“Wow, magical place”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
“Wow, magical place”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Hi all

My friend and I arrived 2 January and left 4 January. Much too a short a time to stay in such a magical place :(.
This is no place for wheelchairs, or severely handicapped. Lucky for me, I can manage steps. To gain access to the rooms you must go down three flights of stairs, this I managed by leaning on walls, this caused my friend to give me a new name, moss man lol. On account of my gathering moss each time I went up or down the stairs :).
The food is magnificent as is the scenery around. The treatments here are superb, if only we had more time here.
Anyone contemplating a stay here, all I can enjoy you time here ;).

Anthony and Tanya

• Stayed January 2013
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Anthony S,

Thank you for your review on COMO Shambhala Estate.

Built into jungle clearings and located above the Ayung River, our property is quite vast and can be relatively rugged. I believe that you stayed in one of our five Residences, each with 4 or 5 suites, airy living areas and a large swimming pool. Each of these five Residences are unique in their own way –no two are alike. Some are located closer to The Estate’s public area and others are further and more secluded. In addition to our five Residences, we also have 3 Two Bed Room Retreat Villas and 2 One Bed Room Retreat Villas. The Retreat Villas are located in closer proximity to Ojas (spa area), our restaurants and our lobby. Wheelchair access is also available for our 2 One Bed Room Retreat Villas.

I would agree that a 2-night stay is much too short to experience all that we offer at The Estate. I hope that you will be returning soon to experience more activities, more treatments, and more of our wholesome cuisines.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 8, 2013

You arrive at the open spaced beautiful open air lobby, welcomed by the superb staff. Transport by electrical buggy to your beautiful room (in our case a Como Shambhala Suite). Room? It is mere a part of some of the beautifully arranged compounds, designed to give you the feeling you are now living in an old Balinese palace. First you enter a portico, down the stairs over the water to an open air wooden deck (covered) and then through other stairs to a beautifully outlined space with a common swimming pool (infinity), with access to four rooms, appartments or suites. The suite itself is an elegant mahogany place with two rooms, a balcony overlooking a green jungle valley. And access to a private garden, with waterfalls, pond, an outside bed, a bathtub carved out of one block of stone and a steaming hot open air jaccuzzi.
Every evening, candles are lit which gives it a fairy tale feeling. You walk back over terraces, passing beautiful flowers, designed to let peace fall over you. Behind the lobby, there are the two restaurants, Glow and Kuduz, with delicious food, very nice staff who are only there with one purpose: to make you feel at home completely, but then: a home you can only dream of. There is also the magnificent Ojas building with the best Spa treatments available anywhere in the world, and the Yoga Pavillion.
The estate is situated on a cliff, surrounded by two valleys: through one the Agung river flows (in the deep). You can walk around it deep down there, the Estate Walk: pasing beautiful flowers, fruit. In the distance you see the rice fields for which Ubud is famous.
Scheduled activities include Rice field trekking, walking, cycling, yoga (excellent), pilates, meditation.
Since only electrical vehicles are used and the garden is kept by hand, the only sounds you will hear (apart from cries of joy from the rafters in the deep) are waterfalls, geckos, lizards, froggs and birds.
If you take out one of the programmes, you will meet the expert Dr Deepak, and Eve the nutrition, all there to make your trip the start of a new gladly adhered lifestyle.
But the best thing is: the Personal Assistant, assigned to you to halp you choose between all activities, suggesting and managing a schedule which is bespoke and very very rewarding. Balines hospiltality at its best/
This is easily the best resort I ever visited.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be fantastic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ArentvanWassenaer
Dear Arent1956,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are very pleased to know that we were able to meet your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate.

It’s such a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed staying in one of our Residences. We have five unique themed Residences, each one named after an element of the earth – Bayugita (Sanskrit for ‘Wind Song’), Tirta-Ening (Sanskrit for ‘Clear Water’), Tejasuara (Sanskrit for ‘Sound of Fire’), Wanakasa (Sanskrit for ‘Forest in the Mist’) and Umabona (Sanskrit for ‘House of the Earth Son’). Perhaps on your next visit you can experience staying in the other Residences.

At The Estate, we have consultants such as Dr. Deepak, our resident Ayurvedic Doctor, and Eve Persak, our resident Dietician for guests who are on the Dedicated Wellness Programmes. Our consultants are there to help identify the issues and aspirations and for devising the optimum personal programme for each guest. We hope that Dr. Deepak and Eve were able to help you make the most out of your stay at COMO Shambhala Estate.

Thank you again for your kind feedback and The COMO Shambhala family look forward to welcoming you back home to The Estate.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived for dinner at around 7.30 and I suppose that did not give us the opportunity to be awed by the resort and the views. However based upon Tripadvisor reviews we were merely planning to enjoy " an above average meal " as we have already seen many amazing resorts and views in our travels. On ordering drinks it felt like pulling teeth as the
waiter was incomprehendible and this is the first time I have experienced this in Bali except for the absolute minority of taxi drivers.
That said the maitre d' attended our table to check our progress and we advised the restaurant appeared highly regarded and on closing she said "let the food speak for itself". Our group ordered 3 lamb dishes, a wagu beef dish, 2 side dishes of salad and 2 side dishes of vegetables. The wagu beef had grissle and was unlike any wagu we had ever seen or eaten and tasted like stewed lamb. The lamb was unbelievably bland and virtually taseless. The salads did not add to the meals in any way and were not dissimilar to that provided in a beachside fish and chip cafe. The side dishes of cooked vegetables were the only relief in this banquet of mediocrity. On departing the chefs were looking for our accolades but I could not even
acknowledge them and merely wanted to return to our own resort. Yes the food did speak for itself and unfortunately it had
nothing good to say - of all of the wonderful meals we have enjoyed in Bali, we collectively believe this was the worst and
most disappointing and we will definitely never return again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jo C
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Jo C,

We would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review. Your feedback on Glow is very much appreciated as it is key in our efforts to continue improving our cuisines and service.

With deep regret, I sincerely apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. I have shared your dining experience with our team at Glow, specifically with our F&B Manager and our Executive Chef. Regrettably, the waiter taking your order was a trainee, which may explain the difficulties in communication. Going forward we will ensure that all the trainees will verbally convey that they are trainees and that they will get a wait staff or supervisor when approached by guests. We will also continue to carry out ongoing training to ensure that everyone in our team is adapt at communicating with the guests. Additionally, our Executive Chef is looking into the quality of our Wagyu beef and reviewing the preparation method for our lamb dish, ensuring that we continue to standby our commitment to use only the best and freshest ingredients.

Thank you again for your time and feedback. I would like to personally invite you for a tour around COMO Shambhala Estate and a lunch at Glow when you are in Bali next -we hope that you will give glow another chance.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My fourth visit to what is becoming a home away from home. This is the perfect antidote to a stressful year with a little pampering, exercise and healthy eating in a serene and natural location. The always get the balance right between luxury yet friendly relaxed service. It will continue to be my escape when I need to recover and get a little perspective on life. Thanks again to the wonderful team.

Room Tip: All the Como suites are wonderful but now Water Residence is my favourite!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Dando_London,

Thank you for your kind review. We are very grateful to know that COMO Shambhala Estate has become your home away from home.

We are also glad that you experienced a stay at Tirta Ening (Clear Water Residence). With views of the forest and the sound of water flow throughout the residence offering unending serenity, Tirta Ening has become the favourite of many of our guests.

The team at COMO Shambhala Estate wishes you a peaceful New Year, and we all look forward to welcoming you back home.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have been staying in a private villa in the rice fields of Ubud and rode the scooter out to Como Shanbhala estate for lunch as we have read so many great things about the restaurant,
The restaurant is not as high end as we thought it would be but after taking a seat at our table we realised the understated atmosphere made you feel like you didn't want to leave this restaurant.
The food was outstanding and presentation was superb, the service was fantastic and we can highly recommend Glow restaurant is worth the drive to experience this healthy,delicious food that make you feel good just eating it. They also serve young coconut water!

Room Tip: call Glow to let them know you are coming, as it makes it easier at security gate
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear WeTrave1,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you for your generous review of our restaurant Glow. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our dishes and that our service met your expectations. We are committed to combining the freshest ingredients with exceptional cooking to create raw and cooked meals that are delicious and lead to improved wellness of mind and body. We hope that on your next visit to Bali you will have the chance to try our Sunday Brunch at Glow and if I can be of any help with future bookings either at Estate or Restaurants do let me know and I would be more then happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back home to COMO Shambhala Estate.

Kind regards

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We loved everything during our stay at the Como Shambhala Estate. The estate itself lies beautiful tucked away in a forest/valley, about 20 minutes drive from the Ubud center. The rooms are fantastic, nicely decorated and lots of space, the bedroom overlooks the forest, very beautiful. The staff and butler service are excellent. Everything you wish for will be taken care of. Special thanks to yoga instructor Marc, best instructor I had so far. The food and restaurants make in my opinion the real difference with other 5 star resorts. INCREDIBLE. Chef Amanda Gale takes modern cooking to the next level. Super super healthy and o so delicious. I would recommend anyone staying at this lovely place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RvD2012
Dear RvD2012,

Thank you for your delightful review. We are very happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and especially enjoyed the cuisine. Chef Amanda and our team at COMO Shambhala Estate work hard at ensuring the cuisines we offer are both nutritious and delicious.

I have pass on your kind comment to Mark, our Activities Coordinator and Yoga Instructor, and we look forward to welcoming you back home to the Estate soon.

Paul Linder
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Como Shambhala is definitely a gem of a place. I must admit that when I first arrived I was a bit concerned by the incredible noise of the cicadas and other jungle insects...almost deafening at times! Once I acclimated to this noise I found myself in a heavenly place.

Most everything is included from yoga to meals to several massages (we did "rejuvenation package"). Most of the yoga classes were great and the meals were outstanding. An entire raw menu for those who want to go healthy, delicious western and other food options and awesome smoothies!

One day we had lunch at the romantic pools down by the river. It's quite a hike and totally worth it...a little slice of heaven with great views, relaxing pools and the occasional excited scream of the river rafters going under one of the water falls nearby.

My one issue with Como is that after spending thousands of dollars they "nickle and dime" you for things like an extra smoothie or setting up dinner at your room ($10). These are small enough expenses that they should, in my opinion, just wrap it into the price and really make this place so relaxing you don't need think about anything but relaxing and enjoying and rejuvenating.

Our personal assistant was wonderfully helpful...sometimes actually a bit too present though as my wife didn't love coming out of yoga class or a massage feeling all relaxed and then there our assistant was saying "how was your massage", "can I escort you to your room", "what are you doing later", etc. It was funny the first day but then it became a bit too much. It was nice to have everything taken care of though.

The rooms were clean and the private pools were too...the only that I found is that the grounds and the main pool weren't kept as clean as they could be. There was often dirt and leaves on the pool chairs and such (we're in a jungle) and I felt that a bit more attention could have been paid by staff.

All in all - we loved this place mainly thanks to the beautiful room, the incredible food and the wonderful relaxing yoga, massages, etc. I would return to Como Shambhala for sure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wordlyandwise
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Wordlyandwise,

Greetings from the Island of the Gods and Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for taking precious time to complete our questionnaire. I really appreciate your comments on your stay with us at Como Shambhala and it is this kind of feedback which enables us to continually improve our performance.
As we are in the lush jungle the cicadas and other little creatures are very noisy at times but is seasonal and depends on weather conditions. The wonderful thing is that these insects are a constant reminder of a healthy environment.
I am glad you were happy with the choice of the rejuvenation retreat. Glad too that you both liked and enjoyed the water garden. It is a unique feature of which we are very proud. The water which is naturally rich in minerals comes from our own natural source.
I have noted your concerns about inclusion. I have recently taken over as manager at the Estate and will look into this immediately.
My apologies for the overwhelming attention of your personal butler. Again it is this kind of feedback which allows further constructive training. Thank you.
I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our little paradise and will endeavour to make any future stay a truly memorable experience.

Kind regards
Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
Hanging Gardens of Bali
Hanging Gardens of Bali
#6 of 10 in Payangan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!