“Magical Hanging Gardens”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed here as part of a 3 centre tour of Bali, staying also at Ayana (ex Ritz Carlton) in Jimbaran & Le Meridien at Tanah Lot. As a family of 4 with 2 adult children, we wanted luxury & space so at all 3 properties we booked 2 bed private pool villas. The villas at both the Ayana & Le Meridien were fabulous; really luxurious & beautifully maintained. So we we extremely disappointed when we stepped into our 2 bed villa at Hanging Gardens. The upstairs bedroom was fine but the twin room downstairs was in a very sorry state. Spoke to the pleasant & understanding manager but nothing could be done as the hotel was full. So we just got on with it & that is when Hanging gardens started to weave its magic.

The setting is really spectacular & this, combined with truly wonderful staff made all our gripes disappear. To be fair, trying to maintain a resort built of wood in the middle of a tropical forest must be an uphill task as things deteriorate quickly in such conditions yet all the communal areas are very well maintained & extremely beautiful & I'm sure that the majority of the rooms are the same. If, like us, your children would like the same level of comfort as you, then I suggest booking two seperate villas rather than the 2 bed ones. Otherwise, the resort cannot be faulted. We found the food to be delicious & beautifully presented & there is a really magical feeling to the hotel.

The hotel has strong links with the local community which is good & it works hard to give something back by supporting the local school. Just about every menber of staff invited us around to their home in the village for tea which was very sweet & it was good to be able to see something of the real Bali. At first, we thought that the Hanging Gardens was not up to the same standards of other orient Express properties but we were so wrong; it is a very special place & we would highly recommend it. Many Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so wonderful.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

Greetings from sunny Ubud.
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your recent stay with your family. I am delighted to hear that despite your initial reservations regarding your two-bedroom villa, you were able to appreciate the serene beauty of our hinterland location.

It is also heartening that you were aware of the strong links between the property and the local community. One of our aims, apart from being leaders in the island’s evolving tourism industry, has been to ‘give back’ to the Balinese. This has involved sponsoring the village school and fostering the artistic talents of the neighbourhood children. We also try to source employees from the surrounding areas wherever possible.

I am sure that you understand the enormous challenge of keeping a property built from indigenous stone and timber in pristine condition. Given our remote location and the tropical weather patterns experienced in the area, there is an extraordinary amount of wear and tear to the villas. Repairs are carried out gradually to avoid inconveniencing our guests with unnecessary noise and disruption. It is also important to mention the sheer magnitude of any work that is undertaken as all materials have to be physically carried into the resort (balanced on the heads of a team of labourers).

However, as discussed we will be commencing a major aesthetic refurbishment programme in early 2010, which is expected to redefine Ubud Hanging Gardens as a high-end retreat. Each villa will be given a new lease of life with a focus on Balinese artistry and feature modern comforts to enrich each stay.

Once again, thank you for recognising that Ubud Hanging Gardens is truly a unique retreat where nature’s precious bounty has the power to replenish the body, mind and spirit. I wish you all the very best and hope that future travels with your family are filled with rewarding experiences.

Yours Sincerely,

Nicolas Pillet

Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed September 4, 2009

The rooms and the setting are very beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the restaurant, although pricey for Bali, is excellent and even a good value when translated into European terms. The quality of the restaurant is very important, since most of the restaurants in Ubud, while undoubtedly cheaper, are quite mediocre. We spent a wonderful week at the Ubud hanging Gardens, and are already discussing when we will have the time to come back.
That being said, there are a few points that would make paradise even better:
1) Most hotels of this caliber provide some low keyed live entertainment in the bar in the evenings, generally a piano player and a singer. Or just a piano player. We really missed being able to have a nightcap accompanied by some soft, well executed music.
2) The spa is, frankly mediocre and overpriced. You can get a much better massage in town at a fraction of the price. The absence of a sauna or steambath, for a place of this quality, is quite shocking.
3) The rooms were very clean and very tastefully decorated. The toilets, however, lacked a bidet or water spray mechanism, which is quite frequently found in Indonesia. The wooden floors could benefit from more frequent waxing.

1  Thank BruceLeimsidor

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed by our hinterland location and the level of hospitality extended by the staff members.

I have noted your observations regarding the tired appearance of your villa. I am sure that you are aware of the challenges that we face to maintain the property given our surrounding jungle terrain and tropical weather conditions. We invariably try to initiate repairs without disturbing guests as all materials have to be physically carried into the resort. Incidentally, this is how Ubud Hanging Gardens was built – stone by stone carried on top of labourers’ heads down the sloping contours of this incredible landscape.

For your information we will be commencing a major aesthetic refurbishment programme in early 2010. Each villa will be given a new lease of life and redefine Ubud Hanging Gardens as a high-end retreat. There will still be a special emphasis of the creative talents of local Balinese artistry as well as modern comforts to anticipate the needs of discerning travellers.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate your feedback and thank you for recommending the property to others. I hope that you will consider Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred retreat on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Your Sincerely,

Reviewed September 4, 2009

The place is stunning, the hotel is unique and in an amazing location... i am really glad i stayed here . The food was great and the staff were very friendly. However, the hotel did appear slightly tired ... i cant quite explain why, it just felt like it needed a really really good scrub or fresh coat of paint, also our tv didnt work properly ... but it was by no means dirty..i just thought it could have looked slightly fresher... But if you want a unique hotel this is the place. One other thing..The excursions and the spa treatments I thought were much pricier than other hotels I had stayed in in Bali of a similar class. But definately would recommend to people .

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for sharing your personal impressions of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that your experience was most favourable and that you are considering a return visit.

I also appreciate that you recognised the quality of the culinary services at our restaurant. We have tried to showcases the expertise of our F&B team with a distinctive menu that complements the serene beauty of our hinterland location.

Please be advised that I have noted your observations and recommendations on areas that can be improved to enhance the property and its facilities. For your information, we will be carrying out a major aesthetic refurbishment programme in early 2010, which is expected to redefine Ubud Hanging Gardens as a high-end retreat.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Garden for your recent sojourn on the spiritually charged island of Bali. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed September 3, 2009

While this was our honeymoon, we were not interested in staying holed up in our villa. After 4 days at The Samaya in Seminyak, we felt relaxed but we had not really gotten a sense of Bali, or its culture and beauty (that we had heard so much about). Ubud Hanging Gardens was the perfect place for this. From the little things they do (fresh local fruit in the room each day with an explanation of what it is, bringing in local children from the village during teatime to dance, make flower offerings, play music) to the more extravagant evenings they will plan (we did the enchanted evening during which we were escorted to the local temple and fully costumed kids did a dance performance accompanied by 10+ musicians just for us!) -- we left UHG feeling like we really saw Bali.

While I could write several pages about our stay (we booked the Something to Celebrate package), let me summarize the highlights:

1) Staff -- truly the nicest, incredibly trained, friendly, and personal (they all seemed to know our names as well as our plans for the day!) many are from the local village and they are eager to answer questions/talk about their lives. GM and Food/Bev manager were very "present" during our stay and interested in talking to guests as well as dealing with any issues/concerns. all staff felt genuinely committed to ensuring we had a great stay.

2) Setting -- website pictures are not at all misleading. it is a beautiful property and unlike any place we have ever stayed. the pool is spectacular and we loved spending time at different places within the property -- picnic lunch by the river, teatime at the cafe just above the river, dinner looking out over the jungle. you can hike up to the temple on the other side of the river facing the hotel. while we would have liked a gym, we found that we could run up/down the many stairs on the property as well as swim laps in the pool. we loved jumping into our private pool following a few trips up/down the stairs!

3) Rooms -- we loved our villa (#11) a suite at the top level of the resort, but all the rooms looked lovely. height/level you are on depends on the kind of view you want. our only minor complaint was that the a/c was not as strong as we would have liked since we like to sleep with it quite cold.

4) Activities -- the hotel offers many but also is very supportive of other plans you may make. we had organized two day trips with a local company (Sobek) and they called to confirm with them, as well as called to confirm dinner reservations at Mozaic. As mentioned above, we did the enchanted evening as well as the bamboo deck picnic. Both were terrific and the hotel accommodated our somewhat difficult food restrictions. The enchanted evening, while not cheap, was an unforgettable night and the best finale to our trip.

5) Food -- we loved the breakfast buffet, which was included in our package. it had a wide range of choices and everything was delicious. all other meals we had at the hotel were very good. we really enjoyed the complementary afternoon tea/coffee at the cafe that included little snacks. the only minor complaint is that it was not clear when drinks were/were not included in the meal and so we often ended up with a bill for our drinks for a meal that was included in our package.

6) Location -- as mentioned, the property is 30 min out of central Ubud and so if you are someone who wants to be able to easily get to/from there several times a day, UHG isn't the best choice. we did not find central Ubud to be a place we wanted to spend much time, and so the shuttle on the hour was fine. the two nights we wanted to eat in Ubud we took the last shuttle at 5 PM, walked around town a little, ate dinner, and then had the hotel pick us up for $15. while a later shuttle would have been nice, for our dinner at mozaic, it would have been a 20 min walk back to the shuttle drop off and so we probably would have taken a taxi anyway. we also realized that the current set-up provides more opportunities for drivers from the local village to earn a living!

7) Other -- we really appreciated the free internet, newspapers and dvds in the library/restaurant, and the hotel gift shop, which had great things and enabled me to avoid spending a lot of time shopping for gifts to bring home!

1  Thank jam6208
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

Greetings from sunny Ubud,

I am delighted that you chose Ubud Hanging Gardens to celebrate your honeymoon and that your time with us proved to be a most enriching experience. Thank you for sharing the highlights of your stay.

I am heartened to hear that that the property gave you a better insight to the island of Bali and its unique cultural traditions. We have proudly forged a strong relationship with the local community. We also strive to foster the artistic skills of the village children by inviting them to perform and make offerings before an audience of in-house guests.

Your observation regarding the set-up of our shuttle service is quite correct. It operates throughout the day at regular intervals but also gives us the opportunity to support the transportation service operated by the villagers. Ubud Hanging Gardens was founded on the principal of ‘giving back’ and this extends to utilising local talent wherever possible.

Once again, thank you for your positive report and I am glad that your honeymoon was filled with many precious memories. I wish your all the very best as you embark on your journey through life as a newlyweds. Hopefully you will consider the hotel as your preferred retreat in Ubud on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

If I ruled the world every single person living would get a chance to experience this resort. It would be a requirement and would probably make peace on earth possible.

Okay, I'm being a little dramatic but words cannot express how wonderful our stay here was. You get what you pay for so of course the staff was extremely friendly (but I think most of that's just the balinese way), of course the service was excellent so on and so on, but what is so special about this place is the location. The gorgeous pictures on the website don't lie at all like some hotels and aren't taken from just that one angle that makes it look pretty but can't even compare to the experience of being on the edge of this valley over the river in the middle of the jungle with all the sounds and smells, the light fog that disappears as the sun wakes up...If we could live there we would. We have extremely stressful and busy jobs and lives and though I consider myself a seasoned traveler I have never found such a getawayfromitall relaxing and simply beautiful place. I'm desperately trying each year to find a way to get back.

As an aside, it you've an appreciation for architecture and craftsmanship that actually takes into consideration the environment in which it is created you'll really love it here.

I should also mention that we got married here on the main infinity pool with some family in attendance and it was an experience beyond all expectations or dreams. I couldn't believe it but the food for our wedding almost outshined the location! I'm not a dream-wedding-really- interested-in-wedding-details kind of person and they took care of everything and created the perfect dream wedding for us we never knew we wanted!!

If there was anything to critique just for improvement's sake, I'd say that the normal food (besides that offered at our wedding which was some of the best I've had in my life) offered here isn't up to par with the rest of the resort or enviornment. The buffet style breakfast I'd skip if the view from the restaurant in the morning wasn't as spectacular as it is. Not horrible, but definitely not good. Still, we ate there every single morning because of the view. We also had our first night's dinner at the restaurant and it was a bit deflating to the excitement of our arrival. Honestly, that dinner worried us about the dinner for our wedding. I don't know if the main chef was off that night or what because we never went back to the restaurant for dinner or lunch. The only other thing I'd critique would be that some of the wood inside the villa needed finishing. Nothing major, just a little wear and tear that needed upkeep that most people who don't pay attention to that stuff wouldn't even notice. But I did and that's only because I enjoy well done craftsmanship and it's a shame not to let it shine as it should for want of a little sanding and staining.

We're already planning our second stay in 2 years at Ubud Hanging Gardens (and it's a long trip from California) but if you're trying to decide whether to make a reservation here, do it. Run. Don't walk. You'll love your life even more once you've treated yourself to this experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldenspiral
hotelmanagement_8, gereral manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

Greetings from sunny Ubud,

Thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your wedding day destination on the spiritually charged island of Bali. Your poetic description of our hinterland location and its serene ambience was quite moving.

I am delighted to hear that your wedding celebration proved to be a most memorable experience and that it exceeded all expectation. It is obvious that the property has found a place in your heart and you were able to truly relax away from the hectic pace of the modern world.

However, I am disturbed that you felt our culinary services were below par in comparison to the rest of the resort. We usually receive extremely favourable feedback to the restaurant and its distinct menu of gourmet cuisine from our discerning clientele. Had you voiced your concerns during your stay regarding the calibre of meals served, I would have personally investigated your critiques.

Our focus is to emphasise the creativity of Bali’s local artisans with a décor balanced by modern comforts to enhance each and every stay.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments. I understand that Ubud Hanging Gardens is quite a long journey from California and I appreciate that you are already planning a return visit. I wish you all the very best and look forward to welcoming you back to our precious resort in the near future.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

The beautiful pictures found on the internet had convinced me to book this hotel but some mixed reviews left me with some doubts that the experience would be as great as the resort looks. For me, the experience was just great!

Arrival at the resort is quite stunning, with the reception being located on the top of the hill with great views of the lush tropical vegetation and the temple on the other side of the valley. Although our room was not ready when we arrived, check-in was effective and we decided to take a lunch at their cafe. Great views, nice atmosphere, spotless and friendly service. Food was very good too, with prices around 12-20 USD for a main dish. There is also a kid menu, which was quite handy for my girlfriend 5-year old boy.

We stayed 2 nights but in 2 different rooms, as this was the only option I found on the Internet. First night was in a riverside room that I booked on Expedia for around 475 USD including taxes, the second night was in a Panoramic Pool Suite that I booked on Ratestogo.com for around 350 USD all included (good bargain).

The riverside room (#71) was very nice, with a private infinity pool and bale but a bit dark. It is located in the lower part of the resort, close to the river. In this room we actually had only 2 hours of sun, from 10:00 till 12.00. Additional bed for the kid has been provided free of charge.

The panoramic pool suite (#10) shares part of the layout with the riverside room but has a additional separate room with bathroom (with a kid's bed and a 2nd flat screen tv), a larger terrace and stunning views over the steep slopes facing the resort and the hindu temple. There is also a massage table on a separate terrace next to the main bathroom for in-room spa treatments. I definitely recommend this room over the riverside one. It is just awesome.

All the staff is very efficient and friendly and I found the food at the restaurant excellent. Try the 'kobacha' soup (pumpkin soup) - it is one of the most delicious dishes I ever had. Peking duck was pretty good as well. Kangyu beef was just a bit disapointing - I would skip this one. Coconut panna cotta was great and passion fruit creme brulee very good too.

Small disapointment with the breakfast, especially considering the quality of the food served for dinner. The breakfast is open until 10:30 and twice we arrived a bit before 10:00 and many of the meals were not renewed anymore. No rice powridge for instance, soup and noodles were barely warm, few fruits available. Independently from this, choice is average (no pancakes or waffles, just eggs 'a la minute') and quality good but not great. I expect more from a 5 star resort.

Also I was surprised that there is no gym. This was no a big deal as we only stayed 2 days but I could have chosen another resort if I had decided to stay for a longer period of time.

Internet access is providedd free of charge. It is WI-FI in the cafe and restaurant (slow but ok). They also have wired free access in the rooms but, for whatever reason, it did not work with my laptop. I did not try to fix it though, and used the wifi at the cafe instead.

The resort is located 30 min from Ubud centre. We did not use the free shuttle but they provide a prompt private car service for 15 usd one way anytime. The car is waiting for you when you're shopping for instance and can even take you to several locatios within Ubud, so that was quite convenient.

Take note that this area of Bali is not as sunny as Nusa Dua and the weather is often quite covered (due to the proximity of the volcans we were told). Still I highly recommend staying in this area. You do not get the real Bali experience by staying in a beach resort only.

Overall, a great experience in a wonderful place. Improve the breakfast a bit and that will be perfect! Still, 5 points for me.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CKGG
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank your for taking the time to write such a detailed account regarding your two day stay. I am delighted to hear that your overall experience was a positive one and that the property suitably anticipated your needs.

I appreciate that you recognised the gentle beauty of our hinterland location, which is a complete contrast to the resorts of south Bali. While we don’t get as much sun as our beach-side counterparts we do offer insight into the rich tapestry of art, culture and religion that colours everyday life rural Bali.

I have duly noted your observations regarding the choice of cuisine and operation hours of our buffet breakfast. While we do try to anticipate the needs of our international clientele, there are obviously some personal favourites that we will have to take into careful consideration.

Ubud Hanging Gardens was created as a retreat for discerning travellers to unwind and escape the pressures of modern living. For this reason, our in-house facilities are focused towards relaxation with a refreshing pool environment, library and spa facility for moments of personal indulgence. There has never been an obvious need for a gym but I will certainly look into the feasibility of creating such a facility.

Once again, thank you for sharing your impressions of the property. I hope that you will consider returning to Ubud Hanging Garden’s on future travels to Bali and until then I wish you all the very best.

Reviewed August 14, 2009

We stayed in the hanging gardens as a break from busy Kuta. It was peaceful, relaxed and breathtaking. The ubud hanging gardens are kept in fantastic condition. We really enjoyed our time there. We had a couples massage and the room and sounds from outside were really relaxing. I particularly loved the infinity pool and looking out at the forest. At night the noises from the wildlife are unreal. I must say that this is the nicest place to stay for a relaxing breaking in Bali. It is not to be missed. Just for the views and peace it is worth the money. Also the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2009

Greetings from sunny Ubud,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your time spent at the hotel. It is obvious that your experience was a welcomed contrast from the hustle and bustle of Kuta. I am delighted that you appreciated the natural beauty of our hinterland locations and found peace of mind during your stay.

Bali is an island of such diversity and there are many unique areas just waiting to be discovered. Ubud is a particular favourite for seasoned travellers with its artistic vibe, cultural traditions and rural landscape.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens and I am glad that all your needs for a restful getaway were anticipated by our dedicated team of stay. I hope that you will return on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali and until then I wish you all the very best.

Nicolas Pillet

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Ayung Resort Ubud
Ayung Resort Ubud
#3 of 10 in Payangan
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!