“Who knew Herbert Hoover was such a great guy?”

Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: This library-museum commemorates the 31st President of the U.S. and the first born west of the Mississippi River. Exhibits track Hoover’s life and political career. The large temporary gallery has changing exhibits that relate to American history. The Museum sits on the grounds of the Hoover National historic site where visitors can tour Hoover's birthplace cottage, blacksmith shop, Quaker meeting house, the local school and the Hoover's gravesite.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We almost did not stop to visit the Herbert Hoover Presidential Museum, thinking that it would not be very interesting. Were we surprised! The displays are very well presented and you feel that you know the man when you completed the circuit. Plan on at least two hours to see everything.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Loved visiting because it's not too far from my home in south central Wisconsin and my husband & I are history buffs. This is the 2nd presidential library I visited and really learned a lot about Hoover & his wife. He was a great humanitarian and does really get the credit and acclaim for all he's done. European countries I think value him more than the U.S. does because he kept them from starvation. West Branch is a lovely little town and I think you would enjoy visiting it.

1  Thank Kathy E
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We've stopped here more than once when their Christmas tree display was out. It's small compared to other presidential libraries we've visited, but we enjoyed the history and love the holiday decorations.

1  Thank MsCheap1
Reviewed September 29, 2012

It makes Herbert Hoover look better that the depression Democrats remember him as being. This stop is well worth ones time.

1  Thank Rex T
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I read a small book about Herbert Hoover written by his niece. It was interesting to read this as it was different take from what my Dad had always told me about President Hoover. We went to his Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa and spent a great deal of time there. I did not realize what a hunamitarian he was. He was a man of Godly character and practiced what he preached -- did what he said he would do. He used much of his own money to aid in programs. Many of Roosevelts ideas on economic recovery were originally Pres. Hoovers plans with some changes done to them. He was not given credit for all of his accomplishments, but he took it in stride. His boyhood home, church, his father's blacksmith shop are all there in the town and may be toured as part of the Library. We were quite impressed. It has made me want to do more research on both Presidents Hoover and FDR. A positive experience!