“Very close to 5 star but not there yet”

Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Tabanan
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family thoroughly enjoyed our Christmas holiday at Pan Pacific Nirwana. The resort and surrounding area is very nice and is a great selection for a holiday. Especially when compared to the atmosphere of Kuta. I would say it was 80% families during our stay. I would not say the resort is an elite class overall yet. Some items of the resort are elite level but there are a few items requiring some attention to detail to be elite overall. I look forward to my next visit to see if some of these details might be put in place.

PEOPLE:

Smiles and lots of them. If I could paint a picture of warmth, graciousness, humility and service it would be the faces of the staff at the Pan Pacific. The only issue I encountered with the staff was a few people and a language barrier. I have no issue with this since I am a visitor in their country so it’s really me with the language barrier. Just be patient, point to the menu item or talk to someone else on the staff if you are not able to make your request clear. Everyone I encountered really wanted to make sure we had a great time. At the pool the staff communicates via an earplug radio so you can ask anyone for anything and they work to fulfill your request immediately. The restaurants, bars and spa were also all the same, gracious and warm.

FACILITIES – GENERAL:

Inside and out the hotel is very impressive. Especially when you have to consider the maintenance headaches of being in the tropics. The resort is big and spread out but somehow doesn’t feel massive like a Las Vegas resort feels. It’s well designed into the terrain and with the golf course and ocean adjacent has a great atmosphere. The grounds are well maintained and as clean as any Disney resort. Other posts have said there are issues with cell coverage but I had 5 bars the whole time. The hotel provides wi-fi and coverage was great in the rooms and at the pool.
The view looking west over the golf course, ocean and Tanah Lot is amazing. Be sure to take a walk past the 7th green, the par 3 on the ocean with the view of the Tanah Lot Temple, for a sunset drink. If you walk past the open bars you also come into the little town. It’s a lot of T-shirt shops but worth the visit.

ROOMS:

TWO BEDROOM VILLA: With my GHA status I was able to upgrade into a two bedroom villa which was perfect since it was my wife and my two sons. It is two separate en-suite villa’s and each has an outdoor shower which is fabulous. We share a covered patio overlooking the 12th green and there is a plunge pool. The bed is very comfortable. Firm under a soft mattress topper and you sink into a deep sleep after a day in the sun. The down side of the room was the walk in closet area. It’s a large closet area with a poor closet design. Limited shelving, which should be slide out and not dark shelves which makes it hard to see what’s in the closet, and limited hangers. We took hangers from the kids villa so we had enough. The closet, bathroom and outdoor area also needs some wall pegs to hang wet items. I’m sure the hotel doesn’t want it looking like a caravan park with stuff hanging outside but to have no wall pegs to hang shorts, jeans or wet bathing suits is missing details that are needed. So make plans to deal with your wet clothing since there is nowhere to hang it up.
ONE BEDROOM VILLA: There were one bedroom villa’s near ours and they have the same outdoor shower, plunge pool and outdoor patio. They just do not have the extra villa with the two beds. Otherwise it’s exactly the same as the villa with the King bed my wife and I had.

STANDARD ROOM: I was able to get a look at a standard hotel style room and it’s like most high end hotel rooms in styling and is in the range of 350 to 400 square feet. All rooms have balconies and you get 2 chairs and a small table. Nearly all the rooms appear to have a good view of the grounds regardless of being garden, golf or pool view.

FACILITIES – RESTAURANTS:

MERICA: Open for breakfast with a better than average buffet. It’s ample and can handle the different cultural tastes at the resort but I wouldn’t call it spectacular. We had dinner here once and the service was S-L-O-W. At least three times we had to go in search of our server. Food was good but not amazing.

POOL GRILL: Overlooks the pool area and we preferred this over Merica. Everything from casual satay to steaks. Food was better, service was better and they had entertainment out here a couple nights.

SUNSET LOUNGE: Beautiful view with overpriced drinks and B-O-R-I-N-G. We made friendships with other guests and hung out here some but almost always we were the only ones there. This place needs drinks specials, maybe a small two piece band and any other ideas to get more people to the bar. Maybe the hotel needs to add some free evening activities for the kids that are supervised by the hotel to free the parents from their rooms. Add a game room nearby for the kids and that way the parents can enjoy the bar for an hour or two. Please do something if it hasn’t been tried already.
I feel the hotel charges items higher since we are so remote. For instance Christmas buffet dinner, with a lot of choices to be fair, was $80 USD per person over 12 years in age. Maybe the cost of bringing the items in for the dinner requires this amount per guest but it just seems very high. Overall prices are higher than usual in Bali.

FACILITIES – POOL AND BEACH:

There is no swimmable beach and given the garbage issue on Bali you wouldn’t want to try. The pool grounds are amazing. Multiple levels, water slides, waterfalls and activities on your own. There are loungers and day beds but be warned, if occupancy is high you could get stuck on the grass without a lounger. I cannot believe that I saw guests on towels and handed out cushions on the grass terraces because there are not enough loungers and beds. This is another one of those detail items. In my mind you are not five star resort if you cannot accommodate people with loungers or day beds. The management would of heard from me loud and clear if I was provided a cushion and towel with instructions to sit on the grass.
The hotel also needs to add more daily activities. We were there a week and there was one hour with water aerobics and music. Again, not looking to go overboard with action but the pool area needs more life and music. These activities are also a great way for your guests to meet one another and then we socialize, drink and eat more. It’s a win-win. We have more fun and the hotel gets more revenue.

FACILITIES – SPA:

My wife loved the spa and the tour I took thru the spa looked lovely. She had an aromatherapy message and was very happy. The friends we made while there did a treatment about every other day and said the service and quality was exceptional.

FACILITIES - GOLF:

The golf course is fantastic. Brilliant layout and tougher than average but a very fair course. Green fee is $175 USD and includes the cart and caddie. The tip for the caddie is not included and should be no less than 150,000.
FACILITIES – KIDS CLUB:
My kids are too old for the Kids Club but this looked very nice and was well used by families. There is an outdoor climbing course with a zip line that is attended to by someone and very safe. There is also a rock wall with the same attention to safety. The club had activities like tie-dye and games. You can also sign your kids up for a turtle release.

I would choose to go to the Pan Pacific Nirwana again and if you choose to stay here I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

4  Thank Patrick37064

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was looking for a place to stay near the famous Tanah Lot temple to capture its magnificent sunset when I found this hotel. At first, I was hesitant because this hotel is far (about at least an hour drive) from the usual fun-packed Kuta. I was thinking that we might get bored if we're going to stay for several days coz of its isolation.. but man!! I was wrong.. and thankfully, we proceeded to book two ocean view rooms for five of us. And it didn't end there. We're surprised to find out that our rooms were upgraded to executive suites free of charge :) When we arrived after more than an hour drive from the airport, we were all greeted by the hotel's very friendly staffs. Then I immediately noticed how vast the place is. Lush gardens are everywhere with several foot paths leading to the resort's restaurants, pools and lagoons, and the golf course in the distance. I said to myself this is a perfect vacation resort for couples and families with little kids. And since the resort is situated on an elevated terrain, you will have a magnificent view of the sea and the famous Tanah Lot temple.

Not only the resort's vicinity is huge.. but so with our rooms, the executive suites. It has a spacious and well-lighted living room and master bedroom with a view of the open sea. Complimentary fruits and a platter of imported chocolates were neatly arranged on the center table. Even the marbled bathroom next to the master's is so spacious that you can even put another queen-sized bed inside :) What even more relaxing is having your good night sleep in the warmth of soft beds and pillows.. and taking your breakfast on outside tables by the next morning feeling the gentle slap of cool sea breeze on your face. Definitely, my main choice of hotel on future Bali visits.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ILuvTravel713
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I and our 2 year old boy stayed 8 nights in a standard room.
The resort itself is a little away from it all, which we loved, so if you're wanting the hustle and bustle of clubs and nightlife this place is not for you. The first thing you notice when you arrive is how big this place is. It's basically a little city in its own right. That's not to say that it feels busy, hardly, many times we were left wondering where was everyone as we enjoyed parts of the pool all by ourselves. The staff are all lovely and the gardens, golf course, ponds/pools and ocean view make the setting absolutely wonderful.
Our first hickup was that the room was two single beds and no cot. You would think a booking made for two adults and a toddler, one bed and a cot would be the normal setup. Anyway it was easy fixed by a room change although our new room definitely did not have a good a view and location as the first.
The rooms are nice and basically what you would expect, nothing to blow you away but very nice. The hotel DOES (some people have reviewed saying they don't) provide free water but only two small bottles. They are refreshed daily and you can request more but for a hot climate to only provide two small bottles free and charge ridiculous prices on the other large bottles in the room was just poor PR.
The swimming pools are fantastic and where we spent most of our days. They are set up in that lots of people can be using them but because they are multi leveled and oddly shaped they do not feel crowded at all. The day beds and lounges positioned around the pool are great to set up camp in and food and drink can be ordered from the roaming staff. The pools have two slides, the small one about 15 meters long that our two year old could take on his own (with some close attendance). The large one is great fun and what you would expect at any adventure park. A word of warning though as the pools and slides are not monitored all the time and there was a drowning of a Thai lady while we were staying.
The restaurants are lovely, over priced for Bali but cheap for Australia. There is enough variation between them to keep you from saturation. There are also a some local restaurants nearby that we enjoyed. Depot Dini and also a couple of restaurants at Tanah Lot (the temple) provide the local cheap fare. You can walk to them or just take a free car. There are also a couple of small shops not far from the front gates to stock up on supplies (Water, coke, chips etc, I don't usually mind paying for the mini bar but the prices were just rude) Breakfast was wonderful and lots of options were provided from local fare to sushi to pastries to western fare.
The golf course looks great, If you are a regular player then bring your clubs because you will want to play.
Shuttles to and from Seminyak and Kuta leave daily but if you don't want to wait for a shuttle back the taxi only costs about 150 000 Rupiah ($15 ausie)
The ocean is not really a swimming beach and most of it is cliffs but you can get down to some small beaches. On the southern side of the resort a small river meets the ocean and was a good spot to let the kid have a bit of an explore. You can also walk to Tannah Lot along the beach/rocks (not sure what tide it was at the time sorry)
Checking out revealed a few charges from the minibar that we never used, 10 dollars for a bottle of water (told you the mini bar prices were rude)and a few other things. I had to sign a statement and the charges were reversed but a little bit of a hassle. Upon returning home i noticed that the hotel had charged me out check out fee and also an extra 7 million rupiah ($700). The first phone call i was told it would be looked into and then i received and email saying it would be all fixed and a few other emails have gone back and forth but as of yet 21 days later the fees have yet to be returned. Not Happy!

So to conclude we did enjoy ourselves and the hotel is lovely however there were just enough annoyances to subtract from the overall enjoyment. Will other people have the same rogue credit card charges, probably not, but we did.

4  Thank Ben S
IvanCasadevall, General Manager at Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Pan Pacific Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Pan Pacific Nirwana Resort in Bali and sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We value your time and energy since our guests' perspective is very important to us and so is your constructive feedback, for our team as well as for readers and visitors from all around the world alike.
First of all, I would like to highlight your very detailed positive ratings in relation to our resort location, beautiful setting of our amazing 103-hectare property that makes you feel that ‘you are in your own city’ and also our award winning golf course as well as our lovely staff. On the other hand, it is with much regret that I have acknowledged your disappointing feedback about your billing upon check out. Please accept our most sincere apologies for all inconveniences caused on behalf of all our associates.

Thank you for your comments about our complimentary bottles of water in the room and for everyone’s reference, we are more than happy to provide additional bottles of water for our guest convenience upon request. In fact we have recently increased our provision of complimentary water in the room up to 4 bottles in each room, regardless of the category. In regards to Mini Bar pricing, we feel that we are very competitive amongst other five stars resorts in Bali, bearing in mind that we only provide selections of premium brands. In any case, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we shall continue to look into this area as it is important to our guests.

With regards to our wonderful water slides, it has to be said that we are very proud of our swimming pool areas, which offer multiple layers of fun as well as tranquility matching every different guest expectation, whether you are on a romantic getaway or on holidays with the family; amongst the Bali residents, it is one of the best family friendly swimming pools on the island as it provides safety and security, being of paramount importance to our professional recreations team. Having said that, I would like everyone to note that your statement about the Thai lady drowning in our swimming pool is not true. I would also like to add that we have never had any serious incident related to the water slides.

In regards to your billing mistakes we have advised our team to be more diligent and we have learnt from your feedback. I believe our finance team is already in touch with you to sort out the refund issue and it should be settled very soon. Should it not be the case, please feel free to contact me personally.

Once again, thank you for sharing your point of view with our readers, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay and please contact our Director of Rooms romy.mansoer@panpacific.com or me directly on ivan.casadevall@panpacific.com and we will make sure that you will truly enjoy our resort experience.

Look forward to welcome you back very soon to Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort.

With kind regards

Ivan Casadevall

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have just returned from a family holiday at Pan Pacific Bali and have probably had the best holiday ever. There is nothing that I could fault on the resort and special mention should be made to the wonderful staff who went out of their way to ensure we had a memorable holiday.

Particular thanks go to Guy Owen, the F&B Director who assisted by husband in organising THE MOST ROMANTIC DINNER that I have ever experienced. We dined alone (kids were being babysat by the kids club) on the tee-off for the 13th hole, overlooking the beautiful Indian Ocean. It is something that will be hard to top and a moment in time I will treasure forever.

The resort itself is wonderful, with cascading pools that provide quite areas plus the ever popular waterslides that amused our kids for hours on end.

Every meal was excellent and every drink was icy cold. The cost of dining was very affordable and I was particularly impressed with the kids menu and attention given to the family, always bringing the children's meals out immediately.

The day spa is stunning and I highly recommend booking in for at least one massage.

We also managed to have a free tour of the gold course, with one of the golf pro's who gave insightful anecdotes into some colourful famous golfers as well as some history to the course.

I enjoyed the fact that this resort was away from Seminyak and the general hustle and bustle, but easily reached by affordable private taxi.

Room Tip: If travelling with children, it is well worth booking a family room, with small bunk beds.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am a 15 year resident of Bali and have been to many of the top hotels on the island. I just recently spent the weekend at the Pan Pacific and it was beyond compare. First of all the property is absolutely fabulous with extensive lush gardens and the BEST VIEWS in Bali. The hotel is a family dream with such a great pool with waterslides for the kids that keep them laughing and playing all day. It is also a parents dream because around the pool is so peaceful and you can sit all day and watch the kids while you are relaxing. The restaurants are delicious and the service is what I thought was extraordinary. During my stay every person that works there went above and beyond to be friendly, polite and offer their service. We went bike riding around the property, we introduced my wife and 7 year old son to hitting golfballs, we stayed in a family room with bunkbeds in an alcove for the kids to sleep. Awesome all around!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the family room if you have kids, they loved having the bunkbeds to themselves and let us wa...
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We are currently staying at the Pan Pacific for 10 days and it is a wonderful hotel. You couldn't ask for anything better. There are four restaurants and the best pools with two water slides that has kept our daughter, 8 and us entertained for hours. The service from all the staff is excellent and they are very friendly and nothing is too hard. The family room is spacious for the three of us. The only down side is the bunk bed for children is only 120cm long. Our daughter is 140cm long. She hasn't complained too much (just occasionally). I would recommend that the bed be changed to the standard size to accommodate western children. The hotels location is a long way from the nearest shops. About a one hour drive in traffic to Seminyak. It's not too bad though as we wanted something that was quite, away from the busyness of Bali with some sort of separate sleeping area. Great place to stay if you want a very relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: If staying in a family room be aware that the kids bed is only 120cm long.
2  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed December 26, 2013

All staff are very professional and super good English communication. I checked again, totally around 900 employees, golf team included. We stayed at Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort for 5 days, they even have 5 restaurants. The area of Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort is so big, amazing.

Room Tip: My room 336 , the opposite of one swimming pool. Every room has good view, since this hotel is a par...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
#2 of 40 in Canggu
The Legian Bali
The Legian Bali
#8 of 148 in Seminyak

Been to Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort? Share your experiences!