“Beautiful place to stay”

Prana Dewi Mountain Resort
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Tabanan
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights while traveling with a group around bali. The bungalows are nice, mine had a waterfall and a pond next to it which made a beautiful sound backdrop to fall asleep to. The bed was comfy, the bungalow well furnished with lots of neat wooden details. There was a porch to sit on to enjoy the gorgeous sourroundings with lush green, truly relaxing for the eyes. There is a natural pool and some sun beds. I also had the best massage with acupressure point treatment booked at the front desk- absolutely recommendable! Service was ok but some of the staff barely spoke english so it was sometimes difficult to communicate.
The food at the restaurant was good, the snapper unbelievably delicious but the rice was cold. Some of our group members also had only lukewarm food. Breakfast was good, though.

The climate is generally cooler and more agreable than on the beach so this is great to take a break from the heat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were initially only booked in for 7 days but extended our stay to 10 days. We were very fortunate to stay in the "New House", which is the newest, most nicely furnished and is overlooking the forest. The food in Prana Dewi restaurant is perhaps the best we had in any restaurant in Bali. Staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, we left extra tips for all of them. All staff lives in the nearby village and are honest and friendly. One of the gentleman, Nengah is also a massage therapist and provides an hour massage for 75.000 rupiah right in the bungalow or by the pool. Yoga pavilion is also great. The equipment for yoga is provided there, but the classes are only held when the wife of the owner is there, the schedule is on the Prana Dewi website. All bungalows have an outdoor shower and the houses are a bit open (the insects can come inside sometimes). Our house was the only one with a mosquito net. The place is cool and there are hardly any mosquitos there. But you will see everything else that inhabits the forest. Fabulous place to stay, but preferably longer to have enough time to enjoy the place.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to nature, choose a room father in, closer to the forest. If you want a sunn...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Majowka3
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Quiet, remote, completely integrated in the local nature, and with pleasant and helpful staff, this is a great pick for a weekend escape from the chaos of southern Bali. Rooms are clean, spacious, and each bungalow includes some local traditional elements and building materials. There is obviously an ongoing challenge with the upkeep of the facilities, but overall our stay was very comfortable. The only downside, as mentioned by another reviewer, is the cost which seems too high for the simple amenities that are provided. Other than that, this is probably the most delightful place we have stayed in in Bali.

Room Tip: Rooms to the West seem to have a better view, but did not sleep there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank armadilloBali
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at Prana Dewi twice and loved the experience each time. It’s set in a gorgeous landscape and offers all the peace and tranquillity that one can wish for.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janamarieparis
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Being an arachnophobe I almost gave this place a miss after reading previous reviews but as my husband pointed out, we've lived in the tropics for over 15 years and truth be told there isn't much I haven't seen in my own homes at one time or another, so I steeled myself for the onslaught of creepie crawlies and gave this place a try. I'm so glad we did.

We were the only guests for the two nights we stayed, which is ironic given reviews from two years ago about the overabundance of business. My concern that business may have dropped off compelled me to write this review. I'd genuinely hate to see a place like this close down. Bookings are still made with the owner Francisco (I think her name is) who lives in Keroboken on the other side of the island. Perhaps the overflow problem is because of the disconnect between the bookings she makes and walk-ins that the local staff accept.

First an update on the facts since the previous reviews are a bit dated. It's still a small boutique hotel, about 11 villas. I believe it was three double villas, and five separated. We didn't look inside every one, though we did look in most of them. One does indeed have a frog pond in the bathroom, which was very picturesque if you're not a batrachophobe. All of the separated villas are well-spaced in gardens around ponds and a stream that runs through the property. Most have their own outdoor bale. One villa, at the far end of the property, furthest from the restaurant, has an entrance and balcony facing the forest. It's ultra-private and really gorgeous. This is the one we chose. We spent many hours just sitting on our balcony watching the birds flutter in the trees. It was really, really hard to leave.

The rooms have large picture windows, which is nice because the views in all directions of forest, rice fields, ponds, and gardens are really beautiful. The doors are not well sealed and I think this may be one of the ways insects get in. The bathrooms are outdoors with their own small but attractive gardens (and at least in one case a pond). The bathrooms, while outside, were completely private with one possible exception. I think if you stood in one corner of the yoga studio, you could see into the corner of the bathroom of our villa. You'd have to be really trying though.The rooms and bathrooms were spotlessly clean and very attractive.

The rooms are a good size - on the large side, though not huge - simply furnished but with attractive Balinese furniture, a four poster bed, desk, cupboard etc. I agree with a previous reviewer that the mattresses were a bit hard. It bothered me but not my husband, though he agreed they weren't the most comfortable. The pillows were also small, though most of the villas have extra throw cushions for propping yourself up to read. The lighting was good for reading at night from the LED lights - which is often not the case in Bali hotels - but the lights did attract bugs, moths, mosquitoes, and tiny flies (like midges) - not tarantulas or anything unnerving. We were prepared for this because of the helpful previous reviews so we sat on our balcony until nightfall, read inside until around 7, by which point we'd lured in a few - not a lot - of flying insects, then we sprayed our room with bug spray and went to dinner. When we got back there were no bugs and we had two peaceful, though early, nights. If we''d wanted to stay up later, we would have used a mosquito coil and sat on the balcony where there was also good lighting. We saw no large bugs of any kind, not a single spider, and at most three mosquitoes over two days. That being said, it's the tropics. We had a boa constrictor in our 5-star private pool villa last Christmas. These things happen.

There are no fans or ac in the rooms. Because of the elevation it genuinely is cool. I wore a sweater both mornings and evenings and at no point did the room feel too warm or stuffy. In fact I would have liked an extra blanket. This is something I think should be provided in the rooms. That being said, we were there in the "cool" season, so maybe it would be different in the hot season. The rooms don't have mosquito nets, as a previous reviewer said but there really aren't many mosquitoes, again this could vary somewhat by season. Bring bug spray just in case.

There's no internet or television anywhere on the property. We did have cellphone reception. It's remote so there's no restaurants or stores you can easily walk to. In fact, other than pretty basic kiosks, there aren't really any stores in the area. It's very close to the Batukaru temple. You probably could walk to that, though it would be a bit of a hike.

Food in the restaurant was very good. We particularly liked the home made bread and fresh salads from their own organic farm. My husband complained about the organic red rice but I liked it. Children might find the menu a bit limited but the staff were extremely helpful and I'm sure you could ask them to prepare something off the menu. I believe they all spoke fairly good English - one is studying to be an English teacher - though we spoke mostly bahasa so I'm not certain.

There are no phones in the room so if you want room service, you need to go to the restaurant to order it. We didn't find this a big problem, though admittedly I sent my husband, so perhaps it was only I who didn't find this a problem. There was no fridge or coffee maker in the room. We asked for a thermos of hot water every night, which we used to make instant coffee for ourselves every morning, as we're early risers and the restaurant didn't open till 7. It's Bali coffee in the restaurant, like most places, so it's helpful to travel with your own coffee if you don't like that.

There's a small though very attractive pool looking over the rice fields. The loungers are the most comfortable I've ever come across - custom made with molded cushions. We loved to hang out there and just soak in the view.

This place bills itself as a yoga retreat. We don't do yoga but if you're looking for a place to completely unwind and detox from urban life, I would recommend Prana Dewi. It has some things, (mattresses, pillows, extra blanket) that should be improved, but it excels at what it sets out to be. Perhaps for the price, around $75 for the room we stayed in, there is better value for money but it's hard to put a price on beauty and tranquility and this place has both in abundance.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tcks
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We liked the setting and the rustic charme. Bali-Style Bungalows set within the rice-fields surrounded by tropical plants and a good restaurant. The problem is the place is in need of refurbishment rustic shouldn´t include antique mattresses which haven´t been replaced for ages. The bathrooms are romantically open air but have seen better days and a white piece of tube out of the wall with no shower-head can not be considered rustic. Speaking of rustic ond Bali-style, be aware of lots of animals in your bungalow. Ants and insects all over the place (I am not talking about the odd insect which is unavoidable in the tropics) and a gekko which loves to wake you up with shrieking noices various times in the middle of the night. When we asked why no moscito nets were provided, the answer was becaus there are no moscitos. Ridiculous in the middle of the rice-fields. Luckily we always carry our own spare-net with us when we travel in the tropics. Even before sunsets I had three mosquito-bites, next to my pillow I killed a real big spider and in the morning we kicked the diroppings of the gecko from our net.

The problem is this is not a backbacker-place the prices are for Bali-Standards 50 - 70 USD in the mid-range sections and they should therefore provide adequate standards. Its a shame that a paradise-like place like that is in such bad shape.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gbmuc007
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Sadly, it is impossible to recommend this beautifully located hotel as they clearly habitually overbook. This is the first time I have been moved to write a review on TripAdviser, and am not normally one to grouch!

Despite booking by email and following this up with an (acknowledged) confirmation to Franziska (the boss), we arrived after a long day travelling to be told that they had made a 'double booking' and had shifted us to a hotel around 5 miles away. Despite our protestations, the staff at the hotel denied any responsibility and stated that we needed to speak to Franziska (who was conveniently on the other side of the island).

The alternative hotel proved to be a run-down, virtually derelict 'spa' in a rural location (no escape....) - fortunately we had negotiated with the Prana Dewi that they would cover the cost of this night (they had tried to get us to pay extra!) - if you find yourself in the same position, make sure you negotiate hard. On arrival at the 'spa' we met 2 other groups of people, both of whom were also 'booked' for the Prana Dewi, but had been shifted to the spa. We spoke to the staff in the spa and they confirmed our suspicions that the hotel effectively acts as a nightly over-flow for the Prana Dewi - it is first come first served at the P-D and bookings count for nothing. I suspect this is because the P-D does not request payment up front and as such doubtlessly suffers from no-shows, but until they sort this problem, you must avoid.

As above, this is a real shame as it is a beautifully located hotel (we moved there on our second night) with a good restaurant and excellent, friendly local staff. The trekking in the local area is superb; we did 2 walks, one to the temple (ace, but in reality the temple is very close & could be done independently if you wanted to save money) and one to a hot springs (really ace). I understand there are some homestays in the local area, go to these until the P-D lists on Expedia (or equivalent) and puts an end to their dubious practices.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank Theadonis2002
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
Royal Tulip Saranam Resort & Spa
Puri Taman Sari
Puri Taman Sari
#6 of 13 in Tabanan

Been to Prana Dewi Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!