“Absolutely wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rumah Desa Balinese Home and Cooking Studio
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Tabanan
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Balinese Food & Cooking Class StudioRumah Desa means house in the village. Our house is located really in a tranquil village with very charming nature at the surrounding. Here you can experience the authentic Balinese life in the village and explore the garden with its various tropical plants. Rumah Desa was constructed with following Balinese building regulation, the so called "asta kosala kosali". It is very important to build house by following this regulation to keep the harmonious relation among nature, human beings and god.Rumah Desa was built to empower and develop the village through our programs. All activities we organize are aimed to develop our village and encourage the young generation in developing their capability. To support the society in the village we also use the houses of villagers for your overnight.Our concept is to create job opportunity for the villagers in order to increase their life standard, and to train young generation for a better capability. We expect that our people in Bali are ready to face the globalism, especially in the tourism business. Rumah Desa organizes some programs which are held in the village of Baru, in the Marga district of Tabanan, Bali. We invite you to experience the unique and authentic, culture, art, wisdom, rites and philosophy of Bali through our programs. And it is about one hour drive from International airport or 30 minutes from Ubud.
“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I had an absolutely wonderful day!

In the beginning I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it turned out to be great.

We started off at a local market where we bought some of the groceries for our cooking class. Very interesting since it was a real local market, no tourists or souvenirs and our guide was great cause he was answering all our questions about fruit and vegetable that were new to us and had a little walk around explaining a few things.

After that we went to the little village where the cooking class took place. The drive was simply great - off the beaten tourist trek, down little side roads, through rice terraces and past little temples. It was like seeing the real Bali, not only the touristy shops and the noisy and busy main roads.

When we arrived we had a wander through the family home of our guide who explained us about daily life on Bali and traditional living, we had a look at some rooms and met a few family members doing their daily work. The garden part you walk through to get to the kitchen in which we were cooking was simply stunning. So lush and green as everywhere on Bali but they basically grow everything they need there.

Then we had a quick lesson of the Balinese alphabet and got our names written in Balinese on little palm leaves to take home - which is a great little souvenir in itself...

The cooking part was great too, very interesting for me having a hospitality background but even for the two home cooks that were part of the group - which made it even better, we were only three people!

We started off with chopping some stuff but most of it was prepared for us since we cooked quite a few dishes. With our small group it was hands on and everyone was constantly involved in the cooking. Our chef,as well as our tour guide were great, spoke really good German and English and made it a great day. He even left his email addresses in our little recipe guides in case any questions come up while cooking back home!

Needless to say that our cooked food was our lunch and it was so yummy too. And it really caters for everyone...

After lunch we went for a walk deeper into the family property which was rain forest like with a little creek running trough it.
Simply amazing, they had even more coffee, bananas, snakeskin fruit and heaps of other stuff growing there. Our tour guide really seemed to enjoy himself sharing all this with us what made it even more special.

Out of all tours I did while I was in Bali this was by far the best. I can absolutely recommend it.

Two more things at this point. I was a bit concerned about eating home made food in Bali but with this tour there's no need to worry since everything was really clean. The other thing is that I took my bracelet off for the cooking class and put it in the pocket of my apron - and surely I forgot to take it home...I realized it the next morning and our tourist guide in the hotel rang them up and they dropped my bracelet off at the hotel the next morning.

So really it was a great experience, not just during the day but even afterwards cause they cared enough to drop my bracelet off...
Definitely the best tour I did on Bali!

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank Gieskanne

Bucharest, Romania
“Best thing about our trip to Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The best experience we had in Bali was this day trip. From the moment we got picked up from the hotel till we got back we had a wonderful time with amazing people. We learned so many things not only about cooking and spices, but about Bali and its people ...and we had such a great time we will never forget this day! Loved every minute, the trip to the market was also a nice experience! Just go for it!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank ioana_rm
Denpasar, Indonesia
“AUTHENTIC BALINESE FOOD EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

It is really worth the effort to attend to this location in Bali. I came
away with a deeper understanding of how the Balinese cooks can
vary their product by changing a few herbs and spices - often
grown in the family compound and picked, chopped and cooked
as needed ---- so, always very fresh food is served to the family.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Gwen K
Tugun, Australia
“True Taste of Balinese Life YOU MUST DO THIS!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We decided to stay overnight and do the 2 days overnight with activity and cooking class option. It was our first time in Bali and I couldn't think of a better way to start to learn about Bali. Rumah Desa arrange all transfers to and from Rumah Desa from either your hotel or airport.

We arrived to the most beautiful ginger and rosella tea and cool towel. We were greeted by Wayan and shown to our villa within Rumah Desa. Part of the village of Marga directly surrounded by beautiful trees and Ganesh and various other statues.

Wayan showed us our room which was 5 star quality. Huge bath tub with rainfall shower head. Hot and cold water and king size bed. Wayan then showed us through the family compound where we saw various family members going about daily life included weaving offering baskets and the family temple at the front of the compound.

We then had an awesome lunch. Then off to try our hand at making coconut oil. We started with trying to get the coconuts out the of husk and cracking them open to get the white flesh out. Grandma showed us exactly how to do with it ease. We then watched Grandma grate the coconut and create coconut milk and then onto the coconut oil process. This would an hour or so to complete so we went for a walk to the rice fields.

The walk is beautiful through a gorge and over a river and up the other side to the rice paddies where we tried to plant some rice. It was so much fun and our rows weren't very straight but we were proud of our efforts. Then we went for a drive to see the rest of the fields in the surrounding areas. Just the most beautiful drive I have ever been on.

Then back to the compound to freshen up before a gorgeous dinner and onto to a special ceremony as part of the lead up to Nyepi. We were dressed in traditional Balinese costumes and allowed to bring the offering to the village temple. We were even allowed to enter the temple and join in during the giving of the offering which we felt very priviledged as this was the first time that foreigners were permitted to be a part of this ceremony before.

We gave our offerings which Wayan and Ketut explained what to do and when and why we were giving our offerings. We were also blessed with holy water from the temple and were blessed with rice. We made the locals giggle at our awkwardness and had a great time and learnt so much.

The next day we went to the market to get our ingredients for our 21 course cooking class. We were joined by some other lovely ladies from America for the class and had a ball learning about all the spices and preparing the all the food.

We then all sat down to eat the fruits of our labour and enjoyed every bite. I have never eaten so well in my life. We were so happy and learnt so much we bought our aprons and t shirts for memories.

We really did a great start to our holiday and totally recommend the experience to everyone whether you've been to Bali before or not. It's not something you will find in any hotel or resort anywhere and as close to living in a real village as you can get.

We had so much fun and learnt so much we took it everywhere we went for the rest of our holiday in Bali. The family were so friendly and inviting and wanting to show you their way of life without expecting you to buy trinkets or other things like elsewhere in Bali. They want to genuinely show you because you want to know.

I hope that if I ever return to Bali I know that I will be spending a night to catch up with some of the most genuine and beautiful people I have ever met.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank RozJones
Bundaberg, Australia
“Spirituality, culture and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

In Oct 2011 my sister and I were taken to Rumah Desa for lunch as part of a spiritual tour of Bali. We were so taken by the beautiful environment , the hospitality and the food that our guide Wayan cooked for us that we had to return a few days later for a cooking class. Our host at Rumah Desa on both days was Tople Made and Wayan was our teacher and inspiration. It was a magic day and we were proud that our creations were not only enjoyed by us but also by a group of German tourists who came for lunch. We spent 11 days in Bali did lots of touristy things, including the Ubud writers festival but the time spent at Rumah Desa were the highlight of our stay. Thank you to Rumah Desa and Wayan and Made. Anne C

Visited October 2011