Como Shambhala is definitely a gem of a place. I must admit that when I first arrived I was a bit concerned by the incredible noise of the cicadas and other jungle insects...almost deafening at times! Once I acclimated to this noise I found myself in a heavenly place.
Most everything is included from yoga to meals to several massages (we did "rejuvenation package"). Most of the yoga classes were great and the meals were outstanding. An entire raw menu for those who want to go healthy, delicious western and other food options and awesome smoothies!
One day we had lunch at the romantic pools down by the river. It's quite a hike and totally worth it...a little slice of heaven with great views, relaxing pools and the occasional excited scream of the river rafters going under one of the water falls nearby.
My one issue with Como is that after spending thousands of dollars they "nickle and dime" you for things like an extra smoothie or setting up dinner at your room ($10). These are small enough expenses that they should, in my opinion, just wrap it into the price and really make this place so relaxing you don't need think about anything but relaxing and enjoying and rejuvenating.
Our personal assistant was wonderfully helpful...sometimes actually a bit too present though as my wife didn't love coming out of yoga class or a massage feeling all relaxed and then there our assistant was saying "how was your massage", "can I escort you to your room", "what are you doing later", etc. It was funny the first day but then it became a bit too much. It was nice to have everything taken care of though.
The rooms were clean and the private pools were too...the only that I found is that the grounds and the main pool weren't kept as clean as they could be. There was often dirt and leaves on the pool chairs and such (we're in a jungle) and I felt that a bit more attention could have been paid by staff.
All in all - we loved this place mainly thanks to the beautiful room, the incredible food and the wonderful relaxing yoga, massages, etc. I would return to Como Shambhala for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat with luxury villa-style accommodations near Ubud, Bali. This ‘Retreat for Change’ is a place to relax and improve wellbeing. State-of-the-art wellness facilities include a Vitality pool, private treatment areas beside the River Ayung, a climbing wall, gym, Pilates studio and yoga pavilion. The Estate’s Resident Experts, who all support the 360-degree approach to wellness, include a Yoga Master, Ayurvedic Doctor and guides for outdoor activities, with nutritional menus by COMO Shambhala Cuisine. The range of suites and villas, perched above the Balinese jungle, suits independent guests, couples, or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your COMO Shambhala Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Como Shambhala Estate Hotel Payangan
- COMO Shambhala Estate Bali/Payangan