we said that was our last dinner there and when you treat people respectfully you get it back!

1 Thank tamster15
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Kuramathi on 28 August 2012 for eight days for our 25th wedding anniversary. What can I say apart from "heaven on earth". The Island is stunning. The beaches are amazing, personally I think we stayed at the better part of the Island up near The Reef Restaurant. The All Inclusive Al A Carte was fantastic so much choice. Cocktails fab too. All the staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. At first when booking my husband was worried that he would be bored but there is no chance of that so many activities including snorkelling, walking, many bars and restaurants to visit. The seaplane was great and such an experience. We would highly recommend Kuramathi Island to any age group, we are already planning on returning next year.

Room Tip: Deluxe Beach villa very nice have your own private beach and is quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Helen H
Rochford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here for a fortnight in September 2012. We booked it November 2011 in our local Thomas Cook, and we got it 2% cheaper than if we had booked directly with Kuoni! 2% isn't much, but it still covered the cost of the seaplane transfers!

Flights were with Emirates via Dubai (our choice, we don't trust BA given their frequent strike action) and we booked a seaplane transfer from Male to Kuramathi with a speedboat transfer for the return journey. The flights with Emirates were very civilised, plenty of leg room and excellent service as usual. We experienced no delays, and also enjoyed the private Kuramathi VIP lounge at the Male seaplane terminal.

Luggage allowance with Emirates is 30kg but the seaplane is only 20kg, and they charge US$4/kilo for overweight bags - the couple in front of us had to pay 46 EUR (they were Italian) in excess luggage fees before boarding the seaplane, so beware.

That said, we hardly needed a lot of clothes! You don't need any shoes whilst you are there, you can be barefoot the whole time if you wish - paths are all sand and easy to walk on. You do not need to dress for dinner, almost everyone was still in shorts/beach dresses etc.

The views really are akin to the Bounty advert from the 1980s and do not disappoint. The sunsets are amazing (but early, 6pm) and the sea is warm, clear and turquoise with white powdery sand.

For anyone who is concerned about the wildlife on the island, there are lizards & geckos, birds and fruit bats but spiders are not a problem. Mosquitos (not Malaria carriers) are present but use a 50% DEET spray and you will be fine. I used Jungle Formula roll on (Boots) and never got a single bite.

We opted for basic all inclusive, which included all meals in an allocated restaurant and all drinks, both alcoholic & non-alcoholic. The minibar in the villa is fully stocked with soft drinks and replenished daily.

We were allocated Haruge (pronounced Ha-Roo-Ga) restaurant and the service & food choice were fabulous. Each meal had a vast variety to appeal to all tastes; dinner for example each night offered salads, cold meats, cheeses, pasta, rice, various meats & fishes, a soup, breads, and a selection of desserts. Our waiter, Ahmed, was a cheery and friendly chap for whom nothing was too much trouble.

Each night was a different theme, and we never saw the same theme twice in the time we were there. Themes included Mediterranean, Chinese, American, Maldivian, European, Italian, Interntional, Far East, etc.

We ate once in the Palm Pizzeria and once at the Island BBQ - the latter was particularly delicious and I wholeheartedly recommend the Australian Steak, preferably with the red wine sauce - it was to die for! You do need to book, but we never experienced any problems, despite the island being 98% full according to Catherine, the Kuoni representative.

We tended to drink mainly in Fung Bar (by reception), simply because the service here was better. The bar staff are the one area that Kuramathi could improve - often we were waiting for a refill, but the wait times were smallest at Fung Bar. Cocktails are included in the basic A-I package and there are plenty to choose from, however they are strong so I often had to ask for mine with less alcohol! The beer is Carling or San Miguel or they have Fosters in cans - but there is no Ale.

We saw the Stingray feeding one evening and it was definitely an experience I would recommend!

Kuoni gave us a free visit to neighbouring Rasdhoo Island, it lasted two hours but to be honest 30 minutes would have been plenty. It's worth doing to say you've seen it but it definitely shows how poor the Maldivian standard of living is. The tourist shops selling souvenirs are OK but not great.

We also had an included sunset cruise which I would highly recommend - the views were fabulous and we saw plenty of sharks & rays, although no dolphins. It also included a glass of sparkling white wine.

We enjoyed snorkelling, but did not participate in the other watersports eg banana boat, windsurfing etc. I would recommend you wear a t-shirt whilst snorkelling as the sun is VERY strong. If you are blonde/ginger/fair skinned then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take at least factor 40 or you will spend days in your room trying to ease the sunburn.

Some people did have children with them which disappointed us slightly, we thought the location would mean it was pretty much child-free, and to be honest it's not really a resort for children.

I would recommend a villa on the lagoon side of the island if possible (the 'top' side if you look at it on the map on the website) as the beach is much better on this side - no rocks etc. The snorkelling is on the other side but in pre-defined channels so as to protect the coral. That said it isn't exactly far from one side to the other!

There is a minibus service that takes you around the island if you can't be bothered to walk, it runs every 15 mins and there are 'bus stops' at certain points on the paths.

You are provided with bathroom towels (white) and separate beach towels (blue) and then there are towels for the pools (green) at the pools themselves.

There are a couple of shops on the island, one sells sun cream (US$25 for a small bottle) and shampoo (US$8) for example, as well as a few souvenirs which were actually reasonably priced.

Wednesday & Saturday nights are movie night - weather permitting a large screen is set up near Fung Bar & you can sip cocktails under the stars whilst watching a film. Even if you don't like the film (a card in reception tells you what's on that night) then do go for the experience.

We didn't use the spa, I thought it was very expensive for what was on offer.

The island has a capacity of c.600 guests and has 700 staff on hand, but you rarely see other people and you would never know there were that many people there.

I can safely say it was an amazing holiday and I have no qualms about recommending it to anyone who is considering it. I will add pictures later if possible - sadly I dropped my camera in the sea on the last day! If you are considering Kuramathi, do go - it's well worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room on the lagoon side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LondonLover99
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Two wonderful weeks in jacuzzi water villa with amazing food and Attentive service. Snorkelling with sharks and the ever present trigger fish will be lasting memories too. watched jumping dolphins from our deck was also a highlight.

Select all inclusive was good value with fabulous choice of restaurants and food to suit everyone with tenderloin at the Reef a must do!

Wine with meals by the bottle which could be taken back to room if unfinished.

Spa treatments were great and plenty of choice

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent 7 nights on paradise! The scenery was beautiful and the island immaculately maintained. We were worried that staying on one island for a week we would get fed up but the time flew by and we could easily have stayed another month! Lots of water based activities including snorkelling available. We upgraded to the select all inclusive food package - which was great def worth the extra £. A choice of good food venues and ice-cream to die for!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel F
Sidcup,Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed for 14 nights on select all. For the seaplane you are only allowed 25kg including the weight of any small bag, anything over that is charged at $4 per kg plus $6 dollars tax. On arrival at MALE due to a storm the seaplane transfer was cancelled and we were booked into a different island which was very close to MALE. We went by speed boat for what was a seriously horrendous and frightened journey due to the severe storm. We stayed one night then had to travel back to MALE to catch our plane the next day. When we arrived in Kuramathi we stayed in a beach villa, a pleasant accommodation but not outstanding! However we were really glad we did not book the garden villas as we thought they looked horrible, they are terraced with a corrigated roof, totally different from all the other property available on the island. When we were here most of the island appeared to be on basic all inclusive as the buffet restaurant was really full of an evening dispite this, on booking the a la carte restaurants we sometimes did not get the restaurant of our choice which was disappointing. However the restaurants here were lovely. Our favourite was the island Barbeque followed by the Indian then the Thai then the Palm. Our least favourite was the Reef, where we had to send our main course back. The fish was dreadful, we asked for an explaination from the chef and he said that he must of microwave the fish too long, which he said he had to do as the fish was frozen. We were shocked by his honesty. The fish here is meant to be fresh.... like is states on the menu, but like someone else who did a review recenty realised the fish here is not always fresh. And at $40 it should be, we complained to the management and they said they would talk to the chef. We NEVER eat here again which is a shame as the food in the other restaurants were outstanding. On 'select all' if you want to take a bottle of wine back to you room all you have to do is ...in fact we found that on finishing one bottle we were immediately offered another and when we said we did not want another as we would not be able to finish another bottle the waiter said thats okay... order another bottle and take it to your room. If you are basic all inclusive though they do NOT like you taking wine form the buffet restaurant as there are notices everywhere stating no food or drink to be taken away from the buffet restaurants. When we were here also the ladies seemed dress extremely well in the evening. High heels and wedges were being worn by most ladies in the a la carte restaurants so if you are someone who like to dress up for dinner then pack your nice dresses and shoes as you will not feel out of place. On reading the travel forum for this island people gave advise that to pack your case then take half out again as no one really dresses up here, I found this to be untrue and really missed the fact that on this advice I never packed a dressy pair of shoes. Thank goodness i pack some nice dresses though as i got to wear them all. The snorkelling here is fantastic and you will be joined by a shark or two every time you go into the water. I found the sharks a little scary but after two weeks felt fine to be in the water with them. Mozzies here are a real problem and dispite using lots of spray I still get eaten alive. My last comment would be about the staff. We went to sri lanka last year and hated it and found the staff at the hotel very unfriendly and were worried that we would experience the same in the Maldives, well the staff here were outstanding.....nothing was to much trouble.... we tipped constantly due to outstanding service and on the last night we made sure we found in particular 4 staff who were amazing with their treatment of us and it was such a pleasure to thank them and leave a final tip to show our appreciation. We really enjoyed our time here and if it was not for the bad meal in the reef we would have gave the Kurmathi a 5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
6 Thank stuanddawn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
4.5 of 5 stars 708 reviews

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!