“Reconnect with nature: peace, beauty and tranquility”

and 1 more site!
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
“Reconnect with nature: peace, beauty and tranquility”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was the highlight of a holiday. A wonderful place that really allowed us to get a good sense of Bali's people and culture.

We stayed in the Orchid Bungalow which was private, peaceful and very romantic. We had hoped to get a bigger bungalow but actually, for the 2 of us this was absolutely perfect.

The food is incredible - whether it's the specials prepared each night or the regular menu. Quality and freshness absolutely on a par with or superior to food back home (but of course with a fabulous balinese twist).

Staff were very friendly and professional - helping us organise our activities each day. And there's plenty to do. We did a tour of the vegetable garden, medicinal herbs, a rainforest trek and a massage or four.

You don't need to be deeply committed to eco-principles to enjoy this place (but if you are, you'll love it). We loved the sunsets, the fresh air, the pleasant cooler air in the mountains (but not too cool), the afternoon rains (we went in rainy season), the wonderful birds (bring binoculars) and generally just being in the most beautiful, natural location.

If we ever decide it's worth a return trip to Bali (unfortunately have to think of our carbon footprint) then we would come back here in a flash.

The only bit we felt slightly uncomfortable about were the prices of food. It was completely affordable to us. And the money is going to a good place and helping the local community. BUT it's so far above local prices we felt embarrassed splashing more on an evening meal than a local might earn in a month. It's not a unique issue to the lodge, but one that we felt uncomfortable with.

Room Tip: orchid bungalow lovely for a couple. amazing view, shower and privacy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review.

Please to be correct, a local person doesn't earn in a month the price of a meal at the lodge, it is closer to the daily rate of pay than the monthly pay.

I cant comment on other hotels in Bali but we aim to nurture our staff at the lodge, with very good wages & conditions, they are our family & neighbors here. We could not have been so successful without our local staff & friends.

Thanks again for spending time with us.
xx Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

As I planned to take my 6 yr old son to Bali for his first trip, I wanted him to experience 'real' Bali with the natural environment, friendly people, tasty food and the culture. Sarinbuana Eco Lodge offered this and more. Everything was at our pace where the staff were relaxed and very open to sharing this paradise with us. My sister and I were very impressed that after returning to the Tree House from breakfast the blinds and shutters would be open, allowing us to fully appreciate the location.

We brought some books and stationery for the Sarinbuana Elementary School, which we walked down to the school. There we met the very excited school children. Putri's 6 yr old son had finished for the day, so my son got to play with him and a friend at the lodge while it rained during the afternoon. The three boys quickly gelled and the language barrier disappeared as they fed the rabbit and guinea pigs and played Twister and Lego.

For the adults, the tranquility was very relaxing. We enjoyed going to the Bale to do some improvised yoga with the mats that were waiting for us. Having a massage in a traditional open air hut, while in complete privacy was also a plus. I have been telling anyone who will listen what a great place the lodge is to re-group and relax. Thanks again.

Room Tip: As a group of 2 adults and one child, the Tree House suited us down to the ground, there was plenty...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your review & your gifts for the school children, both very much appreciated.
All the best
Kind Regards
Linda
Kone, New Caledonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful paradise for two weeks with our 3 yr old daughter and 10 month old son. We were very much in need to decompress from our work life and sought this place for it's promise of serenity as well as offering both intellectual and cultural stimulants for the whole family. First and foremost, the staff at the eco-lodge are truly lovely, friendly and very helpful people- while at the same time discreet. They did everything to make our stay special and so relaxing. They cooked special meals for our ten month old baby (fresh, organic and delicious) and also for our 3 yr old daughter. The food at the eco-lodge was absolutely incredible. We stayed in the Treehouse bungalow which was large and beautiful with expansive views of the jungle. The architecture of the bungalows is wonderful- so that you feel constantly outdoors even while inside. You are truly one with nature at all times, and the serenity seeps into your whole being. We had a massage almost everyday, and it was quite something to receive a massage while a beautiful rainstorm falls around you. We hired a child minder, Kadah, to help with the kids during our two week stay ~ she was so responsible and loving to the children. So really, what a wondrous place this is- it was such an extraordinary place to be with the family but also so very romantic for the parents. In addition, the excursions were very interesting; whether trekking in the rain forest, hiking to temples, or day-trips to nearby towns such as Ubud. However, simply strolling around the premises was marvellous too. Thank you Linda, Norm and Putri for such a lovely stay. We will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much, your review is very humbling.

We miss seeing your gorgeous children around, as they became part of our lodge family... & those very special baby cuddles.
We all look forward to seeing you again someday.
All the best
Linda
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The eco lodge offers the discerning traveller a real, pure and nurturing experience. Though I am a self-confessed typical city girl and lover of the concrete cosmopolitan jungles, I was enchanted by the eco lodge, its friendly and discreet staff, and the wonders of nature in their sprawling compound. I spent my 30th birthday here and had a wonderful and memorable time.

My partner and I loved the Padi walk which took 3 hours and opened our eyes to farming. I have to say it was very comforting to see farming in a natural setting and not the typical and sterile line up of crops like a military parade. It made me smile when our guide, who is a farmer, ran off into his crop plot, and retrieved 2 fresh coconuts for our thirst quenching enjoyment!

Within the compound, you'll also find nature's answer to the modern swimming pool in the form of 3 waterholes, complete with small waterfall cascades and explorable via a safe climb from the bottom up. Yogis like myself can use the Bamboo Vale (comes with yoga mats!) at your own discretion and perform your sun salutations in literal sunshine.

Apart from the comfy bed, amazing outdoor shower that made me feel like Pocahontas (we stayed in the Orchid Bungalow), I also really enjoyed the food we were served. My partner and I felt so much better after the delicious organic meals in traditional Balinese tastes. I completely recommend Fish Night! Best meal we had!

Free of the typical modern comforts of TV and air-conditioning, my partner and i were instead treated to the nature's cool breeze and slept wonderfully through the night. The most thrilling part about waking up in the Eco Lodge is being able to appreciate the sunrise without leaving the duvet!

I read some reviews of bug problems but to be perfectly honest, none of the bugs 'bugged' me and I actually found myself documenting those I has not seen before! Oddly, you really get a sense that you should be respectful as you are technically the guest in their natural home. And this is coming from a girl normally who screams at first sight of a roach!

My only feedback would be to have a labelled recycle bin in the rooms for the guests (as mentioned, it was my birthday so i was rather vexed about my own paper wastage from present opening and ended up packing it home instead!)

Totally recommend Sarinbuana Ecolodge for the quiet adventurer!

Room Tip: Orchid Room is great for couples and has the amazing outdoor shower!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Looking forward to seeing you again someday.
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a lovely oasis, high up on the slopes of Mt Batukaru. We had the resort to ourselves for four nights and stayed in the Rumah Manis Bungalow. We walked into the rainforest and out to Muncaksari Temple on day one and relaxed on days two and three! First, I must mention the staff who were lovely, friendly and helpful but left us on our own when we needed solitude - thankyou! Next, the food! All meals prepared fresh in the kitchen and a wonderful variety is available - we even cooked our own dinner one night - ikan pepes (thank you Ilu). Our walk guides were informative and careful to go at our pace, we had lots of time to observe the flora, birds and the temple. At the resort our room was wonderful and in spite of the occasional "bug" we enjoyed the lack of screens on the windows and the breezes blowing through; sitting on the verandah, enjoying the exceptional view out over the forest to the sea and listening to the pounding of the rain was very soothing... We also enjoyed the chance to learn a little Indonesian and have a massage or two. All in all - this experience at Sarinbuana was exactly what we came to Bali for! Well done Linda and crew...

Room Tip: Rumah Manis is the furthest from the main resort and down a lot of steps. If mobility is a problem...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I were very lucky to have stayed at the eco lodge, but even luckier to have met Linda and Norm, the brilliant owners. They both greatly inspired us with their passion for eco-friendly practices/ sustainability.They are both very active in their pursuits to ensure sustainable practices. They sincerely care about their local environment & community. It shows in the details of their lodge. They both have a wealth of knowledge and are practical about applying it to areas that need viable solutions. We stayed at two other "eco" retreats on Bali, neither of them came anywhere close to the amazing job that is done to there.

The lodge is a dream. Situated very high on a mountain, one will be able to see incredible views, breath clean air, and find comfort in the cool crisp air. The food is lovingly prepared with very fresh ingredients. The food was a big highlight for us, because it allowed us to enjoy Indonesian/Balinese cuisine with all pure ingredients, verses not knowing and the possibility of MSG or unhealthy oil, etc. Their organic gardens produce much of the ingredients they use which is also just fantastic, you really get an unparalleled freshness.

The staff is fantastic, they are relaxed, casual, and very assessable. I found many other times at other locations in Bali, that the Balinese workers at either a restaurant or other retreat would be timid, shy, almost a bit awkward towards Western people. However, this was not the case at all at Sarinbuana. They really make you feel comfortable and welcomed. Great staff.

The nearby trekking is amazing. I highly recommend it. The massage I received there was the best out of my 2 month stay in Bali.

I can't wait to visit again someday soon!! Really a wonderful wonderful place. Perfect for any couple, family, or a single travler who is interested in ecology, nature, sustainability,comfort, and great food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thanks so much Eve,
You are also very inspirational, please keep following your dream & vision, I cant say I have ever met anyone like you so far, so young and so committed...
All the best to you
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Jungle Bungalow and we absolutely loved our stay there. My husband and I wanted a quiet getaway and it was just what you need to recharge yourself in beautiful scenery. The food served is amazing - fresh off their organic farm. Must not miss the Chocolate Mousse - it is divine. The staff are very friendly and nice. We did a hike through the rice fields which was great as well. The massages were nice enough - not the best I have ever had - but good enough.

The drive from the airport is long but it is completely worth it. The view was breathtaking, the staff great...it actually made us consider moving to Bali...that is how lovely it was.

We look forward to getting a longer break and spending more time there. Do not get worried with it being too basic because it is called an eco-resort - the principles are there, but it is very comfortable and has wifi too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all your very positive comments.

One point to mention as I see you have only rated our location at 4 points.

An Eco lodge is usually positioned near a natural feature, it was this location we chose to be near the unprotected rainforest of Batukaru.

Yes It is a bit of a bumby ride to get here, but that's what keeps mass tourism out (to our benefit) and only guests such as you, who are open to having a real experience in Bali- away from mass tourism choose our lodge.

xx Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Damai
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort
Puri Lumbung Cottages
Puri Lumbung Cottages
#2 of 22 in Munduk

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!