“Incredible place”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Como Shambala in Bali is an incredible place with one of the best spa I have ever come across. I stayed there last October, on my own, for about ten days. I was in the Tirta Ening villa and I had a wonderful aquatic garden in the back of my room. The hotel is situated right in the jungle, close to Ubud, faraway from the sea, overlooking the sacred river of Ayung. At night there is no sound apart from the river, the nocturnal birds and the wind blowing gently through the trees. It's truly magic!
There is an open hall for meditation or yoga, very inspiring and peaceful, but the best is the spa: I had a different massage almost everyday (I recommend Tari, my wonderful therapist!). The food is also excellent, different from 'normal' hotel food, very well presented, a mix of indonesian, healthy, alkaline dishes with an excellent juices and smoothies menu. I think they are going to publish a book with all the recipes. Everything is good, including my wonderful butler Mika and I have no fault to report. If you ever have the occasion do go there and you wont regret it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Habari3

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Como Shambhala Estate is the place to stay when looking for relax, peace and luxurious hotel retreat. All about the estate is made to perfection. The room was so cozy and beautifully decorated. The service is more than great. All the staff is really nice and welcoming. Our personal assistant Mika was attentive and helpful when needed. Both restaurants are divine, serving excellent healthy food. We were lucky to be able to try their Sunday Brunch which I recommend to everyone. The food quality is incredible. Congrats to the chef! We had Como signature massage and Aqua'gym, both great and the Pilates class was also very enjoyable, with a beautiful view on the forest.
Thank you Como Shambhala for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justine N
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is our second time visiting Como for their sunday brunch. We are a fan of the ex Begawan Giri hotel which is now como shambala. We love the property and beautiful surroundings and have stayed here for one night.

There is a group of 12 people in our group for our brunch there today. We were the first to arrive (4) and our friends were running late. As we had limited time (we had to go to leave at 1) we ordered whilst waiting for our friends.

We ordered our food and noticed it took 15 minutes to come and thought that was a little long when there was no other guest in the restaurant yet.
Realizing that the food would be slow we then ordered more food. When the waitress came and took order we thought it was strange and the waitress would question us and would make a strange remarks when taking our order which I thought is strange. Especially when I am entitled to order from the menu so please take my order.

A western food and beverages manager introduced himself to our table. (I am afraid he was not help ful in the kitchen as they were struggling as the restaurant got more busier - he was helpful in taking guests to there table)

Our group joined us 40 minutes later and we then ordered our food and this is when the disappointing service begins.

We order a large options of food as everyone is hungry as its 12 clock and no one has eaten yet. some people in our group did not get there food for 30-40 minutes and some did not event get theres at all. One of our guests ordered variety of food and again the waitress made a remark, when we making our order which he found to be rude.

We are paying 65 dollars for this meal and we do not expect the service to be so slow and the staff to be so rude. It was very disappointing. We often do a food fiesta once a month with our friends to places around Bali and its a shame as it has massive potential but not with the service

And we all agreed to not come back due to this experience. which is quiet disappointing as we had a lovely time our first time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank jasesyd
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My partner and I recently stayed at the Como Shambala Estate.
This was our first time in Bali and we absolutely loved it. We spent 3 nights at the Como Shambala and stayed in a Private Pool Villa. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty. I've never been somewhere where the staff are ALL smiling and greeting you by first name, and remembering our names! They could not have done more to make our stay unforgettable.
The Villa was stunning! Private 10m infinity pool, outdoor shower and decking (as well as indoor shower and steam room!), the worlds biggest bathtub which gave us both loads of room. A beautiful 4-post bed which was heavenly to sleep in... need I go on?
We had the please of our own personal assistant - Eka, to take care of our stay and ensure we had anything we needed. Each day she greeted us with the same lovely smile and would make excellent suggestions for our day ahead. She organised Rice field trekking for us, as well as white water rafting through the jungle as well as smaller details like the temperature of the pool and informing the kitchen of dietary preferences - SUPERB!!
We had treatments every day, These are excellent, I loved the Thai Massage although some may find it firm, I love that. The facial was also so nice I fell asleep I was so relaxed!
The food is all fresh, local organic and super healthy! there's even a RAW food menu with raw starters, mains and desserts! you just leave the place feeling healthier than you ever have in your life!
we even saw other guests arrive and looking super stressed and highly strung, completely transformed within a day or two into smiling serene alter-egos! amazing!
It's impossible not to love this place! definitely the best place we've ever stayed.
Bali is a 16-hour journey away but I would do it a thousand times again to stay at this place!
you will NOT be disappointed

THANK YOU EKA!!!! We miss you! haha

Room Tip: Private Pool Villa Vasudara (I think?)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Odgey2k
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at COMO Shambala for several nights and it was just wonderful. The paradise garden nourishes the soul, personalized services are up to world class standards and when it comes up to food one would love to follow a healthy lifestyle forever. Superb property managed by a highly professional team which offers all you can dream of. Hang out at the holly spring near the river, book a holistic SPA treatment or follow one of COMO's special excursions. You will def. leave COMO Shambala re-charged and entirely happy.

Lucia and Felix Eppisser

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Lucia and Felix Eppisser,

Warmest greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for your kind words on the Estate. Few places in the world are more calming and zen-inducing than a beautiful nature. Many has remarked the Estate as an amazing place where the sought-after inner peace can be found just from observing the beauty of nature. Reading your comment, we are happy to you also shared the feeling.

We believe that continuous process of learning and rebalancing, aided by special environments, specific knowledge and healing therapies and commitment to the process; allow guests to get rejuvenate, to make changes to their lives. We cannot be happier to learn that this was achieved during your stay with us.

Your thoughful aknowledgement of our team is really appreciated – it has put a little spring in their steps.

We look forward to your return where you will be able to explore more what we have to offer.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was on holiday in Ubud for a couple of days and had the pleasure of experiencing Como Shambhala staying in a beautiful Pool Villa - absolutely amazing. I had my own large outdoor living area with a swing bed and 2 comfy deck chairs beside by 10 mt swimming pool (which could be heated if I wanted to), then inside was an extremely comfortable bedroom with large flat screen TV and extremely comfortable circular lounges, a separate TV lounge area with large walk in wardrobe, then a very large bathroom with huge bath tub and a shower that was also a steam room. That led to our outside shower deck with access into the pool. Did I want to leave my villa - NO....why would I.
I was also lucky enough to have an excellent Butler called Eka who was there for me whenever needed and was happy to arrange spa treatments, show me around the huge grounds.
The meals are amazing all organic offering an amazing menu selection along with some incredible juices. Alcohol is available but not offered - this is a health retreat.
Como Shambhala is a health retreat - you can stay on a bed and breakfast basis however I strongly recommend taking a 3 night programme where all your meals, Spa treatments are included and I feel would be better value for your stay.
The location offers some amazing views where you can easily just "chill" and listen to the birdlife or do yoga or pilates or enjoy a spa treatment down by the river.....300 steps down and 300 steps back up again.
I can highly recommend experiencing Como Shambhala.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Judy A,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

Thank you so much for the lovely review. It is a compliment we at COMO Shambhala Estate love to hear.

We trust that the flight of stairs, 300 steps down and 300 steps back up, has brought you to our lovely Kedara (Water Garden). Many have commented that the pools at Kedara are so rejuvenating – it is an unique feature of which we are very proud to have this mindboggling feature. The water is naturally rich in minerals and originates from our own natural source – we call it “the Source”. The villagers in Begawan believe that the Source is a holy one with healing power. We often hold religious blessing ceremonies there which are performed by a local celebrant and an assistant who guide the guest through the event. The blessing takes approximately 20 minutes, during which the celebrants pray for the guest’s safety, health and happiness.

Your kind words on our One Bedroom Retreat Villa is much appreciate. Should you feel inclined to do so, you can consider one of our five residences in your next visit. Their designs were inspired by the five elements, with the entire concept taking 10 years to build. The aesthetic mixes Asian and European influences, handmade furniture, Indonesian artefacts and architectural details that exude the spirit of the region.

We are happy that you recommended our wellness programme. We would like to think that the programme is beyond “value for money”. Our wellness programme aim to help individuals find a sense of peace through the continuous process of learning and rebalancing, aided by special environments, specific knowledge and healing therapies. It is our sincere wish that at the end of their stay with us, our guests are able to bring and integrate their “discovery” into their daily life.

We hope you will return back home soon, perhaps with family to relive your fond memories in the Estate.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was travelling alone and as an older person I was very apprehensive ..although I am a seasoned traveller... i need not have worried ..this place is just perfect........the staff ...fantastic..the manager fantastic..he was effecient..very friendly..very attentive....and fun personalitiy.. I cried when i left.

The Pa looking after you is a brilliant idea..service excellent.,.....
I had various massages but the one with DEWA ..the head and shoulder massage was to die for ..i went back for a second one with him.....very strong hands.....beautiful setting over looking grenery.
food excellent......the breakfast in the bedroom was a real treat......candles by the bath when I arrived. I was in heaven.
now there are a lot of steps.. i hate walking...but managed them ok ..no probs if I can do it anyone can.

I went on the visit to see the healer advertised on the website ...in my opinion and yours may be different was a total waste of time and money,..8 mins and he was done.....

I did however book myself a tour operator before I arrived who was just brilliant ....fantastic company..effecient..caring..informative it was NYman Grago ar Bali Traditional Tours..very very very good value for money. tel no if younwant it..62 85 935 009 823. i never visit a place twice..but I will be back.....stunning

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear windy87,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write about our beautiful property – the words of praise from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself mean the world to us all here.

Whether you are travelling alone or as a couple or with your families, the Estate welcomes you. We are here to help our guest making real and lasting improvements to their lifestyle while learning to relax more completely. Every aspect of the Estate answers to this greater purpose—the design, facilities, staff, treatments, cuisine, accommodation and community. On a side note, we have run a “friendship table” during lunch or dinner in glow. It is a designated table in which can seat more guests than usual; where guests can come together and meet each other, rather than sitting separately alone, or in couples etc. We hope you had the opportunity to experience it.

Nestled across 23- acres of tropical forest clearings above the Ayung River in the heart of Begawan Village, the Estate is designed in complete harmony with nature thus steps are crucial in blending the building with nature. We are happy to know that you managed to “conquer” them. I hope if you ever stay with us again in the future, you will be able to enjoy our Estate Walk. It is designed for a leisure and challenging but fun walk. Its route allows our guest to explore and see the hidden beauty of the land – some areas can be such inspirations that we stop walking for a while. Enjoying the lush greenery, the nature sound while sitting down on the grass have helped many to see life in different way and get inspire to be more.

I have passed your compliment to Dewa, as well as our PA team and our Food and Beverage team. It is the employees that often leave the longest impression and create meaningful memory on our guests. We are very lucky to have such a talented team and I have already shared your comments with everyone at the resort.

We look forward to your return very soon where you will further explore what we have to offer.

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Komaneka at Tanggayuda
Komaneka at Tanggayuda
#1 of 6 in Kedewatan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!