“Amazing”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Ubud Hanging Gardens was the wow hotel of our honeymoon stay. This place is simply breathtaking - the location in the hills of Ubud opposite a temple with the valleys below is amazing. We stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe panoramic villa, I think this was worth the extra money as the unspoilt view from the top was beautiful. Never been to a hotel where you use cable cars to get around, quitre unique !!

The food in the hotel was very good - breakfast was a great buffet selection with fresh eggs cooked however you like. Dinner is more expensive than we paid elsewhere in Bali, but we expected that. I do agree with previous reviews that I would have liked a more affordable wine selection, but you find this everywhere in Bali and I was happy to experience the local Bali wine which was good.

I am glad that we had stayed in central Ubud for 2 nights previously though, because its not convenient to keep getting a taxi, it is quite a way out of Ubud. Other people have said they didn't mind, but I think if you experience the convenience of walking to the markets, attractions and restaurants of Ubud you'll agree that is a plus. We stayed in Komeneka at Monkey Forest Road which was beautiful too, fabulous room even though it was a standard one, location was great and setting was lovely too. Plus, in Ubud Hanging Gardens all we really wanted to do was relax and enjoy this beautiful hotel and our villa after all that is what we paid for.

The staff are extremely happy, helpful and friendly, a credit to the hotel. We also really enjoyed the school children coming to the hotel and making the petal offerings to the Gods and also their traditional Balinese dance performance.

As a honeymoon couple we got a present every day which was so thoughtful and made us feel really special, we were given a handmade necklace and cufflinks and then a box filled with lemongrass oil, Balinese long pepper and Balinese tea. Our room was amazing with our own infinity pool we felt like film stars, oh and loved the straw hats to use too !

I only wish we could have afforded to stay longer. After here we travelled South to Nusa Dua, staying in the Laguna Resort & Spa which was lovely but a bit soul-less in comparison to Komeneka and Ubud Hanging Gardens. If you want an extra special stay in paradise, stay in central Ubud first, then come and relax in Ubud Hanging Gardens !

1  Thank MissAMiddlesex

Reviewed October 6, 2009

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all then this place is perfect! The villas are great and have wonderful views over the valley, you can sit there all day and believe you are the only people there. A lovely room with its own infinity pool and also a bigger shared infiinity pool overlooking the valley below is just paradise.

The location is isolated which is nice but then again it takes some time to get to the town. I had no issues with that with the hotel providing a car on demand along with restaurant recommendations. The driver can even wait and take you home whenever it suits you. The hotel were also very good at providing custom tours on demand with a knowledgeable driver.

My only issue with the place is that the food/wine is expensive. I appreciate that the restaurant is high quality and is priced accordingly, however when I was looking for a room service dinner and a bottle of wine, I would prefer to have an option of more reasonably priced food as opposed to top French cuisine. They have a great wine list, but again, for a quick dinner in the room, the price is too much. I did enjoy the food and wine very much but the hotel should offer a broader romm service option.

This place is expensive, but I feel they gave me a good deal and it is worth the money. There are lots of alternatives in Ubud and Bali when it comes to villas but I feel I really made the perfect choice to stay at Hanging Gardens. I would recommend it to others, especially couples looking to get away from it all.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HKSmithers
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2009

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the tranquil beauty of our hinterland location and that your overall experience was most favourable.

I understand your concern regarding the high standard of our Food & Beverage services, especially if you were expecting more simple fare. However, given the culinary pedigree of our award-winning Executive Chef, fine wining and dining has become a signature attribute of Ubud Hanging Gardens.

I will certainly investigate the feasibility of creating a more generalised in-room dining menu. But as you can imagine individual taste is entirely subjective and the main challenge is trying to appeal to a wide audience of international diners. For future reference, please be advised that our personal service does extend to preparing requested dishes and catering to special dietary needs.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred holiday destination on the island. Your feedback will, without doubt, help us continue our quest to be amongst the leaders of the local tourism industry. I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us again on future travels to Bali. Until then I wish you all the very best.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

A truly excellent hotel. The location was perfect for us - far from the tackiness and hawkers of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak - yet only a short drive to Ubud's superb restaurants and endearing shops and market. Come here for a stunning rainforest location, insight into local life in Susut village, delicious food, impeccable service, and extremely comfortable and spacious villas. Service and food really was a high point, I cannot commend the staff highly enough.

One piece of advice would be not to shy away from hiring your own car and exploring the island by road (if you have driven on the European continent or in London you'll find it a doddle). Most Balinese tour guides or holiday company reps will advise you not to do this, but many of them imagine that us westerners are pristine, precious, and so litigious that if we encountered any trouble with local police we'd come knocking on their doors complaining that it was their fault. The truth is that if you drive sensibly, obtain an international driving permit and a good map, and ALWAYS wear your seatbelt, you'll be fine. There are some deserted, white sand beaches on the each cost of Gianyar and past Candi Dasa which make independent travel well worth it.

You might also like to use a driver for the day, although this is far more expensive, although still cheap by our standards. The hotel can organise this for you or try the various chaps offering transport in Ubud centre. We used a driver for one day to see Gunung Batur, Gunung Kawi, and various other major tourist sights. It was a good idea for these places as he was able to shoo away hawkers and negotiate parking. The Hanging Gardens encourages guests to use local taxis into and out of Ubud after their shuttle bus hours and we felt this was a good policy in order to direct tourists money to the local economy. Susut is a wonderful village and the hotel have cultivated close relationships with its inhabitants. This is typified by the wonderful Legong Dance that takes place two afternoons a week, with free teas, coffees, and lovely handmade sweets, at the hotel cafe which is performed by local boys and girls aged 3-12yrs ish.

Finally, highly recommended would be the hotels cooking lesson with private lunch and botanical walk. Gusti, one of the staff members, conducted our botanical walk and was extremely knowledgeable. If you're going just for fun he can give you a simple roundup of what grows in the local area and how they use it. If, like me, you're into gardening and like to ask lots of questions, he never gets tired of giving you insight into the cultivation of all the plants, their homeopathic uses, and also lots of cultural information on how families live in the area. If you're there on honeymoon or as a couple you will kick yourselves if you don't take advantage of the 'romantic secret dinner' excursion that the hotel offers. I won't spoil it by telling you what the location is but you won't match it anywhere else. Do it or forever regret it!

2  Thank Hapa1983
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for writing such an inspiring account of your recent time spent with us. It is obvious that your overall stay proved to be a most enriching experience. I am glad that you truly appreciated our hinterland location and noticed the strong relationship that we have carefully cultivated with the local community.

Your kind remarks about our hospitality and culinary services have also been shared with all staff members. They were delighted to hear that their efforts have been duly recognised.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred destination. We invariably rely on such feedback to help us continue our quest to be amongst the leaders in the local tourism industry. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return again soon on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I and my husband stayed at the panoramic pool villa suite. It had a beautiful bedroom, 1 full bathroom with a huge bathtub, a drawing room with another smaller bathroom, a seperate outdoor spa area with another bathtub, an outdoor covered dining area, a sundeck and owr own private heated infinity pool.the only problem was the "heating" of the pool. it took forever to heat up and even its max temp isnt very warm!!! the view is incredible beautiful. our choice of room offered 100% privacy though lower rung rooms, though as beautiful, do not really offer much privacy!

However, our experience was to die for. The amneties are upto the standard. Transport was available on request at USD 30, for around 3-4hrs. The breakfast menu was huge and the food very tasty. The spa was good too! We got several free gifts and the hotel staff was very cultured and friendly. We are definately headign bak there whenever we head back to Bali! Very very satisfied with the experience. I and my husband also did a tempel trekk on our own.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the hotel with your husband. I am delighted to hear that your overall experience was most memorable and that all your personal needs were anticipated.

I do apologise that you found that the private plunge pool took some time to heat up. Our Engineering Team is on call around the clock to take care of such issues. I am sure that just a minor temperature adjustment would have had the water warmed to your liking in no time at all.

Once again, I appreciate your positive feedback. I am glad that you are considering a return visit to Ubud Hanging Garden’s on future travels to Bali. So until then, I wish you all the very best.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed at the Hanging Gardens for 3 nights of a 2 week honeymoon in Bali & Lombok and it was by far our favourite hotel. The scenery and set up of the hotel is incredible with breaktaking views, fantastic accommodation and a unique set up in the mountainside. It is a perfect honeymoon location with private, luxurious villas, extremely friendly and helpful staff who always refer to you by name and a fantastic restaurant which although relatively expensive is worth every penny. Ubud itself is only a 15 minute taxi ride away which means you can also see a bit of the local town and sights as well as sample some of the food outside of the restaurant. For us it will be a special part of our honeymoon that we will never forget, we'd love to go back and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Greetings from sunny Ubud.

Thank your for sharing your thoughts of your honeymoon experience at the hotel. I am delighted to hear that all your needs were suitably anticipated and your stay was a most special part of your romantic celebration.

Rural Ubud is the perfect hideaway for newly weds to spend a few nights alone immersed in the tranquil beauty of the surrounding environment. The opportunity to unwind and take delight in life’s simple pleasures is indeed the ultimate luxury.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens. I wish you all the very best as you embark on your journey through life together. Hopefully future travels to the island of Bali will bring you back to spend time with us again.

Reviewed September 7, 2009

Having planned the holiday of a lifetime for our honeymoon using Trip Advisor to make our final choices I feel I should now write some reviews myself having found other reviews so helpful!
There were some mixed reviews about Hanging Gardens - however, the romance factor of the amazing setting and the infinity pool swung it for us and we booked! And I'm so pleased we did - we had an AMAZING stay there.
The setting is fantastic and we didn't mind the 20 minute journey into Ubud at all. In fact, for us it made the holiday even better. Ubud is very busy and rather hectic so visiting and then coming back to the tranquility of the hotel was a real bonus. Not to mention that every journey there and back was so interesting - always a ceremony or something else interesting to look at. We really felt that being further away from the tourist traps allowed us to take in some more of Bali's culture. Yes the shuttle service finishes at 5.30pm but we just made sure we got the last one into Ubud and then called the hotel 30 minutes before we wanted to be collected later on and a driver came to get us - it's only $15. We by no means felt 'trapped' at the hotel.
We did have dinner at the restaurant one evening and it was very good - by London standards we thought it was quite reasonable for the quality of the food served. It cost us approx £100 for 3 courses and a bottle of Bali produced wine - it's really the wine in Bali that pushes up the price of dinner as it's so heavily taxed. Given that you can go into Ubud and have a great indonesian meal and a couple of Bintangs for less the 15 quid it all evens out!
The room was tasteful and well appointed with fantastic views over the jungle and to the temple opposite. Hearing all the noises of the jungle and the rushing of the river below was very atmospheric. The only downside was that it smelt a little damp - but given the setting I suppose it's not surprising.
We also did a couple of experiences through the hotel - The Morning Botanical Walk which was very interesting and The Cooking Class which was great fun, in a gorgeous location and was very tasty!
The biggest asset to UHG's though is it's staff - polite, helpful, charming and friendly - we really felt that they went out of the way to make our holiday special.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iluvholsLondon

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your personal impressions regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that your overall experience was most pleasant and that our hinterland location gave you a true taste of rural Bali.

I do apologise that you felt there was a slight damp smell in your room. Given that we are encompassed by tropical jungle in an area that is subject rain showers, this is indeed one of the challenges that we face when weather conditions are not favourable.

While the setting of the hotel is quite splendid, I have to agree with you that our team of dedicated staff is our finest asset. Please be advised that I always make a point to pass on the feedback that we receive and it delights the staff no end to hear that their efforts have been recognised by discerning international travellers.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and I am glad that all your needs were suitably anticipated during your stay. I hope that future travel to the spiritually charged island of Bali will bring you back to Ubud Hanging Gardens and I wish you all the very best until then.

Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed here as part of a 3 centre tour of Bali, staying also at Ayana (ex Ritz Carlton) in Jimbaran & Le Meridien at Tanah Lot. As a family of 4 with 2 adult children, we wanted luxury & space so at all 3 properties we booked 2 bed private pool villas. The villas at both the Ayana & Le Meridien were fabulous; really luxurious & beautifully maintained. So we we extremely disappointed when we stepped into our 2 bed villa at Hanging Gardens. The upstairs bedroom was fine but the twin room downstairs was in a very sorry state. Spoke to the pleasant & understanding manager but nothing could be done as the hotel was full. So we just got on with it & that is when Hanging gardens started to weave its magic.

The setting is really spectacular & this, combined with truly wonderful staff made all our gripes disappear. To be fair, trying to maintain a resort built of wood in the middle of a tropical forest must be an uphill task as things deteriorate quickly in such conditions yet all the communal areas are very well maintained & extremely beautiful & I'm sure that the majority of the rooms are the same. If, like us, your children would like the same level of comfort as you, then I suggest booking two seperate villas rather than the 2 bed ones. Otherwise, the resort cannot be faulted. We found the food to be delicious & beautifully presented & there is a really magical feeling to the hotel.

The hotel has strong links with the local community which is good & it works hard to give something back by supporting the local school. Just about every menber of staff invited us around to their home in the village for tea which was very sweet & it was good to be able to see something of the real Bali. At first, we thought that the Hanging Gardens was not up to the same standards of other orient Express properties but we were so wrong; it is a very special place & we would highly recommend it. Many Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so wonderful.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

Greetings from sunny Ubud.
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your recent stay with your family. I am delighted to hear that despite your initial reservations regarding your two-bedroom villa, you were able to appreciate the serene beauty of our hinterland location.

It is also heartening that you were aware of the strong links between the property and the local community. One of our aims, apart from being leaders in the island’s evolving tourism industry, has been to ‘give back’ to the Balinese. This has involved sponsoring the village school and fostering the artistic talents of the neighbourhood children. We also try to source employees from the surrounding areas wherever possible.

I am sure that you understand the enormous challenge of keeping a property built from indigenous stone and timber in pristine condition. Given our remote location and the tropical weather patterns experienced in the area, there is an extraordinary amount of wear and tear to the villas. Repairs are carried out gradually to avoid inconveniencing our guests with unnecessary noise and disruption. It is also important to mention the sheer magnitude of any work that is undertaken as all materials have to be physically carried into the resort (balanced on the heads of a team of labourers).

However, as discussed we will be commencing a major aesthetic refurbishment programme in early 2010, which is expected to redefine Ubud Hanging Gardens as a high-end retreat. Each villa will be given a new lease of life with a focus on Balinese artistry and feature modern comforts to enrich each stay.

Once again, thank you for recognising that Ubud Hanging Gardens is truly a unique retreat where nature’s precious bounty has the power to replenish the body, mind and spirit. I wish you all the very best and hope that future travels with your family are filled with rewarding experiences.

Nicolas Pillet

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
The Kayon Resort
The Kayon Resort
#3 of 199 in Ubud
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!