“So Good!”

and 1 more site!
Bali Mountain Retreat
Reviewed November 21, 2012

By far my favourite experience of being in Bali. Thick luscious rainforest, great friendly staff and not packed with drunken tourists. The food is fantastic. After a couple of days up this mountain you will feel completely renewed!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2012

BMR is located up in the mountains and offers a cool, refreshing spot to hang out. The rooms are comfortable and the evenings peaceful with no TV. The food is ok and being isolated the only option for eating is at BMR itself. I did find as a vegetarian that the menu was a little limited but meat eaters should do okay! I was a little discouraged that we had to choose our evening dinner at the beginning of the day & the staff seemed put out when we didn't want to order lunch.
These are minor things though.
The 2 hr stone massage is a must and the massage hut is a very nice place to hang out.
The journey from the airport to BMR took a long time, so I would recommend staying for more than one night.

Room Tip: I think that our room was a delux room which meant that we had an on suite shower and loo.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Balimountainretreat, General Manager at Bali Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thanks very much for your review. We are working on new items on the menu list right now and try to offer local, fresh ,produce on any given day. Depending on what you would like to eat for lunch and dinner, the chefs go shopping for fresh ingredients as we are very isolated in the mountains. As everywhere in Bali you can sometimes be misunderstood by the staff as their English is not perfect but we do try to make sure our staff are friendly and helpful at all times. If there is a next time, try to stay longer than one night and you will experience the magic of the mountain and the retreat…..
Rani

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My first time to Bali and I wanted to go up into the mountains and connect with the real spirit of Bali. At BMR I found it! Within a traditional Balinese enclosure I found lovely gardens and beautifully designed accommodation. The pace is slow and relaxing with amazing food to be enjoyed overlooking the hillside and plateau far below. The owner Richard and his staff were very helpful and went out of their way to enrich my experience. Walking through the garden forest to a Hindu temple where we were traditionally blessed by the priest was an amazing experience! Thank you Indra for guiding me there. I will definitely be back on my next visit to Bali.

Room Tip: Teak House 5 has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a lovely retreat in beautiful surroundings. If you are looking for peace and quiet, and wonderful food, this place is for you. We were 4 weeks into our trip and seeking more activity when we arrived here, so it felt a little slow to us. Very few guests at the time. We did take a mountain bike tour with one of the guides recommended by the hotel and that was fabulous. This is a part of Bali not yet overly touristed, so it had a very nice feel.
There are no public transportation options withing striking distance. If you are on a budget, this makes it difficult. One must have their own car rental or car and driver, which makes it a more expensive option. Communication with the owner is a dream. He is very responsive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at BMR for 3 wonderful nights. The owner and his staff all welcomed us with smiles and helpfulness every second of the day. The property is stunning and well maintained. The photos online don't do it justice. Getting to the local hiking trails, villages and temples we're easy. The jungle hike was a good trek for the intermediate to advanced hiker. We decided to venture on our own, but they also offer local tour guides to take you around. If we could have stayed longer we would have taken advantage of their tours and massages. They offer accomodation for those wanting more luxiourous rooms to the budget traveller. Being that we are on a long trip, we opted for the Bale Gede at $35/night. It was like a villa with sliding windows, so spacious and comfy. Perfect to open and listen to the rain on our final night. The food was delicious and full of flavor. They also have lots of outdoor lounging spots, which we fully took advantage of! This place is a must for those traveling to Bali! We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Asquaredadventures
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Nice place in the montain of Bali, calm and quiet, with good opportunity for trekking in the surroundings, all the good word said previously are true, but there;s couple issues that don't give me right to rate it 5 - first is overpriced and monotonous food and no options to eat somewhere else becouse it far from other restaurants or even local shops and second is thin walls between rooms so I heard our neighbors snoring at nihght and bathroom can be kept in better condition. Otherwise it's great place to stay !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My partner and I absolutely fell in love with this place. Even the drive to it was amazing, I couldn't get my head out of the window!!

Once there we fell into a easy routine of relaxation, eating and recuperating.

Food is magnificent, as are the juices! Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. My partner and I hiked Mt Batakaru (definitely felt a bit of pain after that one...) and our guide Putu was excellent.

We really adored our stay here and will certainly be back.

Thanks Richard for the amazing retreat!!

Room Tip: Even the cheapy budget teak house room is spectacular!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple