“Gorgeous Resort, Solid Food, Mild "Be Active/Get Fit" Program”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the COMO Shambhala Estate in Ubud. The resort is stunning with lovely villas offering tranquility and complete privacy. Breakfast each morning was fantastic and the food overall was fresh and well-prepared. COMO's staff was top-notch and Paul was extremely professional, kind, and accommodating. There were significant internet connection problems during my stay, but apparently the internet goes down regularly in the area and it isn't the resort's fault.

I opted for the "Be Active/Get Fit" program as I was looking for a detox/more intensive physical/health program to kick off 2014. I found the activities offered as part of this program disappointing as they seem to be geared more towards older individuals who are not currently in very good physical condition. The aqua fitness class involved 15 minutes of walking around in water and then laying down on chairs with massage jets of varying pressures, the mini-yoga and qi gong classes were no longer than 30 minutes each and involved more laying down and breathing, the bike ride was nice but short, and the only time my heart rate actually increased was during my one individual personal training session (which was AMAZING!). I wouldn't recommend the Be Active/Get Fit program for anyone who is already in decent physical shape as it isn't much of a challenge.

That program aside, the actual resort is fantastic with stunning views and gorgeous pools. Walk down 350 steps to the rock pool with a view of the waterfall, it'll be worth it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ivy K
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear happykittn,

Greetings from Bali and the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

Thank you for sharing with us your experience – your praise of our stunning nature, our staff and our cuisine as well as your comments about our Wellness Programme are much appreciated.

We are glad that you liked and enjoyed the water garden, Kedara. The water is naturally rich in minerals and originates from our own natural source, which the villagers in Begawan believe to be a holy one with healing powers.

I am very sorry to read that you feel our Be Active programme was not suitable for your purpose. The programme starts with a wellness consultation where our guests can make informed decisions about the activities they would like to do.

Looking into the activities you have sampled, we sense that our more challenging Guided Adventures such as the Mount Abang Ascent or the combination of Mount Batur Descent and Kintamani Freewheel weren’t given a proper chance to show you their strength and uniqueness. Should you come back to the Estate, we hope you can try them and if luck would have it, they will be able to convince you of their worth.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon – till then, I leave you with best wishes of good health and happiness.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Approximately 20 mins from Ubud, this sprawling estate is up high in the jungle which only adds to the spectacular scenery which is lush and incredibly well maintained. The bungalows are the definition of eco chic and have their own infinity pool just on the door step. Everything you can think of has been catered to here. The room products are divine. A highlight is the food - who thought healthy could be so delicious! You feel miles away from anywhere (and you kind of are!) and all you need to do is relax.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NonieO
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear NonieO,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate and for the positive comments you made about our accommodation and the unique setting in the jungle.

We are very fortunate to be located in an environment that is still so pristine - amongst the jungle of the Begawan Village and right by the Ayung River. We hope that you had the chance to explore the property through our Estate Walk. As well as getting a good a work out, the walk really allows you to explore every corner of the property. We have to admit that despite the accessibly remote-location, we are still in such close proximity to the cultural centre of Bali – Ubud. In addition to the rice field treks, mountain biking and treatments at COMO Shambhala, we do hope that you also had the chance to explore the wonders of Ubud.

We also cannot be happier to hear that you had an amazing dining experience at COMO Shambhala Estate. Moreover, to learn that we were able to show that healthy food can be very tasty and satisfying. The amazing person behind the cuisine is COMO’s Group Executive Chef Amanda Gale. COMO Shambhala Cuisine is very much of Amanda’s making, with some 10 years invested in its sophisticated development. The cuisine is now available at all COMO Hotels and Resorts worldwide (except for The Halkin by COMO in London). Should you miss COMO Shambhala Cuisine, just find the closest property of COMO Hotels and Resorts and enjoy them!

We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back home at the Estate, and once again, thank you for your positive comments!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Como Shambhala, Begawan. I could not fault the location, my suite, the delicious food or the service.
As I was working I did not get an opportunity to sample the spa, but colleagues that did we're very pleased with the service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Philip_Pollard
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Philip_Pollard,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and recommending COMO Shambhala Estate to other readers. We cannot be happier to know that, in spite of having to work, you found your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate as most enjoyable.

We would love to welcome you back to the Estate if your future holiday plan includes visiting Bali again. We pride ourselves as a resort who provides a completely immersive, 360-degree wellbeing experience. In addition to our comprehensive treatments, activities and healthful COMO Shambhala Cuisine, we also believe adventure and cultural discovery should be part of the holistic approach. This can be experienced through your stay as our wellness programme guest or our Discover programme guest. We are also able to tailor our programmes to your specific requirements so you can get the most of your stay with the Estate.

We hope that you will be returning soon to the little Paradise in Begawan Village where you will be able to spend a little more time further exploring what we have to offer.

Kind regrads,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

The location is stunning and the bungalows were lovely we shared a huge pool with our neighbors who we never saw for our whole stay. The Estate as a whole is breathtaking and the spa had everything you might want I would recommend the hydro pool at which we were regular visitors. My wife convinced me to go to the Yoga sessions which as a novice and not the most flexible person I really took to especially as the view from the hut was beautiful. The staff couldn't do enough and our butler would arrange anything you could think of.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jonny p
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear jonny p,

Thank you for your review of COMO Shambhala Estate. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that you enjoyed your stay and sharing your kind comment to the world about our service and facilities.
Nestled across 23- acres of beautifully landscaped grounds in the heart of Begawan Village, the Estate is designed in complete harmony with nature. Our various types of accommodation – Private Villa, Retreat Villa and Rooms/Suites in Residences has made the Estate very appealing not just to those with specific wellness goals in mind, but also couples, independent travellers, groups and families seeking a peaceful holiday. Each type of accommodation is designed with privacy and comfort in mind. Thus, a sense of complete privacy can be maintain despite staying in Rooms/Suites in Residences and sharing the pool, expansive lounging and dining areas as your experience has illustrated.
We are very excited to learn that you enjoyed our Yoga session and had become a regular visitors in our hydrotherapy pool. Our Aqua Therapy classes (part of our complimentary activities for our wellness programme guest) and the personalized one-on-one Joint Mobilizing Massage Hydrotherapy treatment in the hydrotherapy pool –– are popular amongst our guests. Personally, I found it to be very interesting how water has mechanical effects and how our nervous system reacts to the pressure exerted by moving water.

Along with the COMO Shambhala Estate family, I do hope that we will have a chance to welcoming you back home to our little paradise at Begawan Village and to celebrate your annual Wedding anniversaries!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I visited this place in 2011, and never got round to reviewing this amazing place as my relationship fell prey to the famous "Bali Breakup curse". That said. I'm still glad I went- a present of a trip for my then boyfriend, for my birthday. Afterall, rumour has it Julia Roberts requested to be moved to this place when filming Eat, Pray, Love. And then asked after that... why she wasn't checked into this resort in the first place.

Now one of the BEST features of this place, was the personal butlers. Mine was Yanti, and she was amazing, and after my 5 day stay there, I was actually sad to leave her. I wanted to bring her home. The staff there are so attentive, I felt like I was being babied. Not a bad thing when you are on a vacation.

I stayed in Wind I think, as the estate is divided into different bungalows with the different elements. It had a huge pool that you share with fellow neighbours in your compound, as well as a common living area. But, we seldom saw any neighbours.

The whole set up is quite... remote. Other than bumping into our fellow bungalow neighbour at a pilates class, and a german couple during a hike, you could have told us that we were at the resort by ourselves, and we would have believed you.

But even though we had a huge room to ourselves, and a divine one at that, there were small things, like mildew on the curtains. A slight dampness in the common room- no doubt because it was seldom used being a common area shared by all four apartments in that bungalow.

Otherwise, the place was divine. The views almost everywhere were stunning. My favourite, was at the breakfast area that overlooked a ravine. I think its the waterfalls that some tours do their whitewater rafting at as well, as we often heard squeals and laughter ringing up.

I have long been a fan of the Como toiletries. And honestly, REPEL, their moisturiser+mozzie repellent is really one of the best in the world.

Food - I looked forward to the daily breakfasts that were equally divine, as they were delicious. But it was on this trip, that I actually dared to venture onto the raw food path. Their raw food pizzas were AMAZING. I have no idea what was on them, but it was this trip that had me go vegetarian for 2 years thereafter.

While I did love the lessons and classes available to all, this is not quite a detox trip. Unless you are truly determined to go for every single class available.

The yoga and pilates classes are challenging. And just trekking down to the area where the classes were held - a scenic spot overlooking a private pool - is enough to give you a gentle workout.

On the first day, the ex and myself might have overestimated our atheletic prowess however. We looked at all the different things available on our spa/class menu - and we were like... yeah! That biathalon thing sounds neat! A cycle through the padi fields. A trek. Sounds like fun! We can do this. And we signed up for it the next morning. It wasn't exactly cited as "TOUGH".

We decided we should sort of ease ourselves into the activities, and chose "a gentle stroll to explore the grounds of the Como Shambala Estate" on the evening we arrived. This was sort of sold as a 1 on 5 in terms of difficulty, with the bi-athalon thing sold as maybe a 2.5 to 3 upon 5?

But, less than 10 mins into the "GENTLE STROLL" by golly, I was huffing and puffing. And you really did get to see how immense the Como grounds were. We even took a break by a real waterfall. Natural. It was beautiful and all. But by the time we got back to the room after this gentle stroll, I was aching in places I never knew existed. I kid you not.

And yes. We did immediately cancel our bi-athalon adventure. After we ordered a raw food pizza. Of course.

I did also do a aqua-aerobics session in their pool. While enjoyable, and great for a low impact workout - we had just come from Ayana that boasted a huge aquatonics pool, so it sort of left us unimpressed. Though, if we had done this first, I probably would have been raving.

And while a lot of people do try other things from the spa - read: massages. I figured, with as much junk as I put into my body, I might as well get it all cleaned out. Besides, my partner at time was suffering from Bali belly, and he already was getting a "natural cleanse".

So yes, I did try out the colon cleansing. Now as this was my first experience, I wasn't sure what to expect. While the therapist was really helpful and assured me that everything would be well, I was kind of alarmed when she left me, pretty much sitting on a tiny straw up my hooha. Attached to a huge machine called "THE WATER ANGEL".

I remember asking her, "how will I know when I'm supposed to go..?"

And she said," You will just know."

Well. How right she was. I think I was grateful at that point, where I felt like my gut was about to explode, that she was no longer in the room.

It was pretty traumatic to be honest. But I swear I think I saw a toy car I swallowed when I was 4 float past in that tube where you watch whatever you are dispelling go by. Like a TV gone wrong. Or aquarium. I know. Bad analogy. But true. It might have been helpful to have soothing music. Or perhaps, maybe even an instructional video. Because at some points in moments of sheer panic, I did think to myself - what if I died right now. Because my gut exploded from letting too much water in.

Well. I am alive now and writing this.

And I really did like the yoghurt trifle thing they served me to balance my probiotics in my stomach after.

And I lived to tell the tale.

Oh. And just in case - don't go to Como with someone you're trying to patch things up with. While the Estate is beautiful, and really vast, and highly tempting to tell the other person to go get lost in. Most of the times, you really are pretty much alone.

It really is a comforting retreat. And I honestly wish I had gone without him.

=P

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SaraAnnK_sasky

Dear SaraAnnK_sasky,

Thank you for writing such a heartfelt review of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate.

As a wellness resort, we aim to create a haven where our guest can learn something new, try something new and possibly, start new habits. It is a pleasure to read that our raw food has inspired you to go vegetarian; I have passed your compliment to our F&B team and to our Executive Chef, Heidi. They were overjoyed to learn that their work has such impact to your life.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the room. Dampness and mildew are certainly some of the challenges we experience due to our location, but we are lucky to have fresh breezes continually blowing through our rooms to air them daily. As part of our yearly maintenance, we also have changed the curtains in Bayugita Residence with new material that’s more suitable for the environment.

Thank you very much for being a fan of our COMO Shambhala Invigorate amenities. Many have remarked how uplifting and mood enhancing our amenities’ scent is and how it has become the signature scent of the COMO brand. As part of our commitment to healthy, holistic living, we base them on the principles of aromatherapy – even for our repellent. We use only premium-grade pure essential oils and always remain free of harmful substances.

We look forward to your return where you can further explore what we have to offer.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Returned last week from a (6) night stay and it was such a wonderful experience. I did the rejuvenation package as plenty of spa treatments, even adding an additional massage. I hope it is the first of many visits.

The resort is absolutely beautiful situated on slope down to the river. Several staff care for the grounds on a daily basis and keep it pristine. All of the hotel staff know you by name and I had a very sweet and helpful assistant during my stay, Diane. I found all staff to be so kind and helpful and they seemed genuinely content.

I stayed in umabona (earth) accommodation area - which was 4 separate accommodations - as I was solo, I had opted for the garden type room. The room was a decent size and I enjoyed lounging on the balcony between classes. There was also a table and 2 chairs on the entry balcony so a decent amount of outside space. My room was just next to the area pool. The bed was very comfortable and I love the shower opening to the forrest. It was probably 20 plus stairs in and out of the area. My only negative comment would be that it lacked internal seating of any type.

I highly recommend the rice field trek (watch where you step), yoga, pilates and aqua therapy. The instructors were so supportive and nice, especially Amy and Mark. I participated in all the classes so my schedule was quite active. The estate 'walk" is 100s and 100s of steps up, down and around so be prepared for the exertion - but definitely worth it as the grounds are so lovely - waterfalls, spring pools, greenery and flowers, the river. It is so peaceful and tranquil. At any time you can also walk down to the spring pools, absolutely beautiful. The water was a bit too cold for me, however, just to lounge around and explore the paths in the area was so enjoyable.

All of my spa treatments were fantastic, all 3 massages were the best I ever had and I spa frequently. I highly recommend doing a treatment down by the river, I did a massage at Mayyuri, just be prepared to walk up quite a few stairs after the pampering. The facials and body treatments were also very good.

I ate all of my meals at Glow, mostly from the raw menu. Same is available via room service. Breakfasts were my favorite. Food was amazing and I often found myself eating appetisers, main and dessert. The fresh juices were so refreshing. Suppose you burn it off as there are steps everywhere (although you can take a buggy to avoid some) and activity-based classes.

Everywhere you go on the resort, there is a great view. It is so beautiful and feels intimate. I am not sure of the occupancy that week but I would say it was a mix of couples and solo, everyone was so friendly, mostly the same people in the classes.

I did hire a hotel driver to take me shopping in the area one afternoon. I am glad that I did as although it is a new and modern airport in Bali, shopping for local items was somewhat limited.

I would suggest that the resort add some evening activities/classes/lectures as there is nothing much to do on the grounds at night except eat and spa and I suppose relax :)

Room Tip: Strongly recommend fast track immigration service at airport on arrival, took less than 10 minutes t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jmdubai
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear jmdubai,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

To say 'thank you' for your thorough review does not quite seem enough. You have painted such a colourful picture of your experience when staying with us at COMO Shambhala Estate. No doubt many future travellers will consider to book a stay with us as a result of reading your post. Adopting a line from Casablanca movie, we hope your stay with us is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Our Rejuvenation Wellness Program has been known to bring sense of “being renewed” to people who took it. Our offered treatments facilitate the damage repair of, also strengthen, our body. For the skin, there are facial treatments using COMO Shambhala's signature PURIFY products as well as Guinot. For the body, there are massages, wraps and baths plus yoga or pranayama breathing lessons. Our nutritionist may also assess food intolerances and provide enjoyable dietary solutions for improving weight, energy and skin, as well as hormonal and digestive health. The Personal Assistants are there for our wellness guest for the duration of the stay to ease achievement of any goals set or just simply encourage relaxation.

I have passed your compliment to Diana, Amy and Mark, as well as our COMO Shambhala team and our Food and Beverage team. It is the staff that often leave the longest impression on our guests so it is fantastic that you felt they really made a difference for you. We are very lucky indeed to have such a talented team and I have already shared your comments with everyone at the resort.

The Estate's residential approach immerses you in a positive, holistic and healing experience from the moment of arrival. Our other wellness facilities occupy a jungle clearing soaked in light, while villas and suites are positioned all over the 23-acre site. All of these enabling our guest to experience privacy while achieving truest state of relaxation. Whilst our daily schedule of activities gives opportunities to meet other should our guest wish it.

Your thought on Uma Bona (House of the Earth) room’s internal sitting area is truly appreciated. We are working on various possibilities on it while still maintaining the Majapahit palaces’ influenced interior design.

I am particularly glad that you made a special mention of the Estate Walk and our outdoor treatment room Mayuri. Our daily Estate Walk has introduced many hidden and inspiring parts of our resorts to our guests. Our Kedara (Our Water Garden) is set amidst the lush and manicured vegetation and voices of nature. The nearby outdoor treatment rooms certainly are the right setting for our intuitive, purposeful and rejuvenating spa treatments. Therefore, I couldn’t agree with you more on your recommendation.

We have always advocated that evening time was for relaxation in the Estate since according to most natural systems of medicine, evening is not a time for activity, but rest and recuperation. On other hand, your suggestion did have some merit, we thank you for it. We would love to hear your opinion on an opened-air movie night with healthy snack as an option of night activity. Should you near the vicinity of the Estate, please drop by and share your thought.

Your new family at the Estate is look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just got back from spending 8 days at Como Shambhala. I had the get fit package. It was amazing. The activities were great, the spa, the guides, the food, the room, etc. The staff did everything possible to make my stay enjoyable. I loved it. The only thing that I would suggest to them is to have some sort of communal table for meals, especially for the ones traveling alone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Joumana F,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for your upbeat and favourable review of COMO Shambhala Estate. As a wellness programme that incorporates wellness consultations, fitness assessments and daily personal training, with some sessions conducted outdoors to further inspire exercise; it is our pleasure to know that you found Be Active (Get Fit) programme amazing. We hope that you left the Estate with a personalised map of how to reclaim your body, armed with core techniques so you can continue the amazing experience at home.

8 days is certainly an ample time to try out all of our daily activities. Hopefully, you enjoyed them all! If your future journey brings you to us again, you may want to look into one of our guided challenges: Mount (Mt.) Abang Ascend. As the 3rd highest mountain in Bali, Mt. Abang is mostly visited by the Balinese instead of international visitor. The Balinese cultural and nature authenticity can be felt in the trek and it gives us opportunities to explore in leisure. Along the path, you can stop and pray at three Balinese temples with the third one on top of the mountain. Time it correctly, then you will be a witness to a spectacular sunrise. The Mount (Mt.) Abang Ascend could be, a spiritual journey to the top of high spirited atmosphere, should we wish it.

We would like to thank you for the “communal table” idea. We have run sporadically a “friendship table” during lunch or dinner in glow. It is a designated table in which can seat more guests than usual; where guests can come together and meet each other, rather than sitting separately alone, or in couples etc. We are now looking at the possibility of making it as a more frequent occurrence.

I will end my response with hopes of greeting you back to the Estate in the near future and a quote from Mark Twain "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 199 in Ubud
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!