“paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Serang
Pulau Umang Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Serang
tangerang
“paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

Several days ago i bring my family to enjoy Umang Island...

i bring my little boy (2yrs), Husband, and with my Mom and Dad...

it take so long by car to reach that palce, but...when we arrived there...i forget my long trip to go there..., it was so beautiful island, with white sandy beach and the cottage so warm and natural but keep modern...

We arrived in the afternoon...so after we take a lunch, we can't wait to playing on the beach...the sand was very soft and clean, and so many coral here because the GRO (Guest relation officer) said that Umang island is coral island means so many coral here...but the benefit for them is...they have a clean land water to drink.because of the coral as a filter for the water. hmmm...so fantactic and its natural way to get a clean water...

next day...after breakfast we go to Oar island for snorkeling and swimming on the beach, and wowww....i see so many sweety fishs and corals...its so BEAUTIFUL...

we enjoy the barbeque at luch on the park with view of the sea....the food good enough n my parents very happy

Umang was not a busy island with so many people surrounding, Umang is a place for someone who needs to escape from routinity, we enjoy the beach...the view of Honje hills...and change our oxygen with soft cleary air here....

me n family wanna comeback here someday.....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dovyncy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

It's my first time spending holiday in Umang Island. a very long trip from Jakarta paid off with a beautifull view of beach. we welcomed by friendly staff, he escourted and arranged our schedule while in Umang.
I really amaze with the beach, white sand and great coral reef..great place for snorkling.
i love it...i like it... thanks Umang. I will come back with my fams.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank henrycraft1
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

This is not a resort that you imagine. Very quiet, no activities. Terrible beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ciplokboy

Travelers are raving about these Serang hotels

jakarta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Although I have read previous some reviews here, I decided to go to Pulau Umang, because the reviews here were written on 2007. It's been quiet long, and I believe the management must be evaluated many things, and made improvement.

But, after 3 years, they haven't change!!

*Sumur village, just like any fisherman village, was hot and "not good looking". At the arrival, maybe they didn't clean the house for a week!!

*Trip to Umang Island, just took 5 minutes, and I had no problem with the boat.
At the island... hmmm.. first time I saw... no impression at all. The sight from Umang to Java, was surrounded by many fisherman boats. And when I looked to the west, I could see mounth Rakata (son of Krakatoa, which its eruption killed 38000 people).

*They have a big white house, called sunset dome, designed just like opera house at Sidney. Quiet interesting, and eye caching. But.... the interior is confusing. When I walked into, I didn't find a lobby, or receptionist, but restaurant!!
guess what, their receptionist just behind the restaurant.. I never find such anything like these before.

*The people were good and helpful

*The beach... disappointing and disgusting!!! although the sand was white, but it's dirt, full of coral. So I couldn't walked by the beach without sandal. :(
and in some place, funny how when I could find some garbage?? bottles, plastics, and even sandals????
I talked to the manager, and he said, the garbage come from the ocean.
I don't care about what the ocean brings, but they responsibility is to keep their island clean.

*and when walked around the island, (they have a jogging track) still I could find some garbage, and I believe they can't blame the ocean for that!!

*pulau Oar, next to pulau Umang, only 5 minutes by boat. there were nothing there. only larger sandy beach, and of course.. full of corals. never walk on the beach without sandal. Huh..

*snorkel site, not recommended!!! the coral, maybe has destroyed long ago with bomb by traditional fisherman.

*F&B was good enough.

Overall.... Pulau Umang is dirt!!!!! Not recommended!! If you compared with same level island like Sepa (at Seribu Islands), Umang is three steps behind.

PS.

They have package for honeymoon, it's interesting, cheap, with full compliment. But, my suggestion is: BEWARE TO HAVE SEX AT THE COTTAGE!! especially in the bed room (2nd floor) Why? Because they designed with large hole (or window?) upside, and silly thing is, your neighbour can see you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank uwee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

First of all, Umang consider themselves as 4 1/2 star hotel.
Yea Right!!
I've never written reviews on any hotel or resort.
However, I really had to write something about this (I dont know what to call it)
It took forever us to get to the resort from Jakarta.
We were so hungry and wanted to have some nice hot meal.
However, there was only cold set of buffet.
Ok fine, I'm starving let me just get my belly filled.
While we were eating at the dinning area, we saw a huge rodent running by.
I couldnt believe my eyes. So this time I paid more attention. Then
we realized it was a huge RAT!!!
I just wanted to get out of there as quick as possilble.
It seemed like this Island has a rat problem because next day we say bunch
of traps for them.
There are so many complaints I don't know where to begin.
This is the only hotel I've ever been where staff actually didnt clean
our room because they said they were under staffed that day (OMG!)
Swimming pool looked run down.
Activities are not as what they offered on brochore.

Anybody wants to contact me about this worthless resort please feel free.

Chris
cluve123@mail.com

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank NYChris123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

We went there with 2 of our young children and my in law. Its kinda a long trip to drive from Jakarta, but the moment you reach there, all the tiring from the driving were just gone. Its only 5 minutes away to cross the island. The staff was really helpfull and the check-in was easy. The pool is just sooo beautiful, the wind was good to fly the kite at the beach. The Jacuzzi between their pool is very cozy to chill, chat or to read a book. Food was good, loves their BBQ Calamari, thai cassava and fish was really fresh from the sea.. Yuummm.... Thanks to Umang for their good service and keep up your good work :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Yunin
jakarta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Before we left, i had imagined white sandy beach, good swimming, an overall good experience, but a friend has previously warned that the food and service may suck because he has seen the reviews here.

The six hour drive is tiring, the road is okay but some of the stretches are in major disrepair. After arriving in the destination, we left the cars parked in the pier and crossed to the island in a motor boat.

There were fifteen of us, in three cars and booking three cottages. Here is the highlights of our trip.

1 Lunch.

Bad service, bad service, bad service. On our first hour of arriving, we had to register before having lunch, and when we do... the food comes slowly.... in small amounts. The food is on the low side. None of them is warm and badly presented. When one of our table asks for another portion of meat, the waiter actually has the gall to say that this has to be the last time we ask for another portion.

Very, very rude. Obviously needs training on what to say to customers.

If they're going to limit the food, do a buffet !

2. The representative, Hance is very hospitable and seems very helpful. We don't interact with him too often though.

3. The beach is not friendly to the users. The sand is full of corrals / shells / etc making walking without sandals a bad idea, the corrals / rocks are plentiful, causing some discomfort when swimming. The dozens of minor scrapes with the rocks highly discourages me from making another try at swimming in the shallows.

When swimming, the jet ski guy kept trying to order us off "his turf". Meanwhile the banana boat people kept pestering us to do a 175.000 rupiah drive, despite our repeated refusal

I love the small pavilions they've set up at the beach though, with mattresses and netting, etc. It gives me a place to retreat after the beach fiasco.

the swmming pool is okay, although the jacuzzi is pathetic. the water is murky, and its temperature only slightly above skin temperature.

4. Dinner.

Average food, but at least it's plentiful. Better than the lunch though

The waiter did his best to limit the number of portions we can call again, until one of us, a Mr. Ervin... confronted the waiter. I'll definitely have to thank him for the dinner.

After dinner, we had another argument with the waiter because they're charging us extra for the coffee / tea we ordered during dinner. How are we supposed to know which items are free and which ones are supplements? Paying is not a problem, but the way they are doing things makes the resort look bad.

My suggestion to the management: put up a notice on the table, explain the types of food available and which ones are included in the holiday package.

5. The room is okay, the interior, the pavilions, the main guest house all has an excellent design.. We found three roaches during our stay, all of them fell to our previously prepared Baygon canister. thanks to the previous reviews.

Air conditoners are superb., the hot water is running fine, nothing is wrong with the bathroom. although one of the cottages has electrical problems, so we moved all our indoor activities to the other ones.

The extra bed, however.... comes with two sets of bedcovers. One to cover the bed.. and another one to cover you..... as a blanket. What an amazing way to "cover" the shortage of blanket.

Overall:

The idea and concept behind umang resort is amazing but the service ( or lack of services ) provided seems to be trying to drive people away from the island. I had a distinct feeling that the management is trying to save cost, in any way.

Properly managed, the resort can be great. But at its current state.. not worth the money i spent on it.

I definitely won't be back, until someone tells me that these problems are addressed properly.

• Liked — the design of the island and architecture of the buildings
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank einhander
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serang
Aston Anyer Beach Hotel
Marbella Hotel, Convention & Spa
Greenotel Cilegon
Greenotel Cilegon
#3 of 5 in Cilegon

Been to Pulau Umang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!