“A wonderful getaway!”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Shanti Lodge Bali

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

“A wonderful getaway!”
Reviewed February 7, 2016 for a stay in January 2016
person found this review helpful

SERVICE:
I can't say enough great things about the service. The owner went above and beyond to make sure everything was in order for our reservation, and that the pickup from our previous location to Shanti Lodge went flawlessly (and it did). Once we got to the Shanti Lodge Koko took over and our stay went perfectly. He always knew when to check in on us and when to give us space to relax. They did a great job in making us feel like we were at home and they at our service. Every person on the staff was extremely friendly and attentive.

PROPERTY:

The property was beautiful! An oasis in the hustle and bustle of the more frequented places. A step back into the old world, I felt we had stepped outside of time here. There are forward facing and backward facing porches to lounge in so that you could choose whether to enjoy the view of the rice terraces/fields or face the other way at the horizon and scenery. This place is unlike any I've stayed in. As another reviewer commented; it's more than they expected in a good way. We thought we might do some excursions when we booked Shanti, but after our arrival all we wanted to do was indulge in the present moment and enjoy what the lodge had to offer. Lounging in the open air living area reading books or playing on the wooden xylophone... meandering over to the gorgeous private 20m infinity pool for a swim, walks around the property, watching the rain clouds roll in and out from Shanti's elevated position. As someone who was looking for an escape from a fast-paced, high-pressure lifestyle, this place is the exact escape I was looking for. When you are on the property, it's like nothing else exists. There is plenty of room to accommodate large groups and we peeked into the other rooms and found them all to be well appointed. A great place for family reunions, or groups of friends looking for a relaxing environment. Added note, my fiance early in the trip made it a point for us to go to the rice terraces near Ubud, thinking there wouldn't be others as nice; well she admitted to me that had she known how beautiful the rice terraces were at Shanti, she would have skipped the others as these were just as beautiful!

LOCATION:

The location was perfect for a getaway. Both of us were avoiding touristy areas and were in search of peace and quiet; in that respect this fit exactly what we were looking for. It's beautiful and peaceful there. I did get confused when I read a previous post about the beach being 5 min away. I misread it as walking distance, but it is clearly 5 min by motorbike (my error). The closest beach can be walked to, but it is roughly 20-30min hike/walk away. We did the walk unprepared due to my error, but thanks to that I can pass on some advice. I don't recommend flip flops as you will walk down a hill, through a rocky creek, then up another hill with knee high grass in some places before you get to a country road that will take you over towards the beach. We loved the trek, but quickly regretted wearing our beach wardrobe (flip flops, shorts, etc). Koko made sure that we were guided when we insisted on walking to the beach, but I'll add that he initially recommended giving us rides to the beach instead. Our guide was excellent by the way. He taught us about the different trees, plants, and fruits as well as other things along the way. We did take Koko up on his recommendation when we went to another beach and it was a nice and easy ride there. I think the trek is fine for kids and adults, but may become a little challenging for the elderly (depending on their level of fitness). I can't comment on nearby nightlife or cities. There was no reason to leave (we were only there 3 full days) as the ambiance is great, food was exceptional, and there was enough to keep us entertained when we got tired of lounging.

LIKED BEST OR LEAST:

Clearly I loved the whole experience. If there was anything I had to comment on improving it might be the massages. We both opted to get massages (we found out after the fact that the first one is complementary!), and although the ladies were sweet and clearly attempted to do their best, it did come a bit short of our expectations (we're not the high maintenance type either). I hate to even complain about it since it was complementary and I did still tip them well for coming out to us, but I am not sure I would do it again. This is a service they call in (I'm not sure if it's always the same people), so others may have a different experience. None of this dings Shanti as a top place to stay, but just something to keep an eye on.

FINAL NOTE:

You will not regret staying at Shanti Lodge. I've already listed it as place I want to return to visit. Count on the whole team there to operate flawlessly to make sure your arrival and departure are seamless, your stay exceptional, and your experience memorable.

Five stars, hope to visit Shanti Lodge again soon.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Anne E
Hong Kong, China
“Serenity, beauty and pleasure”
Reviewed February 1, 2016 for a stay in July 2014

I rented the place in July 2013 (not available as an option today anymore, therefore I had to put 2014 !) and travelled alone.
I have been treated like a princess, no, like a queen should I say, by the fantastic team (at least 5 or 6 people all working at the villa).
I felt so calm and relaxed in this beautifully arranged villa that I would recommend it for a retreat or a reflexion holiday. It is a bit remote but that makes it especially relaxing and peaceful.
For big families it is also ideal, with a wonderful refreshing pool, several bedrooms, the beach nearby and many things to see around.
The villa is just simply gorgeous, arranged and decorated with taste, and yet very cosy.
The food (3 meals per day !) prepared by the Chef Koko is simply delicious and the team is ready to prepare anything on demand.
What more is there to say ?
Yes the team also shows you the neighbourhood, by foot, scooter or car and brings you anywhere you want.

It is just paradise !
Making me want to go back there hopefully any day soon.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Liked best: everything
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Large groups People with pets
436pierre...
Brussels, Belgium
“Simply the Garden of Eden !”
Reviewed November 9, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

Five minutes drive from the main road of Bali and its heavy traffic ! And suddenly,behind a last bend,you discover an other world where there is no place for any kind of stress...where everything has been thought for your serenity and where you just let yourself go to your own rhythm...A few days of such Zen attitude boost you for a while...!

Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Matheo_de...
Montreal, Canada
“Bali at its finest !”
Reviewed October 28, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Shanti Lodge was the ultimate perfect stop after a month of backpacking across Indonesia!
I have been lucky enough to have traveled quite a bit and stayed in a lot of different places but Shanti Lodge has been like no others: an absolutely unique and incredible experience.
Everything is perfect and beautiful, from its bedrooms facing rice fields (showering while watching the sun rising is a must) to the magical infinity swimming pool.
The staff has been extremely kind to us; they will assist you in planning any types of excursions or even for a massage/yoga class next to the swimming pool (really worth it !).
The cook Koko is exceptionally talented, I don't think there are any words to describe how delicious and tasty every single dish is! The bread is homemade everyday and all vegetables/fruits come directly from the market.
After spending 3 days at Shanti Lodge I felt totally re-energized and relaxed, ready to start a new year!
I don't think my Indonesian trip would have been the same without the Shanti Lodge experience!
I strongly suggest to anyone staying in Bali to experience at least 1 night at Shanti Lodge, I promise you won't regret it!

Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Luanasalt...
Montreal, Canada
“A Little Moment in Paradise”
Reviewed October 26, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

Shanti Lodge is a dreamy place in the middle of rice fields and a lush forest. It is the ideal place to relax and reenergise.
The staff is amazing and the chef, 'coco', will make every single meal a true delight. Also, for surf fanatics, the house is only few minutes away from the perfect Balian Beach break.
I strongly recommend Shanti Lodge; you will not find a better place to experience the magic and beauty of the island.

Liked best: The scenery
Liked least: Nothing
Leo M
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Dream like experience, Couldn't ask for more”
Reviewed October 25, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I arrived at Shanti Lodge just after sunset. Nice light up to the buildings and kind and helpful staff's smile could tell, my stay is going to be a good one.

But I was wrong.

When I woke up, I've got slapped by this gobsmacking view. Untouched true side of bali's nature.

I could hear the cows and birds in distance made the best BGM for the morning.

I strolled towards the kitchen, was thinking about making a coffee but then this smell. Smell of the freshly toasted bread. I usually do not have a breakfast but I could not resist to eat the toasts with whatever styled eggs you could ask for and of course, fresh tropical fruits.
I still remember that I was thinking what accomplishment did I make in my life to deserve this.

After breakfast, I went over to the poolside and read my book and dipped in the pool. Big swimming pool is located on the small hill part of the property and I was looking down and found this small hut type of house. I walked over and found the nicest toilet of the lodge. I'm not joking, if you are reading this review you have got to go check the view from the toilet.

For lunch and dinner, my favorite chef of all time, Koko prepares the amazing dish. I just simply wanna hire him for my private cook. But I didn't. Not just yet. While you are staying in Shanti Lodge, do not go out for meal. Eat in.
He speaks really well english as well and he can sort you out for rental motor bike, yoga teacher delivery to the lodge, massage and many other things.

So my expectation that "my stay was gonna be a good one", I was really wrong. My stay was way beyond good, I don't know if the word exceptional would be enough to explain to you how memorable, impressed to the core and how much I fell in Love with Shanti Lodge.

If you get to meet Koko, please tell him that I said hi :)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Spacious garden and the beautiful scenery
Liked least: That I'm not the owner
Vanessa C
Bethesda, Maryland
“Picture Comfort. Open your eyes to Shanti Lodge.”
Reviewed October 24, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Peaceful, Bright, Delicious.
Shanti Lodge is the essence of comfort.
Attention to detail is core to your stay, from the stylish decor to the craft soaps.
Every meal is a culinary delight, enchanting your tastebuds without compromising your figure.
The personnel is what makes this stay exceptional. Adept mind readers, a genuine smile accompanies every request.

It is elegant, and it is pure,
It is in harmony with nature.

What truly makes this villa magical is the balance one finds at Shanti Lodge.
There is no hint of negativity, nor any feature overdone.

All I can add, is I cannot wait to return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The atmosphere of tranquility
Liked least: absolutely nothing.
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing