“You have to go for Lunch......Amazing!”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have been staying in a private villa in the rice fields of Ubud and rode the scooter out to Como Shanbhala estate for lunch as we have read so many great things about the restaurant,
The restaurant is not as high end as we thought it would be but after taking a seat at our table we realised the understated atmosphere made you feel like you didn't want to leave this restaurant.
The food was outstanding and presentation was superb, the service was fantastic and we can highly recommend Glow restaurant is worth the drive to experience this healthy,delicious food that make you feel good just eating it. They also serve young coconut water!

Room Tip: call Glow to let them know you are coming, as it makes it easier at security gate
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear WeTrave1,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you for your generous review of our restaurant Glow. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our dishes and that our service met your expectations. We are committed to combining the freshest ingredients with exceptional cooking to create raw and cooked meals that are delicious and lead to improved wellness of mind and body. We hope that on your next visit to Bali you will have the chance to try our Sunday Brunch at Glow and if I can be of any help with future bookings either at Estate or Restaurants do let me know and I would be more then happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back home to COMO Shambhala Estate.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We loved everything during our stay at the Como Shambhala Estate. The estate itself lies beautiful tucked away in a forest/valley, about 20 minutes drive from the Ubud center. The rooms are fantastic, nicely decorated and lots of space, the bedroom overlooks the forest, very beautiful. The staff and butler service are excellent. Everything you wish for will be taken care of. Special thanks to yoga instructor Marc, best instructor I had so far. The food and restaurants make in my opinion the real difference with other 5 star resorts. INCREDIBLE. Chef Amanda Gale takes modern cooking to the next level. Super super healthy and o so delicious. I would recommend anyone staying at this lovely place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RvD2012

Dear RvD2012,

Thank you for your delightful review. We are very happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and especially enjoyed the cuisine. Chef Amanda and our team at COMO Shambhala Estate work hard at ensuring the cuisines we offer are both nutritious and delicious.

I have pass on your kind comment to Mark, our Activities Coordinator and Yoga Instructor, and we look forward to welcoming you back home to the Estate soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Como Shambhala is definitely a gem of a place. I must admit that when I first arrived I was a bit concerned by the incredible noise of the cicadas and other jungle insects...almost deafening at times! Once I acclimated to this noise I found myself in a heavenly place.

Most everything is included from yoga to meals to several massages (we did "rejuvenation package"). Most of the yoga classes were great and the meals were outstanding. An entire raw menu for those who want to go healthy, delicious western and other food options and awesome smoothies!

One day we had lunch at the romantic pools down by the river. It's quite a hike and totally worth it...a little slice of heaven with great views, relaxing pools and the occasional excited scream of the river rafters going under one of the water falls nearby.

My one issue with Como is that after spending thousands of dollars they "nickle and dime" you for things like an extra smoothie or setting up dinner at your room ($10). These are small enough expenses that they should, in my opinion, just wrap it into the price and really make this place so relaxing you don't need think about anything but relaxing and enjoying and rejuvenating.

Our personal assistant was wonderfully helpful...sometimes actually a bit too present though as my wife didn't love coming out of yoga class or a massage feeling all relaxed and then there our assistant was saying "how was your massage", "can I escort you to your room", "what are you doing later", etc. It was funny the first day but then it became a bit too much. It was nice to have everything taken care of though.

The rooms were clean and the private pools were too...the only that I found is that the grounds and the main pool weren't kept as clean as they could be. There was often dirt and leaves on the pool chairs and such (we're in a jungle) and I felt that a bit more attention could have been paid by staff.

All in all - we loved this place mainly thanks to the beautiful room, the incredible food and the wonderful relaxing yoga, massages, etc. I would return to Como Shambhala for sure!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wordlyandwise
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Wordlyandwise,

Greetings from the Island of the Gods and Banjar Begawan!

Thank you very much for taking precious time to complete our questionnaire. I really appreciate your comments on your stay with us at Como Shambhala and it is this kind of feedback which enables us to continually improve our performance.
As we are in the lush jungle the cicadas and other little creatures are very noisy at times but is seasonal and depends on weather conditions. The wonderful thing is that these insects are a constant reminder of a healthy environment.
I am glad you were happy with the choice of the rejuvenation retreat. Glad too that you both liked and enjoyed the water garden. It is a unique feature of which we are very proud. The water which is naturally rich in minerals comes from our own natural source.
I have noted your concerns about inclusion. I have recently taken over as manager at the Estate and will look into this immediately.
My apologies for the overwhelming attention of your personal butler. Again it is this kind of feedback which allows further constructive training. Thank you.
I look forward to personally welcoming you back to our little paradise and will endeavour to make any future stay a truly memorable experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 23, 2012

As most other visitors have said, this is a class resort. Outstanding service and food and a great location (as long as you're not expecting a beach!). It was very noisy during part of my stay because they were cutting odwn trees but I imagine that's just bad luck. There are fantastic spa facilities plus a range of other activities. The freewheel bike ride is a great way to see some of the more remote villages but do it early in the morning. Only downside was coming back from the estate walk to find a leech attached to my arm. I guess that's what you should expect in the jungle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear John S,

Greetings from the island of the god's and the thousand Temples,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the food, spa, and freewheel bike ride - it is indeed a great way to see the villages and the beauty of North Ubud.
Here at COMO Shambhala Estate we aim to provide a peaceful environment for our guests, so I note with concern the noise and it is unfortunate that you experienced this during your stay, but I'm happy that it didn't lessen your enjoyment of the Estate. On this occasion there was indeed a tree cutting going on from the nearby village and as we are surrounded by valleys noise travels easily.
Once again, thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our home in Bali, or any one of our COMO Hotels and Resorts worldwide.

Warm regards

Reviewed October 25, 2012

From the moment we arrived at Como Shimbhala and the beautiful tuber rose lai was wrapped around us, we knew we were in for a special vacation. Looking through the archway at Reception the property looks like it could take its place on the front cover of any LuxuryTravel Magazine. We loved our room (graciously given an upgrade), and stayed in the Fire Villas. The accommodation was spacious, outdoor area with a beautiful bath, a four poster bed and the room hosted all the modern amenities wifi, large plasma screen etc which was important consideration for my husband. Oh but the view, open the windows at sunrise and before you was the lush green tropical forest framing rice fields in the background, it was picture perfect. It was intensely private with absolutely no noise from other Hotel guests.
You had a Personal Assistant who organised everything for you, from where you wanted to dine, (which could be anywhere from down by one of the most romantic areas you could dream of near the river, or in your own dinning area on a daybed by the pool), any activities you wanted booked, luscious spa treatments, anything your hearts desired was attended to promptly and courteously, nothing was to much trouble. We had the pleasure of having both Agung and Dayu as our Personal Assistants, they were so delightful, beautiful Balinese smiles and very much added to our wonderful experience at Shimbhala. The daytime activities were great, yoga, pilates, meditation, we enjoyed them all. Renata the Pilates instructor deserves a special mention for her fantastic classes and her gorgeous manner. My husband went on a really tough bike ride that Agung organised for him and he enjoyed it very much. You could however choose to do set programmes, Detox, Yoga etc but we enjoyed the flexibility of doing our own activities at our own pace. The food was great with a choice of 2 Restuarants, with the emphasis being on raw wholesome, delicious food with some Indonesian dishes. They also had a wonderful selection of healthy juices to choose from.
The property itself, I could never quite find the words to paint the picture of how spectacular the grounds truly are. Acres of beautiful trees and forest, a gorgeous pool area. Do yourself a favour and find out for yourself! Here is a hint, anything less than 4 nights you will wish you had booked for more! It is set 15 minutes from Ubud and is a long intense ride from the Airport but if you are looking for true relaxation in a luxurious setting with exceptional service Como Shimbhala is the perfect holiday destination for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank audrey632

Dear audrey632,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your villa "Tejasuara" (Sound of Fire) and in particular the splendid views of forest and rice fields. This was my first experience when I stayed there in 2004 - my favorite Residence too.

I have passed your comments on to Renata, Agung and Dayu and they send their best regards!

I do agree that it is hard to experience all we have to offer under 4 nights. I'm glad you got to try most of our daytime activities. All of our 'guided challenges' have been personally tried and curated by our own Activities team, so they are delighted to hear that your husband was challenged but still enjoyed his bike ride very much.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bali.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I am at lost for words to describe this amazing Estate. If you are looking for an hotel, amazing or otherwise, this is not the place for you. As one other recent reviewers noted there are a large amount of beautiful 5 stars hotel in Bali, that cost much less, so don't even consider Como. This is an experience for seriously enlightened human beings on a journey (whatever it is?), of course one can be enlightened but just want a good old fashion 5 star luxury vacation and for that consider one of the other amazing hotels on the island, they will do fine...
As I have said I am lost for words, however the review by Delicious 108 pretty much expresses my sentiments. The whole experience from the minute i stepped into the magical place until i left was amazing. I will be back...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shevanne

Dear Shevanne,
Greetings from Bali! Thank you for the enlightened review, I agree that here at COMO Shambhala Estate, with our focus on wellbeing and relaxation, we offer a very different kind of experience not found elsewhere.

For people looking for a more "traditional" - but still special - luxury experience, may I also recommend our sister property in Ubud, the Uma by COMO (recently referred to by another Tripadvisor member as a "cute little sister" to the COMO Shambhala Estate!)

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we, the whole COMO Shambhala family look forward to welcoming you back to your little paradise in Ubud.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are not words beautiful enough to describe The Como Shambhala Estate. This is not merely a hotel, but the most generous invitation into paradise!
Since May 2007 I have stayed now 8 times, mostly for 7 day stays. I always take one of the Wellness program packages which include meals and treatments.
I feel totally at ease and am treated like a princess. It is hands down my favourite property on earth. My five star ashram !
For me It is a wellness retreat, however there's room to move in all directions ! You make your own path......with the assistance of your personal butler- who arranges your treatments, activities, classes. A huge thankyou to Yanti, Coki, Dewa & Sumantra ! You guys have spoilt me for life !
One unique aspect of CSE is that it caters for many tastes:
and not in a watered down "please all way" They pull it off with professionalism and perfection !
-a dawn ascent of a volcano, a mountain bike or through rice fields, a day laying beside one of the stunning pools or a private champagne dinner with more candles and tuberose than I could count !

The Como Shambhala spa is superb and the therapists angelic ! The settings for the treatments are a treat: the open air treatment rooms down by the river and the indoors areas at Ojas -which boast both indoors and garden showers. Thankyou to Sally, who manages the spa and to my favourite therapist Wati for your many years of amazing massages !
Daily yoga and pranayama classes are superb, held in stunning open air Bales. Thankyou to Christina, Katiza, Ann & Mark over the years you have all been a huge inspiration and your yoga teachings resonate in my heart.
The Estate's location, at Begawan Giri is positioned at a sacred spring and is magical, energising and cleansing in one clean swoop !
As a chef the food keeps drawing me back ! It's hard to stay at any other hotel now- even the Aman's ! Cuisine is outstanding and the menu diverse -catering to all tastes. It's hip, flavoursome and cooked with love, ensuring dishes retain the integrity of the fresh ingredients. Aah the salad of young coconut, prawn and pomelo (an all time favourite) A huge thankyou to chef Amanda and Chris now at the Metropolitan, Bangkok !
The raw food is superb- don't be scared off by the idea of healthy nutritious food ! Oh and yes there is a Wagyu Beef Rendang- Keeps my husband happy !
The rooms: I have stayed in a few and each has its own personality from the clean, edgy retreat villas to the beautiful Bayugita: the website has plenty of images but each residence or villa is just beyond devine !
The Bed sheets are the best I've slept in......... cloud like. House keeping is impeccable: in all of my stays, I have not once returned to my room after breakfast to find it uncleaned (and I get up early !). They are magic and totally on the ball ! Delicious Como Shambhala toiletries and drinking water are refreshed regularly. Turn down is always timed to when you have vacated the room for dinner or a sunset massage !
Hospitality at its finest It does not get better !
Of course I will be back again ! what a gift !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Delicious108

Dear Delicious108,
Thank you for the comprehensive review and of course, for making us your home in Bali for so many years.

I have passed your kind comments on to the whole team, in particular Yanti, Coki, Dewa and Sumanta even some of them have moved and to be found at "Parrot Cay" our sister property in the Caribbean on Turks and Caicos, Sally and the spa staff, Marc our Yoga instructors and in charge of Activities and his colleagues, as well as Amanda and the kitchen team, and they are all very appreciative. Being a chef I'm sure you have very high expectations for food and I'm delighted to hear we have surpassed them! We should exchange some notes on your next visit as I was a chef/Pastry chef many moons ago.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and treat you like a Queen at your little Paradise!

Paul Linder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 199 in Ubud
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!