“Excellent Honeymoon - Recommended”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I went here for my honeymoon, I always knew I wanted to go to the Maldives but not sure where, after much deliberation I picked Kuramathi on recommendation from the Kuoni rep, I was not dissapointed, it was a lovely 10 day stay and a perfect honeymoon destination. I did make a massive error though, we used Kuoni as the wedding list, and being mad busy with wedding plans, when all the paper work came through I didn't check them, just presuming all the information was correct, after all you are paying for a high premium agent..We reached the resort and in the meeting with our rep Emma, I realised I had discussed and arranged to pay for the al la carte all inclusive not the normal one, although the paper work didn't say this, when I mentioned this to Emma, I was advised the rep had left Kuoni and they couldn't trace anything, I would have to deal with it when we went back to the UK, she wasn't massively bothered at all. The reason I opted for al la carte is I'm vegetarian and strongly recommend anyone thinking of going to upgrade to this package, as i really struggled with the food. I did speak to the chef and he was very sweet but still on two evenings all I could eat were potato wedges. On four occasions we paid and went to the al la carte restaurants, well worth it, the Palm and Thai were fantastic.

We paid for a deluxe beach bungalow which was great, I loved the outside shower. I also had a balinese massage at the spa which is one of best massages I've ever had. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us. We were also based at the north of the island where they feed the stingrays and this was a great sun set point, and near to the walk where you reach the point of the island, this is the quietest part of the island. The outside cinema is also a nice experience.

When we got back I went to Kuoni to try to resolve the difference in packages, and the fact I paid for something we didn't get, despite the email trail I had printed off to prove it, they fobbed me off, I had to chase them several times, the after care service was terrible. They said I should of checked the paper work properly and accepted no responsibility and the rep had left so no one could back up what I said even though I had email evidence...My recommendations is go to this resort as it really was amazing but pick a better agent to travel with, I would never travel through them again. Another thing I did was I got a quote from Dial a Flight before booking with Kuoni and got them to match it, I saved 600 this way, some compensation thinking back now!!! I recommend anyone to do the same!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chapelapple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,017)

Reviewed July 23, 2012

went with friends to celebrate their 20th wedding and had a fantastic time, food and staff were brilliant, room was lovely, right on the beach, bars were good, pools were both nice, lots to see when you wonder around the island, movie night on the beach was quality, lots of entertainment if you wanted it, or a nice quite bar instead, snorkelling near the jetty was quality, it was our friends first trip to the maldives ( our 6th ) and thet couldn't believe how relaxed it was.
would return, had a great time

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geezersl
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We've just returned from a 10 night stay in Kuramathi for our Honeymoon. We really thought that the resort was great - service was excellent, rooms really nice and the setting is amazing.

We arrived at the resort by seaplane which was really easy and convenient (during the welcome meeting some of the people who went by speedboat mentioned that their transfer was a bit rough). We got a speedboat transfer back to the airport and it was fine (however, the weather had improved and the sea was calm).

We stayed for 7 nights in a beach villa - which are mainly located towards the bottom of the island near (but not next to) the majority of the restaurants and 3 nights in a beach villa with jacuzzi. The beach villa with jacuzzi are located in a similar area on the island but on the 'reef' rather than 'lagoon' side. During our stay there was quite a breeze onto the lagoon side so we spent most of our time sunbathing on the 'reef' side. Most of the room types are in the centre of the island however, the deluxe beach villas and the water villas are located towards the top of the island which for us would be a bit too far away from most of the facilities on the island (but there's still a restaurant, reception and bar nearby). We upgraded rooms while we were on the island, it was really easy and the price comparable to upgrading beforehand.

We opted for the select all inclusive option - which suited us as we like eating out and aren't big fans of buffet restaurants. We ate at all the a la carte restaurants and liked them all (my favourite was the reef and my wife's the Indian restaurant) - service in all restaurants and bar's was really good; even in the bars later at night where in some other all-inclusive resorts there can be a bit of a wait to be served.

The only things which I think could have been better were:

1) the quality of the coffee (it seemed to be instant everywhere) and there wasn't any decaf available.

2) the transfer back to Male was too early - I think island just did one transfer by boat in the morning which meant we were two hours too early to check in. In retrospect we'd probably get the seaplane for both transfers.

They are just minor things though.

The island is among the larger in the Maldives and we chose it because it had several restaurants and bars.

Overall this was a great honeymoon for us and we'd recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Use the map on the Kuramathi website to check the room type you opt for is in the location you prefe...
2  Thank KieranW1985
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Well....just back from our honeymoon which was an extended vacation including 4 days in Dubai, AWESOME, and just shy of two weeks in the Maldives at the Kuramathi Island Resort.

My wife tells me I am a nightmare when booking our trips as I spend weeks and months researching where we are going and where I can get the best deal. This was my only responsibility - asides from saying "I Do" - for the wedding so I took a friends advice and spoke to Kevin at Holidays Please. Kevin was very patient and understanding and listened to what I wanted and advised me based on my requirements and budget. Only gripe I have is....remember these guys are sales people and some times sales people tell you what you want to hear. Kevin did put a note on our bookings that we were on holidays and we received an beautiful upgrade in Dubai and plenty of free Champagne on our flight from Glasgow to Dubai.

So, as for the Maldives. We chose the Water Jacuzzi Villa on the Select All Inclusive package which allows you to eat in all restaurants including the buffets. Now, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE EVERYTHING - so don't believe people when they tell you that! If you are a beer fan, you can choose from Carlsberg and Fosters, Corona is charged out at $7 per bottle. Lobster not included, some whiskeys not included, some wines not included. Check the menu when ordering, it will let you know what you MAY need to pay for.

This was definitely the package to go on, includes snorkelling equipment free and you will want to use that. I read many reviews about Kuramathi before going and there are some that great and honest and some that......well let's say if these people had paid just a little more they would have had very positive things to say!

The island is a good size if you like to take a stroll. For those who don't there is the buggy stops where buggies and guest service vans come past every 15 mins. The staff are excellent and the service is fantastic. Food on the Select All Inclusive deal is outstanding and we can't speak highly enough of the restaurants - especially the pizzeria, Thai restaurant and the Indian.

The room - water jacuzzi villa - out of this world. Spacious, romantic, views to die for and plenty of opportunity to watch fish, sharks, rays and many more aquatic life. Watch out at nights for the huge Fruit Bats that fly about! 8l00dy scary when they fly straight at you for the first time! They jacuzzi in the villa is awesome, and you can ask to have the water changed as often as you like. You will want to do this as you are in it so often, you want fresh water. Beware of some frisky neighbours......jacuzzi's don't cover all of the noises....if that makes sense!

This is a fantastic resort if a quiet, island experience is what you are looking for! We spent 2 weeks in Mexico last year which was by far the best holiday that we have ever had. The Maldives had a huge amount to live up to and in its own way it was fantastic, but in many ways it didn't come close.

We are glad that we took this trip as now we can say that we have been to Dubai and the Maldives. I don't know of I would go back.....if I did, it wouldn't be for a few years anyways.

On a side note, you MAY be advised that your flight carrier could give you free upgrades if you get there early enough and let them know you are on your honeymoon. Take my advise, not good advice. We had 4 flights to get to our destinations and back, all with Emirates. We did get an upgrade from Dubai to Male, upto Business Class from coach. And this was the only flight we didn't ask about an upgrade. We were very fortunate that two fantastic members of the cabin crew on our flight from Glasgow to Dubai were kind enough to look after us like royalty on that flight and called ahead to upgrade us on our next flight! If you want an upgrade and don't want to/can't afford to pay for it, don't ask at the desk in the airport - speak very nicely to one of the cabin crew......they MIGHT be able to help!

Hope this helps some of you. This is the first review I have written and hopefully will be worth while and will assist aleast one person in making their decision.

Room Tip: GO FOR THE SELECT ALL INCLUSIVE - worth the extra even if you don't think it is!
10  Thank PilotDave84
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at Kuramathi for our Honeymoon this july, and i can say it was fantastic even over our expectations. The landscape, the beaches and all the island environment is amazing. We really didn't expect such a good deal from the staff at every moment. Is forced to try to enjoy the marine life snorkeling and may be diving, one of the most beautiful things ever. Don't panic from sharks, is really beautiful to meet them snorkeling, just watch and enjoy. I think the Select All inclusive is essential in order to enjoy the whole island visiting the different bars and restaurants around without minding about prices, and is easy to amortize. Island Barbecue the best place to dinner for us, and Sand Bar to drink something after. We stayed in superior beach villa with jacuzzi that i guess is one of the best choices, very well placed close to the main reception. The room inside lovely and really spacious, mainly the maldivian shower and the terrace at the entrance. I know is very tricky trying to choose an island and resort from all the possibilities in maldives, and after having stayed at Kuramathi, it would be even more difficult trying to choose another resort different from this one.

Room Tip: Superior beach villa with jacuzzi
5  Thank MartiMR
Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for our 25th wedding anniversary and it was amazing, stayed in deluxe beach bungalow which was a stones throw from the sea, beautiful island, food, service, staff could not be faulted. Highlight for me was watching the stingrays being fed...amazing...would recommend to anyone looking for a special holiday..

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank icmelerlover
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We travelled to Kuramathi for our Honeymoon last September. We went A la carte all inclusive which was amazing, the food and service coulnt be faulted. We stayed in a deluxe beach villa next to the sandbar which was a lovely quiet location, probably the best of all the accomodation types. We also upgraded to deluxe water villa with jacuzzi oncevwe arrived whichnwas cheaper than upgrading through Kuoni. The place is beautiful and was everything we imagined for the 1st week.

However we experienced heavy monsoons for the whole of the second week which really put a dampner on it!! We were told that we'd been very unlucky with the weather, as normally in monsoon season it rains for a few hours at a time...not consistently for 2weeks. There's not really a whole lot to do in the pouring rain except make the most of the food and drink!

I was involved in an accident on the 3rd last day. Walking back to our villa umbrellas in hand after a lovely meal the storm took a turn for the worse! Hardly able to see with the howling wind and rain we heard a sudden loud crack and I suddenly fell to the ground in pain not knowing what had happened as it all happened so fast. I then realised the branch of a giant palm tree branch had broken off in the wind and hit me on the leg. Not able to stand my husband had to run for help leaving me lying on the sandy path in the torrential rain! Eventually he found help and not long after the island doctor came. Suspecting it being broken she took me to the doctor surgery on a golf buggy, bandaged my leg, gave me painkillers and sent us back to the room.

There's no way off the island after dark, even in a severe emergency!! Pretty scary to think what would have happened if it was something life threatening. We had to wait till morning and I got wheelchaired to the ferry, we then got a ferry to Male where I had an X-ray. The hospital there is very 3rd world and quite scary!!! In the end my eg wasn't broken, just severe tissue damage. Nearly 1year later I still have an obvious dent in my leg!

We never did get to try out the jacuzzi in our beautiful upgraded water villa!!

Piece of advice....avoid monsoon season if you can. It's cheaper for a reason. If you've already booked if for that time of year, don't worry I doubt you'll be as unlucky as we were!!

We would like to go back but would save the extra cash to go at the best time if year.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank clairebear2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
19 mi away
#1 of 1 in Ellaidhoo Island
Constance Halaveli
Constance Halaveli
#1 of 1 in Halaveli Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!