We decided on the Amertha because of the great online reviews and for the first time ever were disappointed and confused as to why this hotel is so highly rated. We decided to splurge, spending more than double on this stay as any other in Bali and do not feel it was worth it at all.
I think the biggest problem was our room placement. We were given a two bedroom villa (Saraswati), with access to only one bedroom. The villa itself was situated furthest from the beach toward the front of the property. We could not see the main road because of the fence, but we were in close proximity and the noise from the honking and motorbikes kept us awake all night. Furthermore, we were right next to the guard stand, who were chatting loudly during 5am shift change. Keep in mind this property is a stones-throw away from the local mosque, who blares their prayers at all hours of the night and day. The room itself seemed as if had not had occupancy in a while, as there was dust/cob webs in the corners and dead mosquitoes on the bed! It is nice to have a full sized kitchen, but no pots/pans to make your own meals. Furthermore, the AC is only in the bedroom and the living area/kitchen is unbearably hot during the day. Being so far from the water, no breeze at all. We had to spend our time in the bedroom. The outdoor bathroom is true Balinese fashion and would have been nice, however it was dirty with leaves and dirt fallen in the shower. So many in fact, that it blocked the drain. Lying in bed, you can see holes in the thatched roof.
I went to complain and another guest was complaining about not having any privacy in the outdoor bathroom because workers were fixing the roof! Not to mention the noise! The hotel appeared desolate (with only 10 guests) so I asked to be moved to another room away from the road/guard shack. The manager was dealing with the other guest and I was running late for a dive, so the bellboy said he would get back to me in the afternoon after he spoke with the manager. I never heard back, and should have pushed a little harder but was tired after the dive and didn't feel like moving rooms.
The grounds to the hotel are truly beautiful, just a little tired looking. We enjoyed the beachfront restaurant and spa. Great staff in those areas.
At check in we were assured we could pay with a Visa or Mastercard for 3% fee, but at check out, the two receptionists were being coy and swiping our card backwards, upside down or too slow and saying that we had a bad card. We tired 3 credit cards, all of which we had used in Bali and not one worked. I swear it was deliberate operator error. Fed up with the entire situation, we gave them the last of our cash and got the heck out of there.
The only redeeming qualities are the pretty view, cold AC in bedroom and expansive grounds. Overall, I would have expected to pay less than half to have an experience like this and feel ripped off for the first time in Bali.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amertha Bali Villas is located in Pemuteran in the northwest corner of Bali. The exceptional oceanfront setting with lush tropical landscaping and spacious, private surroundings offers an idyllic and unforgettable vacation experience.The resort is near the holy Pulaki Agung Temple and many other ancient holy temples. Amertha Bali Villas is also just a short boat ride from Menjangan Island, world renowned for diving and snorkeling.Getting to Amertha Bali Villas is about a 3-hour drive from Ngurah Rai International Airport. If you wish, one of our English-speaking drivers can pick you up and drive you to Amertha in the air-conditioned comfort of our vehicles. This service is also available for group travelers. Along the way, your driver will give you a mini-tour as you drive by villages, pass sacred temples, and observe the ancient customs of Bali. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Amertha Bali Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amertha Bali Villas Hotel Pemuteran
- Amertha Bali Hotel
- Amertha Bali Boutique Hotel
- Amertha Bali Villas Pemuteran