““What a Fantastic Retreat, one of the Best in Asia””

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed March 10, 2011

If you want really treat yourself, then you should go in Como Shambhala. This is a very special place located in the middle of the jungle, very peaceful and in the same time luxurious. On the arrival my wife and I had a consultation with the person that introduce to you to the several activities in the resort, she will prepare a program based on the activities and food. We did most of them, Yoga, Pilates, Water Aerobic, Estate Walking, ect. all great in different location of the Estate. We also experience the Spa with some lovely treatments, the food is outstanding, we had our menus made especially for us after the initial consultation. The villas are amazing, we had the one with pool, very large and very private, the best of all is the staff, all very nice, attentive, professional, never intrusive, our private assistants were amazing, always there for us.
I strongly recommend this Estate/Resort to the lovers of nature, privacy, food and activities in the open spaces.
Thank you Como Shambhala Estate !

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AC70

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I was searching so much on the web to find the perfect wedding place, and I found it. This whole Estate it a true Hidden Gem. We had a Hidaway protestant wedding, only my husband and me at the natural pool. The bishop of Bali wed us, local musicians played traditionnal music and Balinese little girls were dancing. It was descrete, elegant and truely memorable. I could not have organized better the whole setting (decoration, flowers, my bouquet, etc.) - having organized so many big internationnal events in my life. If you wish for a romantic hidaway wedding, no place can be better!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

My sister and I are on day 4 of our 7 day discovery package and could not ask for anything more. Located in the most beautiful rice paddies and overlooking the Ayung gorge it is spectacular. Our terrace room/villa is beautiful. It has a private outdoor bathroom looking out over the rice paddies - and includes a gorgeous large egg shaped stone bath and separate free standing rainfall shower. We also have the use of a large shared Pavillion and infinity pool (which we have had all to ourselves so far)

Our personal assistant - Yanti - is divine and we would like to take her home with us. She looks after all our needs and always appears just when we need her. Either with a buggy to take us to lunch or with an umbrella when it starts to rain. She even brings us wonderful drinks from the kitchen to keep us hydrated. Today we had cranberry juice bought to us by the pool.

We have tried Yoga, Aqua Therapy in the warm Hydration pool and facials & massages. All great. 3 massages are included in the package. Other activities included in the package: an Estate Walk, Bike riding, Pilates, Talk on food nutrition, and Thai Chi plus Cross Training in the Gym.

Two trips into Ubud are included (about 15 minute drive). What an assault on the senses after the serentiy of Como!!

Last but not least is the food. This is truly a highlight of our stay. Everything we have eaten here we have loved. Fresh, healthy organic food with a choice of cold or hot soup, stunning salads, lots of fish and vegies. There are also traditional indonesian dishes and a raw food menu.

This is definitely not a place for children.

Having been to many other spa/health resorts (Chiva Som, Golden Door, Gwinganna) this one ranks as the best. We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Leer
Reviewed February 4, 2011

The hotel property is well cared with a fine touch of local yet trendy style. During our stay, we were greeted as privileged guests, not just cold room numbers. The restaurant Glow offered delicious dishes. Although it is a western-styled restaurant, you can still order local food from the nearby Kudus restaurant. No hassle at all. On one night, the hot water at our room was out of order, The reception sent a team of staff to repair it. However, it did not work. We were escorted and upgraded to another room 30 minutes later. The on-duty manager expressed his apology once and once again. On the day when we were leaving, the manager apologized again for the inconvenience we encountered and gave us a gift full of their spa products. What a sweet ending! We will definitely visit the hotel in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dr_Tzung
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I enquired about staying at this hotel in January. The website indicates that children are welcome, however, in reality it is only if you stay in the most expensive room category. I found this odd as our 1 year old sleeps in the bed with us and would not require extra bedding. The impression I was left with about this hotel is that they are very rigid in their policies. I completely understand if a hotel has a child free policy but it gives a false impression if you claim child friendliness but upon enquiry, insist on charging for the most expensive room type.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Springstreet77
BaliManager, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2011

Dear Springstreet77,

Thank you for your interest in COMO Shambhala Estate and for your review on Tripadvisor about your recent enquiry into our accommodations. You may have noticed that COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat offering dedicated Holistic Wellness Programmes for guests who want to come to focus on themselves and their well-being. The environment is very quiet and conducive to healing and nurturing.

There are two types 2 of differing accommodation concepts at The Estate:

Our lead-in room categories are contained within five uniquely themed residential complexes are laid out similar to traditional Balinese compounds, comprised of 4 to 5 rooms, luxuriously spaced out within a beautifully landscaped shared compound, including swimming a pool, living spaces, and dining area. Due to the communal elements of these rooms, and as we are a dedicated holistic wellness retreat, we do not allow anyone under the age of 16 to stay in residences which are occupied by other guests at the same time.

Each Residence is available to taken over in its' entirety. Only when one party of the same group share the residence, would we allow children under 16 to be there as well. I invite you consider a re-visit and perhaps persuade a group of friends to join you. This would be an unforgettable family vacation and proof to be a very good value.

The other style of living are our Retreat Villas (Built specifically in close proximity to the spa) with elements designed to compliment our wellness programmes. Retreat Villas have private pools and as they are private, children are welcome in these rooms. This extra privacy does come at a premium.

I regret that you were not able to stay with us and that you felt that we discouraged children as our guests. I assure you that this is not the case. Out of respect for the many guests who choose COMO Shambhala Estate and wish to undergo a focused wellness programme, we had to create a policy which would allow wellbeing in a healing environment. Although the policy may seem strict, I assure you that we have done this in order to ensure that The Estate remains a serious and focused Wellness Retreat.

Very best regards,

Payangan, Gianyar 80571
Bali, Indonesia

Email john.halpin@cse.comoshambhala.bz

Reviewed December 10, 2010

I have been at other Como properties before, so I could already attest to their top level of service, good food and attention to every detail. And this was the end of my Bali trip, which I quite enjoyed but kind of had the feeling been there done that.

I already knew CS State would be the highlight of my trip, but I could never anticipate how gorgeous this place is, how they take service to a new dimension, and the high quality of treatments and classes. CS focuses on well being, so the array of treatments on offer is outstanding, the therapists are really professional, and you may get support from a really expert team of nutritionists, yoga teachers, and also an ayurvedic doctor. That not to mention your personal assistance, who seems to materialize like a wizard anytime you might possibly need him!

I stayed in one of the large estate suites and the decor and whole atmosphere of the place was breathtaking. The place was tended to multiple times a day. I had lost of massages, and must say that though I had had other awesome massages in Bali, the spa here had more treatments on offer, and it was the first place where they give you a paste after an ayurvedic massage to prevent you from holding on to that huge quantity of oil. The yoga teacher, Katiza, is truly inspirational, certainly the best lessons I ever had. The in house ayurvedic physician, Dr Deepak, is really extraordinary. And my PA, Arjana, just made my stay perfect in every detail.

This is the first hotel I ever stayed in where I felt I could stay for days without venturing out. The grounds are expansive and really beautiful, it really takes you a few days to explore the whole place. The restaurant has great food, sometimes expensive for native Bali standards, but in line with a those of a top restaurant. There are a number of activities open to all guests everyday.

I managed to go to a few places in Bali, and there are plenty more to explore. I've been to neighboring island Lombok, where beaches (and the Gili islands) are certainly more beautiful than in Bali. But returning to Bali will always mean going back to the Como Shambhala Estate. I hope I will be able to come here again and again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Lune14
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Absolute paradise! We loved this place from the first sight. Beautiful residences, very private, the personal assistant who is able to meet all expectations, while remaining very discreet. Great food in both restaurants and excellent smoothies. I recommend a walk around the property downstream. Best yoga classes, especially private lessons. And a breathtaking spa. I could spend a month hier. We lived in a house of fire in Estate Suite, we used the program Rejuvenation. Wonderful spa treatments, apartement like a fairy tale. Agung, our personal assistant, organized us a wonderful candlelit dinner on our swimming pool and a memorable breakfast at dawn on the terrace. Thank you Agung once again :-)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 199 in Ubud
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!