Bali Mountain Retreat
Puri Taman Sari(Tabanan)(Great Value!)
$86
Soori Bali(Tabanan)
$606
$567
Agoda.com
Natya Hotel Tanah Lot(Tabanan)(Great Value!)
$59
$52
De Moksha Boutique Resort(Tabanan)(Great Value!)
$80
$73
WakaGangga(Tabanan)(Great Value!)
$283
$130
Agoda.com
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort(Tabanan)(Great Value!)
$54
  • Breakfast included
Istana Balian(Tabanan)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsteak housebird's nestrice fieldsyoga studiopeace and quietown bathroommount batukaruhot stone massageperfect placetemple walkstayed nightsget away from it allcooking classthe hustle and bustleday bedranirichard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Whether you are a backpacker or a 5 star hotel devotee, everyone needs to give themselves some chill out time every now and then and this is the perfect place to do it. The grounds are amazing, the rooms simple, but classy in their simplicity and the fresh wholesome food is delicious. You order in the morning, so the ingredients for your lunch and evening meal are sourced that day - it doesn't get much fresher that this!
I stayed for 4 days and found there to be plenty of variety and tried different meals each time. I only ate Indonesian but there were many choices for Western food also. There was a lovely little massage hut and I had an awesome massage one day - "just a soft one please!". There were many areas in the grounds to sit around and read, or just enjoy the vista.
There are walks, tours and workshops you can do, if you so desire and a good place to explore for kids. There are some steps and ponds, but if you watch younger children they would be fine. (same as anywhere really)
Richard is a very welcoming host and nothing was too much trouble. The staff were sweet and unobtrusively went about their business keeping everything ship shape. There are 3 new rooms under construction, ready next year - one an interconnecting room that will suit a family.
From my initial emails to the airport pickup and my whole stay - efficiency was the practice.
I recommend to use the BMR driver, as they are used to the drive and will not grizzle about the bumpy road. And yes the road is bumpy, but no worse than a corrugated West Australian road up north. It is seriously not an issue.
I found the rates to be really reasonable, even as a solo traveller.
So, do yourself a favour, grab a book and head for the mountains!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

By far my favourite experience of being in Bali. Thick luscious rainforest, great friendly staff and not packed with drunken tourists. The food is fantastic. After a couple of days up this mountain you will feel completely renewed!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

BMR is located up in the mountains and offers a cool, refreshing spot to hang out. The rooms are comfortable and the evenings peaceful with no TV. The food is ok and being isolated the only option for eating is at BMR itself. I did find as a vegetarian that the menu was a little limited but meat eaters should do okay! I was a little discouraged that we had to choose our evening dinner at the beginning of the day & the staff seemed put out when we didn't want to order lunch.
These are minor things though.
The 2 hr stone massage is a must and the massage hut is a very nice place to hang out.
The journey from the airport to BMR took a long time, so I would recommend staying for more than one night.

Room Tip: I think that our room was a delux room which meant that we had an on suite shower and loo.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Balimountainretreat, General Manager at Bali Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thanks very much for your review. We are working on new items on the menu list right now and try to offer local, fresh ,produce on any given day. Depending on what you would like to eat for lunch and dinner, the chefs go shopping for fresh ingredients as we are very isolated in the mountains. As everywhere in Bali you can sometimes be misunderstood by the staff as their English is not perfect but we do try to make sure our staff are friendly and helpful at all times. If there is a next time, try to stay longer than one night and you will experience the magic of the mountain and the retreat…..
Rani

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My first time to Bali and I wanted to go up into the mountains and connect with the real spirit of Bali. At BMR I found it! Within a traditional Balinese enclosure I found lovely gardens and beautifully designed accommodation. The pace is slow and relaxing with amazing food to be enjoyed overlooking the hillside and plateau far below. The owner Richard and his staff were very helpful and went out of their way to enrich my experience. Walking through the garden forest to a Hindu temple where we were traditionally blessed by the priest was an amazing experience! Thank you Indra for guiding me there. I will definitely be back on my next visit to Bali.

Room Tip: Teak House 5 has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a lovely retreat in beautiful surroundings. If you are looking for peace and quiet, and wonderful food, this place is for you. We were 4 weeks into our trip and seeking more activity when we arrived here, so it felt a little slow to us. Very few guests at the time. We did take a mountain bike tour with one of the guides recommended by the hotel and that was fabulous. This is a part of Bali not yet overly touristed, so it had a very nice feel.
There are no public transportation options withing striking distance. If you are on a budget, this makes it difficult. One must have their own car rental or car and driver, which makes it a more expensive option. Communication with the owner is a dream. He is very responsive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple