“Our true Balinese experience”
Review of Bali Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tabanan
Bali Homestay
Ranked #5 of 28 Tabanan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had been growing fed up with staying in hotel rooms which look all the same all over the world. That is why we looked for other kinds of accomodation while organising our 16-day-trip to Indonesia. We spent 4 nights with Wayan’s family in a small village 2 hours drive away from the Denpassar airport.
At Wayan’s place we were surrounded by hospitality we won’t ever forget. Our sleeping room was a part of a typical Balinese dwelling house. The bed was clean and comfortable, the room was air-conditioned.
Nyoman, the landlady, is an extremely amiable person and an excellent cook. (Some of her recepies we are using at home now). The meals were opulent and very palatable, e.g. dinner consisted of 4-5 different dishes for the main course. This was followed by a dessert. Any time during the day we could ask Nyoman to cook tea or coffee for us.
However, the best thing about our stay at Wayan’s place was the conversations we had. Wayan makes a good company and is very knowledgeable guide. His explanations concerning Balinese tradition, nature and the way of life were both illiminating and informative.
Wayan also was very helpful and organised interesting visits to temples, rice fields, sunset, markets, festivals and other picturesque sights.
We are especially grateful for the unique walk through the surroundings of his village and the introduction into Balinese culture, plants or animals.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
balihomestay, Pemilik at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Valued guests,

Thank you for your review for your visit and stay with us in our homestay program. We hope that you bring pond of good memories back to Poland.

We are all in the family so happy to have you at home and become apart of our family. Also introducing you with balinese traditional life style, food and genuine hospitality. Sharing the laugh and happiness as a family.

Thank you also for an idea within the cooking class and some other thing which we appreciated much in the development of our homestay program. We will always keep in touch with you and hope some time in the future we have a chance again to host you with your wife here in the village.

Wish you all the best and may god bless you with full of joy and happiness.

Warms regards,

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bali homestay on a 3 day package .
After being picked up at the airport and transported to the homestay without any problems we were welcomed into Wayan and Nyomens home with open arms. Their hospitality was first class .
The room was very basic but clean the showers were hot and anything we required was seen too immediatly.
Wayan was the perfect host and we learned so much about the culture in Bali.
Nyoman and her staff prepared the most delicious and generous Balanise meals .
They organised a day trip which was very interesting of various temple around the area and ended the day with a sunset at The beach at Tabanan. If i could fault anything they had new dog that was yappy and the rooster crowed at 4.30ish but hey your in the country. The surroundings and the people were very friendly and the homestay if definatly a must for young people older (like us) us and a wonderful experience for families. Our stay was definatly value for money and we would do it again when our granchildren are a little older. Thanks again for a great few days a must for anyone.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
balihomestay, Pemilik at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your review to our homestay program while you stay with us at home in the village.

We are so happy have to host you with your husband last time, sharing family life and the genuine culture of Bali.

We are very sorry if there is any lack of service and handling while you are stay with us in Bali. Which we always try to improve it time by time. Regarding the roaster which crowed at early in the morning at 4:30 am in our neighbourhood, that is a common thing for life being in the country side in Bali. Which giving you new experience and feeling for living amongst the family and become apart of them.

Yes, we have a new dog since year ago, Maltese one which is entertain the family and also guests when at home and some time he is yappy when the childrens of the neighbourhood come by to our house or pass the allay in the house. Or may be duck, chicken and cats passing the house because we are living in the neighbourhood and no border in between one compound to another compund. We live closely with our neighbour in one families row line.

Hope that you have enjoy to stay with us in the village which our dedication is to introduce you with the genuine culture of balinese family and become aparts of our family. We will be happy when you have time to come with your grand children and their family. Will be happy to host you again at home in the village.

Wish you have a good memories on your holiday in Bali and may we meet again in near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2013

First, let me say that everything was wonderful, and I would recommend staying with Wayan and Nyoman in a heartbeat. My husband and I spent 5 days here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There were a couple of things that surprised me based on the reviews we read prior to our visit, so I thought I would take time to mention them.

1. Nyoman has obviously had some picky and unadventurous guests in the past, because she kept saying things like, "It's hard for Americans to eat rice for breakfast." After our second day of insisting that we didn't want special breakfasts like banana pancakes (which were awesome) or meals different from the rest of the family, I think she stopped fixing us special meals and just fed us what the rest of the family ate, but I don't know for sure. She is an excellent cook and obviously can cater to Western tastebuds, so just be crystal clear what you want and she will do her best to accommodate you. She was also very careful to ask if we had any dietary restrictions or allergies.

2. We never really ate with the family. Wayan would sit down and eat with us, but usually Nyoman would serve the food and then watch us eat. Their children and grandparents ate separately at different times. I'm not sure if this is just the way their household normally runs, or if it is a Balinese custom that the family never sits down to eat meals together, or if we were treated differently because we were guests, but it surprised me.

3. Weaving palm fronds and banana leaves (the traditional Balinese crafts) is really hard!

Finally, there are two things I wish we had done differently:

First, it didn't occur to me to ask if there was anything I could bring from the US as a gift. Normally, when I visit friends overseas, I ask if I can bring anything, but it didn't occur to me for a paid stay. However, there are some items that it is very difficult or expensive to obtain in Bali that it would have been simple and inexpensive for me to transport as a gift in my luggage.

Second, on our next-to-last day, we had a full day trip to Ubud. To get home from Ubud, we actually had to go through Denpasar, and then back to Tabanan, which was a couple of hours of driving. And then the driver, Madi, actually lived in Denpasar, so he had to drive back an extra hour or two to go home. Then the next morning, we spent three hours driving with Wayan to get to Nusa Dua (which involves driving through Denpasar).

Instead, I would have arranged the Ubud trip on our last day, so the driver could have just dropped us off at Nusa Dua and had a shorter drive home, and we could have spent 4 hours fewer in cars. However, on our last day, Wayan did take us to the supermarket to pick up some Balinese spices and food to take home, so that would be a tradeoff. Beware: US Customs seized my Balinese red rice, but I go to keep the black rice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet_D_1
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for review with our homestay program. We are happy to have you home and sharing our daily life and culture in the village. We always welcome our guest to become apart of our family while staying with us.

Nyoman will always try to serve her best in cooking and giving attention to the details because some guests some time have different need and may be you have dietary restriction or allergies in order to that you fine that the food that we serve. Thank you that you like the food in the village.

To eat together with the guest is our culture in the family. We see our guests is apart of our family ( extended family ) come from overseas that me as an representative of the family will accompany you when ate with the family. While the other family member they have their own time to eat separately. We have gathering with the family some time once or twice in a week. And also we will happy to accompany our guest to eat together in the compound whenever possible remind the table are small as a family. There was our Balinese family custom. We honored our guests have been visit and willing to stay with us in the humble village and knowing more deeper of the Balinese culture and life style.

Basically, what Nyoman cook is the daily village cuisine that we eat in our family. We only adjust the grade of the taste, the contents based on our guests dietary and allergic restriction. The other thing were the same thing that the family eat daily. Most of the food serve is traditional Balinese foods which we eat daily or in festival only.

There may be some dishes that you will not find in another place because there were special family cooking recipe and dishes. It's were good that you have been stay longer with us and you have been explore more of our tradition, culture and life style.

We will don't want to bother our guest with the gifts for a family or children in the village but thank you very much have been bring gifts to us which there are useful for the family. Although apart of the income that we got or gifts that we got, we almost spread into the needy people and also the children in the village. We also extended our homestay program to help the people in Glenmore village East Java which you may see at our website.

Beside, at the moment we try to give a hand to the some childrens in the east of Bali. If you may willing to donate education tools or something other while you are already back to your country, it's will be possible and can be send to our mailing address and then we will spread it to the people / children who need it. Some of our guests have been done in this way also. Thank you for you such kinds with the family also the children which we appreciate very much.

We wish you all the best and hope may meet you again the the future while visit Bali again.

Please apologize if there is any lack of service and handling while you are staying with us in the village with our Bali homestay program.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I booked the three day, two night program. Wayan picked me up in Ubud on Friday afternoon, and Friday, I was pretty much on my own as he had to go to the airport and pick up another couple. I was free to wander around the village, and Nyoman made me a lovely dinner (yes, she really is an incredible cook--all the food is beautifully prepared and infused with love). Their teenage daughter joined me for dinner, which was great.

Later that evening, Wayan returned with the other guests. What an incredible experience we had! Our hike the next morning through the rice fields was incredible. Wayan pointed out so many plants, we got to try planting rice, we learned about the village, the culture, the farming, the traditions, and got to experience so many things. Wayan's father was in the fields, and gave us fresh young coconuts, which he cut open so we could drink the juice. We picked lemongrass, which we took back--and Nyoman made tea from it. We picked a cocoa pod, and tasted the fruit inside. We took a ridiculous amount of pictures. And there was a ceremony in the village dedicating a new gate which we got to see and experience. Amazing!

After an incredible lunch, Made took us on a tour of rice terraces, a temple, and the night market.

Dressing in Balinese clothing was really fun...and making the offerings the next morning was really interesting and fun as well. Nyoman has the patience of a saint, trying to teach this American what every Balinese woman has done since childhood.

The accommodations were comfortable, with a western bathroom for us to use. My room had air conditioning. And the food...everything everyone else has said is so true...Nyoman is a gifted cook, and the food is amazing. I was able to try so many new things...all delicious.

It was an incredible experience I'll treasure for a lifetime. I am so grateful to Wayan, Nyoman, their family and the village for making me feel so welcome. And Phyllis and John, if you read this--I loved sharing this experience with you. I so appreciate your opening your home and your hearts to me.

My only regret is that I didn't book a longer stay...

Room Tip: My ratings for the room are in the context of a true village experience...this is not a Nusa Dua fiv...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lovesoul
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your review within our Bali homestay program. We are so happy to have you in the village with the limitation that we have. Hope by staying with us and become apart of the family, bringing you more deeper view of Balinese culture and daily life. Also bringing good memories about real Balinese hospitality and culture.

It's our happiness to share the laugh and also show you the authentic Balinese village people life and stay amongst them.

Wish to meet you again in the future if you have time to come back to Bali again.

Our warms regards from the heart of Bali.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

If you're traveling to Bali, this is a must do! Wayan picked my friends and me up from the airport, drove over an hour back to his village where his wife, Nyoman, was there to greet us with coffee and tea. Meals were home cooked and delicious. The rice field hike and mountain tour were absolutely breathtaking. Overall, the entire experience gave us a feel for authentic Balinese culture- something you won't get in Kuta. I would stay with Wayan and Nyoman again in a heartbeat. Only next time, I would try to extend my stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your review to our homestay program. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your stay with us in the village. Share amongst the local balinese village people and knowing more deeper of their life style and culture.

Hope to meet you again in the future. We will very welcome when you have a time to come back in the village.

Wish you all the best and may good memories while in the village give you a new view of Balinese culture and daily life.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed with my parents for 2 nights with Wayan and Nyoman and their lovely family.
It was a wonderful way to experience the 'real' Bali.
It was lovely to wander around their beautiful village and feel so welcome.
Nyoman's food was delicious, fresh and varied - probably the best food I've eaten in my 4 visits to Bali.
We really enjoyed walking through the paddy fields with Wayan's sister and she was very informative pointing out all the different types of plants and crops growing amongst the rice - the fresh coconut and cocao was really yummy.
Driving around the countryside with Made was very pleasant and visiting the Jatiluwih rice terraces, Royal temple of Mengwi and Tanah Lot for sunset was fantastic.
We really enjoyed being dressed up in their traditional dress and felt honoured to wear THEIR ACTUAL wedding clothes.
Learning about their culture and how to make their wonderful offerings was brilliant and we now appreciate how hard they are to make!
It was a really enjoyable experience and a great way to spend time with my parents without any distractions from phones and internet.
We would highly recommend you stay here, well worth it!
Thanks Wayan and Nyoman : )

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kemartin5
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review within our Bali Homestay Program. We are so happy to have you in the humble house in the village of Bali. It were great time to have you with your parents here with sharing laugh and traditional cuisine of Bali.

Hope that you have great memories with the real Balinese Culture and village life style.
We are sorry if there is any lack of service and conditions in the village which you are experienced the real village life and social community life.

Wish you all best on your rest of Bali Holiday and hope to meet you at another time in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Thank you to Wayan and Nyoman we had a wonderful time in their village. It was great to share information about our cultures and families and we won't forget how welcome we felt in their compound and village. We were also fortunate to experience and learn about their wedding traditions. The food..... Nyoman, thank you, it was the best food we experienced in Bali, my taste buds were dancing. We offered to bring her home with us, but she declined. The tour through the rice fields and the other outings that Wayan organised gave us a good round experience of the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your kind review our Bali Homestay Program and have been experience our homestay program in the village. Our happiness to have you in our simple home in the village. Sharing the culture, foods and also playing with the kids.

Hope to meet you again in near future.

Wish you all the best.