All reviews spring water buddha bungalow harvest bungalow rice paddies basket weaving permaculture garden cooking class making coconut reading lights flowing water organic food self guided local community my favorite place vegetable garden magical place mountain biking
Reviewed August 28, 2016

If your looking for some quiet time to reconnect with nature Bali Eco will most definitely do that and way more.My husband and I spent 3 nights here recently and loved every aspect of our stay. We stayed in the Buddha Bungalow right beside the quickly flowing creek so relaxing . Each bungalow is unique and situated to give everyone maximum privacy.We walked through rice paddies , tropical fruit gardens and saw how coffee grows in this area.
The girls in the restaurant really lovely and prepare fabulous fresh ,delicious meals,using the many ingredients grown organically on the property.
We indulged in a hot rock massage soooo good !
If it's a Bali experience in a magical location you are looking for John,Agung and the staff have thought of everything to make your stay memorable .

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon F
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2016

Hi Sharon,
Thanks so much for your great review and so glad that you got to experience this gorgeous part of Bali with is wonderful warm hearted locals.
I feel so blessed to live and work here, i pinch myself some days to make sure it all real !
Trust you both can make it back one day.
All the best from all of us.

Reviewed August 21, 2016

Stunning area, really really good food. Very family friendly. Highly recommended! Our kids really enjoyed learning how to make traditional arts and crafts with 'granddad' and grandma' and playing with the other kids there. The rainforest food walk was amazing too - we picked and ate fresh cacao and other delights.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2016

Hello Mattontour,
Thanks so much for your review,we really appreciate it. Our grandad ( Kakek ) is the most wonderful guy we love him very much and he is so engaging with the kids and always makes such a special effort with them. So glad your kids got to experience him.
Happy travels and all the best from all of us at Bali Eco Stay.

Reviewed August 21, 2016

What an amazing piece of paradise. I stayed in the Springwater bungalow and was absolutely blown away with the beauty, tranquillity and quality of the accommodation. I have never experience anything so amazing in my life and travels. I certainly did not want to leave after the peaceful experience of nature and the perfect way John has incorporated the accommodation into its beauty. I embraced eating cleansing and fresh food created with love from the girls in the kitchen with food grown in their own garden. There was absolutely nothing I would change. John the owner and his local staff were so friendly and amazing and I would definitely recommend this experience to anyone who would respect and enjoy such beauty and tranquillity.

Room tip: Every bungalow is located separate from each with the space to really enjoy the natures and privacy
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank megs76

Hi Megs,
So glad you had such a wonderful experience staying with us. We all really enjoyed your company and all your positive input. It was such a pleasure getting to know you and i loved our little chats.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.
Wishing you all the very best.

Reviewed August 19, 2016

Can't get enough of this place. It has everything. Unspoilt landscape and wonderful views. Unique bungalows set wide apart for maximum privacy. Pure spring water running where ever you walk. Organic gardens where you can see the plants getting bigger each day. Beautiful rice field walks, food forest walks where you see coffee ripening as well as cacao, durian, mangosteen, coconut and more. The waterfalls where a refreshing swim is a must. The pure air,so refreshing. The altitude with its cooler temperatures. The delicious food and drink. The very cold Bintang and the home made ice cream.Last but should be first are the people who run this place and make this resort even better. Thank you Agung and Mini for your friendship and care. Thank you all staff for looking after us so well.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2016

Hi Birdie,
Wow ! What can we say but we must be doing something right ! So great to have you two back again, we all look forward to your visits and everyone enjoys the long chats and friendship gained over the years.
Now very special friends.
Warmest,

Reviewed August 10, 2016 via mobile

I so want to be able to give Bali Eco Stay 4 stars and I can understand why some people might do 4 or even 5.

It is set in a beautiful place and so well integrated into the local ecosystem and culture. Very very relaxing. The food was absolutely delicious and the restaurant staff very friendly. The lower waterfall, while quite a difficult trek back to the bungalows if you don't want to do the full 3 hour red route is wonderful - quite spectacular and we had it all to ourselves.

My observations that bring my rating down are:

1. We were a family of five and while we had checked in advance and told unfortunately due to timing we would not be able to visit the local schools martial arts class we would be able to do the cooking class. When we tried to arrange it in the restaurant we were told we could only do a maximum of 2 or maybe 3 of us. We asked about wood carving but were again told it is a maximum of 3 people at a time. The only activities we could do all together on-site were walking the 2 trails which we did (see above about waterfall).

2. On their recommendation EcoStay arranged transport for us from Canggu and back but I found this rather expensive compared to other Bali transport. It was 900,000 IDR return for a journey that was 1hr 45mins there and 1hr 15mins back.

3. Some Other reviewers make reference to the food being relatively expensive and I agree. It WAS delicious but dinner was by far the most expensive meal we have had (c. 1m IDR for 5 of us - most we paid elsewhere was 700,000 in big modern resort in Berawa) Yes the prices are clearly listed but I don't think there are options to eat anywhere else within miles of Eco Stay.

4. The restaurant staff were lovely but other welcome and communication was pretty functional. We had booked a 2 night stay (minimum stay) but we decided to cut it short and leave after just one. This was partly because one of my teenage daughters was uncomfortable about how close to nature the bedrooms were - this was a risk I knew we were running - and partly because one of my other daughters felt very unwell. I informed the office of our decision and the reasons. I acknowledged that I expected no money back but I also got no enquiries as to my daughters health or if she needed anything. The manager (don't know his name - he didn't introduce himself) just asked what time we wanted transport back. To be fair he did waive the 1.5% credit card commission on payment of the bill (but transport cost did catch me by surprise)

On most of the above I have focused on specific negatives but I want to stress that there is a feeling that this is something of a special place in a beautiful setting. The good reviews cover better than I can the positives of it. perhaps a group of 5 is too big and perhaps we caught the reception manager on a bad day.

3 stars is not meant as a negative review - if there was 3.5 I'd give it.

Trip type: Traveled with family
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2016

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for your review and our sincere apologies that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as you would have hoped.

We do understand that our idea of being immersed in nature can be confronting for some and having a sick child is always distressing, we trust she is feeling better now.

We will certainly look into why as a family you could not all do a cooking class,this was not accommodating for you,our apologies but with a maximum number for the carving class this is due to safety reason due to sharpness of knives and detailed individual instruction.

We do offer many activities that you could have all done together for example coconut oil making,traditional Balinese offering making,mat making, basket making,flute making,we have 5 other guided walks available as well as 3 different graded walks up through the rainforest and to summit Mount Batukaru.

Our food is produced organically, we use pasture feed chicken and line caught fish which does add to the costs of production,our prices are in line with similar quality restaurants in Ubud, your dinner bill came to $76 for 5 guests including main meals, deserts and drinks.

Transfer costs were $69 for 6-7 hours driving for the local village driver and his car for 5 guests plus luggage which is fairly standard for Bali.

Unfortunately your daughters illness must have been lost in translation as none of our staff knew she was ill. We take guest health very seriously, and know how to treat the most common ailments with traditional remedies and have a local nurse on hand for more complex cases.

Pak Agung in our office is the manager and land owner and is a very quiet,soft and caring individual and takes great pride in his business,staff,guests and property. Admittedly he is not your usual Balinese with that huge beaming infectious smile.

Trust you enjoyed the rest of your stay on this beautiful island and all the best to you and your family.