“The best massage I've had in my life”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Como Shambhala is not only a stunning location but also the service is absolutely wonderful. I tried the Como Shambhala Massage in a very special set up with views to the mountains and river...unforgettable experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank facchs
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear facchs,

Greetings from the sunny and beautiful Ubud!

First of all, thank you very much for your wonderful review.

Set on a lush but manicured nature, the Estate is designed to be a ‘Retreat for Change’ with resident experts from therapist, a yoga teacher, Ayurvedic doctor to nutritionist. We cannot be happier to hear that you had an unforgettable spa experience at COMO Shambhala Estate. Our treatments are designed to relieve muscle tension, help with injuries and induce powerful relaxation. I hope beside trying our signature COMO Shambhala Massage, you also had an opportunity to experience our signature holistic facial - COMO Shambhala Purify Holistic Facial. Using PURIFY-infused steam compresses and a warm herbal bolus massage, this treatment promotes a clear mind and leaves skin feeling totally fresh and hydrated. If you have not, maybe in your next visit you can consider it.

Myself and the team at COMO Shambhala Estate are very much looking forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

With about 300 staff to 30 villas, the property is very exclusive. We stayed at the Kasumalaya villa, which is a two bedroom villa with private pool. It was wonderfully private and quiet.

The food was delicious, fresh and healthy. We have never had such delicious vegetables!

The staff were excellent. From our butler, to the masseuses ( I recommend Dee Dee for the wraps and massages) and even Dr. D, the ayurvedic doctor. I commend the wonderful service enough!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and most have lots of steps, so if that is a problem stay in one of the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear iloo,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for your positive review on your stay with us.

As a wellness retreat, COMO Shambhala Estate aims to create a 360degree Holistic experience, dedicated to the well-being of mind, body and spirit. Creating a haven that encourages you to make real and lasting improvements to your lifestyle while learning to relax more completely has become imperative in this life change experience. No expense was spared in creating this haven. From the 300 staff being mentioned only 20% of them being seen by the guest. On behalf of our unsung heroes, we would like to express our gratitude for the recognition.

We appreciate your kind words on our Retreat Villa, Kusumalaya. Should you feel inclined to do so, you can consider one of our five residences in your next visit. Their designs were inspired by the five elements, with the entire concept taking 10 years to build. The aesthetic mixes Asian and European influences, handmade furniture, Indonesian artefacts and architectural details that exude the spirit of the region.

COMO Shambhala Cuisine is developed by COMO's Group Executive Chef, Amanda Gale. It is designed to maximize personal performance, increase concentration and energy and calibrate blood-sugar levels. We hope that on your next visit to Bali you will have the chance to try our Sunday Brunch at Glow. While enjoying the brunch, you can also watch local village girls practice traditional dance to the sounds of the gamelan orchestra. A perfect backdrop for a perfectly relaxed Sunday.

Didi, Dr. D and the rest of 300 staff are hoping to welcome you back home to our little Paradise in the near future.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We wanted to spend some quality time together "bonding" and my daughter did all the research online looking for the "perfect" place. She suggested Como Shambhala Estate (CSE) to me, but I was not sold on the idea and definitely not convinced that a "jungle" would cut it for me.

Whilst I was in NZ the week before, she sent me a text to say that she has made an executive decision and that we are booked into CSE for a whole week. A whole week??? I was dreading coming to CSE even though I have read all the good reviews on TripAdvisor.

When we arrived, it was close to midnight, so everything was in darkness and being tired and sleepy does not help. We were allocated the Wanakasa Residence, in a terrace suite so it made it even worse as I am recovering from a fractured femur and the stairs leading to our room would be a nightmare to climb up and down everyday for the next 7 days.

However, once we entered the room, I had a good vibe that I was in for a treat for the next few days to come. I could not wait for the break of dawn. When I drew the curtains one by one, I was mesmerised by the jungle!!!

It got better as the hours and days went by .... the estate grounds are immaculate, the staff are super friendly and helpful, and who needs a PA when on holidays??? Martini organised us so well that even we surprised ourselves that we want to wake up at 6am to get ready for an estate walk. I never ever walk much ..... but there is something "magical" about CSE .... it must be in the jungle air .... it makes you do a lot of unexpected things!!!

Although my leg is not the best, I managed to do the estate walk. The Spring pool area is out of this world. It is so tranquil and breathtaking and the inviting water in the Spring pools are very invigorating. I also thoroughly enjoyed the facilities of the aqua therapy pool which is of world class standards.

We had a spa treatment every single day alternating sessions of 1hr and 2hr sessions daily. We love to indulge and pamper ourselves, and if you love massages/facials/warm wraps as much as we do, this is the best place to be!!! Everyday, we walk out feeling like we are on "cloud 9'' and every therapist performs well here.

I class myself as a "foodie" and both restaurants produced food of fine dining standards. Preparation was very consistent as I ordered some of my favourite dishes a few times over the 7 days and the kitchen even made "grass" aka salads taste amazing!

Back in Melbourne now after a week in "jungle paradise". What can I say except that CSE does live up to all the hype you read in TripAdvisor and it has certainly ticked all the boxes for me!!! I highly recommend CSE to all my family and friends and hope to return again soon.

I cannot remember all the names, but everyone was excellent .... but special thanks to Ferry, Martini, Made for showing us his family home, and the ever so smiling and friendly Mr "R" (manager in charge) .... you know who you are!!! Pardon me for the mental block at this hour, but I just wanted to post this now on Trip Advisor before I go to bed as I told you I would do so and its not just the Estate itself, but all the staff in CSE that made our 7 days in the jungle feel like we were in paradise! Absolutely loved it!!!

I am very happy my daughter chose Como Shambhala Estate for us as we both had an amazing time together and for anyone thinking of going to CSE, it is a no brainer.... just do it!

Room Tip: If you have bad legs .... choose the one bedroom villa at the back of the spa!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ozziemonyet
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear ozziemonyet,

Greetings from the Island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an enticing Trip Advisor review. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and sharing your kind comment to the world about our service and facilities. We are glad to hear that we have managed to convince you that jungle can be a good place to spend quality time for “bonding”.

Your review is aptly titled. COMO Shambhala Estate comprises more than 8 hectares of landscaped woodland on an elevated promontory bordered on two sides by the Ayung River, the mother of Balinese rivers. Here in the lushness of Banjar Begawan, we are blessed with the healing grace of nature. The calming “Zen” energy of The Estate permeate its entire grounds and we do our best to create seamless services which is evident from the understated design, the Personal Assistants that you met, specially curated activities, beautifully prepared meals and care taken with our unique gardens. The Estate is a “Jungle Paradise” with a touch of unassuming luxury. Coincidently the mentioned Wanakasa Residence, the word Wanakasa means ‘Forest in the Mist’ in Sanskrit – I always like to think of the Suites there as luxurious tree houses perched above the Ayung River gorge.

We are so glad to know that you were able to enjoy our delicious COMO cuisine and feel our "grass" aka salads taste amazing. We have passed your compliments to our Food and Beverage team as well as our Executive Chef, and they are delighted to learn that they have helped making your stay memorable.

Kudos for you on your estate walk! Our Estate Walk is designed for a leisure and challenging but fun walk. Its route allows our guest to explore and see the hidden beauty of the land – some areas can be such inspirations that we stop walking for a while. Enjoying the lush greenery, the nature sound while sitting down on the grass have helped many to see life in different way and get inspire to be more. Without question I would have to agree with you just how special the Spring Pools at Kedara are. Between the pristine air, fresh spring water and gorgeous vistas, there really is nowhere else you would rather be. It is also such a perfect resting venue for the Estate walk too.

7-days with us, certainly allowed you to experience various treatments at COMO Shambhala. We do hope you had tried our Hydrotherapy treatments as well. The treatment can do wonder for recovering from a fractured femur, especially combining our Hydrotherapy Circuit Instruction with the personalized one-on-one Joint Mobilizing Massage Hydrotherapy treatment. I find it so interesting how water has mechanical effects and how our nervous system reacts to the pressure exerted by moving water.

Martini, Ferry, Made, Mr. “R” and the whole team at COMO Shambhala Estate look forward to welcoming you back home for another “bonding” time!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

COMO Shambhala Estate & Spa benefits by having an experienced hotelier Paul Linder as the General Manager. The various residences are dotted over the landscape and each of the 4 and 5 residences has a private pool. There are also villas. There is a main pool for the complex as well as a walk down to the river that will be your exercise for the day. The resident consultants will round off your spa experience. There are also specific yoga and wellness retreats. The spa is spectacular, a must try is the Royal Lulur Treatment in incredible spa rooms with lush jungle garden outdoor showers. The two restaurants Glow and Kudus give the clients and option as to the type of food served. Having been to many of COMO Resort, this certainly tops the cake.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jenni L

Dear Jenni L,

Greetings from the Paradise in Begawan Village!

First of all, thank you very much for your kind review on COMO Shambhala Estate and your vote of confidence in me.

I truly appreciate you noticing all the facilities and benefits we are providing during your short stay with us.

Our Javanese Royal Lulur treatment is truly a pampering experience for everyone. It is such a cooling treatment, a combination of massage skin exfoliation and a cooling yogurt application - follows by a very relaxing bath and nourishing lotion application. I believe you did the treatment in our indoor treatment rooms – Ushira. I hope in your next visit you will have the opportunity to try one of our four outdoor treatment rooms in Kedara (meaning ‘Water Garden’ in Sanskrit). Built into jungle clearings and located above the Ayung River, it is a perfect setting to have our Warm Muscle Wrap treatment – our take on ancient Balinese treatment where we apply remedy made from warming spices all over your body and then wrap your body with cloth to let the remedy works its magic. You will feel a sensation of stimulating heat that will melt away your tension, increase blood circulation, relieve aching joints and sore muscles and headaches. The treatment, in a way, is a journey of healing experience in itself.

Thank you again for all of your kind words and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back home soon to the Estate.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Como Shambhala Estate in Bali has great renown for its lush forest and divine space design. So I asked my private drive to take me as far as from Nusa Dua to there for a visual experience, in hopes of booking a stay with this hotel for my next trip to Bali.

It took close to 2 hours for us to arrive from Nusa Dua. But my inherent passion was damped absolutely by a receptionist by name of Bujiana.

I stepped down and approached him, telling him that I was staying in St. Regis in Nusa Nusa and it was my very first visit to Bali, and that I love Bali so much that I had already decided to re-visit this magic island for a second time very soon. Then I told him on my own initiative with a smiling face that I would like to be showed around some public areas (swimming pool, restaurants, spa center, gym, etc.) to have a visual experience of this renowned retreat, so that I would be convinced that my future choice would be a right one (I travel a lot and have a discerning eye for the good from the bad).

All that I received from him was a rather cold face and a lukewarm response: Since you are not our guest, so we cannot let you in, even for a look.

I was dumbfounded. In the previous day I visited many an equally renowned resort (Maya Ubud, Hanging Gardens, Alila Ubud, Semara Uluwatu, Banyan Tree Uluwatu) and each of them afforded me a most friendly welcome, and they even showed me around some of their highlight facilities, with all smiles on their faces. Why such an exception in here – the Como Shambhala Estate, ugh?

Not ready to be disheartened so quickly, I brought myself to tell him that I was also considering booking a Spa massage in here, just to experience the beautiful setting which I saw on their website. Hearing this, Bujiana very reluctantly showed me into the resort, but tried hard to block my steps everywhere we moved. What a shame, to be fair.

I asked him where the Spa reception was, only to encounter another extremely cold expression on his grave face. He walked far in front of me with a quickened pace, in all demonstration of his utter impatience. In the Spa reception, I was received by 2 ladies, who were equally lukewarm. Being a Spa massage addict, I held my anger in enquiring about my long-desired Shirodara (a head massage of Indian style with oil stream flowing onto your forehead). One of the two ladies told me that “you have to make a booking in advance. Now we cannot show you any of our treatment rooms.”

Another huge surprise: hello? What has got into your mind, ladies? I am your walk-in guest, sitting in front of your reception desk and showing a smiling face and telling you I am interested in buying your massage service. You are telling me that you are not allowed to let me even have a glimpse of your treatment rooms? Then how can I know that you have got the right place for me to do the massage, given that I have a vast experience of Spa massages around the world and thus have a taste for setting and ambience? Is this right – tell me now – when you sell something, you do not let people see what they look like but require them to make a booking before they can have a visual experience of what they are going buy at a costly price, aha?

Gosh. This felt so bad.

All the while, the lobby receptionist Bujiana kept casting hostile looks at me, which was totally beyond my understanding. Do you treat all walk-in guests like this? If so, I pity you so much. What I heard of this resort is so UNTRUE to the FACTS I saw.

In the end, I asked Bujiana of whether I could have a look at their tennis court, since I am also a tennis fan. His facial expression culminated in impatience, and in a rather reluctantly manner went for a buggie, before giving me a no-more-than-8-minute tour around 1/100 of their resort. And no smiles were registered in his face, ever.

Naturally, I dropped the idea of booking a weekly stay in this resort. And I decided AGAINST booking a massage in here. I determined NOT to suggest my law firm to choose here as the base of our next year’s corporate outing (which my boss asked me to do, during this leisurely trip to Bali because everyone likes Bali and we want to choose a truly great resort to stay for the upcoming outing).

It is a real pity that such a strange policy “No Visitors Welcome in Como Shambhala Estate” and such a hostile receptionist were allowed to exist in this magic place.

No matter how great your design is, I will never choose a resort featuring all these unprofessional, unfriendly, unwelcoming, and hostile staff members.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Duncan J
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear DuncanJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable and detailed feedback about your brief visit to COMO Shambhala Estate. Your account of our staff and policies is very much appreciated as it is key in our efforts to continually improving our service.

The Estate is a holistic wellbeing retreat which aims to create a haven for our resident guests, and to maintain our peaceful atmosphere and to respect our guests’ privacy, we try to limit disturbances in certain areas of the Estate. However, this by no means translates as “No outside guests are able to visit COMO Shambhala Estate”. As you visited us during peak season, we were fully occupied and thus unable to accommodate your request for a complete viewing of the Estate and its facilities. This is truly a case of unfortunate timing.

I am sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory manner in which this message was conveyed to you. In the future we will strive to explain what we can offer our walk-in guests in terms of site inspections. I sincerely hope you can understand our genuine desire to share the Estate with all guests while balancing this with our duty to protect the privacy of our resident guests.

Your feedback has helped us to isolate issues and areas in need of attention and I will make sure our team is aware of your feedback and takes ownership in improving our service skills. We don't always get it right but we will always strive to deliver excellent service to our guests.

If your travel plans allow for you to re-visit COMO Shambhala Estate, please let me know. We would be delighted to introduce you to the true COMO Shambhala Estate experience.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Everything you read is true. If you value privacy, peace, tranquility and serenity, this is the place for you. It is quite a drive to get to town, so you won't want to do that too often. Factor that into your budget, because additional meals at the resort are quite expensive, but exceptionally good.

This is such a special place, you will remember it forever.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tanyajane75

Dear tanyajane75,

It is a pleasure to read your review of COMO Shambhala Estate and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience.

I am particularly glad that you made a special mention of the Estate location, which is a few miles north of Ubud and about a 15-20 minute drive. This allowed us to craft a wonderful sanctuary overlooking the Ayung River with plenty of serenity and privacy, allowing our guests to draw strength from the environment.

Our Food and Beverage team was overjoyed to know you found the dishes to be exceptionally good and to learn that their work is being appreciated. Our cuisine showcases the diverse influences and flavours that enable us to offer our nutritious and delicious COMO Shambhala Cuisine. Bearing this in mind, we make it a point to explain our Packages and Wellness Programs inclusion during our reservation and check in processes to ensure that our guests have the optimum experience of all our Estate has to offer.

I know everyone at the Estate joins me in appreciating your kind review and look forward to welcoming you back home to COMO Shambhala Estate.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We did the 'Ayurvedic' treatment programme for 8 nights and found the Dr and programme fantastic - we learnt a lot that we are now able to implement and practise at home. From food, to relaxation and oils for our skins.
We stayed in a stunning 2 bedroom villa with our own pool and outdoor area.
Our 'private assistant' catered to our needs and was excellent in arranging everything we required. We didn't have watches so even down to our wake up calls in the mornings and arranging for breakfast in our private courtyard.
The two restaurants were fantastic and all the food was healthy - a huge selection of delicious, healthy food.
The estate is massive and the spring pool area is beautiful to escape to. We enjoyed all the activities we did and excursions out of the estate.
A beautiful place with everything catered for that you don't have to wander anywhere else - unless you want to shop - the gift shop was minimal and rather expensive.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa was amazing (kusumalya) as we had our own private pool and courtyard - very priv...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear TravelLoverNZx,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your encouraging review of COMO Shambhala Estate.
We are glad to hear that our Ayurvedic Consultant, famously known as Dr. D, has able to help you identifying the issues and aspirations and to devise the optimum personal programme for you. It is our sincere wish that at the end of their stay with us, our guests are able to bring and integrate their “discovery” into their daily life. We are happy to know that you are able to make the most out of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate and take it home.

It was wonderful to read the room tip on Kusumalaya – our retreat villa. Its timeless, understated design, every detail created with care, from the proportions of the furniture and lamps to the nook and cranny of the rooms has made it famous between our guests. Designed by Koichiro Ikebuchi.

I have passed your comment on food to our Food and Beverage team. Chef Amanda, Chef Heidi and the team are very grateful for your appreciation. We are committed to combining the freshest ingredients with exceptional cooking to create raw and cooked meals that are delicious and lead to improved wellness of mind and body.

Having seated on a 23-acre land, the Estate is full of beautiful and hidden places that inspire our guests and ourselves to find who we really are. The terrain has allowed us to be creative in crafting unique activities for our guests. Hopefully, you have the chance to try our Rock Climbing Class. It is more than meets the eye because learning how to rock climb is a challenge for one’s critical thinking, concentration, coordination, strength, and flexibility. I personally also feel that Kedara (our water garden) is certainly a very special place with naturally rich in mineral water that comes from our own natural source. It is so rejuvenating to spend the day swimming in the Spring Pools and lounging in the Bale there.

Thank you very much for the feedback on our shop. We do apologize that you could not find what you were looking for at our shop. Beside carrying original design clothing, bags and jewelleries, our shop showcases a wide range of signature products of COMO Shambhala such as skin and bodycare products as well as an Active Living Collection featuring lounge and yogawear. It also sells various items most of our guests need during their stay with us. We have encouraged our staff to proactively inquire and help our guests obtaining their requested items (if it is not available in our shop). We hope you will have a more pleasant shopping experience with us in any of your future visit.

All of us at the Estate look forward to welcoming you back home for another truly memorable experience.

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
COMO Uma Ubud
#13 of 199 in Ubud
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!