“Great for a short break”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed November 23, 2012

As most other visitors have said, this is a class resort. Outstanding service and food and a great location (as long as you're not expecting a beach!). It was very noisy during part of my stay because they were cutting odwn trees but I imagine that's just bad luck. There are fantastic spa facilities plus a range of other activities. The freewheel bike ride is a great way to see some of the more remote villages but do it early in the morning. Only downside was coming back from the estate walk to find a leech attached to my arm. I guess that's what you should expect in the jungle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear John S,

Greetings from the island of the god's and the thousand Temples,
Thank you for the wonderful review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the food, spa, and freewheel bike ride - it is indeed a great way to see the villages and the beauty of North Ubud.
Here at COMO Shambhala Estate we aim to provide a peaceful environment for our guests, so I note with concern the noise and it is unfortunate that you experienced this during your stay, but I'm happy that it didn't lessen your enjoyment of the Estate. On this occasion there was indeed a tree cutting going on from the nearby village and as we are surrounded by valleys noise travels easily.
Once again, thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our home in Bali, or any one of our COMO Hotels and Resorts worldwide.

Warm regards
Paul

Reviewed October 25, 2012

From the moment we arrived at Como Shimbhala and the beautiful tuber rose lai was wrapped around us, we knew we were in for a special vacation. Looking through the archway at Reception the property looks like it could take its place on the front cover of any LuxuryTravel Magazine. We loved our room (graciously given an upgrade), and stayed in the Fire Villas. The accommodation was spacious, outdoor area with a beautiful bath, a four poster bed and the room hosted all the modern amenities wifi, large plasma screen etc which was important consideration for my husband. Oh but the view, open the windows at sunrise and before you was the lush green tropical forest framing rice fields in the background, it was picture perfect. It was intensely private with absolutely no noise from other Hotel guests.
You had a Personal Assistant who organised everything for you, from where you wanted to dine, (which could be anywhere from down by one of the most romantic areas you could dream of near the river, or in your own dinning area on a daybed by the pool), any activities you wanted booked, luscious spa treatments, anything your hearts desired was attended to promptly and courteously, nothing was to much trouble. We had the pleasure of having both Agung and Dayu as our Personal Assistants, they were so delightful, beautiful Balinese smiles and very much added to our wonderful experience at Shimbhala. The daytime activities were great, yoga, pilates, meditation, we enjoyed them all. Renata the Pilates instructor deserves a special mention for her fantastic classes and her gorgeous manner. My husband went on a really tough bike ride that Agung organised for him and he enjoyed it very much. You could however choose to do set programmes, Detox, Yoga etc but we enjoyed the flexibility of doing our own activities at our own pace. The food was great with a choice of 2 Restuarants, with the emphasis being on raw wholesome, delicious food with some Indonesian dishes. They also had a wonderful selection of healthy juices to choose from.
The property itself, I could never quite find the words to paint the picture of how spectacular the grounds truly are. Acres of beautiful trees and forest, a gorgeous pool area. Do yourself a favour and find out for yourself! Here is a hint, anything less than 4 nights you will wish you had booked for more! It is set 15 minutes from Ubud and is a long intense ride from the Airport but if you are looking for true relaxation in a luxurious setting with exceptional service Como Shimbhala is the perfect holiday destination for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank audrey632

Dear audrey632,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your villa "Tejasuara" (Sound of Fire) and in particular the splendid views of forest and rice fields. This was my first experience when I stayed there in 2004 - my favorite Residence too.

I have passed your comments on to Renata, Agung and Dayu and they send their best regards!

I do agree that it is hard to experience all we have to offer under 4 nights. I'm glad you got to try most of our daytime activities. All of our 'guided challenges' have been personally tried and curated by our own Activities team, so they are delighted to hear that your husband was challenged but still enjoyed his bike ride very much.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bali.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I am at lost for words to describe this amazing Estate. If you are looking for an hotel, amazing or otherwise, this is not the place for you. As one other recent reviewers noted there are a large amount of beautiful 5 stars hotel in Bali, that cost much less, so don't even consider Como. This is an experience for seriously enlightened human beings on a journey (whatever it is?), of course one can be enlightened but just want a good old fashion 5 star luxury vacation and for that consider one of the other amazing hotels on the island, they will do fine...
As I have said I am lost for words, however the review by Delicious 108 pretty much expresses my sentiments. The whole experience from the minute i stepped into the magical place until i left was amazing. I will be back...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shevanne

Dear Shevanne,
Greetings from Bali! Thank you for the enlightened review, I agree that here at COMO Shambhala Estate, with our focus on wellbeing and relaxation, we offer a very different kind of experience not found elsewhere.

For people looking for a more "traditional" - but still special - luxury experience, may I also recommend our sister property in Ubud, the Uma by COMO (recently referred to by another Tripadvisor member as a "cute little sister" to the COMO Shambhala Estate!)

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we, the whole COMO Shambhala family look forward to welcoming you back to your little paradise in Ubud.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are not words beautiful enough to describe The Como Shambhala Estate. This is not merely a hotel, but the most generous invitation into paradise!
Since May 2007 I have stayed now 8 times, mostly for 7 day stays. I always take one of the Wellness program packages which include meals and treatments.
I feel totally at ease and am treated like a princess. It is hands down my favourite property on earth. My five star ashram !
For me It is a wellness retreat, however there's room to move in all directions ! You make your own path......with the assistance of your personal butler- who arranges your treatments, activities, classes. A huge thankyou to Yanti, Coki, Dewa & Sumantra ! You guys have spoilt me for life !
One unique aspect of CSE is that it caters for many tastes:
and not in a watered down "please all way" They pull it off with professionalism and perfection !
-a dawn ascent of a volcano, a mountain bike or through rice fields, a day laying beside one of the stunning pools or a private champagne dinner with more candles and tuberose than I could count !

The Como Shambhala spa is superb and the therapists angelic ! The settings for the treatments are a treat: the open air treatment rooms down by the river and the indoors areas at Ojas -which boast both indoors and garden showers. Thankyou to Sally, who manages the spa and to my favourite therapist Wati for your many years of amazing massages !
Daily yoga and pranayama classes are superb, held in stunning open air Bales. Thankyou to Christina, Katiza, Ann & Mark over the years you have all been a huge inspiration and your yoga teachings resonate in my heart.
The Estate's location, at Begawan Giri is positioned at a sacred spring and is magical, energising and cleansing in one clean swoop !
As a chef the food keeps drawing me back ! It's hard to stay at any other hotel now- even the Aman's ! Cuisine is outstanding and the menu diverse -catering to all tastes. It's hip, flavoursome and cooked with love, ensuring dishes retain the integrity of the fresh ingredients. Aah the salad of young coconut, prawn and pomelo (an all time favourite) A huge thankyou to chef Amanda and Chris now at the Metropolitan, Bangkok !
The raw food is superb- don't be scared off by the idea of healthy nutritious food ! Oh and yes there is a Wagyu Beef Rendang- Keeps my husband happy !
The rooms: I have stayed in a few and each has its own personality from the clean, edgy retreat villas to the beautiful Bayugita: the website has plenty of images but each residence or villa is just beyond devine !
The Bed sheets are the best I've slept in......... cloud like. House keeping is impeccable: in all of my stays, I have not once returned to my room after breakfast to find it uncleaned (and I get up early !). They are magic and totally on the ball ! Delicious Como Shambhala toiletries and drinking water are refreshed regularly. Turn down is always timed to when you have vacated the room for dinner or a sunset massage !
Hospitality at its finest It does not get better !
Of course I will be back again ! what a gift !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Delicious108

Dear Delicious108,
Thank you for the comprehensive review and of course, for making us your home in Bali for so many years.

I have passed your kind comments on to the whole team, in particular Yanti, Coki, Dewa and Sumanta even some of them have moved and to be found at "Parrot Cay" our sister property in the Caribbean on Turks and Caicos, Sally and the spa staff, Marc our Yoga instructors and in charge of Activities and his colleagues, as well as Amanda and the kitchen team, and they are all very appreciative. Being a chef I'm sure you have very high expectations for food and I'm delighted to hear we have surpassed them! We should exchange some notes on your next visit as I was a chef/Pastry chef many moons ago.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and treat you like a Queen at your little Paradise!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is located in the middle of a jungle with a lot of beautiful sceneries all around you! The food was great and they were always trying to make us feel like we're home! It's so cosy and all in all a wonderful experience! Would love to go back again'

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear DanaSalhi,
Greetings from COMO Jungle! Thank you for leaving a review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to your cozy home.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2012

It's a nice place, but some of the smaller boutique hotels around Ubud are less expensive and still deliver a similar experience.

The delivery of your bill the night before to ease your "worry" about bill settlement was simply a ploy to get you to sign on for a late check out for 50% of the day rate. At this level of hotel, it was quite simply an appalling request for a 2 hour extension when the resort was not full.

There was most definitely a push to get you to sign up for activities that were charged for.

I wasn't trying to test the place, but the 2 small requests I made received a blank smile and then were ignored/ forgotten. That is just not consistent with a 5 star rating or the room rate!

Room Tip: The rooms center around an outdoor living room pavillion. If you want a vista or want to be upstairs...
Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
MonicaBarter, Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Intrepid_88,

Greetings from Bali and thank you for your review.

We apologize that our gesture of asking for your bill to be re-viewed the night before your departure was perceived otherwise. Perhaps it could have been better explained at the time.

Asides from spa treatments and other healing mind-body modalities, COMO Shambhala Estate is also known for having one of the best developed Activities Menu in Bali. We therefore encourage all our guests to explore outside of The Estate as well.

We have carefully crafted half and full day trips that are physically challenging as well as with a touch of the spiritual. We generally encourage all guests who have sampled the complimentary activities to further explore by booking some private time to with our Guides.

We hope your visit to Bali was a fulfilling one and look forward to your return.

Monica Barter
COMO Shambhala
Group Operations Dir

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I cannot even say enough about how wonderful this Estate is and the amazing value you get for what you spend. I went on the recommendation of Donna Karan....a spiritual quest. And I found everything I was looking for and more. It can be whatever you want it to be though, a great place to unwind and be pampered or you can take it deeper. I have never been to a place where the staff and people are so genuinely friendly and helpful, they truly just want to see you happy.
The food is to die for!!!! The juices are amazing! They have some of the best yoga teachers I've had AND my dear personal assistant the Estate assigned to me, Agyung, became my best friend. Im returning as soon as I can...
Hendra put together a beautiful package for me....Thank you COMO Shambhala. I send EVERYONE there now.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
MonicaBarter, Operations Dir at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear Christopher,

Many thanks for your enthusiastic review that captures the essence of COMO Shambhala Estate, Bali.

Indeed, of special note are our unsung heroes at Reservations, who carefully crafted your stay, until it truly unfolded when you arrived at The Estate.

All of us here look forward to your return.

With warm wishes from Bali,

Monica Barter
COMO Shambhala
Operations Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 199 in Ubud
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!