We had an excellent stay at Matahari Beach Resort & Spa. We came to this side of the island for scuba diving and it's quite worth the long travel from the airport. The staff is extremely attentive and friendly, although we have experienced that Balinese people in general are always smiling and very pleasant, the staff here stood out. The villas are adorable and decorated in a typical Balinese style with an outside and inside shower and a beautiful bed. We loved it, though I have to say that I had a small accident with the bed. As it is very high, the rooms are equipped with small steps to get in and out easier. The bed is surrounded with mosquito netting to keep the occasional insect away, and when I got out of the bed in the morning the netting was laying on the step, which caused me to slip on the stair and fall. Maybe they could think of a better solution for this?
The food is excellent, but after a week, though the beach restaurant and main restaurant have different menus, it gets a little boring. They have different dinner events though, with a Balinese buffet at the beachfront example. This was fantastic, as was the dinner entertainment. Every second night or so they had live music, Balinese dances and artists on the outside stage, they were amazing! Especially a group of children from an orphanage that has started the group to earn a little extra money. The group is supported by the hotel and especially by its manager. What we were ashamed of we're some of our fellow guests. If kids as young as 7 or 8 are brave enough to go on a stage and then play exquisite music in a very professional fashion you can at least spend the effort of giving them a little clap afterwards.
The pool is very spacious, the beach is nice, though the sand is pretty hot in the afternoon as it is dark volcanic sand.
The dive base was acceptable. We are pretty experienced divers, and so we didn't have a problem with the way they manage the dives, but if you are just got your brevet, maybe you should pick another place. The briefings were poor, there were no debriefings, the guide was just someone else in the water, not leading the group or at least checking if everyone was there. The buddy teams would regularly split of on their own, surfacing on their own, and no one cared. If you have experience, that's fine, if not, I would have felt lost. Menjangan Island is a prestige place to dive though, especially the macro life is beautiful.
We took a couple of treatments at the spa, which were very good in general, just the facial I took was a little disappointing, as it should have included a face, neck and decolté massage, which it didn't really. The gym is poorly stocked, it has two treadmills, a stepper and one tower, no possibilities to train your lower back, legs, there were dumbbells missing, etc.
All in all, we had an amazing time at Matahari, and for what they offer, the price is really fair. We loved the place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the northern coast of the island, set amongst fragrant lotus and frangipani flowers, this splendid village consisting of Balinese pavilions overlooks the sea. Each ornate bungalow has hand-carved wooden folding doors, a tropical garden and an outdoor shower with a stone dragon: pure nirvana. Just like the sense of wellbeing imparted from the spa with its massage and other treatments in the best Balinese tradition. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Matahari Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matahari Beach Resort And Spa
- Matahari Beach Hotel Pemuteran
- Matahari Beach Resort & Spa Bali/Pemuteran