“Exceeded expectations”

Dubai, UAE
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

What to say?!

Stayed for 4nights first week of July in standard garden villa on Basic All Inclusive.

Everything exceeded our expectations, except the food which was provided in the buffets on the basic all inclusive. It was by no means bad, just average, especially considering the wide variety of other restaurants on the island. Next time we would definitely pay the bit more for the Select All Inclusive.

Everything else aside from the food was exceptional. Had to visit their medical centre (stomach problems) and was charged a reasonable $30 for a consultation and when problem wasn't resolved and I went back a second time they didn't charge for the second consultation. We originally only booked for 3nights but upon request to stay another night there was no problem and the staff were again extremely obliging.

Their most basic room which we stayed in was more than enough, although not a 'beach villa' it was literally a stones throw away and we loved the outdoor shower!

Thus far have never returned to the same hotel twice - this will be the first one and ASAP!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This island is by far the best holiday we had. The rooms are fantastic. we stayed in a beach villa with a jacuzzi it was amazing. We were on the basic all inclusive and was honsetly thing about changing havin read the reviews on here but we were glad we dindt we ate in the same rest for all our meals and honestly nothing was repeated. We styed for one week on our honeymoon and stayed the second in Dubai I taught we would be too board staying here for two weeks but we were far from it, we were sorry we didnt just stay the two here. the staff are amazing and will do all they can to help. The only disadvantage is you cant take your drinks back to the villa with you which is a pity cause it would have been nice to sit in the jacuzzi with a glass of wine some evenings. Def recommend this and were savin already to return ( possibly 10 yr annivesary)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our honeymoon on the island was for 8 days and we stayed in a Jacuzzi Water Villa.

From the moment we were met at the airport to the moment we were dropped back to the airport our whole experience was brilliant.

We had the Select All-Inclusive food & drinks package which is well worth the extra money for the variety of food you can eat on the Island. Our favourite restaurant was The Palm Pizzeria. Their menu is fantastic and their gellato is amazing.

I'd say all of the 7 restaurants are of good quality and we both enjoyed every meal we had. We had the option of eating at the buffet restaurant if we chose to, but with the other choices we had available to us, we didn't feel the need to!

The dhoni bar was our local hangout and it didn't ever seem to close. The cocktails were great and the waiters were always very friendly.

The afternoon tea was also great.

The spa treatments are VERY relaxing and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Snorkelling on the island is a must, we did it daily. The sheer array of fishes you can see whilst swimming is breathtaking.

I can't say enough about how many boxes this island ticks.

Must do's:

- Stingray feeding
- Snorkelling
- Eat at The Palm
- Watch a movie on the beach
- Visit the Spa

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Water Villa's are AMAZING
5 Thank Bunt83
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from an amazing honeymoon on Kuramathi Island. I couldn't fault it at all. It was perfect!

Make sure you do the 'select all' inclusive package. This allows you to eat at any of the five excellent restaurants. The food is sublime; much better than we were expecting. It also means that booze, including cocktails are included in the price.

The staff are so friendly and attentive. The whole place seems to run so smoothly and without any stress. Learn a few Maldivian words; they really appreciate the effort, even if it is just hello and thank you.

The snorkelling is excellent. The house reef is amazing. We did some snorkelling safaris which were great too. The is a resident marine biologist that points stuff out to you.

The accommodation is very comfortable. We did a week in a deluxe beach villa and a week in a jacuzzi water villa. It was really nice changing after a week. Both were luxurious, but the latter was more so.

We were worried about the weather before we went out (end of June/beginning of July), but it was lovely. We did have a bit of rain, but never for too long, and usually in the evenings. Sometimes there was a bit of cloud cover in the afternoons, but usually is was a welcome break from the scorching sun. It remained hot always, and the sun could still burn through the clouds.

The gardens are immaculate, gorgeous beaches including a sandy spit at the top of the island. Amazing massages at the spa. I could go on and on. WE LOVED IT.

Room Tip: Top of the island is quieter.
2 Thank Charlie W
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Positive about Kuramathi Island Resort :
Arrived at Male Airport, pass on to counter 5 and the guide will take you to the bus and 5 min bus drive to kuramathi lounge ( 4* star lounge - all free and excellent view) where Seaplane departs.
Seaplane 35 min drive to the port near to Kuramathi and then 15 min boat ride to main kuramathi Island.

Important Note : Always take Seaplane as you would experience ride to seaplane + boat.

At reception - Warm welcome with drinks and introduction by lady Kate about the island and activities (like - bar, snorkelling, water ski, sunset cruise, etc)

Wifi is paid 4 $ per hour, internet speed is average. Don't buy full 8 hours internet package if in case you are not for business..

I will add Packing list in the end of the review dont miss that..

All the rooms are right on the beach ( hardly 15 steps from the room). Room cleaning service is twice a day..Superior Beach villa with Jacuzzi is awesome..Bath + Wash room are open roof :)

If you prefer Non alcholic drinks then do not take All inclusive package; Full board or half board meal is Ok.

Vegetarians has to survive with breads, Fruits, salads, beans and potato wedges. There is Indian Resturant " Tandoor Mahal " excellent food, must try that !

There is Van and buggy for guest service roaming around the island. Catch it whenever you see it. There are designated buggy stops.

Dont miss to go to the last end of the island white sand with two shores meets ! Beautiful view.

Negative about Kuramathi - Food. for Full board or half board plan you will be confined to ONE SINGLE resturant, although kuramathi has 9 resturants. In case you wish to go other resturants you have to pay there even if your package is full board.

My recommendation to hotel : For full board options you must give 1-2 Ala - carta / other resturants option to eat with in the same package..

Packing list :
1) Buy your own Snorkelling set, Rental snorkelling set from kuramathi is too expensive.
2) Water shoes.
3) Plenty of water bottles and juices. As in full board meal plan water is charges 2$ per bottle. Only 3 complementary water bottle provided in room.
4) Two swim suites per person.
5) Toothpaste. As they dont provide any.
6) umbrella is available in the room so no need for this.
7) Snacks, chips, buscuits, chocolates etc as every thing is heavely priced in maldives.
8) All credit cards excepted, So no need to worry for carrying cash. to be on safer side i kept 1000$ for 7 days trip. Only 40 $ i could spend on airport, rest i paid through credit card.
9) Take your water bottle either from your room or from your stock when you go for lunch & dinner.
10) Power plug in the room is standard british 220 VAC plug.
11) Water camera
12) Extra batteries
13) Sand toys for kids, There is a kid club " bageecha " at kuramathi Island resort.
14) Pen drive ( USB drive) loaded with your favourite music. You can connect this pen drive in the room IPOD station. Or you can carry Music CDs..

Check attach pics : Kids club, white sand (end of the island), rooms etc.

Room Tip: Superior Beach Villa with Jacuzzi - Room no. 122
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KHERA805
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Our honeymoon was July 2011 and we stayed in a jacuzzi beach villa for 8 days via Sri Lanka through kuoni. We only had to wait 30 mins at male for our sea plane to the island. Its well worth that little extra money as the scenery is breathtaking and you get more of an idea where you are.
Our room was incredible. Over the sea with rainfall shower, decking and jacuzzi. Tea, coffee and soft drinks updated daily as with the room if you wanted it cleaned. Tv and sterio with a few good channels for when your off to sleep or getting changed.
We chose the select all inclusive option which is well worth doing. We met a lovely couple who were on the basic and they couldn't use the ice cream and gelato bar which is fantastic. In fact we found every restaurant lovely. If you like your hot food you have to try the spicy chicken soup at the Thai, steak at the BBQ is great and lovely Italian food. Didn't have any problems booking either. Breakfast buffet was pretty good too.
Throughout our stay we found all the staff very friendly and helpful. We loved mahinda. He was always there to help us and greeted us with a big smile everyday. And the lady at the Thai was lovely too.
There is a good choice of bars to go and each has a different thing happening. The band there were incredible singing chilled songs while we relaxed with cocktail and shisha on the go!! One of the bars serves afternoon tea but don't eat the green stuff. It's not pistachio cake!!
It's our first time to the Maldives but although its one of the larger islands it still felt small enough for that secluded feeling.
Because of its size there's a nature trail, marine center and activities so I never felt bored.
There were a few things that happened that could have tainted my opinion of this hotel.
When you get to the island you have a talk with your rep who tells you tide times and not to walk on the coral or take anything out of the sea. But with two nights to go a couple with kids moved in next door who decided to invite there friends with their kids over. They screamed, shouted, stared at us. Walked all over coral in low tide and started pulling and chucking stuff out of the sea. Honeymoon feeling drastically leaving I phoned reception who agreed to sort out the problem and move us which was great but jacuzzi was unusable for the last two days as a thick layer of bronzer from the last people was left and the room also a bit dirty.
myself and my wife were also stung from head to toe by Portuguese men of war jellies on our first snorkel from our decking.
To be fair there was a storm out at sea the previous night and the jellies were a freak occurrence apparently. Although my wife was stung again round the neck again on the snorkel safari the next day!! When you get stung you have to run to reception in pain to get some vinegar. Maybe a good idea to have some in the rooms?
Sri lanka airline flights were awfull. I had broken tv screen. Broken tray to put my food in so things sloped off onto me and it took me three hours to get a headset. I asked three times and my wife twice!!
As I said before this does not represent the hotel and this was a honeymoon we will remember for all the right reasons.
There's not many places I'd like to revisit in this world but this is definitely one

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank leefromdanbury
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We chose Kuramathi for our 25th wedding anniversary. On reading all the reviews we could not of imagined how truly beautiful this island is. We went with Kuoni but booked through Blue Bay, we received the VIP lounge at Gatwick complimentary and this was a lovely start to our holiday. Our BA flight direct to Male was not fully booked and we had three seats for the 9 hour flight. We took the sea plane for a speedy arrival. We stayed in a Deluxe Beach villa with jacuzzi all inclusive package We had looked into upgrading to the select all inclusive but on checking out the menus on the hotel web site (available to download) of each restaurant we decided we would only use the Island BBQ and the Pizzaria restaurants. Each of these restaurants did not disappoint we had fantastic meals in both and our bills included discounts. We discovered that you could book the restaurants up to two days before and we did not have any problem getting a reservation. We were in the haruge restaurant and we found the food available to be of an excellent standard. I am not a very adventurous eater and I have had tummy problems in the past on holidays abroad, I tend to like very plain food however I had no problem choosing my meals and even tried some very different flavours. We had a dinner on the beach as part of our package and I would recommended the food choice and my husband and I chose Steak as our main course and it was cooked to perfection and tasted delicious. The whole experience was made very special for us.

The cocktail menu is extensive and the choice of premium branded drinks was amazing, even the mixers were premium and not a syrup mixed with soda water! It would have been nice to have enjoyed a drink in our room but this is not available in the mini bar.

I am not a very strong swimmer and I was very apprehensive about snorkelling but was very keen to give it a try. My husband and I took a while to get our masks sorted out and they were very good in the hire shop and we were good to go in no time. We took our first steps into the water just off the Sand Bar, we found for inexperienced snorkellers this was an excellent place to start. The water is shallow initially there but you do not need to swim out very far before you can see the fish just to the right of the bar. I saw a shark the very first time we went out and I was hooked from then on and spent each day snorkelling. I would recommend taking a t-shirt to wear whilst snorkelling as I did burn my back the first time I went out.

Just to add we spent a lot of time at the spa pool and although the island was full it never once felt like it. Look out for the fruit bats over head they truly are a sight to be seen. My husband tried to capture one on camera but we have plenty of pics of empty trees and cloudless skies,

On the whole we had a fantastic holiday, service was great, food was delicious and we would have to agree with the excellent reviews already placed on here. The only draw back to such a lovely holiday is that any where we go now just will not compare!!!!

Room Tip: We were in room 92 and it was a little windy with no access to the water but very quiet, If we were...
2 Thank martoniuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!