“Peaceful & beautiful retreat”

and 1 more site!
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I spent a week at the Sarinbuana Eco Lodge with friends. We stayed in the Jungle House, which was big and beautiful. The porch upstairs was a great place to sit and feel like you were the only humans in the world, looking out from the mountain into the vast jungle. Our other friends stayed in the other bungalows on the grounds. Linda, Putri and the amazing staff are so friendly, lovely to speak to and made the visit so much better. We spent our time trekking around the jungle, swimming in the swimming holes, doing yoga, getting the most amazing massages, speaking with the locals, dancing in the dining room and learning to cook Balinese food. The food was absolutely amazing. My favourite was the Jungle Special, the garlicky cashew mayo and the chocolate mousse. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Reviewed December 25, 2013

As a family of 4 with 2 girls 11 and 17 we spent 4 days here in July 2013. All the staff were very friendly, there was plenty of activities for all, and many more left for a another visit. The location is superb, the staff are very friendly. The biggest bonus was that the food was the best we have ever had over 25 years and 4 trips to Bali. it is prepared fresh from mainly locally grown, seasonal foods, using traditional Balinese ingredients. We would go back for the food alone.
We undertook the following activities; birdwatching, jungle walk, massage, carving, decorations, cooking class, musical instruments and kitchen garden walk. All were interesting and fun. And there was plenty of time to find somewhere to sit and relax.
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank XMrakX

Thank you!, hope to see you again sometime x Linda

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 4 with two daughters 5 and 7. I choose this place because it is the only place that close to nature yet kids friendly with reasonable package price.

My older daughter enjoyed their healing workshop, Balinese costume, and limestone carving workshop. She even drank the traditional potion made from fresh herbs. Ibu Putu and Pak Ketut are great people.

I am glad that they have many choices of gluten free menu for my younger daughter who has autism. She enjoys the cosy sofa overlooking the monkeys in the restaurant and the little bale with Balinese xylophone.

The treehouse was GREAT. It is huge for 4 of us. We only use downstairs room to sleep. While upstairs room was great for afternoon massage while kids took their nap downstairs. The resident cat was so cool with class of its own... she would sleep on a sofa upstairs, while i had my massage. My elder daughter loved to touch the cat.

We are glad with the wifi and hot showers in the room. They provide comfort from home while being close to nature.

The rainforest walk was great. Glad that both my daughters could do it with few encounters with leeches.... it is certainly an unforgettable experience...

The only drawback was the waterhole.... it was too cold during the rainy seasons in that morning... with leeches and insects... ok i admitted i was terrified with the leeches.... my legs was itchy all over after a while... but luckily the itchiness gone completely after a few hours.

My elder daughter developed fever after the dip in the waterhole... i guess she was not used to the cold water... the staff was kind enough to gave me raw egg white when i asked... i used the egg white to rub the sole of her feet when panadol didn't seem to work. Luckily the fever went down quickly.

Overall, a 4 nights stay at the treehouse was certainly a memorable experience for my family. This is the place to be for those looking for kids friendly place to stay yet staying close to nature.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you!,We are happy that you enjoy our lodge - lucky you I have never had a leech at our waterhole over 20 years - the Balinese say they only come to those with good blood, seriously for other guests the occasional leech is very small & not a problem, irritation is minimal. Life is not about minimising irritation - its about experiencing life!, including those that share the earth with us.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My sister & I have just spent the last few days @ the lodge, having the most wonderful time. Linda & all her amazing staff, work tirelessly ensuring each guest gets something out of their stay. The lodge is truly a beautiful place & if there is a heaven on earth, this may just be it! I highly recommend taking the temple walk, it's not for the faint hearted, was hot, sweaty, and muddy @ times, however we laughed al the way with our guide, who was amazing!!! You truly get to see (village) Bali in all it's untouched glory. The food was amazing, and portion sizes where bang on, enough to fill you up, without over indulging. The 1hr Bali massage was by far, in the top 5 of the best I've ever had, it left you feeling relaxed, rejuvenated & not nearly as bloated. It's wonderful to see everyone working effortlessly to ensure this beautiful Eco system of the mountain stays pristine.

I will be definitely returning again. And will be recommending the lodge to anyone going to Bali.

Room Tip: Any room is a winner, each offering something different, ours was @ the bottom, away from everyone...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

You girls are amazing! Thank you so much for emptying your childhood toy chest (the night before your visit to the lodge) and bringing all your toys here, they are already being snuggled by many happy kids in our village. it was very thoughtful, so thank you again, and also for your review, one thing I know from 10 years of receiving guests to our lodge - Aussies know & are connected with nature, I don't think theres an insect here that has ever fazed an Aussy, Im so grateful that there is still a sound ecological system where you live - look after that girls : ) hope to see you again sometime x Linda

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Date of Stay : 28-30 Nov 2013

I have to say.. this hidden gen simply grows on you.

We arrived in the evening and it was raining. As usual, the insects (those flying ants) come out at night.. even more so since it was raining. Our kids (age 7, 6 and 1.5) were horrified and I have to admit, as they finally fell asleep, I began to wonder if we could survive the 2 nights we have planned to stay there. For me and wifey, having grown up in the kampong when we were young, this place brings back fond memories. But for our city-kids, this is a culture shock!

The next day, it was raining. Wife and I woke up in the morning hoping to catch the sunrise but we found hundreds (if not thousands) of the dead flying ants on the floor and on the toilet seat. I quickly swept the insects away before the kids wake up. But the minute we set foot in the restaurant for bfast, we (the kids) totally forgot abt the insects, etc. Breakfast was simple but tasty. The food (for bfast, lunch and dinner) was prepared fresh. The veges were freshly plucked and cooked. Veges never taste this great in my whole life.. and I'm not saying this as an exaggerated tourist. By the 2nd day, the kids are getting used to the place. Those with stronger legs can try the hiking. As for me, we decided to venture ourselves to the waterhole.. about a 15min walk down.. with deep and slippery steps all the pay. 15mins walk up the steps back to our lodge and I have legs that are still aching even after 1 week.
The 3rd day, we managed to do what we had planned when we were here - to pass donations of soccer boots, balls, board games, etc to the nearby village school. The look we saw on the kids' faces when we opened up the luggage full of gifts.. was priceless. It was also durin gthis 3rd day here that the kids felt that they did not want to go home. That was why I say that this place grows on you. The longer you stay here.. the more you will love this place.
To be surrounded by nature.. and to give back to the village.. is definitely an emotional and unforgettable experience. I want my kids to learn and appreciate life.. and I'm confident that after this trip.. they have taken a lot more that what they have given. The best way to appreciate life.. is to live it!!!!

Room Tip: The road up is super bumpy. Those with motion sickness, be prepared.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Firstly thank you so much for your generous gifts to our local children, also thank you for your feedback. A note for potential future guests - the flying termites mentioned here, occur in Bali when the first rains of the wet season arrive, it's usually just 1 night, so it was an unfortunate experience or maybe fascinating (depending on how you see nature) to see this natural cycle which provides a feast for frogs & geckos.
Thanks again for choosing a nature based experience to share with your children

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We recently spent a few nights in this place. Our transfers were included in the special deal we had with the Lodge and after a 2 hour drive arrived at this remote but lovely place. I see previous reviewers complained about the roads but only 15 mins was on bumpy roads and this is just the way things are when you get out of the city on the island.

We were given the Rumah manis bungalow, a 1 double bed bungalow with a small living area, bathroom and lovely terrace with stunning views. Whilst we certainly appreciate that his was nature at its best, if you are not prepared to share your time with an abundance of creatures, this place is probably not for you. I suppose if you come mentally prepared in advance about this it would be fine but it can be a shock if you're city folk, especially from non-exotic locations. Gigantic spiders, moths, frogs, crickets, cockroaches and other unidentifiable critters would often pay a visit and scare you when they suddenly appear out of nowhere and in your face. Thankfully the mosquito net on the bed gives you this nice sense of security at night. To be honest we started getting used to it by the end but it did make for a couple of nervous nights, at least for the lady in the group. I suppose the way the bungalow is constructed, with gaps between the ceiling and the walls, anything is free to come in and share the night with you...

Our meals were also included so we cannot really comment on the prices but the quality of the food is really where this place excels. Everything tasted so fresh and the flavours were fantastic. Good choice of salads and every night is a different theme for dinner, sometimes you only get a couple of choices but that is good as it makes up your mind quickly. The creme caramel is indeed heavenly - a must try. The staff are also lovely and were always helpful

There are 4 monkeys that are looked after at the Lodge, we understand they were rescued from being pets and cannot be released but still sad to see them pacing all day in their cages.

Had a walk in the nearby jungle, a massage, visited the local village and just spent most of our time lazing about and this place is great to do just that.

Room Tip: Rumah Manis excellent for couples - very private and stunning views
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Thank you so much, hope to see you again someday
x Linda

Reviewed November 26, 2013

or maybe even more excellent ... i don't know if the menu has changed. but the food tasted more delicious than i could remember.
it took me 2 1/2 years to return to this wonderful place. and find it very satisfying that the quality level remains so high. for sure this isn't an easy thing considering the remote location and the climate.
so all my compliments for linda, norm and the sweet staff!

Room Tip: ask for rumah manis
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

hey, thank you - legendary review, we've still got it :) dont make it so long next time... XLinda

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
#2 of 57 in Tabanan
Alassari Plantation
Alassari Plantation
#1 of 6 in Selemadeg

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!