“Good place to chill and get away”

Bali Mountain Retreat
Singapore, Singapore
“Good place to chill and get away”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed a couple of nights here and enjoyed our stay. The garden is beautiful and tranquil, and being on a mountain area the weather is more comfortable than the bustling lowlands. The food here is affordable and excellent quality. The folks here are really friendly (the owner stays in the same property) and will try to help where they can.

Pity we came with 2 very young kids and after a while, we ran out of things to entertain them and so had to cut short our stay. But I could see myself here again in the future, this time just to hang out for a week or two just to read a book, do yoga and chill.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lotus House which is the nicest room in the compound ... you feel like you are stay...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Indonesian first
Montreal
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were only intending on spending three days here, but we ended up lengthening our visit each day by a day more. The atmosphere is great- the gardens are very well maintained, the rooms are comfy, and the staff is fanstastic. We also did two of the treks they offered- our favorite was the rice field trek. Make sure to do this! It was one of the highlights of our trips to Bali. Food was also excellent, and I appreciated the large breakfast portions (go for the pancakes!).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Daniel G
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed AT BMR for 3 nights in February and it has been one of my best stays ever and most certainly my best stay in Bali. Everything just works together smoothly, from the friendly staff, well-kept premises and amazing views to the outstandingly great food that is freshly prepared when you order. What I really appreciated was that the prices for the food are really friendly so you don't get the feeling of being locked in because you're too far away from any other restaurants. The best thing were my conversations with the owner Richard who often came down to the restaurant for a good chat, giving me tips for where to go and what to do. He and his staff always took time to listen to my questions and the whole retreat is simply very well organised. This truly is paradise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank efassbender
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 18, 2014

What a lovely gem in the middle of Bali!
Just what we needed, my partner and I were only here for a few days, wish we could've stayed longer. It was truly perfect. From the moment we arrived I was speechless, from the beautiful room, (my jaw hung open!) to the amazing service from staff. I can't call them staff, they were more like a family, and not service, but a home away from home. Such warm people. If you are looking for superb food (freshest and the best I had in bali), a really good nights sleep (such a comfy bed!!) friendly atmosphere/surroundings, fantastic massages, lush greenery, overlooking the rainforest and mount Agung in the background.... And lovely warm sunrises and sunsets.... This is the place to be!
We took part in cooking classes, we enjoyed them so much, we booked in for more... And recreated them on our return home! We tried the jungle walk, and the temple walk, both were very wholesome, and the guide was lovely, explaining things along the way. Yoga studio was a perfect place to stretch out after the walk! And the fresh coconuts after a morning walking, refreshing! Loved the chocolate and coconut milk shakes.... Loved the Gule Ayam and Nasi Campur!
It was spot on to what we were looking for. And Richard and Rani, what can I say.... It was so difficult to leave, you made our trip perfect, you have an amazing retreat. All the little things were thought of.
If I were to plan a trip to Bali, I would definitely stop here again... And for longer!
Thank you very much to the Bali Mountain Retreat family for looking after us and making our trip perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hina2014
Beijing, China
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Oh people this was the best place we stayed in Bali. Forget about the crowed in the beach Bali places. Go away from the noisy, polluted and not secure towns of Bali and go in the jungle to experience the real life of the Balinese people. The resort has a line of delivering peace, touch to the nature, modesty and calmness. Everything you get in touch with during the say is actually underpinning this line and me and my partner felt like home, like in the nature, like in a place where we want to live forever because we actually spent only 4 days. Excellent style. You may see the build,if saw itch different architecture and each one has different purpose of use, such as massage, yoga, spending leisure time during the day, and all this is accessible free. If you want to be alone you can. You may want to strand I no the jungle or hike to the rice fields or the temple. The food is exceptionally good, natural clean! The cook is also very good prepared to respond to your demands if you may have any. We enjoyed two evening of our stay talking with Richard and some others from the staff and shared lots of fun and meaningful opinions and insights about the life, society and the future of the planet. When leaving we knew that we will come back again. Meanwhile for the rest of my stay on Bali - all together 30 days I haven't slept so peacefully than in BMR. People just go just experience this place, the service and the sencerity of the staff.

Room Tip: Even if you do not have chance and pick the rooms without toilet it doesn't make extremely big d...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa-Zhao
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I've selected BMR to be away from the busy areas of Bali and to take a couple of days to rest up in the mountains and see a bit more than the usual tourist track. It was the perfect choice! Located literally at the top of a hill surrounded by tropical forest, this is ideal for those searching for a time off and more interaction with Balinese people. The staff was fantastic, the tour to the temple something I won't forget that soon. Really beautiful and full of teachings! The yoga studio is also great, all that one could wish for a yoga class. Thanks, BMR. Zuleika

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Zuleika2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at BMR for two wonderful weeks, and I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else in the world! This retreat is a real Gem; nestled away in the tranquil mountains close to the paddy fields, it seems an eternity away from the hot and stuffy tourist cities in Bali. Surrounded by beautiful lush greenery, the retreat has a wonderful quiet, calming energy and an abundance of wildlife perfect if your looking for an escape into the countryside.

The rooms were more than adequate; clean, cool and comfortable- we stayed in the teak house, a traditional Balinese wooden house which was decorated with traditional furniture and beds on stilts. This was a wonderful experience and I had the best nights sleep with only the sound of the crickets and resident geckos to drop off to...

The food at BMR was truly amazing, and the best food I ate in my time in the whole of Indonesia!! All meals are cooked to order from the freshest, locally sourced ingredients, some of which were picked daily from the organic vegetable garden. The menu was varied and a pleasure to choose from- breakfast, lunch or dinner! The flavours which were produced in every meal were absolutely divine and the food was obviously cooked with lots of love and experince!

We were welcomed by Richard and the team with open arms and they continued to be as friendly and helpful throughout my entire stay. The staff at BMR were always happy, smiling and willing to help. Richard spent time with all the guests, talking about travel plans, and offering worthwhile advice.. We were even lucky enough to spend a few evenings sharing stories in the dining room!

I would recommend Bali Mountain Retreat to absolutely anyone- singles, couples, families, groups.

There are plenty of hikes, walks, temples, sights etc within a drive of BMR and Richard and the staff will give you all the information you need to satisfy your needs!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort
Bali Lush
Bali Lush
#3 of 54 in Tabanan

Been to Bali Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!