“Underwater paradise in 5hrs driving distance to Jakarta & local relaxing accomodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Serang
Pulau Umang Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Serang
Basel
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There are not many places where you can snorkel “close” to the metropolis of Jakarta. The thousand islands are nearly destroyed by pollution or overcrowded during the weekends.
Probably the best option is the island hotel “Pulau Umang”. It is not a Hilton or Marriot resort; no, you are in Indonesia, probably a good 3 star place. It is located on an island, approx. 7 min. by speed boat from the coast (close to Samur).
The island itself has just the hotel with 30 bungalows; each of them hosts two separate apartments. The apartments itself have two levels. On the upper level there is the sleeping area with mosquito net – do not worry, just better than without. (In the mosquito season, i.e. 4 weeks after the rainy months have passed, you will find mosquitos in any x star location in Indonesia, if windows or doors can be opened by you.) The living area of the bungalows is spacious, two sofas, one comfortable lounge chair, table etc., huge fridge.
The hotel started 2005/2006. Even after only 8 years you see it. The original design is very nice. But the owner does not seem to realize that the rough climate, the salty air asks for its tribute. It is time to change the cover of the sofas or to fix all wooden parts, which come into contact with water. While I was there, a lot of renovation work was underway, but focusing mainly on the island itself and not the bungalows. Both tasks are very necessary.
The island itself is something rare in Java. No scooters, no traffic noise, just the water and waves around you; very relaxing.
The hotel is mainly used by residents of the Jakarta metropolis. Foreign tourists will not like to travel the 4 – 6 hours on the roads to the harbor station opposite Palau Umang.
I was lucky; because I spent a weekend there during the Ramadan. Only 3 bungalows were occupied. I was serviced perfectly. The manager – Erik (grandson of Dutch-Indonesian couple, but fully Indonesian) – picked me up at the pier and treated my like a personal friend during my whole stay. I cannot make any bad comment. I was treated very well. During high season, it might be quite crowded, as there is not a lot of free space besides the bungalows and the main building.
The kitchen of the resort offers mainly local Indonesian food. I am a European and have to admit, Indonesian dishes are not my favorites, please apologize; of course, if prepared nicely they might be fine also for me. Here, the cook focused more on the quantity. Foreign visitors who are keen on any seafood might even like it; but for me squid should be tender and not hard like rubber (I know, that is not so easy to prepare.). I was the only Western guest during my stay. It seemed that the other guests were quite happy with the food.
My target was not the food but the snorkeling. The resort has a second private island, which is nearly virgin-like. The world below the water line is spectacular. The colors of the corals and fishes are just fantastic and worth every hour of the long trip from Jakarta. The varieties of the fishes in colors and shapes are stunning for any visitor like me, who comes from a country without a coast line. Erik brought me to this jewel the two mornings, just a 5 min. ride by speed boat. I enjoyed these trips very much.
Sports: The resort has a nice pool, approx. 15 by 25 m, rectangular, perfectly for a swim. I made my 1 ½ km each morning and evening. Jogging is not really possible. The island is just too small and the trails are not very smooth.
Summary: I can recommend Palau Umang for a weekend break very much. But you will be only fully satisfied if you are willing to enjoy the under water paradise. You might have to make a compromise regarding the apartments and the food; but otherwise the prices would be double – and it is already not really cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SebiFreqTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Solo, Indonesia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stay at umag from august 5-7th...Before go here, i read all the review..1 review thats absolutely help me what to expect from umang rsort is, we can't expect for 5star facility hotel in the island..some property not in good condition....but actually the service is quite good..few time we do complaint and the resprt staff response is very good..and since from pre booking untill we leave the island, we get warm n nice service..something i've rarely found at jakarta..if u want to do snorkeling better to do it at the morning qround 8 or 9 when the wind and wave still calm.the food quite nice..worth with the price we pay...the bathroom interior is very nice. For us, The cottage is quite big even for 5 or 6 people.only the road to go there make me dizzy...but overall, we enjoy our time there..good alternative for holiday if u want a place beside lembang or puncak or singapore :)

Room Tip: Choose a cottage that near lobby
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank meliantha s
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've been with my family goes to pulau umang for holiday it was on weekend 26 - 28 of july. And what we found there was so awsome the staff are great, very polite thanks to the manager mr. Erik he was very kind.....:e give us the very best room 103 is our room. Just like honeymoon they design the room so hommy even my son like it. Its clean and neat. We have snorkling and canoing around the island. And at night we have an outdoor dinner on the beach that's what we looking for from the hatic time at jakarta. Pulau Umang we will come back.....best regards from me jeane and family

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank marijotorang
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Umang island is beauty natural island at ujung kulon,good place & good location for your hobby a photography the view sunrise & sunset over all good. About room good natural place hommy,food of course like the traditional cuisine for dinner seafood barberque very delicious. Thank Umang Island,Go for the best...****

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I spent my family holiday at pulau umang on 12 - 14 of june. It was beyond my expectation this place is so natural, they really taking care of everything during my stay, thanks to the manager he delivered all what we need, we go snorkeling to the other small island is only take 10 minutes by boat the coral is beautiful with the fish. And we feeding the fish so amazing.

At dinner we have a special dinner at the beach with their seafood bbq very tasty and the manager give my family a very surprise compliment it was a plate of fried king prawn so fresh.

The long traveling from jakarta is paid with all that we have at pulau umang. Thanks to all the staff the manager and our guest relation officer mesak.

For sure we recommended this place for your vacation. What we read about this place at internet just wipe away. We like to come back on our next vacation...go for the best for pulau umang.

• Stayed June 2013
Indonesia
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I got there with family over a weekend, it was a very long trip from Jakarta. The place is too far and the traffic is bad. When we got there the first thing thats dissapoint me was there is no place nor beach to swim to the ocean.... Practically on day 1 got nothing to do beside swimming on the pool. Day 2 was ok, u can visit the other island located near the place, about 15 minutes by boat. And you can go snorkling, the spot was ok the current wasnt that bad so you could enjoy your morning with beach activities sadly that was not on pulau umang. The only thing that comfort me is the customer service is very personal, they take care of you starting from your arrival from jakarta and up to the island. Thats the only things that is good for me. Overall if you want to go there, please dont set up high standard....its just an average one

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Umang resort is located in ujung kulon and its pretty far from jakarta. It's about 6-7 hours from tangerang (if there isn't traffic jam). So its a far far far journey. Prepare your meals and snacks during the trip. When we arrived to umang resort car park, they arranged boat for us. The boat takes only 5 min. Then you'll see umang resort and spa. When I came, there's renovation in the beach. So, it's noisy and bad view. The staff were great. The room also great, but there's lizard inside our fridge and cockroach in the living room. Meals were so so, but our 1st meal (dinner) was very terrible. They said buffett, but the bbq seafood was given in a plate for each room, and the fish was verry little. And if you came here, dont ever miss to go to Oar island. We saw a lot of corals and clown fish and jelly fish! It was very great! You also can drink young coconut in the island for 10k. Thanks for Jimmy and the man who took us to Oar Island (we forgot the name) but he's very good and took us a lot of photo when snorkling!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the sunrise view, the beach is much better than sunset view villa.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank meltomb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serang
Aston Anyer Beach Hotel
Marbella Hotel, Convention & Spa
Sanghyang Indah Spa Resort
Hawaii Resort Family Suites
Le Dian Hotel Serang
Le Dian Hotel Serang
#3 of 13 in Serang
Jayakarta Villas Anyer Beach Resort, Boutique Suites & Spa

Been to Pulau Umang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!