This is one of the most beautiful resorts in the world. At $350 per night, the rack rate puts it at the bottom rung of the high end hotels, and as such it is great value.
What is not good is the feeling of nickling and diming on food and beverages, the lack of a shuttle to town ($20 each way - every other hotels offers this for free), and expensive everything. Although the number of rooms is small, the resorts lacks a sense of personality. You still sign for everything for example.
Almost all staff are well-intentioned but are not operating at the highest levels, leading to many service issues. This is a clear management problem.
In fact, during our 7 day stay this time, or on any of the previous 10 or so occasions we have visited the resort in the last six months for stays or treatments, we have not once seen the General Manager, to the point where I started to doubt his existence. This is appalling, especially for a resort with such a small number of rooms. I was told on one day that he was at Uma, Como's other property in Ubud. Perhaps he is being asked to manage two resorts for the price of one, but most of the problems we had with our stays and visits are down to simple lack of oversight, coordination and training, and that, ultimately, is down to the mysteriously absent GM.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat with luxury villa-style accommodations near Ubud, Bali. This ‘Retreat for Change’ is a place to relax and improve wellbeing. State-of-the-art wellness facilities include a Vitality pool, private treatment areas beside the River Ayung, a climbing wall, gym, Pilates studio and yoga pavilion. The Estate’s Resident Experts, who all support the 360-degree approach to wellness, include a Yoga Master, Ayurvedic Doctor and guides for outdoor activities, with nutritional menus by COMO Shambhala Cuisine. The range of suites and villas, perched above the Balinese jungle, suits independent guests, couples, or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your COMO Shambhala Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Como Shambhala Estate Hotel Payangan
- COMO Shambhala Estate Bali/Payangan