“Perfect start to our honeymoon”
Review of Soori Bali

Soori Bali
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Tabanan
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We loved the secluded and beautiful location/setting - the view of the beach from everywhere in the hotel is gorgeous and so relaxing. We saw the most spectacular sunset over the ocean / temple on the rocks on our first night - wow.

We splurged a little for the first two nights of our honeymoon on an oceanfront pool villa (after marrying the day before in Canggu). TOTALLY WORTH IT. The villa was simply amazing. You can jump into the decent sized pool from almost anywhere in the villa, the oversized (and very comfortable) bed looks over the pool / ocean, and there are awesome oversized day beds inside and outside.

Details such as candles throughout our villa, generous sized treats from the spa (body lotions etc) and the gorgeous petal arrangements and lit candles we returned to after dinner on our last night only added to the experience. (So did the gorgeous honeymoon cake we received on our first night - delicious!)

The staff were amazing - little things like, we had turned up with our wedding cake leftovers and they they immediately put it in the fridge when we arrived and the following afternoon we asked to have it and they delivered to our room with coffee, and they cut it up nicely and presented it. I even had my bouquet which they promptly placed in a vase.

We did one of the hotel 'journey's by Alila' - we just wanted a half day tour among villages to get out and see the area, get a bit of exercise etc. The view on the way was beautiful and you got a real taste for traditional Bali village life. Our guide walked us through rice paddies / rainforest and we finished with a tasty Nasi Goreng lunch at the Eco Villas. On the pricey side but you literally just turned up - they thought of water, snacks and everything and it included a decent lunch.

We also had a private breakfast on the beach, which was lovely.

Our host was attentive, knowledgeable, so lovely and friendly - he ensured we had the perfect amount of support to ensure we enjoyed our stay and had everything we could possibly want.

The restaurants in the hotel are excellent - we went to the Indonesian one the first night and had the tasting menu which was perfect for two people to try a variety of dishes, and the second night had the degustation menu with matching wines at the Western-style restaurant Ombak. The food was excellent but with generous portions of rich food, towards the end we couldn't finish it all!

The cocktail lounge area is great too where you can also watch sunset - I had possibly the best martini I've ever had there, it was a Greygoose martini with blue cheese stuffed olives - the balance of both drink and olives was sublime.

We wish we could have stayed for longer and cannot wait to return! Next time I hope to have some time to try the spa. Thank you to all the Alila Soori staff for making our stay so special and memorable!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Oceanfront pool villa - expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LieneDelforce

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just came back from a two night stay at Alila Soori and I have to say I am in love with it.

This trip is part business, part vacation and everything simply exceeds my expectation - room, food, spa, services. I stayed at the mountain view pool villa and although I was offered an upgrade to the ocean view, I declined as I am really looking forward to the tranquility of the paddy fields. Villa is huge, great pool, nice bathroom. villa host is outstanding, nothing is too much for him yet he respect your privacy. During breakfast everyday, my host would check in with me to help me book spa treatments, excursions etc.

Had dinner twice at Ombak, first night I tried the signature menu and the second night a la carte. the Signature menu is gorgeous, but it's just a lot of food. (and I am not a small eater!). I can only finished half of my PBNJ molten cake. The second night I tried the jackfruit ice-cream, which is great for a jackfruit lover like me.

Breakfast is also another highlight for this establishment. They have a "tasting menu" concept which allows you to try everything from scrambled duck egg with pork belly to whisky cured salmon with crepe. Everything is delightful. It's simply the best breakfast I have ever had.

Alila Soori is no doubt my favorite of among all the resort hotels and villas I have stayed around the world. I look forward to going back next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KcatHK
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for the second time. We always missed with view and comfortably of this hotel. Since have much privacy and peacefull, hearing sound of nature, absolutely from wave. Even there was a long trip to the villa, a journey so wonderful, when you could enjoying village and rice fields views. View of this villa so amazing, beautiful black sparkling sandy beach with high tide. Stayed here always have good new memories. Thank you to all nice and friendly staff who serve and helping us to fulfill our needs. Especially General Manager, Marco Groten, thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for the second time at the Alila Soori. Though as everyone says it is far off (which is true) that is exactly the reason why we went there again. My family and I (2 adults and 2 young children) love the spacious and extremely well-maintained villas, the positive energy of the surroundings. The design, the comfy beds, the atmosphere and lighting at night are top. Our hosts Pak Ketut and Pak Satria were very attentive and highly professional and always at your service. The In-Villa dining offers a great selection of Indonesian as well as Western dishes, though the portions could be a little bit bigger ;-). Thanks to all @ Alila Soori!

Room Tip: Definitely book an Ocean pool or Beach pool villa
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Although this hotel is a long way from the hustel and bustle of bali, it really is amazingly set out and finished off. Beautiful grounds, an amazing black sand beach and great pools with views to die for. For the luxury traveller this could be one of only hotels in bali that deserves a 5 star rating

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jace1979
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our second visit so we had high expectations and we were again not disappointed. We enjoyed the changes to the restaurant menus and our host, Angga. kept us busy with various trips including white water rafting and the rice experience, first time I have ridden a cow! All the staff we met were very helpfull and nothing was too much trouble. Lots of smiles.

Just a great place ti unwind/relax and enjoy the setting. The waves can be quite spectacular.

One to visit again.

Room Tip: We had a sea view villa set back from the beach, very quiet location with a view of the peninsular.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve j
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in one of the Ocean Pool Villas, a rather significant upgrade from the Beach Pool Villas on the ground floor (under ours). The expansive villa covered about 2,900 sq. ft., which includes both indoor and outdoor living spaces, and there can be no doubt -- it's a stunning place. Well-designed, sort of Asian and minimalist, yet still warm and inviting. Great balance. The pounding, crashing sound of the waves on the black sand beach is unending, a wonderful aural backdrop to our stay here. We could access the beach through a private entrance point and what a beach it was. Only really usable at low tide, the black volcanic sand was as soft as talc, thanks to that non-stop pounding surf. Though Soori is far from all the hustle and bustle of South Bali, the location is admittedly mesmerizing. If you're looking for a quiet sanctuary-like getaway, this is a fine choice.

Cannot say enough good things about the food at every occasion -- breakfast, dinner, in-room dining, you name it, everything we had was top-notch. The chef and his team here produce high-quality fare that is gorgeously presented. The six-course degustation menu we had for dinner (it changes frequently) was simply outstanding. We left the restaurant pleasantly full -- not stuffed, for the portion sizes are small, focusing more on quality rather than quantity -- and entirely satisfied. The prices for this dinner (Rp. 600-700K++, exclusive of drinks) are a bit less than you'd expect to pay in a good American restaurant with a culinary team of this caliber.

Surprisingly, breakfast isn't included in the room rate, a relative uncommon thing in Bali, where even the cheapest losmens include a nice morning brekkie. Not sure what that's all about, but you sort of think that when you're shelling out some US$900 a night for a villa (which includes Bali's exorbitant 21% tax and service charge), they'd throw you a bone and not charge another $50 a day for two breakfasts. However, the breakfast is admittedly pretty great (basically an all-you-can-eat a'la carte offering), though a champagne option would be appreciated, particularly at that price point.

In-room dining was good, as well. Prices are fairly reasonable, all things considered, and the villa's private outdoor deck overlooking the Indian Ocean is a superlative dining venue.

We opted for the "Kopi Luwak" journey, priced at a preposterous Rp.700,000 per person. Now, I don't get this. There is very little additional cost incurred as a result of two people going rather than one. This journey, one of 12 the villas offer, was absolutely not worth Rp.1.4 million (plus 21%, mind you). The scenery was very nice, but we got only a tiny cup of the rare coffee, which frankly isn't any good at all. (It's a great testament to the power of marketing and hype that people line up to pay exorbitant sums of money for coffee that gets pooped out of a small mammal and doesn't even taste particularly good.) You're of course offered the great opportunity to pay staggering prices for take-home pouches of either this rubbishy coffee or some of the much better teas offered. The hyper-inflated prices of the little stand's inventory likely surpassed the entire value of the village in which it was situated. Do not take this "journey." After reading up on this coffee, however, and learning how horribly civets are treated in the quest to make more coffee (though the ones we saw seemed to be treated okay), I'm actually kind of surprised Alila, which purports to be eco-friendly, even offers such a tour. If I had it to do over again, I'd choose differently.

The spa here is extraordinary, to the point of me feeling it was a shame I had to spend so much of my time there face-down on the massage table with my eyes closed! The liberal use of stone, dark wood, and water make the spa a place of elegant beauty. And the array of spa products is simply dizzying. Spa junkies will be in heaven here, no doubt.

Speaking of which, even the toiletries and bath products stocked in the villas here are beyond belief. I've never seen such a prolific range of good products in ANY property. From all the expected bath goodies to things like volcanic soap, exfoliating rice bran soap, bubble bath, SPF30 sunscreen, after-sun cooling gel, lip balm, tanning oil, face misters, and much more -- a lot of it in different "his" and "her" formulations, too -- the insane array of toiletries makes the villa even more stunning. There is a huge tub for two with direct access to the pool, making for a fun exercise of going from the hot water of the bath to the cool water of the pool (and back again)! There are both indoor and outdoor showers, separate sinks and wardrobes, candles everywhere, and more than enough space. Oddly, the bath towels and bathmats were of fairly mediocre "Holiday Inn" quality, not quite a caliber befitting this villa. The face towels were much more plush and soft. Mineral water in designer bottles is supplied daily, and a Nespresso coffee machine is furnished with plenty of coffees and excellent quality TWG teabags, too. Sadly, our luck with the coffee machine was not good and it took Alila three times to get us one that worked properly.

There are two Samsung LCD TVs, one in the living room, one in the bedroom. The one in the living room has Apple TV and it's preloaded with plenty of movies, documentaries, music, you name it. Brilliant. Of course there's a full minibar with all the requisite goodies. Three different sizes of coffee cups for your pleasure, and Schott Zwiesel stemware if you choose to have some wine in your villa. Classy. An iPod-docking alarm clock was provided, too, though it did not provide charging to my 4th Gen iPod touch, strangely enough. Sound quality was not that great, but better than nothing.

A word about the bed: exquisite. A few more words: everything was perfect from the mattress to the topper (it seemed to have one) to the pillows to the linens. What a splendidly comfortable bed, goodness.

Service was never really quite up to par with what you'd expect at this level. My thought is, if you want to play with the industry leaders and charge these prices, you really need polished, discreet, professional-caliber service standards. Alila missed the boat at nearly every turn. It was never that the service was bad, mind you, it just wasn't transparent and good. Anyone can build a stunning property, but what really sets the top dogs apart from the rest of the pack is a level of anticipatory, personal service that leaves the guest wanting for nothing. Alila never really managed that, which can really only come down to staff selection and training. To reiterate, the service was never bad, and at times was quite decent, particularly at reception, where we were most warmly welcomed. But it never surpassed (or even touched) expectations. It was distinctly 3.5-star service, if I had to rate it. Acceptable, not extraordinary.

That said, I would still certainly recommend Alila Villas Soori to anyone, so long as their expectations are realistic. Look at a map first -- this place is nowhere near anything. It's an hour at best to the northern fringes of the Kuta-Legian-Seminyak conurbation. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact. For many of the people who stay here, I reckon, that relative isolation is exactly what they're after. If that's the case, you'll love this property. We did. The location is stunning, the property itself is world-class, and if the service was just more polished, this place would be sublime, a true leader in Bali's burgeoning luxury villa collection. As it stands now, it's still very good and worthy of a visit from anyone seeking tranquility and escape.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank chadley25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Legian Bali
The St. Regis Bali Resort
Alila Villas Uluwatu
Alila Villas Uluwatu
#1 of 9 in Uluwatu

Been to Soori Bali? Share your experiences!