“Start of an amazing honeymoon”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Payangan
Truro, United Kingdom
“Start of an amazing honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

The location is stunning and the bungalows were lovely we shared a huge pool with our neighbors who we never saw for our whole stay. The Estate as a whole is breathtaking and the spa had everything you might want I would recommend the hydro pool at which we were regular visitors. My wife convinced me to go to the Yoga sessions which as a novice and not the most flexible person I really took to especially as the view from the hut was beautiful. The staff couldn't do enough and our butler would arrange anything you could think of.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonny p
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear jonny p,

Thank you for your review of COMO Shambhala Estate. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that you enjoyed your stay and sharing your kind comment to the world about our service and facilities.
Nestled across 23- acres of beautifully landscaped grounds in the heart of Begawan Village, the Estate is designed in complete harmony with nature. Our various types of accommodation – Private Villa, Retreat Villa and Rooms/Suites in Residences has made the Estate very appealing not just to those with specific wellness goals in mind, but also couples, independent travellers, groups and families seeking a peaceful holiday. Each type of accommodation is designed with privacy and comfort in mind. Thus, a sense of complete privacy can be maintain despite staying in Rooms/Suites in Residences and sharing the pool, expansive lounging and dining areas as your experience has illustrated.
We are very excited to learn that you enjoyed our Yoga session and had become a regular visitors in our hydrotherapy pool. Our Aqua Therapy classes (part of our complimentary activities for our wellness programme guest) and the personalized one-on-one Joint Mobilizing Massage Hydrotherapy treatment in the hydrotherapy pool –– are popular amongst our guests. Personally, I found it to be very interesting how water has mechanical effects and how our nervous system reacts to the pressure exerted by moving water.

Along with the COMO Shambhala Estate family, I do hope that we will have a chance to welcoming you back home to our little paradise at Begawan Village and to celebrate your annual Wedding anniversaries!

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I visited this place in 2011, and never got round to reviewing this amazing place as my relationship fell prey to the famous "Bali Breakup curse". That said. I'm still glad I went- a present of a trip for my then boyfriend, for my birthday. Afterall, rumour has it Julia Roberts requested to be moved to this place when filming Eat, Pray, Love. And then asked after that... why she wasn't checked into this resort in the first place.

Now one of the BEST features of this place, was the personal butlers. Mine was Yanti, and she was amazing, and after my 5 day stay there, I was actually sad to leave her. I wanted to bring her home. The staff there are so attentive, I felt like I was being babied. Not a bad thing when you are on a vacation.

I stayed in Wind I think, as the estate is divided into different bungalows with the different elements. It had a huge pool that you share with fellow neighbours in your compound, as well as a common living area. But, we seldom saw any neighbours.

The whole set up is quite... remote. Other than bumping into our fellow bungalow neighbour at a pilates class, and a german couple during a hike, you could have told us that we were at the resort by ourselves, and we would have believed you.

But even though we had a huge room to ourselves, and a divine one at that, there were small things, like mildew on the curtains. A slight dampness in the common room- no doubt because it was seldom used being a common area shared by all four apartments in that bungalow.

Otherwise, the place was divine. The views almost everywhere were stunning. My favourite, was at the breakfast area that overlooked a ravine. I think its the waterfalls that some tours do their whitewater rafting at as well, as we often heard squeals and laughter ringing up.

I have long been a fan of the Como toiletries. And honestly, REPEL, their moisturiser+mozzie repellent is really one of the best in the world.

Food - I looked forward to the daily breakfasts that were equally divine, as they were delicious. But it was on this trip, that I actually dared to venture onto the raw food path. Their raw food pizzas were AMAZING. I have no idea what was on them, but it was this trip that had me go vegetarian for 2 years thereafter.

While I did love the lessons and classes available to all, this is not quite a detox trip. Unless you are truly determined to go for every single class available.

The yoga and pilates classes are challenging. And just trekking down to the area where the classes were held - a scenic spot overlooking a private pool - is enough to give you a gentle workout.

On the first day, the ex and myself might have overestimated our atheletic prowess however. We looked at all the different things available on our spa/class menu - and we were like... yeah! That biathalon thing sounds neat! A cycle through the padi fields. A trek. Sounds like fun! We can do this. And we signed up for it the next morning. It wasn't exactly cited as "TOUGH".

We decided we should sort of ease ourselves into the activities, and chose "a gentle stroll to explore the grounds of the Como Shambala Estate" on the evening we arrived. This was sort of sold as a 1 on 5 in terms of difficulty, with the bi-athalon thing sold as maybe a 2.5 to 3 upon 5?

But, less than 10 mins into the "GENTLE STROLL" by golly, I was huffing and puffing. And you really did get to see how immense the Como grounds were. We even took a break by a real waterfall. Natural. It was beautiful and all. But by the time we got back to the room after this gentle stroll, I was aching in places I never knew existed. I kid you not.

And yes. We did immediately cancel our bi-athalon adventure. After we ordered a raw food pizza. Of course.

I did also do a aqua-aerobics session in their pool. While enjoyable, and great for a low impact workout - we had just come from Ayana that boasted a huge aquatonics pool, so it sort of left us unimpressed. Though, if we had done this first, I probably would have been raving.

And while a lot of people do try other things from the spa - read: massages. I figured, with as much junk as I put into my body, I might as well get it all cleaned out. Besides, my partner at time was suffering from Bali belly, and he already was getting a "natural cleanse".

So yes, I did try out the colon cleansing. Now as this was my first experience, I wasn't sure what to expect. While the therapist was really helpful and assured me that everything would be well, I was kind of alarmed when she left me, pretty much sitting on a tiny straw up my hooha. Attached to a huge machine called "THE WATER ANGEL".

I remember asking her, "how will I know when I'm supposed to go..?"

And she said," You will just know."

Well. How right she was. I think I was grateful at that point, where I felt like my gut was about to explode, that she was no longer in the room.

It was pretty traumatic to be honest. But I swear I think I saw a toy car I swallowed when I was 4 float past in that tube where you watch whatever you are dispelling go by. Like a TV gone wrong. Or aquarium. I know. Bad analogy. But true. It might have been helpful to have soothing music. Or perhaps, maybe even an instructional video. Because at some points in moments of sheer panic, I did think to myself - what if I died right now. Because my gut exploded from letting too much water in.

Well. I am alive now and writing this.

And I really did like the yoghurt trifle thing they served me to balance my probiotics in my stomach after.

And I lived to tell the tale.

Oh. And just in case - don't go to Como with someone you're trying to patch things up with. While the Estate is beautiful, and really vast, and highly tempting to tell the other person to go get lost in. Most of the times, you really are pretty much alone.

It really is a comforting retreat. And I honestly wish I had gone without him.

=P

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SaraAnnK_sasky
Dear SaraAnnK_sasky,

Thank you for writing such a heartfelt review of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate.

As a wellness resort, we aim to create a haven where our guest can learn something new, try something new and possibly, start new habits. It is a pleasure to read that our raw food has inspired you to go vegetarian; I have passed your compliment to our F&B team and to our Executive Chef, Heidi. They were overjoyed to learn that their work has such impact to your life.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the room. Dampness and mildew are certainly some of the challenges we experience due to our location, but we are lucky to have fresh breezes continually blowing through our rooms to air them daily. As part of our yearly maintenance, we also have changed the curtains in Bayugita Residence with new material that’s more suitable for the environment.

Thank you very much for being a fan of our COMO Shambhala Invigorate amenities. Many have remarked how uplifting and mood enhancing our amenities’ scent is and how it has become the signature scent of the COMO brand. As part of our commitment to healthy, holistic living, we base them on the principles of aromatherapy – even for our repellent. We use only premium-grade pure essential oils and always remain free of harmful substances.

We look forward to your return where you can further explore what we have to offer.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Returned last week from a (6) night stay and it was such a wonderful experience. I did the rejuvenation package as plenty of spa treatments, even adding an additional massage. I hope it is the first of many visits.

The resort is absolutely beautiful situated on slope down to the river. Several staff care for the grounds on a daily basis and keep it pristine. All of the hotel staff know you by name and I had a very sweet and helpful assistant during my stay, Diane. I found all staff to be so kind and helpful and they seemed genuinely content.

I stayed in umabona (earth) accommodation area - which was 4 separate accommodations - as I was solo, I had opted for the garden type room. The room was a decent size and I enjoyed lounging on the balcony between classes. There was also a table and 2 chairs on the entry balcony so a decent amount of outside space. My room was just next to the area pool. The bed was very comfortable and I love the shower opening to the forrest. It was probably 20 plus stairs in and out of the area. My only negative comment would be that it lacked internal seating of any type.

I highly recommend the rice field trek (watch where you step), yoga, pilates and aqua therapy. The instructors were so supportive and nice, especially Amy and Mark. I participated in all the classes so my schedule was quite active. The estate 'walk" is 100s and 100s of steps up, down and around so be prepared for the exertion - but definitely worth it as the grounds are so lovely - waterfalls, spring pools, greenery and flowers, the river. It is so peaceful and tranquil. At any time you can also walk down to the spring pools, absolutely beautiful. The water was a bit too cold for me, however, just to lounge around and explore the paths in the area was so enjoyable.

All of my spa treatments were fantastic, all 3 massages were the best I ever had and I spa frequently. I highly recommend doing a treatment down by the river, I did a massage at Mayyuri, just be prepared to walk up quite a few stairs after the pampering. The facials and body treatments were also very good.

I ate all of my meals at Glow, mostly from the raw menu. Same is available via room service. Breakfasts were my favorite. Food was amazing and I often found myself eating appetisers, main and dessert. The fresh juices were so refreshing. Suppose you burn it off as there are steps everywhere (although you can take a buggy to avoid some) and activity-based classes.

Everywhere you go on the resort, there is a great view. It is so beautiful and feels intimate. I am not sure of the occupancy that week but I would say it was a mix of couples and solo, everyone was so friendly, mostly the same people in the classes.

I did hire a hotel driver to take me shopping in the area one afternoon. I am glad that I did as although it is a new and modern airport in Bali, shopping for local items was somewhat limited.

I would suggest that the resort add some evening activities/classes/lectures as there is nothing much to do on the grounds at night except eat and spa and I suppose relax :)

Room Tip: Strongly recommend fast track immigration service at airport on arrival, took less than 10 minutes t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jmdubai
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear jmdubai,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

To say 'thank you' for your thorough review does not quite seem enough. You have painted such a colourful picture of your experience when staying with us at COMO Shambhala Estate. No doubt many future travellers will consider to book a stay with us as a result of reading your post. Adopting a line from Casablanca movie, we hope your stay with us is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Our Rejuvenation Wellness Program has been known to bring sense of “being renewed” to people who took it. Our offered treatments facilitate the damage repair of, also strengthen, our body. For the skin, there are facial treatments using COMO Shambhala's signature PURIFY products as well as Guinot. For the body, there are massages, wraps and baths plus yoga or pranayama breathing lessons. Our nutritionist may also assess food intolerances and provide enjoyable dietary solutions for improving weight, energy and skin, as well as hormonal and digestive health. The Personal Assistants are there for our wellness guest for the duration of the stay to ease achievement of any goals set or just simply encourage relaxation.

I have passed your compliment to Diana, Amy and Mark, as well as our COMO Shambhala team and our Food and Beverage team. It is the staff that often leave the longest impression on our guests so it is fantastic that you felt they really made a difference for you. We are very lucky indeed to have such a talented team and I have already shared your comments with everyone at the resort.

The Estate's residential approach immerses you in a positive, holistic and healing experience from the moment of arrival. Our other wellness facilities occupy a jungle clearing soaked in light, while villas and suites are positioned all over the 23-acre site. All of these enabling our guest to experience privacy while achieving truest state of relaxation. Whilst our daily schedule of activities gives opportunities to meet other should our guest wish it.

Your thought on Uma Bona (House of the Earth) room’s internal sitting area is truly appreciated. We are working on various possibilities on it while still maintaining the Majapahit palaces’ influenced interior design.

I am particularly glad that you made a special mention of the Estate Walk and our outdoor treatment room Mayuri. Our daily Estate Walk has introduced many hidden and inspiring parts of our resorts to our guests. Our Kedara (Our Water Garden) is set amidst the lush and manicured vegetation and voices of nature. The nearby outdoor treatment rooms certainly are the right setting for our intuitive, purposeful and rejuvenating spa treatments. Therefore, I couldn’t agree with you more on your recommendation.

We have always advocated that evening time was for relaxation in the Estate since according to most natural systems of medicine, evening is not a time for activity, but rest and recuperation. On other hand, your suggestion did have some merit, we thank you for it. We would love to hear your opinion on an opened-air movie night with healthy snack as an option of night activity. Should you near the vicinity of the Estate, please drop by and share your thought.

Your new family at the Estate is look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just got back from spending 8 days at Como Shambhala. I had the get fit package. It was amazing. The activities were great, the spa, the guides, the food, the room, etc. The staff did everything possible to make my stay enjoyable. I loved it. The only thing that I would suggest to them is to have some sort of communal table for meals, especially for the ones traveling alone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Joumana F,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for your upbeat and favourable review of COMO Shambhala Estate. As a wellness programme that incorporates wellness consultations, fitness assessments and daily personal training, with some sessions conducted outdoors to further inspire exercise; it is our pleasure to know that you found Be Active (Get Fit) programme amazing. We hope that you left the Estate with a personalised map of how to reclaim your body, armed with core techniques so you can continue the amazing experience at home.

8 days is certainly an ample time to try out all of our daily activities. Hopefully, you enjoyed them all! If your future journey brings you to us again, you may want to look into one of our guided challenges: Mount (Mt.) Abang Ascend. As the 3rd highest mountain in Bali, Mt. Abang is mostly visited by the Balinese instead of international visitor. The Balinese cultural and nature authenticity can be felt in the trek and it gives us opportunities to explore in leisure. Along the path, you can stop and pray at three Balinese temples with the third one on top of the mountain. Time it correctly, then you will be a witness to a spectacular sunrise. The Mount (Mt.) Abang Ascend could be, a spiritual journey to the top of high spirited atmosphere, should we wish it.

We would like to thank you for the “communal table” idea. We have run sporadically a “friendship table” during lunch or dinner in glow. It is a designated table in which can seat more guests than usual; where guests can come together and meet each other, rather than sitting separately alone, or in couples etc. We are now looking at the possibility of making it as a more frequent occurrence.

I will end my response with hopes of greeting you back to the Estate in the near future and a quote from Mark Twain "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My sister and I visited Como in March 2013 and it was a truly memorable and wonderful escape. The estate is a pristine oasis and not a detail is missed throughout. The rooms are amazing, the food is gourmet (and healthy) and the spa is unbeatable.

I decided to come after a severe injury and wanted to cleanse mind and body after months on medications and pain killers. I left feeling totally relaxed, re-energised and tranquil.

We did one of the retreat packages and had a mixture of spa treatments and other healing sessions including dieticians, acupuncture, massages, and doctor assessments to guide us on healthy life changes. The Pilates and yoga were wonderful also.

I will come back again!

Room Tip: there are lots of stairs to get to some rooms so check before you go if you have issues with steep s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Debann23,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

First of all, thank you for still remembering us fondly long after your visit! Nothing makes us happier than to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and sharing your kind comments to the world about our service and facilities.

I am delighted to note that you left COMO Shambhala Estate feeling totally relaxed and re-energised. Located in Banjar Begawan, a village famous for its holy springs, the Estate is blessed with the healing grace of nature. In Begawan village there are three holy springs by the name of Toya Mampeh, Toya Langse and Toya Bangal. The first is actually located on the premises of the Estate. The belief is that Toya Mampeh – we call it the Source - has the magical power to cleanse the heart and mind and to cure illness. It is said that the water contains more minerals than water from other sources thus the healing power is from. We use the water from the Source as our main water source in the Estate as part of our guest’s health-giving experience during their stay. The Joint Mobilising Massage in our hydrotherapy pool is an excellent example of the usage of the water. The buoyancy of the heated water provide a relaxing medium in which pain relieving exercises can be carried out – led by our experienced instructor - and thus improve general fitness level. The water itself will serve as a powerful detoxifier for the body helping to defend against free radicals -- the main cause of skin aging.

We hope we can welcome you back home to the Estate and help you to explore new activities.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Como Shambhala is not only a stunning location but also the service is absolutely wonderful. I tried the Como Shambhala Massage in a very special set up with views to the mountains and river...unforgettable experience!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank facchs
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear facchs,

Greetings from the sunny and beautiful Ubud!

First of all, thank you very much for your wonderful review.

Set on a lush but manicured nature, the Estate is designed to be a ‘Retreat for Change’ with resident experts from therapist, a yoga teacher, Ayurvedic doctor to nutritionist. We cannot be happier to hear that you had an unforgettable spa experience at COMO Shambhala Estate. Our treatments are designed to relieve muscle tension, help with injuries and induce powerful relaxation. I hope beside trying our signature COMO Shambhala Massage, you also had an opportunity to experience our signature holistic facial - COMO Shambhala Purify Holistic Facial. Using PURIFY-infused steam compresses and a warm herbal bolus massage, this treatment promotes a clear mind and leaves skin feeling totally fresh and hydrated. If you have not, maybe in your next visit you can consider it.

Myself and the team at COMO Shambhala Estate are very much looking forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Arabian Gulf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

With about 300 staff to 30 villas, the property is very exclusive. We stayed at the Kasumalaya villa, which is a two bedroom villa with private pool. It was wonderfully private and quiet.

The food was delicious, fresh and healthy. We have never had such delicious vegetables!

The staff were excellent. From our butler, to the masseuses ( I recommend Dee Dee for the wraps and massages) and even Dr. D, the ayurvedic doctor. I commend the wonderful service enough!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and most have lots of steps, so if that is a problem stay in one of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear iloo,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for your positive review on your stay with us.

As a wellness retreat, COMO Shambhala Estate aims to create a 360degree Holistic experience, dedicated to the well-being of mind, body and spirit. Creating a haven that encourages you to make real and lasting improvements to your lifestyle while learning to relax more completely has become imperative in this life change experience. No expense was spared in creating this haven. From the 300 staff being mentioned only 20% of them being seen by the guest. On behalf of our unsung heroes, we would like to express our gratitude for the recognition.

We appreciate your kind words on our Retreat Villa, Kusumalaya. Should you feel inclined to do so, you can consider one of our five residences in your next visit. Their designs were inspired by the five elements, with the entire concept taking 10 years to build. The aesthetic mixes Asian and European influences, handmade furniture, Indonesian artefacts and architectural details that exude the spirit of the region.

COMO Shambhala Cuisine is developed by COMO's Group Executive Chef, Amanda Gale. It is designed to maximize personal performance, increase concentration and energy and calibrate blood-sugar levels. We hope that on your next visit to Bali you will have the chance to try our Sunday Brunch at Glow. While enjoying the brunch, you can also watch local village girls practice traditional dance to the sounds of the gamelan orchestra. A perfect backdrop for a perfectly relaxed Sunday.

Didi, Dr. D and the rest of 300 staff are hoping to welcome you back home to our little Paradise in the near future.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 195 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
Hanging Gardens of Bali

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!