“My most sumptuous, charming and romantic experience yet”
Review of Soori Bali

Soori Bali
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Tabanan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed in both Alila Ubud and Alila Soori for a total of 7 days and the experience was nothing less than amazing. We wanted a holiday where we could both relax and also be immersed in the Bali's culture and nature. Alila Ubud gave us the ideal experience to be close to Bali's tropical nature located in the heart of Ubud's tropical forest. There is a shuttle bus twice a day that will take you to Ubud's center where there are many temples, shops and restaurants. Alila Soori is a perfect romantic getaway where the service was exceptional definitely worth your money if not more. Our beach front villa was out of this world and believe any of the pictures you see on the internet does not do it justice.
Last but not least, my partner and I are massive foodies and both Alila hotels were spot on whether it was western foor or traditional Balinese food and breakfast was a treat every morning!!!
In conclusion, if you're looking for a romantic get away in Bali with a different experience to the usual commercial destinations such as Seminyak, look no further Alila will take care of you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank victoriaclark

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was an absolute delight for us to stay at this truly wonderful resort. 5 heavenly days. I have always considered myself as a detractor of all beach resorts, and hence Bali was seen in the same negative light for me. But Alila Villas Soori almost single-handedly changed my opinion and made me see beach resorts and Bali in a totally different albeit positive light.

Surprisingly, the good experience with Alila Villas Soori did not only begin in the resort itself. In fact, it started right from the time we were greeted at the airport by an Alila representative by name, and led to the waiting car. On top of light tidbits, the car was replenished with icy cold towels, mineral water, face mist, which were a big welcome to us in the face of the super hot Bali weather. Knowing that we probably had not taken our lunch, the driver (Darma, I think) took the liberty of providing us with the option for lunch in our villa. After our selection from the menu, the driver called the hotel to prepare and even timed it along with our arrival so that the meals would remain fresh and hot in our villa. How special is that? =)

I could not begin to tell you just how nice and friendly the staff at Alila Villas Soori are. Their service is just exceptional, impeccable and unpretentious. Faultless. I could not believe my ears when I heard the Security guys greeting us by name, with warm smiles on their faces, when we first arrived at the resort. And then seeing the Marco (GM), Devina and a few other staff waiting at the driveway to give us a hearty welcome. It was like a home away from home. Really gave us a special and settled feeling. Not those type of squirmy feeling where you received an overdose of sweet stuff and felt that it was all fake. All the restaurant staff are really friendly and attentive (without being intrusive). I wish to highlight, particularly 1) the restaurant supervisor who speaks really good Mandarin, 2) a young chap who recommended us to try the Balinese menu on our first night (Apr 2) at Cotta restaurant and provided us with lots of refill of the bitternut crackers (my favourite!!!) and he also mans the main pool (Apr 3) when we were there, and also 3) a lady who is more senior in her role and works the breakfast and lunch shifts who left really deep pleasant impressions on us. I know my description sounds really vague, and unfortunately I didn't manage to get their names but I hope Marco, if you are reading this and know who I am talking about, please give credit to these guys. =) There was a Security guy who had a special way of welcoming us back to Alila each time we returned from our day tours and directing our attention to the Alila Villas Soori sign right in front of us. Really puts a big smile on our faces. =D

The mountain villa that we had is WOW, which many other guests could attest to. No surprises here. I could not stop taking photos of my villa and the rest of the resort. No surprises too.

Out of the 5 days there, we had 3 spa treatments (Beauty and Balance, Avocado and Coconut Smoothie, and Balinese Massage) at Spa Alila. Before the start of each treatment, we were led to a beautiful waiting area where we were given an icy cold and refreshing concoction of lemongrass, ginger and honey drink. There are even a whole range of Alila spa products for you to test out while waiting. No doubt the price is on the high side but I can safely say that thiswas the best massage I had. Ever. The massage techniques applied by the massage therapists were precise, strong, calm and unhurried. The mood lighting, room temperature and bed also contributed to the "oh so good" feeling. So good that I had to resist falling asleep (but failed, nodded off to la la land a few times) during the treatments. And we smelled so yummy especially after the Beauty and Balance treatment. Be sure to pamper yourself when you are there. It would really be a pity to have been there but not done that.

In all my travels, this is definitely the best hotel I have ever stayed in and is one that is hard to replace in my list. Alila Villas Soori is truly a class on its own. Rightly deserving of all the accolades it has earned so far. Looking forward to be back one day!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chrisop
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a pool villa on the on the first floor at the end, so was away from it all.
The view was beautiful and very private (this is not the case with the beach villas). We finished up spending most of our time in the villa as it was so restful, something we don't usually do (Alila Villas Uluwatu).
UPS, view, listening to the waves crashing on the beach, privacy, staff, meals*
DOWNS, meals (there was a limited menu, we were struggling after 3 night stay) beach (it is black as black can be and rather dirty) remoteness (fine for us but could be an issue for others) rooms, (you have to stay in first floor villas otherwise you will be disappointed, especially if you book the padi field villas, you could be anywhere)
TIPS, our villa was 215 lovely. We had a look at the 3,5 and 10 bed villas, 3s are fine if a little more set back, 5 is to die for and 10 is just a bit to big and not that great a lay out.

Room Tip: As in my notes, make sure you stay on top, worth the money.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fussey45
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Writing this on our last evening at Alila Soori, having chosen Alila for our honeymoon. We have had an incredible five days here, beginning from the moment we were met at the airport by a chauffeur from Alila. The ride here from the airport is indeed long, but we were provided with cold water and our chauffeur was also a wonderful guide, giving us information about the region and culture as we went.

We were met at the entrance with cold towels and an incredible face mist - all of the amenities at the hotel are of the highest quality, and guests are provided with anything you could want - including a beautiful smelling sunscreen, insect repellant etc.

The villas are beautifully appointed, and serviced as often as you want by your villa host. The bathrooms are beautiful, with an enormous bathtub that more than fits two adults. The beds are incredibly comfortable, and massive. The private pools are very large in size - much larger than most villa pools we looked at.

Every single person we encountered while at Alila, including the manager Marco, was exceptionally friendly, and the majority even knew our names. Service of this type can sometimes feel smothering - but not here.

As far as food, everything is top notch. It is not cheap, but is less expensive than food of comparable quality would be in Australia. The breakfast (included for us) was amazing - a tasting menu of sorts, which changes every day.

I spent a lot of time at the spa - incredible. The spa itself is out of this world beautiful, and the treatments are fantastic. Again, it is not cheap, but half the price of a comparable spa in Australia. The massages are a must do.

My husband went on two trips with the hotel - referred to as journeys. He thoroughly enjoyed both of them, and recommends both the Segway tour and the Kopi Luwak experience. He found both guides to be exceptionally friendly and very knowledgeable, and considered the tours to be money well spent.

Ultimately, this is undoubtably the best hotel I've stayed at in Bali, and probably the best I've ever stayed at. It is worth every cent.

1  Thank SD1986
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Peaceful, tranquil, padi fields, mountain back drop, volcanic sand beach and good service. If you are not to fussy with your toiletries don't bring any. Every room comes well appointed with a full set of his and hers. And it goes beyond way beyond what you get in a normal 5 star hotel. Volcanic men's soap, men's sun tanning oil, SPF 30 sunscreen, after sun soothing lotion, Alila insect repellent, lip balm just to mention some. The dining menu is good by any standard but because the resort is about 60 minutes from Kuta and any decent restaurant I expected better. It's just a hassle to eat out.

The combination of a top quality resort and the sound of waves crashing on the shores make this place a must visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Beautiful resort tucked quietly away from it all.

If you're looking to spend time in solitude away from the 'scene' in Bali then you can't really go wrong here. Beautiful black volcanic sand beach, great for a stroll albeit too rough to swim.

We took a 3 bedroom villa, which was a lovely well planned out space, two floors, dining and living area, pool cabana lounge and of course a private pool. You'll have a great time without stepping out of the villa if you so choose. Mira our private host was always eager to help and take care of us.

Unfortunately there were a few negatives...

Firstly, the view of the beach and ocean from the pool is obstructed by the single villas in front of us..unfortunate.

Non-Indonesian items on the dining menu were better than local fare.

Air conditioning in two of the villa rooms and the living area was poor, quite warm.

The resort fleeces you on airport transfers, 50USD for 2, or 100 USD for max 6 people each way. Unexpected for a property of this quality.

Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NomadicTrip
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent 5 days in a Mountain View Villa. The villas are the ultimate in luxury. Very spacious, inside and outside shower in a very comfortable bathroom area, your own gorgeous pool and outdoor area, looking over the neighbouring rice paddies to the distant mountains. The main part of the hotel cascades down in layers towards the spectacular surf beach below. The 2 eating areas on the lowest level provided beautiful food at all meals - the breakfast being the highlight for me. We were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary while at the property, and the staff exceeded our expectations in looking after us.

2  Thank Max R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Legian Bali
The St. Regis Bali Resort
Alila Villas Uluwatu
Alila Villas Uluwatu
#1 of 9 in Uluwatu

Been to Soori Bali? Share your experiences!