“Beautiful people and beautiful experience”
Review of Bali Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tabanan
Bali Homestay
Ranked #6 of 27 Tabanan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed with Wayan and his family for the 3 night/4 day program and it was probably one of the most amazing and memorable experiences I've had so far. Wayan and his family are absolutely beautiful. I felt so welcome and I instantly became comfortable with them. Wayan stayed up late with me to teach me more about Balinese culture and life. The reviews of Nyoman's cooking are true- she is truly talented and an amazing woman. You really get a chance to feel like a local during the program. Some of my favourite parts were actually planting rice with Wayan's grandfather in their rice field and simply exploring their village and talking with the locals. I learned so much interesting things about Balinese culture thanks to Wayan. Because I still wanted to see some of the touristy spots on the island, this was not a problem as I was taken on a big day tour around the island. The touristy spots nowhere compare to the real, authentic experience you will have living with Wayan's family. Nothing is a problem for them. On my last day not only did Wayan drop me off at my next destination but he took me to some interesting and beautiful places that I wasn't planning on seeing! It is such a treat to be able to see Bali with a local family. There are 'homestays' available in Bali that are still touristy but this one is not- it's an authentic experience and the proceeds go to a good cause. Instead of staying at a hotel put your money to good use and do this program, you will not regret it. I only stayed with Wayan and the family for four days, however I couldn't help but cry when I said goodbye... this just shows the effect they have on people. Make an amazing choice and stay with these beautiful people.... this experience makes all of those touristy spots on the island totally overrated. Thank you Wayan and the family for giving me such wonderful memories and making me feel like I have known you my entire life... I love you all very much and you sure have a place in my heart!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our homestay program. It's our happiness to share with you our culture, daily life and Balinese traditional cuisine. Sharing laugh and fun while stay with us in our humble house and village.

So glad to know that you are enjoy your stay with us in the village. We feel so close with you and you are already became apart in our family. Your review is useful for us to improve our homestay program in a limitation that we has.

Hope we may meet you again in near future when visiting Indonesia and Bali especially to share more of the culture and kindness of a life.

We are sorry if there is any lack of service and handling while staying with us.
Thank you very much for special gifts that you bring for family from CAD.

Wish you all best.

Warms regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2012

If you idea of a holiday in Bali is waking up drinking Bintang for 16 hours a day then Wayan's homestay programme is not for you. If, on the Other hand, you want to experience a slice of real Bali then Tabanan homestay will be right up your street. My wife and I took the three day two night programme and thoroughly enjoyed staying with Wayan, Nyoman and their family. The homestay is in a traditional compound in a traditional village. The accommodation is in a fan room but there are Western toilet facilities. After many visits and much reading on the history and traditions of Bali I learned more in three days than in the past 20 years of visits. There are opportunities to visit (and sample the food) in a traditional market and to visit other interesting areas in and around Tabanan. Nyomam's food was out of the world and everything else I have eaten pales by comparison. I cannot hesitate to recommend this homestay programme - we will definitely stay with them again on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomski2001
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for coming into our humble family and village with your participation with Bali Homestay Program. We are happy to have you in our home whether for a short time. Sharing the culture, laugh and fun. Your kind review is useful for us to always giving our best and show the original traditional balinese culture, foods and daily life to our guests who participate in our homestay program.

Your wife sharing for the Thai foods is giving a new colour to our cooking for fusion foods that we may offer to our guests some time later.

Wish your rest of holiday in Bali are enjoyable and hope that we may meet again in near future in the village and share laugh and fun with the family and neighbourhood.

With warms regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our family of five stayed with Wayan, Nyoman and their family for three nights and it was a truely wonderful experience. Some of our most vivid memories include Nyoman's cooking (a totally unexpected delight), Wayan's great sense of humour and regular deep belly laughs, having four generations help us make traditional woven coconut palm leaf offerings, drinking from coconuts plucked from the top of palm trees by a 67 yo grandfather, being dressed up in traditional dress by many caring sets of hands and helping harvest rice.
We left feeling like good friends of these amazing people.
Their dedication to sharing Balinese culture with visitors is worthy of awards.
If I were going again I would negotiate a cooking class with Nyoman as part of the stay.
Thanks so much!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jo K
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your review on our homestay program. We are happy to have you and your fsmily in the village, sharing laugh and the culture of Bali also become apart of our family. Hope that your stay with us giving you good memories and of course Nyoman will be happy to share a cooking class with you when you back to Bali again.

Our warms regards to your family and hope we can meet again in another occasion with our homestay program.

Wish you all best,

Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I and our 11yr old son stayed two nights with Wayan, Nyoman and his family. This is an experience anyone travelling to Bali should consider. This family welcomed us into their home and shared their everyday lives with us.
Theres is a lifestyle we can all learn from; I think that every ingredient in the fantastic meals that were served to us, pretty much was raised, grown by them or traded with others in the village. Their own rice, fruit, vegetables, meat and coffee, (oh I miss that coffee).
It was so refreshing to be able to sit down with the native Balinese to learn and discuss their way of life, culture and beliefs. The walk through their village rice fields with Wayan was very informative and astounding to see that most of what appeared to be scrubby bush was infact mostly edible and harvested.
We were all disappointed that we only stayed the two nights and three days.
Wayan and his family use part of the proceeds of his business to sponsor the continued education of local children and a number in east java, it is very obvious this comunity takes care of each other - Another lesson we in the West would do well to take note of.
If you want a tourist Bali Holiday, stay in your hotel. If you want to get a glimpse of the real Bali this should be on your agenda.
Well done Wayan,Nyoman and your delightful family, that includes your dad and grandma.
Best wishes
Simon Meg and Jack

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon B
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for have been stay with us in the village. We are also happy to have and host your family in the village. Although in short time but your stay were meaningful to us.

Thank you also for some of your advise and we may realise it soon.

Wish to meet you again in another occassion in near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2012

It is the experience every visitor should have when visiting Bali. Interaction and and learning there cultur with a family in a traditional balinese compound. Wayan is not just a very informative host but has also a good feeling for integration of tourists with vilage life. Visitor with a genuine interest in culture and the way of living in a simple balinese home will be rewarded with the best hospitality and even better home cooking from Wayans wife Nyoman.
We hope to come back and see this program to further develop.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your review for further improvement of our homestay program and value. Keeping the good thing and left the bad thing at the back as an experience to learn. It's our pleasure to have host both of you in the village and share an idea and many more about tough, life experience and culture.

With full of laugh and happiness for gain better life in the future. We are sorry if there is lack of our service and facilties that we provide to you in the humble of our village life. We are happy have been share with you our village life, culture and surrounding although there is still need many improvement on the journey.

We hope that we may meet again in another occasion in the future, which you may see the improvement of the program with well keeping the culture, environment and genuine balinese hospitality as promises.

Thank you very much for have been spend your valuable time in the village. Hope to bring you fold of good memories to bring home to Australia.

With best regards,

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I took my 3 kids aged 9-15 who really enjoyed this experience. The neighbourhood kids welcomed them into their crowd and my youngest two kids spent alot of their time playing soccer and flying kites with a big group of 10-20 kids from the surrounding compounds,
I also got my kids to bring some soccer balls and other small gifts to share with the village kids which were really well received.
Chrishna who is Wyans son brought my kids their own kite to fly- you have lovely kids Wyan!
I did the 3 night 4 day package and the first and second days were excellent however the third day involves travelling in a car from 10am until 7pm at night...WAY too long for my kids but Wyan happily took us home when we had had enough. Reading the guest book that he keeps I wish we had have gone to the near by hot springs and for a ride in a boat through the local mangroves instead.
In the 4 and a half hours of driving we did on day 3 we saw the view of the rice fields from the top of the mountain- (seen over 3 hours of them the day before),we also went to the botanical gardens which really were pretty ordinary compared to the Sydney AUS and Hamilton NZ ones I have visited previously,maybe others enjoy long winding car rides but we did not.
The villiage atmosphere is so wonderful i feel it is better just to hang out longer there and participate in truely local things! I am sure Wyan would happily accomodate this request.
The only other negative was one of the rooms had really bad rising damp problems with mould covering the bottom half of the wall and a really overpowering musty/damp smell, which gave me headaches and left me short of breath. The other room my sons stayed in was fine so maybe request this room if staying with just two people.
In saying that I would definately recommend this homestay, the food was AMAZING, Nyoman was such a hardworking, friendly lovely ,woman , the whole family is just so welcoming and hospitable... this experience is something I will remember fondly forever and so will my kids.
Thanks so much Wyan and family

Room Tip: Request the one without the rising damp problems
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

It was so happy have to host you in our family compund with your kids in our humble village. Also the gifts that you have been bringing to the kids which is useful for them for developing in football skill. They still happy to contact each of their friend till now together playing soccer with the soccer ball that you gave them.

They think that your kids are still home and however they asking whether they will come back again to play with.

We are sorry for the room with the damp smell because of the humidity at the place. I will always t\ improve the facilities step by step to match with our guest requirement. Your review of our program and facilities is highly appreciated for us to improve to better service time by time.

Our happiness to host you and willing stay with us in our homestay program in the village with all of the limitation and humbleness that we have.

Hope some time in the future you may have chance to participate again with more better atmosphere and may spend more longer time at home to know more deeper of the culture and heritage of the village lifehood.

Warms regards from Ngis - Jegu, Bali,

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed here as a solo traveller and never felt alone,even though Wayans progam gives ample opportunity for free time. wayan and his wife Nyoman are so hospitable. His Dad and Gran live with them and along with an Aunty I had some funny times practisng my Indonesian and them ,their English.
Nyoman is undoubtably the BEST cook. Her food is so good,you just want more!!
I cant thank the family enough for letting me share a glimpse of their lives

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank vicntak
balihomestay, Owner at Bali Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review with our homestay program. We are so happy to have you at home to participate with our homestay program and become apart of our family. We hope that you are enjoying while you stay with us in knowing more deeper of our culture, cuisine and hospitality and we will always to improve our program for more become better and better in this coming season with thanks to your great idea as and addition into our program.

We hope one time in near future may host you again in our special program or trying our new extension program to exploring other parts of Indonesia with based from our place.

Thank you for have been stay with us and see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Hotel Dewi Sinta
Bali Eco Stay Bungalows
Bali Eco Stay Bungalows
#1 of 59 in Tabanan
De Moksha Boutique Resort

Been to Bali Homestay? Share your experiences!