“Liked it but did not quite meet expectations”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
Hong Kong
“Liked it but did not quite meet expectations”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel is definitely nice, but the rooms are slightly tired and a bit dark. We had a villa at the very top just one level below the reception area, which are probably the brightest rooms at the property but nevertheless the bedroom and living room are quite dark even during the day. The outdoor private pools are great, however, and the fact that they are heated makes them even more enjoyable. The main pool is probably the most stunning feature but I must say, it looks better in pictures than it actually is, mostly due to relatively limited deck space and from the main deck you always need to go down the stairs if you want to go for a swim. The restaurant is very nice and the food was great both for breakfast and dinner. Although we enjoyed our stay, I'd probably go back to one of the other hotels we had experienced in Ubud on previous trips. We felt the price didn't quite justify the overall experience compared to other properties. But, that does depend on one's priorities. For me, the rooms were just not quite up-to-date enough for the price we paid.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend rooms higher up in the valley as opposed to down by the river. They are...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelTastic4Ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I just spent two nights and three days at Hanging Gardens at the end of 16 days in Bali. I wish I'd started my trip at Hanging Gardens and spent 3 nights there. The wall of green jungle, the sound of the jungle at the start and end of each day, with the river rushing beneath, in our private pool villa finally made me relax totally and fall in love with Bali all over again.

The highlight of my entire trip was the visit across the river, with a guide, over a bamboo bridge (the guide kindly carried our 5 year old son) to see the priest in a little temple to have our souls 'washed'. I want to bring this man to our advertising agency in Sydney once a year! It was amazing. I closed my eyes as the prayers with flowers and chanting from the priest continued and could literally see the black stress from my body rippling away from me. And here's the funny thing - my eyes change colour but are usually a grey, blue, yellow and green combo. After a day and night at Hanging Gardens, and the blessing from the priest, they went fully green! What a lovely thing for our son to experience too.

The main pool deserves all the attention it gets. It's mind blowingly amazing once you get inside. I don't understand the review about it being overrun by backpackers. This wasn't my experience AT ALL.

I met the crack new management team, the best of the best from New York, Vegas and Australia. The plans they have for the hotel blew my mind. I love the way the produce is carefully selected and an organic garden is being planted.

The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. The turn down service is the best I've ever experienced, and I'm a Platinum frequent flyer, so I know my turn down's. They literally reset the entire villa but do so in an inobtrusive way if you happen to be in residence at the time.

I love the wooden cabinet in the double bathroom that has toothbrushes and toothpaste, plus little sachets of detergent. Again, in all my 5 star hotel experiences, this is a first.

I had treatments in Bali every day or second day, and know where to go to get the best ones. Again the treatment I had at Hanging Gardens was the stand out of my trip. Traditional Balinese herbs and spices pressed into the skin to encourage blood flow (it feels like a hot rock massage but better) followed by Balinese massage with scented oil, all the while listening to the sounds of the jungle and occasionally looking at the beautiful flower petal arrangement on the floor when my mind wandered. I slept like a kitten after that treatment.

My only complaint is flat tonic in one of my very reasonably priced Grey Gooses. First world problems... Every meal was flawless. Perhaps a bit more of a selection of fruit in the breakfast buffet and I would rate the food 10/10. The perfect soft boiled eggs (and I mean perfect every time) with a paint stroke of hollandaise cleverly put on the plate were the best boiled eggs of my life.

I will return with my family to Hanging Gardens. When my life in Sydney gets a bit stressful I'll close my eyes and imagine I'm there. I've kept one of the cards with a saying that they put on your bed for turn down and am going to put it up in my office so I can keep a little bit of the feeling of Hanging Gardens with me every day.

There are so many cool and fun activities in Ubud that the hotel provides that I would have tried had I stayed the extra night. I'll be quad biking in the jungle with the family next time for sure...

Anyone who doesn't like this incredible hotel either doesn't know how to live or relax or something. But you get those kind of people on Trip Adviser that's for sure.

Room Tip: The duplex villa was great for us with our son. A break from cartoons. Horray! Have a shower outside...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Abbyroman
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Abby,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with me and others via Trip Advisor.

I am so pleased you enjoyed and I have had the pleasure of sharing your prose with our appreciative team of Balinese experience providers.

Your detail has helped me to emphasize the importance of the experiential holiday and that the individual preferences taken away by each of our guests are as unique as our individual team members and partners..

We are so pleased you recognized the value and share our pride in this special sanctuary oasis.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and often. Thank you again for taking the time to share your intimate, personal experience.

Warm regards,

John
gm@hanginggardensubud.com
Limassol, Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying sorry for posting my review just now..
Hanging Gardens...just an amazing place..yes a bit expensive, but then again..it's Hanging Gardens..
Guys, it's a really 5 stars establishment, with all the toppings and extras..
We stayed in, at the end of November, and it was amazing..
The check in, the staff, the facilities, the swimming pool, the Villa...guys...the Villa..it's something else..But again, you have to stay in order to experience..don't take all the reviews seriously..some of them are really silly.."there were bugs on our veranda"..come on..the hotel is in the middle of a tropical forest, not in the middle of Hong Kong...guys when u post a review and u feel that u want to complain about something, at least have something concrete to cry about..anyway..
We had a small issue with the breakfast..didn't know that the small cards they leave hanging by your door in the evening, are actually orders for your breakfast in your Villa..well..didn't know that..The breakfast was out of this world..AMAZING..
At the check out, I told them about the misunderstanding and they fix it on the spot..
Also, another thing they kind of forgot..
Before arriving to the hotel, we sent them an email, explaining that the day we are checking out, is actually the day we are getting married, so we were expecting something extra from the hotel...especially that we got a email telling us that,, honeymoon decoration in the villa will be provided..
We did not get anything..sad..
But, at the check out, we did mention this to Tari, a very sweet and attentive front office employee, which immediately took action, and returned with a small present for me and my wife..it was very nice of her, and remember..becouse of people like Tari, we will return to the hotel..they make all the difference..give her a promotion..she deserve it..
So Thank You Hanging Gardens for a beautiful time..
We will be back.

Radu & Irina

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Radu & Irina,

I just saw your review of Hanging Gardens Ubud and wanted to personally thank you for your kind words, which have been shared with the team here, who always appreciate feedback.

So sorry the information about your wedding day was mislaid – we hope it all went well and wish you every happiness.

We very much look forward to your next visit.

Warmest,

Resort Manager
Payson, Arizona
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This property has a LOT of potential! The setting is gorgeous, having your own villa with your own private plunge pool (that you can actually swim in) is romantic, and the couples massages in the open-air palapa are wonderful (and just what is needed after long flights to get there). What is needed is consistency and better communication skills by the staff. We went down for breakfast the first morning and had excellent service and lots of variety. The next morning, the staff was different (and indifferent) and the choices fewer. Also their descriptions of offerings on the website need to be updated. The morning "walk" is actually a hiking trek, which requires more than walking shoes and a walking stick to help get you up and down steep muddy terrain during the rainy season. Also, the reception staff (and yes, I know I am in another country) needs to learn more English. Most of those staying there were either American or Australian. They did not know how to respond to questions at times. No property is perfect and no guest is either, but this had been touted as a 5-star property so that is what we expected. This used to be an Orient Express property but the owner recently decided to manage it. Hopefully he is working on issues like this.

Room Tip: Rooms near the top always get sun so the pool water temperature was nice and warm. Also, rooms 11...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beav16
Brisbane
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We paid approx $800 US per night to relax at the high end hotel in Ubud. One of the biggest draw cards of this hotel compared to others was the pool. What they don't mention on the website is that every day cabs full of rowdy backpackers arrive to use the pool which they are allowed to do for $20 for the day. This means there were no deck chairs available for guests and it the atmosphere degenerated into a hostel like scene of yelling, bomb dives and endless photo taking.

• Stayed December 2013
24 Thank Rebecca L
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Rll1986,

Thank you for your feedback about our hotel pool use. We are very disappointed to hear that you were not happy with this aspect of your stay and have looked in-depth into this issue.

During December, and in the spirit of Christmas, we did indeed make a few exceptions and allow outside guests to use the pool. These exceptions were mainly for friends of hotel guests, visiting the hotel for spa treatments or lunch.

We apologise sincerely these guests did not behave in an appropriate manner, and will ensure no repeat of this scenario.

We do currently still allow outside guests to enjoy our restaurants and our spa treatments, however hotel guests are always given priority bookings.

We pride ourselves on being a five star private luxury hotel, situated in the heart of the serene rainforest and are truly sorry that your experience was not up to our usual standards.

We would very much like to welcome you back to the hotel one day to enjoy the full tranquillity of our property and allow us to make up for your disappointment - please contact me personally should you be visiting again.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed 4 nights here in October and its a great place if you just want to relax and spend some time with your loved ones. Located right on a hill slope within a valley the views are breathtaking. Restaurant menu is pretty decent and spa was fantastic.

Pool looked great but it was too cold! Maybe due to the time of the year and its location in a valley.

Service is good but not outstanding. Discrete and adequate

Overall a great place just to get away from it all and rest and recuperate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is an exceptional nice place. Hidden in the Forest of Ubutu.
A very good place to relax for a few days and regenerate.

Out experience is as follow:
• The Reception is nice and friendly.
• The rooms, as expected nice and clean. Also the pool of the villa.
• The Veranda, especially the chairs. do not really invite to spend some time on it.
. The railing could use some fresh varnish.
• Restaurant and Kitchen are really good.
o All Food we enjoyed was fresh and well prepared, and also served on nice plates with Balinese decoration. Well Done.
o Superb Beef Tenderloin!
o Breakfast Buffet does not leave any wish.
• If you promise free WiFi, you got to look for a functioning WiFi, and not used the remote place as an excuse for almost non existing WiFi.
• The staff is quit friendly but somehow a bit artificial.

Let me put it this way. For spoiled people like us there is about 25% room for improvement. Try a bit harder, you got the potential.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WBa1
Dear WBa1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We appreciate your business and value your contribution, as we recognize your you as a seasoned reviewer.

All your points are important and have been carefully addressed and indeed many are already on our current scope of improvement works, with some such as the breakfast buffet already actioned, and others such as the Wi-Fi and continued staff training as red-hot priorities.

We are pleased with your encouragement to reach our full potential and will, for sure, try harder to improve and impress  that elusive 25% and definitely want all our guests to feel pampered, appreciated and spoiled!

Please do return and give us an opportunity to share with your our improvements.

Best regards,

resortmanager@hanginggardensubud.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Komaneka at Bisma
Komaneka at Bisma
#16 of 198 in Ubud
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!