“Worst Resort I've ever stayed!! Stay away from here!! Waste of money.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Serang
Pulau Umang Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Serang
Jakarta
“Worst Resort I've ever stayed!! Stay away from here!! Waste of money.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

First of all, Umang consider themselves as 4 1/2 star hotel.
Yea Right!!
I've never written reviews on any hotel or resort.
However, I really had to write something about this (I dont know what to call it)
It took forever us to get to the resort from Jakarta.
We were so hungry and wanted to have some nice hot meal.
However, there was only cold set of buffet.
Ok fine, I'm starving let me just get my belly filled.
While we were eating at the dinning area, we saw a huge rodent running by.
I couldnt believe my eyes. So this time I paid more attention. Then
we realized it was a huge RAT!!!
I just wanted to get out of there as quick as possilble.
It seemed like this Island has a rat problem because next day we say bunch
of traps for them.
There are so many complaints I don't know where to begin.
This is the only hotel I've ever been where staff actually didnt clean
our room because they said they were under staffed that day (OMG!)
Swimming pool looked run down.
Activities are not as what they offered on brochore.

Anybody wants to contact me about this worthless resort please feel free.

Chris
cluve123@mail.com

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank NYChris123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went there with 2 of our young children and my in law. Its kinda a long trip to drive from Jakarta, but the moment you reach there, all the tiring from the driving were just gone. Its only 5 minutes away to cross the island. The staff was really helpfull and the check-in was easy. The pool is just sooo beautiful, the wind was good to fly the kite at the beach. The Jacuzzi between their pool is very cozy to chill, chat or to read a book. Food was good, loves their BBQ Calamari, thai cassava and fish was really fresh from the sea.. Yuummm.... Thanks to Umang for their good service and keep up your good work :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Yunin
jakarta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Before we left, i had imagined white sandy beach, good swimming, an overall good experience, but a friend has previously warned that the food and service may suck because he has seen the reviews here.

The six hour drive is tiring, the road is okay but some of the stretches are in major disrepair. After arriving in the destination, we left the cars parked in the pier and crossed to the island in a motor boat.

There were fifteen of us, in three cars and booking three cottages. Here is the highlights of our trip.

1 Lunch.

Bad service, bad service, bad service. On our first hour of arriving, we had to register before having lunch, and when we do... the food comes slowly.... in small amounts. The food is on the low side. None of them is warm and badly presented. When one of our table asks for another portion of meat, the waiter actually has the gall to say that this has to be the last time we ask for another portion.

Very, very rude. Obviously needs training on what to say to customers.

If they're going to limit the food, do a buffet !

2. The representative, Hance is very hospitable and seems very helpful. We don't interact with him too often though.

3. The beach is not friendly to the users. The sand is full of corrals / shells / etc making walking without sandals a bad idea, the corrals / rocks are plentiful, causing some discomfort when swimming. The dozens of minor scrapes with the rocks highly discourages me from making another try at swimming in the shallows.

When swimming, the jet ski guy kept trying to order us off "his turf". Meanwhile the banana boat people kept pestering us to do a 175.000 rupiah drive, despite our repeated refusal

I love the small pavilions they've set up at the beach though, with mattresses and netting, etc. It gives me a place to retreat after the beach fiasco.

the swmming pool is okay, although the jacuzzi is pathetic. the water is murky, and its temperature only slightly above skin temperature.

4. Dinner.

Average food, but at least it's plentiful. Better than the lunch though

The waiter did his best to limit the number of portions we can call again, until one of us, a Mr. Ervin... confronted the waiter. I'll definitely have to thank him for the dinner.

After dinner, we had another argument with the waiter because they're charging us extra for the coffee / tea we ordered during dinner. How are we supposed to know which items are free and which ones are supplements? Paying is not a problem, but the way they are doing things makes the resort look bad.

My suggestion to the management: put up a notice on the table, explain the types of food available and which ones are included in the holiday package.

5. The room is okay, the interior, the pavilions, the main guest house all has an excellent design.. We found three roaches during our stay, all of them fell to our previously prepared Baygon canister. thanks to the previous reviews.

Air conditoners are superb., the hot water is running fine, nothing is wrong with the bathroom. although one of the cottages has electrical problems, so we moved all our indoor activities to the other ones.

The extra bed, however.... comes with two sets of bedcovers. One to cover the bed.. and another one to cover you..... as a blanket. What an amazing way to "cover" the shortage of blanket.

Overall:

The idea and concept behind umang resort is amazing but the service ( or lack of services ) provided seems to be trying to drive people away from the island. I had a distinct feeling that the management is trying to save cost, in any way.

Properly managed, the resort can be great. But at its current state.. not worth the money i spent on it.

I definitely won't be back, until someone tells me that these problems are addressed properly.

• Liked — the design of the island and architecture of the buildings
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank einhander

Travelers are raving about these Serang hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I booked two cottages in Umang for seven adults. We booked sunrise view and everything is ok until we reached Umang.

When we reached Umang, we had our lunch there. The management has decided to change the full buffet system to a "table buffet". The waiter simply brought foods to our table.

Since we are in a large group, we were seated in two separate tables. In one of the table, the serving was two pieces of meat for 6. And when the waiter was asked for more food, the waiter give another piece and said that is going to be the last one.

Enough with that, we tried to check in at 2:00pm. No one is available to carry our luggages, so we have to carry them ourselves.

Our first impression when we get into the rooms is that the rooms are not very well taken care of. I found some cockroaches and flies inside the cottage. Dust is everywhere. The towels are dirty.

In the other room, some of the light and some of the power cord do not work. We called up the room service to fix them. They did send someone over to try to fix it. But in the end, nothing is done. We live in the dark throughout our stay there. Luckily, we booked two rooms and the lights in the other room is working.

We tried to swim at the beach. Some of the banana boat guy come and offered us a ride. When we rejected them, they parked their boat at where we are swimming.

Next came, the water scooter guy, again they offered us their ride. When we rejected them, they asked us to swim somewhere else. Well, actually they asked us to swim in a location full of coral.

Next, it is dinner time. We are seated together in one big table. When asked for more food, the waiter said they don't have anything left as it is reserved for other guests. I then asked if they have tea or coffee, and the waiter said they do.

When we were leaving the table, the waiter come to us with a bill for tea and coffee. Well, I thought those are included in the table buffet. Apparently, they are not.

I decided to take this up with the manager on duty. Firstly, I asked whether the meal is Set-Meal or Table-Buffet. The manager said it is table buffet, however the serving is for Indonesian standard. Why call it buffet if the serving is limited. I asked the manager again whether I should order the buffet for 3 when 2 people are dining to ensure that we have enough food. The manager assures me that that is not necessary.

However, at the end of the conversation, the manager admit that it is actually a set meal, and all the other staff has misinterpreted the meal as a buffet. If this is a set meal, then it is really not worth it. The food are very limited with only 3-4 dishes. The meal would probably cost less than Rp. 20,000 in Jakarta.

I understand that the meal system there used to be a normal buffet. Maybe due to cost cutting they changed the system to "table-buffet". However, this is driving customers away. Why make it table buffet with limited food when customers cannot bring their own food.

I would never go to Umang again, even if it is free.

• Liked — None, really.
  • Disliked — All.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank Ucup
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2007

We booked for Umang resort and spa for package of 3d2n for the whole family of 12 adults, 1 baby, and 2 todlers. At first, we were a bit doubt of the place after read the review earlier in tripadvisor.com. But after arrive, it is a really beautiful island, white sandy beach, clear water and wood cottage. We got 2 cottages with connecting door, the bedroom is on the upstair which you can see the sea from the wide window and stars on the sky while you lie down on your bed. The bathroom is also nice with stone and natural concept.

The cottage is big enough to accomodate 5-7 persons (with additional beds) since each cottage only has 1 bedroom.

We also booked the trip to another island "OAR", about 10 minutes by boat. We don't expect much for this remote island, but appearantly the beach is more beautiful than umang, whiter, clearear and smoother. We did the snorkling with the guide, and surprising the coral is so beautiful with many colourful fishes. Even you can stand up in the middle of the ocean as the coral is only 50cm depth.

The seafood is excellent, others menu of chinese-indonesian food get "okay". The service is excellent from all the staffs, we also got personal guide service from Mr. Hance. Over all, we think it worth it of $90/prs included meals for the stay in umang, Only the road trips it's quite long from Jakarta, but try to enjoy it with the chickens, goats and sometimes kids crossing the road during the trips.

• Liked — view from the bedroom, the cottage
  • Disliked — the air conditioner
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Servi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Before booking I had read the reviews and personally I had crossed Pulau Umang off my list but the children were bowled over by what they saw on the website and because this was their summer break holiday I allowed their opinion and so we decided to give it a chance.

Dubiously we phoned the number and were connected up to Yesy the marketing girl who seemed efficient and after much conversation we confirmed that we are 4 adults (Children were over their age limit) and we specifically stated we wanted a King size bed (NOT Twin) for the real adults and it must be a sunset room. Everything ran smoothly with faxes, money transfers and text messages resembling a 5 star establishment.

In deciding where I stay I always ask if there are Jet-Ski’s available and Yesy confirmed that the Island most certainly does have.

Before transferring any money we phone the island one night and spoke to the staff (regrettably we never asked his name). We asked what has been done to address the complaints we have read and we were assured that this was something of the past and the old housekeeping staff had been fired and replaced.

Knowing that the entire coastline had recently suffered very heavy surf conditions that had eroded most beaches along the coast, we asked if the island had a sandy beach were we can swim without standing on rock or coral and we were assured that there is a great beach with white sand. My turning point was taking this into consideration and the fact that the “Expat Indonesia” website lists the resort on their website.

We arrived after a rather long drive from Jakarta, barely missing a number of suicidal chickens. Climbing of the boat at the Island my daughter’s first comment was “Dad look at that car tyre washed up on the shore”. Looking around all we could see was rock and coral, so maybe the sandy beach is on the other side of the island. There isn’t a beach on the island where hiking boots are not required. We entered the hotel and as far as the eye could see there were sandy footprints on the wooden floor.

We didn’t know where to go or what to do as there is no clear reception area so we seated ourselves in the lounge area waiting for our bags and then along came Edison the guest liaison officer. Edison asked for all our documents (faxes) and after barely inspecting them he informed us that we have a lovely twin bed room and that the children’s extra beds had not been charged so we will have to pay additionally for this. Turned out to be mattresses plonked on the floor from the next door room. TWIN BED? We had specifically stated a King Bed and a Sunset Room. After an episode that was seemingly supposed to make us appreciate the effort of the staff to resolve OUR predicament we were placed in a sunrise room and the extra bed issue was left hanging in the air until checkout time when we were informed that we would have to pay for 1 of the 2 mattresses even though our confirmation faxes clearly stated board and meals for 4 adults x3 days.

We were then taken to our room down a lovely sand path under the trees and along the way past the seaside dinner area there was more papers and tissue littering the place than what I experience in my Jakarta complex.

Before I bore you with all the detail let me rather bullet the rest of our nightmare.
-Rooms are not cleaned (when we asked they came only that one time and made the beds but left the rubbish and didn’t even bother to sweep the floor)
-Drinking water in the room is not replenished
-The coastline is littered with rubbish that was there when we came and left.
-Edison was full of promises (Daily) regarding the Jet Ski’s that remained under covers until the morning we escaped.
-The Pool is full of algae
- When we left there was still a cup and side plate on the pool deck that was there since we arrived (3 Days)
-On the first night I ordered a beer and when I asked for another I was told there are no more. The next day they discovered some more in housekeeping but most of the staff kept telling me there aren’t any until I took them to their own fridge to show them where they are. The 5 they found in housekeeping didn’t last long and so there were no more for the rest of my stay.
-In the lounge they have a drink and snack menu. Order and don’t be surprised with what you get and whatever alternatives they come up with you still pay the price listed
-Security may have changed shift over the 3 days that we were there but all I saw was someone plonked in the corner of the post starring my wife and daughters up and down and right next to security is another hut that had workers lazing around and this made for a total unpleasant experience having to walk past the stares and muffled comments.
-When trying to check out, Edison informed me that the credit card facility was not working and it was stated in the “terms” that only cash is accepted. On closer inspection of all the documents I had received there was nothing that indicated credit cards are not accepted.
-The speed boat guy kept harassing us to use the speed boat for only Rp600,000.- an hour. I’m not sure why he would think we would use this while there is a free boat trip to the island next door and besides, for Rp600 thousand an hour one would expect a bit of luxury not some run down little fibreglass boat.
-All bills you sign for, do not have prices on so there is a pleasant surprise when you check out.
-Luckily I brought my own can of Baygon from Jakarta. The cockroaches in the room are not small.
-They provide mosquito mats in the room but no apparatus to put them in.
-There is no chance in leaving with your money back so be prepared to give up all you had to pay in advance.
-We had an incident while travelling on one of the boat ferries that had lost power and was being tossed around in the waves. After everyone had grabbed a life-jacket only one of the 4 my family had was serviceable. Side laces and zips were not present or not working on 3 of them. Looking around, most on the boat had the same problem.
-In the lounge, at the pool, on the coral beach, in the restaurant don’t expect any staff to be within sounds reach so if you want to order something, be prepared to go get it yourself. Along the way note the number of staff hanging around in groups seemingly all busy doing something even if it’s just moving from one group to the next.
-In the 3 days there I only once saw a cleaner sweeping the stairs leading up to the restaurant. After our meals he was gone and the main hallway was still full of sandy footprints.

Regards, Keith

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
17 Thank Keith E
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2007

Umang Island; it could be heaven but it doesn’t even come close. The island is beautiful, as is the architecture of the buildings on it. However because it is not clean, not well maintained and not well managed, we do not recommend it to anyone.

When we arrived at our room, there were several things not in order. We found dirty sheets with blood on them from previous guests. The sheets obviously hadn’t been changed for a while.
Moreover there was no running water. When we reported it, the management said they were very sorry and would fix it. However nothing happened. After waiting for an hour we called the reception to enquire about the status and the people from the reception said they would send the mechanic over right away. Still nothing happened. Only after we complained for the 3rd time (2,5 hours after we reported there was no water) and we threatened to leave the island did the management have the water supply fixed.
Furthermore the room was not well cleaned or maintained. There were stains on all the furniture. The floor and the sofa were sticky with dirt. Lots of things were broken. Obviously cleanliness and maintenance of the rooms are not a priority with the managament of Umang Island.

On the rest of the island cleanliness and maintenance are not a priority either. Lots of things are broken and you get the feeling that everything is dirty.
In the restaurant area several things are not in order. After the meals the tables are not immediately cleared (even one hour after mealtime, tables remain dirty); new guests are directed towards dirty tables. And when tables are cleared they are not properly cleaned. We saw personnel cleaning the tables with dirty napkins left by the guests.
Due to this the tables and chairs are always sticky with dirt.
Once when we had dinner we saw a rat in the restaurant area looking for food.
If the personnel would clean the restaurant better, this would not happen.
The restaurant food is at its best mediocre. Which sucks, since you can not get food anywhere else on the island. And you are not allowed to bring your own food either.

We have to say that the personnel of the restaurant and the guest relations officer Edison are very nice. They try really hard but obviously the personnel of the restaurant has not been trained well.
Furthermore the indonesian massages from the spa were excellent, the best we have ever had.

It’s obvious that management doesn’t know how to organise their employees in an effective way. And the management does not train their employees well. Moreover they do not inspect the work of their employees. This leads to the general miserable state of the resort. What a waste, with good management it could be the perfect holiday destination!

Margot & Jeffrey

• Liked — the island on which the hotel is situated and the surroundings
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed April 2007
17 Thank Margot_Jef
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serang
Aston Anyer Beach Hotel
Marbella Hotel, Convention & Spa
Greenotel Cilegon
Greenotel Cilegon
#3 of 5 in Cilegon

Been to Pulau Umang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!