“Ultimate Perfection in an Estate”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
New York City, New York
“Ultimate Perfection in an Estate”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

COMO Shambhala Estate & Spa benefits by having an experienced hotelier Paul Linder as the General Manager. The various residences are dotted over the landscape and each of the 4 and 5 residences has a private pool. There are also villas. There is a main pool for the complex as well as a walk down to the river that will be your exercise for the day. The resident consultants will round off your spa experience. There are also specific yoga and wellness retreats. The spa is spectacular, a must try is the Royal Lulur Treatment in incredible spa rooms with lush jungle garden outdoor showers. The two restaurants Glow and Kudus give the clients and option as to the type of food served. Having been to many of COMO Resort, this certainly tops the cake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jenni L
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Jenni L,

Greetings from the Paradise in Begawan Village!

First of all, thank you very much for your kind review on COMO Shambhala Estate and your vote of confidence in me.

I truly appreciate you noticing all the facilities and benefits we are providing during your short stay with us.

Our Javanese Royal Lulur treatment is truly a pampering experience for everyone. It is such a cooling treatment, a combination of massage skin exfoliation and a cooling yogurt application - follows by a very relaxing bath and nourishing lotion application. I believe you did the treatment in our indoor treatment rooms – Ushira. I hope in your next visit you will have the opportunity to try one of our four outdoor treatment rooms in Kedara (meaning ‘Water Garden’ in Sanskrit). Built into jungle clearings and located above the Ayung River, it is a perfect setting to have our Warm Muscle Wrap treatment – our take on ancient Balinese treatment where we apply remedy made from warming spices all over your body and then wrap your body with cloth to let the remedy works its magic. You will feel a sensation of stimulating heat that will melt away your tension, increase blood circulation, relieve aching joints and sore muscles and headaches. The treatment, in a way, is a journey of healing experience in itself.

Thank you again for all of your kind words and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back home soon to the Estate.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Como Shambhala Estate in Bali has great renown for its lush forest and divine space design. So I asked my private drive to take me as far as from Nusa Dua to there for a visual experience, in hopes of booking a stay with this hotel for my next trip to Bali.

It took close to 2 hours for us to arrive from Nusa Dua. But my inherent passion was damped absolutely by a receptionist by name of Bujiana.

I stepped down and approached him, telling him that I was staying in St. Regis in Nusa Nusa and it was my very first visit to Bali, and that I love Bali so much that I had already decided to re-visit this magic island for a second time very soon. Then I told him on my own initiative with a smiling face that I would like to be showed around some public areas (swimming pool, restaurants, spa center, gym, etc.) to have a visual experience of this renowned retreat, so that I would be convinced that my future choice would be a right one (I travel a lot and have a discerning eye for the good from the bad).

All that I received from him was a rather cold face and a lukewarm response: Since you are not our guest, so we cannot let you in, even for a look.

I was dumbfounded. In the previous day I visited many an equally renowned resort (Maya Ubud, Hanging Gardens, Alila Ubud, Semara Uluwatu, Banyan Tree Uluwatu) and each of them afforded me a most friendly welcome, and they even showed me around some of their highlight facilities, with all smiles on their faces. Why such an exception in here – the Como Shambhala Estate, ugh?

Not ready to be disheartened so quickly, I brought myself to tell him that I was also considering booking a Spa massage in here, just to experience the beautiful setting which I saw on their website. Hearing this, Bujiana very reluctantly showed me into the resort, but tried hard to block my steps everywhere we moved. What a shame, to be fair.

I asked him where the Spa reception was, only to encounter another extremely cold expression on his grave face. He walked far in front of me with a quickened pace, in all demonstration of his utter impatience. In the Spa reception, I was received by 2 ladies, who were equally lukewarm. Being a Spa massage addict, I held my anger in enquiring about my long-desired Shirodara (a head massage of Indian style with oil stream flowing onto your forehead). One of the two ladies told me that “you have to make a booking in advance. Now we cannot show you any of our treatment rooms.”

Another huge surprise: hello? What has got into your mind, ladies? I am your walk-in guest, sitting in front of your reception desk and showing a smiling face and telling you I am interested in buying your massage service. You are telling me that you are not allowed to let me even have a glimpse of your treatment rooms? Then how can I know that you have got the right place for me to do the massage, given that I have a vast experience of Spa massages around the world and thus have a taste for setting and ambience? Is this right – tell me now – when you sell something, you do not let people see what they look like but require them to make a booking before they can have a visual experience of what they are going buy at a costly price, aha?

Gosh. This felt so bad.

All the while, the lobby receptionist Bujiana kept casting hostile looks at me, which was totally beyond my understanding. Do you treat all walk-in guests like this? If so, I pity you so much. What I heard of this resort is so UNTRUE to the FACTS I saw.

In the end, I asked Bujiana of whether I could have a look at their tennis court, since I am also a tennis fan. His facial expression culminated in impatience, and in a rather reluctantly manner went for a buggie, before giving me a no-more-than-8-minute tour around 1/100 of their resort. And no smiles were registered in his face, ever.

Naturally, I dropped the idea of booking a weekly stay in this resort. And I decided AGAINST booking a massage in here. I determined NOT to suggest my law firm to choose here as the base of our next year’s corporate outing (which my boss asked me to do, during this leisurely trip to Bali because everyone likes Bali and we want to choose a truly great resort to stay for the upcoming outing).

It is a real pity that such a strange policy “No Visitors Welcome in Como Shambhala Estate” and such a hostile receptionist were allowed to exist in this magic place.

No matter how great your design is, I will never choose a resort featuring all these unprofessional, unfriendly, unwelcoming, and hostile staff members.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Duncan J
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear DuncanJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable and detailed feedback about your brief visit to COMO Shambhala Estate. Your account of our staff and policies is very much appreciated as it is key in our efforts to continually improving our service.

The Estate is a holistic wellbeing retreat which aims to create a haven for our resident guests, and to maintain our peaceful atmosphere and to respect our guests’ privacy, we try to limit disturbances in certain areas of the Estate. However, this by no means translates as “No outside guests are able to visit COMO Shambhala Estate”. As you visited us during peak season, we were fully occupied and thus unable to accommodate your request for a complete viewing of the Estate and its facilities. This is truly a case of unfortunate timing.

I am sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory manner in which this message was conveyed to you. In the future we will strive to explain what we can offer our walk-in guests in terms of site inspections. I sincerely hope you can understand our genuine desire to share the Estate with all guests while balancing this with our duty to protect the privacy of our resident guests.

Your feedback has helped us to isolate issues and areas in need of attention and I will make sure our team is aware of your feedback and takes ownership in improving our service skills. We don't always get it right but we will always strive to deliver excellent service to our guests.

If your travel plans allow for you to re-visit COMO Shambhala Estate, please let me know. We would be delighted to introduce you to the true COMO Shambhala Estate experience.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Everything you read is true. If you value privacy, peace, tranquility and serenity, this is the place for you. It is quite a drive to get to town, so you won't want to do that too often. Factor that into your budget, because additional meals at the resort are quite expensive, but exceptionally good.

This is such a special place, you will remember it forever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tanyajane75
Dear tanyajane75,

It is a pleasure to read your review of COMO Shambhala Estate and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience.

I am particularly glad that you made a special mention of the Estate location, which is a few miles north of Ubud and about a 15-20 minute drive. This allowed us to craft a wonderful sanctuary overlooking the Ayung River with plenty of serenity and privacy, allowing our guests to draw strength from the environment.

Our Food and Beverage team was overjoyed to know you found the dishes to be exceptionally good and to learn that their work is being appreciated. Our cuisine showcases the diverse influences and flavours that enable us to offer our nutritious and delicious COMO Shambhala Cuisine. Bearing this in mind, we make it a point to explain our Packages and Wellness Programs inclusion during our reservation and check in processes to ensure that our guests have the optimum experience of all our Estate has to offer.

I know everyone at the Estate joins me in appreciating your kind review and look forward to welcoming you back home to COMO Shambhala Estate.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We did the 'Ayurvedic' treatment programme for 8 nights and found the Dr and programme fantastic - we learnt a lot that we are now able to implement and practise at home. From food, to relaxation and oils for our skins.
We stayed in a stunning 2 bedroom villa with our own pool and outdoor area.
Our 'private assistant' catered to our needs and was excellent in arranging everything we required. We didn't have watches so even down to our wake up calls in the mornings and arranging for breakfast in our private courtyard.
The two restaurants were fantastic and all the food was healthy - a huge selection of delicious, healthy food.
The estate is massive and the spring pool area is beautiful to escape to. We enjoyed all the activities we did and excursions out of the estate.
A beautiful place with everything catered for that you don't have to wander anywhere else - unless you want to shop - the gift shop was minimal and rather expensive.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa was amazing (kusumalya) as we had our own private pool and courtyard - very priv...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear TravelLoverNZx,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your encouraging review of COMO Shambhala Estate.
We are glad to hear that our Ayurvedic Consultant, famously known as Dr. D, has able to help you identifying the issues and aspirations and to devise the optimum personal programme for you. It is our sincere wish that at the end of their stay with us, our guests are able to bring and integrate their “discovery” into their daily life. We are happy to know that you are able to make the most out of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate and take it home.

It was wonderful to read the room tip on Kusumalaya – our retreat villa. Its timeless, understated design, every detail created with care, from the proportions of the furniture and lamps to the nook and cranny of the rooms has made it famous between our guests. Designed by Koichiro Ikebuchi.

I have passed your comment on food to our Food and Beverage team. Chef Amanda, Chef Heidi and the team are very grateful for your appreciation. We are committed to combining the freshest ingredients with exceptional cooking to create raw and cooked meals that are delicious and lead to improved wellness of mind and body.

Having seated on a 23-acre land, the Estate is full of beautiful and hidden places that inspire our guests and ourselves to find who we really are. The terrain has allowed us to be creative in crafting unique activities for our guests. Hopefully, you have the chance to try our Rock Climbing Class. It is more than meets the eye because learning how to rock climb is a challenge for one’s critical thinking, concentration, coordination, strength, and flexibility. I personally also feel that Kedara (our water garden) is certainly a very special place with naturally rich in mineral water that comes from our own natural source. It is so rejuvenating to spend the day swimming in the Spring Pools and lounging in the Bale there.

Thank you very much for the feedback on our shop. We do apologize that you could not find what you were looking for at our shop. Beside carrying original design clothing, bags and jewelleries, our shop showcases a wide range of signature products of COMO Shambhala such as skin and bodycare products as well as an Active Living Collection featuring lounge and yogawear. It also sells various items most of our guests need during their stay with us. We have encouraged our staff to proactively inquire and help our guests obtaining their requested items (if it is not available in our shop). We hope you will have a more pleasant shopping experience with us in any of your future visit.

All of us at the Estate look forward to welcoming you back home for another truly memorable experience.

Arcadia, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I don't like going to the same place twice and yet we recently returned from COMO Shambhala Estate for the 5th time. My husband is super active. I just get tired even watching him and yet it caters perfectly for us both. But its not just the beautiful and healthy food, the ridiculously high ratio of staff to guests, nor the brilliance of the architecture and landscaping, nor the complete serenity, nor the joyous Balinese, nor the fabulous programmes (loved the Oriental Medicine), no, its just that when you are at COMO you are reminded of who you are really meant to be. We have stayed at the so called best spa/resorts in the world but we never have this feeling anywhere else.

Room Tip: The Bayu Gita Suite was fabulous but we have been happy with all the ones we have stayed in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dianne M,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

We would like to thank you for continuing to return to COMO Shambhala Estate - it is always such a pleasure to welcome a familiar face back home. It is such an honour to know that even after your fifth stay with us, we continue to be able to successfully meet your expectations with regards to activities, facilities, cuisine and service.

As a wellness resort, we aim to help individuals find a sense of peace through the continuous process of learning and rebalancing, aided by special environments, specific knowledge and healing therapies. Our wellness programmes are designed to start off with a private one to one consultation to discuss personal goals and requirements. We believe that this proactive approach allows us to deliver a balanced combinations of meals, treatments and activities in a way that also allows two people sharing an accommodation to opt for and do different programmes. We could not be happier to learn that this was achieved during your stay with us.
We are happy that you loved our newest programme, Oriental Medicine. Our expert Oriental Medicine Practitioner, David Melladew joins COMO Shambhala Estate with extensive experience in the oriental sciences. David’s popular acupuncture sessions have a spiritual quality, blending science, artistry and meditation to achieve results across a wide range of issues, both physical and emotional. As well as a Master’s degree in Oriental Medicine from Pacific College in California and a National Certificate in acupuncture, he is also formally trained in martial arts and Qigong. We hope the programme helped you achieving the right state of health and wellbeing by balancing the physical, emotional and energy systems of your body.

It may be goodbye for now, but all of us at the Estate look forward to welcoming you back home for another truly memorable stay in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We did stay at the COMO Shambhala end of August. The resort is just amazing. We did stay at the garden room and it was beautiful. The grounds are spectacular and we enjoyed walks down to the river and in the rice fields. The food in both restaurants, the Glow and the Kudos was really good. I did have a massage in one of the outdoor places and it was the best and most relaxing one I ever had.

Room Tip: We did stay at the garden room which is very nice but does have an outdoor bathroom and I had to get...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leopoldine S
Dear Leopoldine S,

Warmest greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with the Estate – especially in our garden room. All of the individual rooms and suites at the Estate sit within one of five freestanding, individually designed Residences. Every room is different, but has access to its Residence's pools, lounge areas and shaded pavilions. We hope you will have the opportunity to experience another beautiful room/suite of ours sometime in the near future.

I took the liberty to pass your compliment on the cuisine and to our Food and Beverage team. They were delighted to learn that their work is being appreciated.

I fully agree on your review of having a massage in our outdoor treatment room is very relaxing. Amidst the lush and manicured vegetation and voices of nature, our outdoor room certainly is the right setting for our intuitive, purposeful and rejuvenating spa treatments. We hope you had the opportunity to explore our Kedara (meaning ‘Water Garden’ in Sanskrit) afterward and swam in one of the Garden Pools with fresh water from the our own source. The pristine air, fresh spring water and gorgeous vistas (and, maybe, a delicious picnic lunch), there really is nowhere else you would rather be after a relaxing treatment.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Estate on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back home.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We booked Como for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation and we got so much more! The grounds are spectacular: peaceful, immaculately kept and in touch with the local culture and environment. The activities are varied and rewarding: welcoming for beginners and challenging for those that want to be challenged. Unfortunately, the food is wickedly good - so weight loss will have to wait. The spa massage was great, but it was so relaxing that I got a sore throat from snoring (luckily the ginger tea helps soothe that). Como's service is impeccable, personal, professional and warm - it sets a very high bar that will challenge my future travel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RockYu
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear RockYu,

Thank you for your most generous and enthusiastic review of COMO Shambhala Estate.

We are so pleased to learn that you were able to find beyond what you expected at COMO Shambhala Estate.

The Estate is very fortunate to be located in an environment that is still so pristine - amongst the jungle of the Begawan Village and right by the Ayung River. It allows us to help the guest discovering the healing and relaxing power of the nature. We always encourage our guest to walk around our 23-acre site. The path (and the stairs), some will consider it as challenging and a good work-out, will reveal the most captivating view and hidden place to relax.

It’s wonderful to hear that you also enjoyed the offered activities as well as the treatments at COMO Shambhala. We will make sure that the ginger tea will be right outside your treatment room for your future visit to soothe the amazing treatment induced-sore throat!

We look forward to welcoming you back home to Banjar Begawan in the near future.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
COMO Uma Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 198 in Ubud
Hanging Gardens of Bali

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!